What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A thread to celebrate our kids Non-Athletic accomplishments. (1 Viewer)

snellman

Footballguy
I didn't feel right clogging up the Athletic Accomplishments thread so I decided to start a new thread to celebrate the accomplishments of our non athletic kids (mine is too smart to be athletic, he thinks to much instead of just acting :lmao: He is built like an athlete, but too smart)

My son's school has 4 robotics teams. This is the 3rd year of the program and they went from 1 team in the first year, to 3 last year and 4 this year. It is with First Tech Challenge. I know one other Robotics is VEX, because that is what my daughter was involved in Minnesota and what she judges now that she is out of college. Here is a link to an over view of it FIRST Tech Challenge.

They finished 9 overall out of 24 teams for the season. This last weekend was the league championship. The top 9 teams get to go to the State competition. The top 4 teams get to pick their alliance which consists of 2 other teams and themselves which compete in a tournament that is best out of 3 matches. My son's team was picked by the #1 seed, but unfortunately got knocked out of the first round. One of the schools other 3 teams was the #2 seed, they picked the 2 remaining teams from my son's school and won the tournament which guarantees those 3 teams are going to state.

The teams are also judged on a number of factors, which have awards and are factored into a team getting to state. One of those awards is the Connect award, which is explained below:

Connecting the dots between community, FIRST, and the diversity of the engineering world. This judged award is given to the Team that most connects with their local science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) community. A true FIRST Team is more than a sum of its parts and recognizes that engaging their local STEM community plays an essential part in their success. The recipient of this award is recognized for helping the community understand FIRST, the FIRST Tech Challenge, and the Team itself. The Team that wins the Connect Award actively seeks and recruits engineers and explores the opportunities available in the world of engineering, science, and technology. This Team has a clear Team Plan and has identified steps to achieve their goals. Required Criteria for the Connect Award: • Team must show respect and Gracious Professionalism® to everyone they meet at a FIRST Tech Challenge event. • Team must submit an Engineering Portfolio. • Portfolio must include a Team Plan that covers the Team’s goals for the development of Team member skills, and the steps the Team has taken or will take to reach those goals. Examples of what the plan could include are timelines, outreach to science, engineering, and math communities, and training courses. • Portfolio must include a summary of how the Team acquired new mentors or acquired new knowledge and expertise from a mentor. Working with mentors from FIRST’s Mentor Matching site is an acceptable way to learn from mentors. Strongly Suggested Criteria for the Connect Award: • Team provides clear examples of developing in person or virtual connections with individuals in the engineering, science, or technology community. • Team actively engages with the engineering community to help them understand FIRST, the FIRST Tech Challenge, and the Team itself. • The Team should refer to the Award Definitions for judging outlined in Appendix F for outreach and be able to provide supporting documentation to the judges, where applicable.
My son's team got first for this award which is an automatic qualification for state. All 4 teams from my son's school made the state tournament in only the 3rd year of the program. It was a pretty proud moment and I am very thankful that despite being a relatively small school (435 students 9-12) they have programs like this for students that want to take part. Sorry for the long post, just trying to explain the robotics program as much as possible.

I would love to hear more stories.

I didn't feel right clogging up the Athletic Accomplishments thread so I decided to start a new thread to celebrate the accomplishments of our non athletic kids (mine is too smart to be athletic, he thinks to much instead of just acting :lmao: He is built like an athlete, but too smart)

My son's school has 4 robotics teams. This is the 3rd year of the program and they went from 1 team in the first year, to 3 last year and 4 this year. It is with First Tech Challenge. I know one other Robotics is VEX, because that is what my daughter was involved in Minnesota and what she judges now that she is out of college. Here is a link to an over view of it FIRST Tech Challenge.

They finished 9 overall out of 24 teams for the season. This last weekend was the league championship. The top 9 teams get to go to the State competition. The top 4 teams get to pick their alliance which consists of 2 other teams and themselves which compete in a tournament that is best out of 3 matches. My son's team was picked by the #1 seed, but unfortunately got knocked out of the first round. One of the schools other 3 teams was the #2 seed, they picked the 2 remaining teams from my son's school and won the tournament which guarantees those 3 teams are going to state.

