What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Oakland Raiders thread *** (1 Viewer)

WHo would you rather see on the roster, Kolb or Flynn?
I would rather have Flynn over Kolb.Who knows just because the Raiders trade for Flynn doesn't mean the Raiders still can't add Kolb as well to a cheap contract. Let Flynn, Pryor, and Kolb battle it out for the starting job.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHo would you rather see on the roster, Kolb or Flynn?
I would rather have Flynn over Kolb.Who knows just because the Raiders trade for Flynn doesn't mean the Raiders still can't add Kolb as well to a cheap contract. Let Flynn, Pryor, and Kolb battle it out for the starting job.
I would rather have Flynn. This would be Kolb's third stop already and while it would be Flynn's third too he has never really been given a shot to show what he can do. By no means is he a lock to be good, but I would rather take a shot on his potential.

Talent wise, I'd take Flynn over Kolb. (View both as backup QB talents lacking arm strength)

The Raiders need every pick they have, lacking a 2nd & 5th already due to Palmer and Aaron Curry. I'd give no better than 2013 6th and maybe a round or two higher 2014 pick.

I think people to need to elaborate on trading McFadden being a GOOD option for the raiders. There were reports the injuries were "flukish" and IMO, at his age (25) his best days are ahead of him, not behind him. People grasp onto the negative way too much. This is what you look for as a dynasty player. High Risk high reward if you have a solid roster NOT build around him as your #1 RB. To win. (Not talking about his FUTURE. Talking about winning FF.) Imagine growing in his position. (He's in a spot for a new contract. He needs to show what he's got)

Now there's a new offensive scheme for the raiders. I'm staying put. I think the raiders should too.

I sure hope we get more for Palmer than what we pay for Flynn. Looking like it might be two draft picks for Flynn. That's how many picks we used on QBs in the past two years? 2 for Palmer, 1 for Campbell, 1 for Pryor, and now maybe 2 more for Flynn. Might not be the end of it either.

I like Flynn as long as we use a west coast system. Would have been a good fit for Knapp. Knapp failed twice here though and we still have some of the players he failed with. The next step might have to be more change at WR.

We now need to upgrade nearly every position. 2013 is lost. Most of the positions we dont need to upgrade this year will be FAs in 2014 and its getting hard to imagine them wanting to return. It feels too much like a minor league team where guys just come here trying to prove themselves for the majors. Branch, Roach, and Brisiel are the only veterans signed for 3 years and last year's group of rookies havent been that impressive. Hard to get excited.

I sure hope we get more for Palmer than what we pay for Flynn. Looking like it might be two draft picks for Flynn. That's how many picks we used on QBs in the past two years? 2 for Palmer, 1 for Campbell, 1 for Pryor, and now maybe 2 more for Flynn. Might not be the end of it either.I like Flynn as long as we use a west coast system. Would have been a good fit for Knapp. Knapp failed twice here though and we still have some of the players he failed with. The next step might have to be more change at WR.We now need to upgrade nearly every position. 2013 is lost. Most of the positions we dont need to upgrade this year will be FAs in 2014 and its getting hard to imagine them wanting to return. It feels too much like a minor league team where guys just come here trying to prove themselves for the majors. Branch, Roach, and Brisiel are the only veterans signed for 3 years and last year's group of rookies havent been that impressive. Hard to get excited.
I think it is very unlikely Raiders get more for Palmer if anything at all. I think its more likely he is just released. Really good QBs can play in any system and I don't think we have nearly enough from Flynn to determine he can't play in any given system.

Getting Matt Flynn now doesn't make sense -- it's a better stopgap solution than relying on Pryor (who obviously the front office has zero faith), but still a stopgap. Flynn won't help us be that much more competitive in any way. Given the state of the squad, upgrading at QB for 2013 doesn't mean in any way that we will win x more games with Flynn, and it sets us back in terms of giving up scarce mid-round picks this year and next.

Let Palmer go, take the cap hit now. Let Pryor start and let him thrive or fail. Bring in Kolb for less risk and less outlay if you're worried about QB depth. Let us just get through this season, somehow retaining hope in our skill players (McFadden, Veldheer, Houston, Reece, etc.) that as bad as it will be this year, we have the plan to turn it around by Year 2.

