What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is your washing machine "intelligent"? (1 Viewer)

CletiusMaximus

Footballguy
I'm buying a new laundry set in the next week or so and my wife and I - for whatever reason - are aggressively opposed to the models that connect to the internet. At first I thought those were probably the latest and greatest quality anyway, and we could just disable wifi and not use those functions, whatever the hell they are. But I'm worried the machine might not function at all if you don't download the app and connect your laundry to your internet - like, they force it on you whether you want it or not. Yes, we're old stubborn people. I am reluctant to admit that I kind of like having a smart garage door since I installed one last year because when I get that "oh no, did I forget to close the garage door?" feeling I can confirm on my phone. But a washing machine?

Is your washing machine connected to the world-wide web? If so, what purpose does that serve? Because I feel like we're almost in a situation where we're limiting our options by refusing to buy a set with that tech.

Washing machine is one of those things that I'm not looking for alot. A couple of different cycles is nice. Trying to innovate new ways to lower water consumption or improve detergent efficiency is cool. Being able to repair it relatively easy is essential. Just because you can throw bluetooth, a screen and wifi capability into something; doesn't mean you should....nor does it make it better.

Washing machine is one of those things that I'm not looking for alot. A couple of different cycles is nice. Trying to innovate new ways to lower water consumption or improve detergent efficiency is cool. Being able to repair it relatively easy is essential. Just because you can throw bluetooth, a screen and wifi capability into something; doesn't mean you should....nor does it make it better.
Have you ever watched the November Rain music video on your laundry machine's internet enabled touch screen though? Changed my fn life bro

It wrote 2 novels, but they weren’t very good so I would say “sort of”
Oh ****, are you the owner of that LG 300X? I mean it's not Faulkner but damn does that washing machine know it's prose. I would put The Suds Also Rise up there with anything Wharton or Twain wrote.

No, I avoid these. So it was Speedqueen in my old townhome and we have Maytag commercial grade ones now. Washer is top loaded with an agitator.

This is where I'm looking. Our old 1990's Maytag could take a beating but I think it's finally on its last legs. Looking for another 30 year machine and looking at these two. I have a Maytag commercial at one of my rentals and no issues so far after a few years but I've heard the speedqueens are on a different level so may just bite the bullet and never have to worry about it again until I'm on my deathbed.

It wrote 2 novels, but they weren’t very good so I would say “sort of”
Oh ****, are you the owner of that LG 300X? I mean it's not Faulkner but damn does that washing machine know it's prose. I would put The Suds Also Rise up there with anything Wharton or Twain wrote.
I have a million washing machines now working for a million years and they will eventually write Shakespeare

I'm buying a new laundry set in the next week or so and my wife and I - for whatever reason - are aggressively opposed to the models that connect to the internet. At first I thought those were probably the latest and greatest quality anyway, and we could just disable wifi and not use those functions, whatever the hell they are. But I'm worried the machine might not function at all if you don't download the app and connect your laundry to your internet - like, they force it on you whether you want it or not. Yes, we're old stubborn people. I am reluctant to admit that I kind of like having a smart garage door since I installed one last year because when I get that "oh no, did I forget to close the garage door?" feeling I can confirm on my phone. But a washing machine?

Is your washing machine connected to the world-wide web? If so, what purpose does that serve? Because I feel like we're almost in a situation where we're limiting our options by refusing to buy a set with that tech.
My washing machine is more intelligent than my 15 yo son…..

Overall I appreciate being able to control stuff with my phone or being able to see what’s up remotely.

I despise my phone buzzing or notifying me all the time so I really limit that to a few apps I think are needed for immediate notification. All devices and related apps allow that control.

I think most new appliances have this “online“ option these days. My washing machine / dryer has this and so does the dishwasher I just bought.

I deleted the washing machine app as it really only told me that the cycle was done and a few other options that were admittedly a bit useful like telling me to run a clean cycle. Wife loves this stuff so she follows that.

Dishwasher one is a bit more useful for me as I can start or change the cycle on my phone so I kept that one. Just don’t have it buzzing me all the time.

No, I avoid these. So it was Speedqueen in my old townhome and we have Maytag commercial grade ones now. Washer is top loaded with an agitator.