The teams are also judged on a number of factors, which have awards and are factored into a team getting to state. One of those awards is the Connect award, which is explained below:

Connecting the dots between community, FIRST, and the diversity of the engineering world. This judged award is given to the Team that most connects with their local science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) community. A true FIRST Team is more than a sum of its parts and recognizes that engaging their local STEM community plays an essential part in their success. The recipient of this award is recognized for helping the community understand FIRST, the FIRST Tech Challenge, and the Team itself. The Team that wins the Connect Award actively seeks and recruits engineers and explores the opportunities available in the world of engineering, science, and technology. This Team has a clear Team Plan and has identified steps to achieve their goals. Required Criteria for the Connect Award: • Team must show respect and Gracious Professionalism® to everyone they meet at a FIRST Tech Challenge event. • Team must submit an Engineering Portfolio. • Portfolio must include a Team Plan that covers the Team’s goals for the development of Team member skills, and the steps the Team has taken or will take to reach those goals. Examples of what the plan could include are timelines, outreach to science, engineering, and math communities, and training courses. • Portfolio must include a summary of how the Team acquired new mentors or acquired new knowledge and expertise from a mentor. Working with mentors from FIRST’s Mentor Matching site is an acceptable way to learn from mentors. Strongly Suggested Criteria for the Connect Award: • Team provides clear examples of developing in person or virtual connections with individuals in the engineering, science, or technology community. • Team actively engages with the engineering community to help them understand FIRST, the FIRST Tech Challenge, and the Team itself. • The Team should refer to the Award Definitions for judging outlined in Appendix F for outreach and be able to provide supporting documentation to the judges, where applicable.
My son's team got first for this award which is an automatic qualification for state. All 4 teams from my son's school made the state tournament in only the 3rd year of the program. It was a pretty proud moment and I am very thankful that despite being a relatively small school (435 students 9-12) they have programs like this for students that want to take part. Sorry for the long post, just trying to explain the robotics program as much as possible.

I would love to hear more stories.
That's awesome, congrats! The things the robotics teams do is amazing. My kids, while both mid/high 90's students, always leaned toward the athletics so they never got involved with them.

In May, our high school had a team take first place at the Odyssey of the Mind world finals. When the town over from ours won the Little League World Series a few years ago, there was a "home of the world champs" road sign put up on the highway near us. Just before Christmas this year, the Odyssey of the Mind team was surprised with their own "Home of the World Champs" road sign proclaiming their accomplishment. I thought that was pretty cool.

Last year, my son got a D in his AP Algebra class.

So he retook the class this year and got......a D again.

Wait, are these supposed to be good things?
Does he have to take AP Algebra?

My oldest boy is just not an algebra guy. He took AP classes in a couple of other areas but just took regular algebra.

My oldest boy is just not an algebra guy. He took AP classes in a couple of other areas but just took regular algebra.
No, he was trying to do some more advanced stuff, but just couldn't figure this one out. He is in regular HS Algebra this semester.

I was mad at him for never asking me for any help. Math was my thing in school...but I think he was embarrassed to be struggling with it which we've tried to turn into a life lesson about swallowing pride and how it is OK not to be good at something.

No, he was trying to do some more advanced stuff, but just couldn't figure this one out. He is in regular HS Algebra this semester.

I was mad at him for never asking me for any help. Math was my thing in school...but I think he was embarrassed to be struggling with it which we've tried to turn into a life lesson about swallowing pride and how it is OK not to be good at something.
I have a math degree my daughter asked me for help a couple times .... I had to google :bag: and still didnt "get it"

Pro tip I learned with my oldest who is a freshman in college this year - for a class like that, where they know they may struggle but still want the shot at earning the college credit while in high school, instead of taking the AP class, dual enroll at a local JC - can take a math class there are still get the college credit without it all riding on the result of one exam. My oldest is very smart, but for him it was Calculus that kicked his butt (dd great in algebra/geometry type classes). He knew after the first week that it wasn't for him. Pulled out of the AP class from high school and enrolled in a freshman math class at the local JC. Passed that, got the exact same college credit that he'd get from passing the AP exam, didn't get the GPA hit on his high school transcript if he had struggled all year, plus, at least for the California universities, they cap the number of honors and AP classes that count towards your weighted GPA so there was even less benefit for him to take the class.

:lmao:
The dude is taking algebra for the third year in a row?

Well, 3rd semester in a row....so a year and a half?

Take the D and move on :)

Take the D and move on :)
TWSS TWSS

I have a math degree my daughter asked me for help a couple times .... I had to google :bag: and still didnt "get it"
Don't feel bad, when my son was in elementary, he asked for help with a math problem. I helped him with it and we got it wrong even the the answer was right because we didn't use the correct process to get the answer. Thankfully math is his strong suit (he has been a grade ahead in math since 6th grade) and he hasn't had to ask for my help since.