Draft Floyd/Star this year. Ensure we can draft Clowney next year -- a line of Floyd/Star - Houston - Clowney is going to be a huge boon for us for many years to come. Use new cap space to leverage free agency and get some key difference makers in '14 and '15. Use draft picks wisely this year and next to build solid depth with BPAs. Use 2015 as the target year to have the team turned around and set up to be competitive that year and into the next few years -- by then, Denver's window will have closed and they will be on the decline, and we can be that much more in the running for the division.

The problems with this plan as I see it (and I know the Nation brain trust here will see many more) are:

1) Keeping present players motivated. More cap space may help us retain some more easily, but playing for a losing team tends to breed the desire for flight.

2) I don't trust McKenzie. Not yet, not with his FA track record. The move for Flynn reeks of Reggie going to known quantities like the guys he's worked with before to the possible detriment of opportunity cost.

3) Draft intangibles. Maybe it's having been through some unorthodox picks in the past, but if the Raiders take Geno Smith over a guy like Floyd or Lotulelei, will set us up on the wrong foot for this rebuilding plan.

Taking all the pain now, and doing the right things to set us up for lasting future success, is, paraphrasing the words of Boz himself (no, not the one one with the Mohawk who Bo ran over) a far, far better thing that we do, than we have ever done; this season's impending disaster is a far, far better rest that the Raiders go to than they have ever known.

I sure hope we get more for Palmer than what we pay for Flynn. Looking like it might be two draft picks for Flynn. That's how many picks we used on QBs in the past two years? 2 for Palmer, 1 for Campbell, 1 for Pryor, and now maybe 2 more for Flynn. Might not be the end of it either.I like Flynn as long as we use a west coast system. Would have been a good fit for Knapp. Knapp failed twice here though and we still have some of the players he failed with. The next step might have to be more change at WR.We now need to upgrade nearly every position. 2013 is lost. Most of the positions we dont need to upgrade this year will be FAs in 2014 and its getting hard to imagine them wanting to return. It feels too much like a minor league team where guys just come here trying to prove themselves for the majors. Branch, Roach, and Brisiel are the only veterans signed for 3 years and last year's group of rookies havent been that impressive. Hard to get excited.
I think it is very unlikely Raiders get more for Palmer if anything at all. I think its more likely he is just released.
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanforaWith the Raiders on verge of a trade for Matt Flynn, the Cardinals are nearing a deal for former Raiders starter Carson Palmer.

Palmer is a baby, and has no heart and is typical of the front running attitude I expect from USC players. Good riddens.

:thumbup:

The fans deserve better.

I think it is very unlikely Raiders get more for Palmer if anything at all. I think its more likely he is just released. Really good QBs can play in any system and I don't think we have nearly enough from Flynn to determine he can't play in any given system.
Palmer is far better than the weak group of FA QBs available. A number of teams are in need of a good QB and the rookie class is almost as bad as the FA class. Trading Palmer should be easy and we should get more than we are paying for Flynn. I never said Flynn is a great QB. He's a system QB simuliar to Schaub. He'll be fine in a west coast system that features a lot of short to intermediate passes requiring accuracy and quick decisions. I kinda thought we were getting away from that after firing Knapp and hiring Olsen. I guess the plan now is to mix a Knapp like passing attack with a McFadden friendly running game. We'll see if it works.

I think it is very unlikely Raiders get more for Palmer if anything at all. I think its more likely he is just released.

Really good QBs can play in any system and I don't think we have nearly enough from Flynn to determine he can't play in any given system.
Palmer is far better than the weak group of FA QBs available. A number of teams are in need of a good QB and the rookie class is almost as bad as the FA class. Trading Palmer should be easy and we should get more than we are paying for Flynn. I never said Flynn is a great QB. He's a system QB simuliar to Schaub. He'll be fine in a west coast system that features a lot of short to intermediate passes requiring accuracy and quick decisions. I kinda thought we were getting away from that after firing Knapp and hiring Olsen. I guess the plan now is to mix a Knapp like passing attack with a McFadden friendly running game. We'll see if it works.
It sounds like Olsen will at least be flexible and work with the personel on the team unlike Knapp. It will be an interesting season for sure.

