What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sydney Cafe held hostage by Jihadists (1 Viewer)

I'd bet worst. :(

If they're making you hang jihadist flags in your cafe, this won't end well.

T&W for the people inside. Prayers seem inappropriate.

:sadbanana:

Hoping this ends well as one can reasonably hope (ie nobody but the terrorists are hurt/killed).

Three hostages have escaped, so police should know a lot about the situation. That said, the bomber (presuming so) cannot leave the cafe alive- he is already "martyred" by ISIL. His family would probably be killed if he permitted himself to be captured. So this may become a "let's roll" situation and we should all pray/etc for those inside who may soon have to make that decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC was saying the police know who this guy is and was someone they've been aware of in the past.

CPR on at least two injured people...that's ominous. :(
Such a tragedy. But let's not torture these animals for information to hunt down captains and generals in the regime of Islamic terror. Let's treat them like humans even though they have no regard for human life.

Anyway. That's an entirely different conversation and thread.

Such a tragedy. But let's not torture these animals for information to hunt down captains and generals in the regime of Islamic terror. Let's treat them like humans even though they have no regard for human life.Anyway. That's an entirely different conversation and thread.
Yes it is. And according to early reports it is also likely irrelevant, since this guy seems to be s lone actor. One of the problems with this kind of terrorism is that there often is no authority, no central plan. These guys act by themselves without instruction from some organization whose members we can capture and interrogate.

Such a tragedy. But let's not torture these animals for information to hunt down captains and generals in the regime of Islamic terror. Let's treat them like humans even though they have no regard for human life.Anyway. That's an entirely different conversation and thread.
Yes it is. And according to early reports it is also likely irrelevant, since this guy seems to be s lone actor.One of the problems with this kind of terrorism is that there often is no authority, no central plan. These guys act by themselves without instruction from some organization whose members we can capture and interrogate.
Agreed.

Two people are dead and three are in serious condition, Australian broadcaster ABC reported.

We do not know yet what's happened to the gunman.
by Rachel Clarke 10:49 AM

Yes it is. And according to early reports it is also likely irrelevant, since this guy seems to be s lone actor.One of the problems with this kind of terrorism is that there often is no authority, no central plan. These guys act by themselves without instruction from some organization whose members we can capture and interrogate.
Self-described Muslim cleric, forces hostages to hold up a banner with the Shahada, demands an ISIS flag...and you see no connection to Islam. :loco:

Self-described Muslim cleric, forces hostages to hold up a banner with the Shahada, demands an ISIS flag...and you see no connection to Islam. :loco:
i never wrote that. Did you read my post? It's very clear that he is an Islamist and this was an act of terrorism. What I wrote was that it likely wasn't planned by some central authority somewhere.

I don't think he said no connection to Islam, but no connection to authority or central plan. ISIS said already that they encourage followers to act independantly, i.e. "Lone Wolf Attacks," and just commit attacks without the need for any "approval."

Islam is a primitive religion only still practiced by primitives. There is no need for an elaborate "command and control" apparatus for these Sunni jihadists. The terror game plan is understood by all. It is ruthless and without discretion in its targets. Basically, you are to kill all infidels, including and especially Shia muslims.

Looks it's lone wolf/amateur hour.

But glad that most made it ok and that it is over.

Suicide by SWAT team?

Love how they didn't play games with this kook. You want us to give you an ISIS flag? Bull ####, send in SWAT and end the crisis. The few innocent casualties are tragic, but likely not as bad as it would have been if they'd let this play out. I'd say this was as close to a complete failure by the jihadist as we could have hoped for. I'm sure the earlier escapees provided valuable information that made the SWAT raid successful.

Islam is a primitive religion only still practiced by primitives. There is no need for an elaborate "command and control" apparatus for these Sunni jihadists. The terror game plan is understood by all. It is ruthless and without discretion in its targets. Basically, you are to kill all infidels, including and especially Shia muslims.
This is a little narrow-minded. I get saying that about radical Islam, but not Islam in general.

I don't think anybody is arguing with the fact that terrorism is ruthless and doesn't care if a target is military or civilian...the big difference here is that Al Quaeda was organized. They communicated. They acted on the commands of a hierarchy. ISIS, while organized, has basically given members the ability to carry out attacks whenever and wherever they want to. Because of this lack of..."discretion," the attacks are more like this than the larger-scale Al Quaeda plots.

Brilliant!

Such a tragedy. But let's not torture these animals for information to hunt down captains and generals in the regime of Islamic terror. Let's treat them like humans even though they have no regard for human life.

Anyway. That's an entirely different conversation and thread.
Way to bring something up then immediately say let's not talk about it. Extremely childish and passive aggressive.

This is a little narrow-minded. I get saying that about radical Islam, but not Islam in general.

I don't think anybody is arguing with the fact that terrorism is ruthless and doesn't care if a target is military or civilian...the big difference here is that Al Quaeda was organized. They communicated. They acted on the commands of a hierarchy. ISIS, while organized, has basically given members the ability to carry out attacks whenever and wherever they want to. Because of this lack of..."discretion," the attacks are more like this than the larger-scale Al Quaeda plots.
I've become narrow-minded on the subject and would shame an earlier version of me. I've spent a great deal of time in East Africa and seen how an AQ offshoot has essentially destroyed any hope of building a modern society that can care for the people. And the AQ there are protected by the Muslim community at-large, who refuse to tell the Army who the killers are, even anonymously, even though they are among them and known therein. The Muslims at-large prefer living in a brutal AQ theocracy to living in a western-styled democracy. So I've decided they are also to blame. And then when I see the way basically every Muslim treats women, I realize there is an insurmountable gap between them and the rest of "us."

Sydney Hostage Taker Identified as Man Haron MonisMan Haron Monis, a self-proclaimed Islamic “sheikh” and alleged sexual predator, has been identified as the gunman who was holding multiple people hostage in an hours-long standoff in a café in Sydney, according to Australian media.

Overnight hostages reportedly spoke to Australian television stations and identified their captor, though police requested outlets not publish it at the time. At around 11 a.m. EST, the situation came to a violent end when police stormed the café, freeing several hostages amid flashes from stun grenades and gunfire. It’s not clear what happened to Monis in the operation.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/sydney-hostage-taker-identified-man-haron-monis/story?id=27607179

This whole thing was odd. While he had them held hostage, he had the hostages upload videos requesting demands to youtube and facebook. then he was pissed because the demands werent met. All of those videos have since been taking down.

Users who are viewing this thread