Don't feel bad, when my son was in elementary, he asked for help with a math problem. I helped him with it and we got it wrong even the the answer was right because we didn't use the correct process to get the answer. Thankfully math is his strong suit (he has been a grade ahead in math since 6th grade) and he hasn't had to ask for my help since.
OMG - lol I just had a flashback. My daughter was in 5th grade and doing the "new core comp" math. She had one problem she had to show the answer with some block diagram...... It took me 30 minutes of trying to figure out WTF they were trying to do even though it took me 3 seconds to get the answer but not their way..... even my daughter knew it without using the "proper method"....I'm getting pissed off my daughter is getting upset that I'm upset, i tell her im not mad at you , I'm mad at this dumb thing that makes no sense..... they never showed her how to do it if the answer was > then 1 or something so we were left there just guessing and me raging :lmao:

The couple physics/adavnced algebra I had to google..... She was always ahead also but had a couple bumps along the way......

I'm eagerly awaiting the third installment: A thread to celebrate our non-athletic kids' accomplishments. You guys won't get me to shut up in that one

My 16 year old just completed his first solo flight in his pilot training. His goal is to be a commercial airline pilot, and we were lucky that our local high school was one of I believe only 2 in the county that actually has an aviation program. He has absolutely loved it. Next steps are to work towards doing the "cross-country" solo which for him is going to be flying from Fullerton to San Diego and back. He chose that as his route, because once he works up and gets cleared for his private license and can have a passenger in the plane, he wants to be able to fly his brother, who attends college in San Diego, back to school.

It is very exciting to not only see your kid have a passion and a dream but to actually see them living it out.

OMG - lol I just had a flashback. My daughter was in 5th grade and doing the "new core comp" math. She had one problem she had to show the answer with some block diagram...... It took me 30 minutes of trying to figure out WTF they were trying to do even though it took me 3 seconds to get the answer but not their way..... even my daughter knew it without using the "proper method"....I'm getting pissed off my daughter is getting upset that I'm upset, i tell her im not mad at you , I'm mad at this dumb thing that makes no sense..... they never showed her how to do it if the answer was > then 1 or something so we were left there just guessing and me raging :lmao:
I had a similar thing with my youngest, in algebra I think. They were having the students solve optimization problems by putting multiple inequality equations on graphs??? It was so bizarre. She was getting pretty frustrated, and at one point I said "don't worry, you'll NEVER have to actually do anything like this ever again because it is stupid and makes no sense to solve it this way"

The other earlier thing that nearly broke my brain as an engineer was the rounding unit where you had to do things like write 42 + 53 = 90 :loco:

My 16 year old just completed his first solo flight in his pilot training. His goal is to be a commercial airline pilot, and we were lucky that our local high school was one of I believe only 2 in the county that actually has an aviation program. He has absolutely loved it. Next steps are to work towards doing the "cross-country" solo which for him is going to be flying from Fullerton to San Diego and back. He chose that as his route, because once he works up and gets cleared for his private license and can have a passenger in the plane, he wants to be able to fly his brother, who attends college in San Diego, back to school.

It is very exciting to not only see your kid have a passion and a dream but to actually see them living it out.
I've never even HEARD of high school aviation training here in the Midwest.

That seems awesome and congrats to your kid.

This is fantastic. :thumbup:

I'm eagerly awaiting the third installment: A thread to celebrate our non-athletic kids' accomplishments. You guys won't get me to shut up in that one
Aren't you in that thread.....like.......right now?

Or am I so dense I'm missing what you are saying? :lol:
I was afraid to ask......
According to the title, it's the accomplishments that are non-athletic. I'm talking about the kids. It's a subtle difference :wink:

It's a subtle difference

It's very subtle. The kids here could be athletic; it's just that their accomplishment isn't.

The other thread is for non-athletic kids' accomplishments, which implies some sort of scholastic/artistic/voag achievement, but confers upon the student the "non-athletic" title.

There, I'm done translating for the day.

You sure he's not messing with you? As far as I can tell, there's no such thing as AP Algebra (at least based on College Board AP tests).

This is amazing!

You sure he's not messing with you? As far as I can tell, there's no such thing as AP Algebra (at least based on College Board AP tests).
HS interchange AP/Honors for the highest level of the school.

Not until they hit the actual courses that are AP actually AP. So for example, Honors/AP Algebra would be the "same level" for Algebra as a HS AP Calculus class.....

Maybe it was honors? I know it was Algebra and it wasn't the regular HS level class, but some kind of college recognized version.

He and my wife handle most of that stuff, I just smack him around when he screws up. (that's a joke, please don't call CPS on me)

Maybe it was honors? I know it was Algebra and it wasn't the regular HS level class, but some kind of college recognized version.

He and my wife handle most of that stuff, I just smack him around when he screws up. (that's a joke, please don't call CPS on me)
📲:hophead:

I had a buddy like this in high school. Barely scraped by to get into a 4 year university after failing algebra like 6 times. Eventually he passed.

He's now a partner in a law firm and very successful.

Good luck to your son.

I had a buddy like this in high school. Barely scraped by to get into a 4 year university after failing algebra like 6 times. Eventually he passed.

He's now a partner in a law firm and very successful.

Good luck to your son.
I'm not worried about him. The best thing about it is him learning to struggle/fail at something.

Kid has gone through a lot more adversity in HS than I did and he'll come out better for it. I expect he'll be really good at something...just not sure what yet.

My daughter got one b+ and all A's her first college semester in the engineering program while doing her off-season workouts. Was pretty proud of her
My student athlete (son) made the deans list in his first semester of college while doing his 8 week fall baseball program. Proud papa as well!

Now the grind starts in two weeks as his team begins preparations for his first Spring collegiate season. If he makes the Deans list again....that will be damn awesome.

My daughter got one b+ and all A's her first college semester in the engineering program while doing her off-season workouts. Was pretty proud of her
My daughter majored in Mechanical Engineering. It was a pretty brutal path in college, but she finished with a 3.8 gpa and 5 years later, she has a great job and is making Bank.

My daughter majored in Mechanical Engineering. It was a pretty brutal path in college, but she finished with a 3.8 gpa and 5 years later, she has a great job and is making Bank.
THats her current intended major :)

Thanks - we got real lucky that it is even a program - this year's class (for 3rd year aviation students) is quite literally reading the FAA manual and taking tests on it, which is basically what they need to do fr some of the certifications to be licensed for passengers, etc., so very practical curriculum. Previous years included a lot on understanding the lingo of communicating with the tower, reading weather charts, plotting courses and some simulator work, among many other things.

And he just let me know that weather permitting, Monday is when he will be flying to San Diego with his instructor. I thought he had to get several more hours in, but apparently he is there already.

My daughter is getting ready to graduate college early this year and has been asked for a second time to give a presentation on a piece of art at the Art Institute in Chicago. Majoring in History and Museum studies she is trying to be a curator. Super proud as the presentation is 15 minutes long and given before the general public in the Art Institute along with presentations given by Professors from her school and Musuem staff.

12yo floppinha is Davey in her MS musical, Newsies. Everybody else is double-cast except her... Told by the director/head she and the character are the glue that hold the entire show together. For an introvert, she really loves performing- but only when she's worked hard preparing herself... which is every time. Super proud of her and watching her grow into all of this.

Shows all week. Try the veal.

I started flight training back when I was like 12 or maybe even younger. I was given the books and started to really dive in.... then realized how much math was involved and then my interest waned. Same thing for Aeronautical Engineer which is what I wanted to do up until about 13 or so as well as I took a drafting class and realized how much math it was.

I really didn't like math.

My 16yo HS Jr son is in Juilliards pre-college program as a percussionist.

Will be playing with the NY Philharmonic at Lincoln Center in a couple weeks, and JUST found out that next year Stuart Copeland (the Police) will be in-house writing a piece for the percussion ensemble!!

The state robotics competition didn't go quite as well as hoped. One team of the 4 did make it to the final elimination tournament. It was a very good learning experience for all. Their robotics teams went to a local community college this week, networking and trying to increase their local outreach.

The made the local news as one of the top stories. MOC-FV students show of robot building skills Little snellman was the first one to be interviewed. “There’s a lot more of it that doesn’t really come from just being booksmart,” :ROFLMAO: Spoken like a true "booksmart" kid.

Will be playing with the NY Philharmonic at Lincoln Center in a couple weeks, and JUST found out that next year Stuart Copeland (the Police) will be in-house writing a piece for the percussion ensemble!!
Hey GB - FYI, I almost went into music instead of business as a career …as a percussionist (band/orchestral). But I wasn’t skilled with mallet instruments, and went with accounting. No major regrets, but I always wonder…

I’ll always be interested to hear about your son’s development with it!

We had our 5 y.o. grandson over at our house (his usual Friday with us), and while having lunch, he suddenly raised his hand to shut off conversation. After some silence, he explained that Phil Collins’ In The Air Tonight was on the radio (which I hadn’t noticed) and he had to hear the drum intro. Some life skills just can’t be taught.

Hey GB - FYI, I almost went into music instead of business as a career …as a percussionist (band/orchestral). But I wasn’t skilled with mallet instruments, and went with accounting. No major regrets, but I always wonder…

I’ll always be interested to hear about your son’s development with it!
Thanks gb!

It's likely he won't continue with percussion past college, but might be tangentially involved in some way. He's doing an independent research project at school about music pharma/therapy to treat tinnitus (he and I both have it). He's also gotten really into songwriting, and that may be a direction he goes too. The joy of having boundless directions to pursue!

Eta... But we've always told him if some band hes in hits at all, he should go all in and ride that out.

Users who are viewing this thread