I think you are overrating Palmer a bit and as far as Flynn I am not ready to just call him a system QB. I just do not think we have seen enough of him yet to make any determinations.

As a Seahawk fan I would be happy with a bag of Doritos for Flynn. Flynn is horrible, he has a weak arm, can't make all the throws....and in his last 9 years of playing football he only has 16 starts. That isn't what you want.....there is a reason he isn't starting ANYWHERE. The best you can hope for is he sucks it up and you get a high draft pick out of it.

As a Seahawk fan I would be happy with a bag of Doritos for Flynn. Flynn is horrible, he has a weak arm, can't make all the throws....and in his last 9 years of playing football he only has 16 starts. That isn't what you want.....there is a reason he isn't starting ANYWHERE. The best you can hope for is he sucks it up and you get a high draft pick out of it.
I'm sensing a trend. Is this the modern era of sports fans? At least Raiders fans have a reason to be mad even though Palmer doesnt deserve the blame. Seachicken fans dont even have a reason to be mad at Flynn.

Actually there are two reasons he isn't starting anywhere....Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. Not bad reasons.

'UnknownCoach said:
'ImTheScientist said:
I'm sensing a trend. Is this the modern era of sports fans? At least Raiders fans have a reason to be mad even though Palmer doesnt deserve the blame. Seachicken fans dont even have a reason to be mad at Flynn.
Actually the Raider fans do have a reason to be mad at Palmer. He refused to take a reasonable contract offer that would free up money the Raiders could use to improve the team elsewhere. His contract, which wasn't negotiated by the Raiders, far exceeds his value. Rather than be a team player, like Vick did with the Eagles, Palmer would rather be a backup on another team, revealing his lack of heart as well as his selfish nature.Like I said before, good riddens.

'ImTheScientist said:
That's why you thought he was dynasty QB 8 last year, huh?http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=637235

'ImTheScientist said:
matt flynn

Sure wish some news would break so that I would be able to move on with my day and stop looking at twitter every 10 minutes.

'ImTheScientist said:
That's why you thought he was dynasty QB 8 last year, huh?http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=637235

'ImTheScientist said:
matt flynn
:own3d: :lmao:

Sure wish some news would break so that I would be able to move on with my day and stop looking at twitter every 10 minutes.
Like us Raider fans haven't been tortured enough during the past decade, they will probably make us wait until next Thursday or Friday before we hear anything.

'Faust said:
If they can secure a pick for a player that they would be otherwise cutting, it would be a coup

Raiders talking to Cardinals about potential trade for Carson Palmer
Cards just need to wait for the Raiders to cut Palmer, not a long list of teams looking for Mr. Palmer and his contract.
Cardinals reportedly won't overpay for Carson Palmer

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The Arizona Cardinals have some interest in Carson Palmer, but they're not about to repeat the ill-fated decisions that led to landing Kevin Kolb two offseasons ago.

Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic reported Saturday that the Cardinals will deal for Palmer "only if it doesn't cost them much," according to sources. The Cardinals are looking to swap late-round draft picks with the Oakland Raiders, "possibly conditional on how, or if, Palmer plays," Somers noted.

That lines up with what NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Friday, saying the Cardinals are "doing their homework" on Palmer. Cardinals coach Bruce Arians likes Palmer's ability to get the ball downfield, but only if he's willing to play for drastically less than his unwieldy $13 million salary for 2013.

Rapoport noted Friday that Palmer also has generated interest from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, while USA Today reported the 33-year-old passer might be willing to bypass a starting role to play behind Colin Kaepernick with the San Francisco 49ers.

We're a few steps away from any of this becoming reality. The Raiders currently are trying to seal up a trade with the Seattle Seahawks for Matt Flynn, but that crossed into Saturday in a holding pattern.

Somers believes that losing Palmer to another suitor "probably wouldn't break the Cardinals' hearts," because he's not the long-term answer in Arizona -- or any city.

The Cardinals parted with cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, a second-round draft pick and ultimately $20.5 million to secure Kolb in 2011. Any trade for Palmer will come with a lower cost -- and a lot less fanfare.