This is where I'm looking. Our old 1990's Maytag could take a beating but I think it's finally on its last legs. Looking for another 30 year machine and looking at these two. I have a Maytag commercial at one of my rentals and no issues so far after a few years but I've heard the speedqueens are on a different level so may just bite the bullet and never have to worry about it again until I'm on my deathbed.
Speed Queen had some design changes in models we were looking at in 2018 that it looks like they later tweaked. I think that is why we flipped to the Maytag. Seems both are pretty close in functionality although the durability reputation almost had me want to take my old Speed Queen out of the rental when I sold it. Only real downside is the noise.

When we built our house we went with a Speed Queen set. They had a special at the time that gave us a 10 year warranty on it. Wife wasn't happy with the choice because the only color they had was white. They have since come out with a DK grey/Black. Our local appliance store had an ad the other day for a single unit that washes and dries. Would be interesting to see the future of that.

Yeah, but I went about 3 years before setting it up. The only reason I bothered was my GF asked if it was possible to check the time remaining on a cycle without having to walk over to the machine as we were quite cozy on the couch.

That said, hooking it up allows the 'advanced' modes... Apparently there are pre-programmed cycles for like dress shirts or tablecloths or whatever you can only select thru the app... The machine dial only has the usual Delicates, Bedding, Normal, etc but there are 30 more in the app.

Yeah, but I went about 3 years before setting it up. The only reason I bothered was my GF asked if it was possible to check the time remaining on a cycle without having to walk over to the machine as we were quite cozy on the couch.

That said, hooking it up allows the 'advanced' modes... Apparently there are pre-programmed cycles for like dress shirts or tablecloths or whatever you can only select thru the app... The machine dial only has the usual Delicates, Bedding, Normal, etc but there are 30 more in the app.

This. I don’t have it connected to my phone so can’t run a “custom cycle”.

I bought an LG pair 6 weeks ago and have not connected to the internet. They still work. No idea what I am missing. I’m not sold on the front loading washer yet - may have made a mistake but too soon to tell.

Our new Thermador appliances are all "smart." My favorite thing to do is text my wife "Fridge is open" or "dishwasher is done," when I am at work and get the notification. When the oven starts pre-heating, I usually text "What are you making?"

On the one hand, today we can connect our household appliances to the internet for some reason. On the other hand, dishwasher cycles now take over two hours to complete.

Thank God.

It bothers me every time I use Regular with a non-smart machine, that I'm only ignoring 5 settings. I want to ignore 29 settings

Our new Thermador appliances are all "smart." My favorite thing to do is text my wife "Fridge is open" or "dishwasher is done," when I am at work and get the notification. When the oven starts pre-heating, I usually text "What are you making?"
I bet your wife appreciates how helpful you are being and how much you show interest in what she is up to.

Looking to buy an LG set this coming weekend as my research has lead me to believe that it’s the best combo of being good at washing and reliability. They are “smart” devices.

The idea of a few more things that could break/become obsolete in my appliances definitely makes me apprehensive though. My last set was a fairly basic Kenmore set that has lasted me 17 years with no issues until now. Adding more parts/technology seems like it’s just adding more stuff to break and need replaced.

I bet your wife appreciates how helpful you are being and how much you show interest in what she is up to.
Men can do housework too.

my last washing machine was looking around and reaching for things at like two weeks and the doctors said that was a sign of intelligence take that to the bank bromigos

In 2010 when I moved, bought a commercial grade Maytag from Home Depot. Top loader, not the cheapest or the priciest.
Other then replacing the lid lock switch ($30), still going strong.

I will spend serious money and time on it if it breaks again. I live by myself so there will be no planned buying of "smart' stuff
in my future.

My next big purchase might be the $1000 Samsung fridge that does not have a cold water hookup.

Our washing machine and dryer are both from 1994 and I am not replacing either one ever.

I did have to replace the rollers somewhat recently on our dryer, but that is more a maintenance item than a breakdown at that age.

If for some reason either does break and is not repairable, which is doubtful, then I will buy an old used washer or dryer from a used appliance store and get it fixed up.

Old appliances >> New appliances

Users who are viewing this thread