The acquisition of Flynn may clue us in on what the Raiders do in first round. Based on early reports the commitment to Flynn isn't very big, so there is still a chance that they could go QB in round 1. Based on scouting reports and the Raiders approach to the 2013 season selecting one of the "can't miss" tackles seems to make the most sense. (And a nod to Unknown coach, Warmack if they have him rated highly).

It would serve the Raiders to continue to smoke screen their interest in QB to see if they can trade down and pick up picks, biut if push comes to shove I would be really surprised in hey took a QB at 1.

Now, if Reggie can get compensation for Carson "Poser" Palmer I will be very impressed.

The Raiders are giving up a 5th round pick in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015. That's very reasonable for Flynn who I think has a real chance to turn out to be a good QB.Early rumors are we will get something like a 4th or 5th round pick this year and a conditional pick in 2014 for Palmer. Its a little more than we are giving up. At least we end up getting a draft pick back this year after losing our second round pick in the original Palmer trade. Ultimately though those draft picks are pretty meaningless compared to the importance of Flynn's performance and whichever QB we end up drafting. Yes, I'm almost certain now we will pick up a QB in this draft. Not neccessarily in round 1 but I do think this actually increases the odds we do take a QB with our first pick. It doesnt neccesitate it though. As I've said I have good vibes about Flynn.

The Raiders are giving up a 5th round pick in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015. That's very reasonable for Flynn who I think has a real chance to turn out to be a good QB. Early rumors are we will get something like a 4th or 5th round pick this year and a conditional pick in 2014 for Palmer. Its a little more than we are giving up. At least we end up getting a draft pick back this year after losing our second round pick in the original Palmer trade. Ultimately though those draft picks are pretty meaningless compared to the importance of Flynn's performance and whichever QB we end up drafting. Yes, I'm almost certain now we will pick up a QB in this draft. Not neccessarily in round 1 but I do think this actually increases the odds we do take a QB with our first pick. It doesnt neccesitate it though. As I've said I have good vibes about Flynn.
I agree, I still think Oakland looks at QB in the draft but I think it will be later in the draft maybe 3rd or 4th round. I think they will try hard to trade back in the 1st and gain more picks.

I hope this is how it plays out too. Although, its possible they like the QBs in next year's class better. This year could be about trading down and building the trenches, then go after the QB next year.

The Raiders are giving up a 5th round pick in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015. That's very reasonable for Flynn who I think has a real chance to turn out to be a good QB. Early rumors are we will get something like a 4th or 5th round pick this year and a conditional pick in 2014 for Palmer. Its a little more than we are giving up. At least we end up getting a draft pick back this year after losing our second round pick in the original Palmer trade. Ultimately though those draft picks are pretty meaningless compared to the importance of Flynn's performance and whichever QB we end up drafting. Yes, I'm almost certain now we will pick up a QB in this draft. Not neccessarily in round 1 but I do think this actually increases the odds we do take a QB with our first pick. It doesnt neccesitate it though. As I've said I have good vibes about Flynn.
I agree, I still think Oakland looks at QB in the draft but I think it will be later in the draft maybe 3rd or 4th round. I think they will try hard to trade back in the 1st and gain more picks.

Report on twitter that Flynn's base salary will switch around in 2013 and 2014 meaning he will actually make more money this year after the restructure. Also means that we are now spending even more money on our salary cap this year on the QB position than if we had kept Palmer. If Flynn plays well there is a chance he could get a raise next year. There should be no doubt about what Reggie is doing. We are in full rebuild mode. Its not about the salary cap, its about Reggie bringing in "his" guys.

UnknownCoach said:
There should be no doubt about what Reggie is doing. We are in full rebuild mode. Its not about the salary cap, its about Reggie bringing in "his" guys.
If bringing in "Reggie's guys" is about saving real cash to Mark Davis's wallet, then yes I agree. This move is about saving real cash money this year and setting up next season's capspace.

Terry Porter just signed a one year deal with Oakland per a Shefter tweet. Finally we are getting some new blood into our secondary.

UnknownCoach said:
There should be no doubt about what Reggie is doing. We are in full rebuild mode. Its not about the salary cap, its about Reggie bringing in "his" guys.
If bringing in "Reggie's guys" is about saving real cash to Mark Davis's wallet, then yes I agree. This move is about saving real cash money this year and setting up next season's capspace.
There is zero evidence that the first part of what you say is true. The second part about setting up next year's cap, I agree with. Most moves this offseason have been to set the team up for the future. 2013 is a salary dump year and as much of the dead cap as possible is being shoved into it.

We won't know until next offseason whether or not your accusation about saving real dollars is true. My guess and hope is that it's not. If Mark learned anything from his dad, it won't be. Al Davis knew full well, better than any other owner, that you have to spend $ to make $ in this league and in life.

UnknownCoach said:
There is zero evidence that the first part of what you say is true. The second part about setting up next year's cap, I agree with. Most moves this offseason have been to set the team up for the future. 2013 is a salary dump year and as much of the dead cap as possible is being shoved into it.

We won't know until next offseason whether or not your accusation about saving real dollars is true. My guess and hope is that it's not. If Mark learned anything from his dad, it won't be. Al Davis knew full well, better than any other owner, that you have to spend $ to make $ in this league and in life.
Regarding the bolded. Mark chose to pay $6.25 Million in real money to Flynn to avoid paying $13 Million in real money to Palmer. That's real cash savings in the here and now. Forgetting about cap and dead money and so forth.

UnknownCoach said:
There is zero evidence that the first part of what you say is true. The second part about setting up next year's cap, I agree with. Most moves this offseason have been to set the team up for the future. 2013 is a salary dump year and as much of the dead cap as possible is being shoved into it. We won't know until next offseason whether or not your accusation about saving real dollars is true. My guess and hope is that it's not. If Mark learned anything from his dad, it won't be. Al Davis knew full well, better than any other owner, that you have to spend $ to make $ in this league and in life.
Regarding the bolded. Mark chose to pay $6.25 Million in real money to Flynn to avoid paying $13 Million in real money to Palmer. That's real cash savings in the here and now. Forgetting about cap and dead money and so forth.
Why would you choose to forget the last part of what you said? That could be (and hopefully is) the main reason for Flynn, besides his own upside as a player. Going from $13 MM to $6.25 MM this year could have little to nothing to do with it. Why Flynn over Palmer? 1. Huge cap savings next year, even if we keep him, just when all the other cap savings come to play anyway and we are actually able to rebuild instead of tear down. 2. Flynn has shown upside in this league. Maybe he takes the job and runs with it. We know what Palmer is and slightly above average is the best he'll ever be again, it seems. 3. Little to no risk if Flynn busts. He can be cut next season with zero cap hit. And if he busts this year, it's the dead cap year anyway. 4. At minimum he provides a stop gap and competition for Pryor and/or who ever the Raiders draft at QB in the next year or two. 5. Fresh blood and energy instead of a stale 33-yr old, who has already told outsiders that he thinks Raider fans have it in for him because of the 1st/2nd round pick trade that brought him. That's a LOSER's mentality! I think all of these reasons trump your Mark is a cheap owner thought process. Maybe you are right, but like I said, there is no evidence yet to support it.

Per Rotoworld:

Raiders add CB Tracy Porter on 1-year deal

Raiders signed CB Tracy Porter to a one-year contract.
Chalk up a quality signing for Oakland. Although Porter fell out of favor in Denver last year following his strange medical issues, the 26-year-old is a capable right corner that can play the slot in nickel formations. He's made 43 career starts and was a key piece of the Saints' 2009 Super Bowl team. The Raiders still have one of the league's worst secondaries, but Porter and Phillip Adams are at least a serviceable duo.

I consider this a big upgrade for the secondary (no where to go but up, right?). I still believe they are alos going to make a run at Jenkins (if he hasn't signed elsewhere).

Despite all the doom and gloom thus far I have hope that the Raiders will be surprisingly competitive next year... if they get production from the QB position. They have upgraded the LB and DB core with some low risk, high upside signings. And let's not forget they play a fourth place schedule next year.

Bummed about the compensation we got for Carson from the Cardinals. No way is a conditional 7th rounder fair for someone who gets a 2 yr/ 20 million contract. We got fleeced on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread