What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A poll about warranties (1 Viewer)

How long of a warranty do you have left on the replacement product?

• 2 months

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • 1 year

Votes: 33 37.5%

• Total voters

St. Louis Bob

Footballguy
You buy a product and it has a 1 year warranty. Ten months in, the product fails. The manufacturer tells you it is not repairable and replaces the product. How long would you consider replacement product to be under warranty?

Do they give you a refurb or a new one? Refurb then maybe the answer is 2mos but other than that it has to be 1 year.

I'm 99% sure you don't get a new warranty with a replacement product. The warranty starts from the purchase date of the original product. It doesn't start over with a replacement.

My wife broke her iPad with 10 days left on the warranty and they replaced it, specifically telling me that the warranty was still going to expire in 10 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 98% sure you don't get a new warranty with a replacement product. The warranty starts from the purchase date of the original product. It doesn't start over with a replacement.
On everything I've ever sold with a warranty, it started over for the full length of the original warranty with the replacement product.

I'm 99% sure you don't get a new warranty with a replacement product. The warranty starts from the purchase date of the original product. It doesn't start over with a replacement.

My wife broke her iPad with 10 days left on the warranty and they replaced it, specifically telling me that the warranty was still going to expire in 10 days.
This is what I always thought.

I'm 98% sure you don't get a new warranty with a replacement product. The warranty starts from the purchase date of the original product. It doesn't start over with a replacement.
On everything I've ever sold with a warranty, it started over for the full length of the original warranty with the replacement product.
Good thing I only said "98%" sure. However, I find that hard to believe but you're the expert. I was just relating my experience with the iPad.

Good thing I only said "98%" sure. However, I find that hard to believe but you're the expert. I was just relating my experience with the iPad.
I've been selling almost 25 years with dozens of different manufacturers as suppliers and that's the way it has always been. :shrug:

However, it seems to be that the trend is what you are telling me. I think that beyond sucks. Nothing is preventing the manufacturer from giving you a POS refurbished replacement that is going to break down almost immediately and too bad, you're screwed now.

I've been selling almost 25 years with dozens of different manufacturers as suppliers and that's the way it has always been. :shrug:

However, it seems to be that the trend is what you are telling me. I think that beyond sucks. Nothing is preventing the manufacturer from giving you a POS refurbished replacement that is going to break down almost immediately and too bad, you're screwed now.
Belt breaks on my car at mile 55,000. I have a 6 yr, 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Dealer replaces the belt. Are you now expecting the 6/60,000 warranty to reset at zero for the entire car?

You buy a Wobblegoggle with a warranty that you will be able to use a Wobblegoggle for a total of not less than one year. There is no "resetting" of the warranty--you are merely guaranteed one year of Wobblegoggle goodness.

You buy a Wobblegoggle with a warranty that you will be able to use a Wobblegoggle for a total of not less than one year. There is no "resetting" of the warranty--you are merely guaranteed one year of Wobblegoggle goodness.
Exactly. Customer service oriented companies might offer to replace beyond this since their business model is based on reputation of top flight customer service.

Belt breaks on my car at mile 55,000. I have a 6 yr, 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Dealer replaces the belt. Are you now expecting the 6/60,000 warranty to reset at zero for the entire car?
I hear what you are saying but that means that they can replace the belt with something used that will break in 5000 miles? In my line of work, a warranty was the same as a guarantee. It will work for x amount of time or else you get a new one.

I returned a pair of Browning boots 3 times at the 11 month period (waterproof issue). Friends joked about my perpetual boots. On the fourth attempt they said no more. Interestingly enough they went out of business after that for a year or two before coming back selling re-branded products as i recall.

Exactly. Customer service oriented companies might offer to replace beyond this since their business model is based on reputation of top flight customer service.
To hell. Both of you. :hot:

I hear what you are saying but that means that they can replace the belt with something used that will break in 5000 miles? In my line of work, a warranty was the same as a guarantee. It will work for x amount of time or else you get a new one.
Sure can and probably won't get a return customer.

You must sell for very customer service oriented companies or companies that sell durable products.

Another example is car batteries…5 yr warranty pro-rated based on the age of the product after a year.

Well, that would be a problem with the terms of the warranty itself (i.e., doesn't it say must be new, etc.), not directly an issue of whether the warranty somehow resets.

ETA: In other words, if you get a replacement that doesn't last to the end of the original warranty, then you could make another warranty claim. If you get one that lasts past the time of the original warranty, then you're already getting more than what you bargained for, so I'm not sure I understand the problem.

slb - Interested in some of the companies that you sell for if you can share that information. If not, I'd be interested in the products.

Well, that would be a problem with the terms of the warranty itself (i.e., doesn't it say must be new, etc.), not directly an issue of whether the warranty somehow resets.
Hey bob, we've got a warranty claim here of this car…go to the warehouse and get one of those 5000 mile belts that cost us a nickel less to buy. Don't screw up and get one of the dime cheaper 1000 mile belts of the shelf below otherwise we'll have to do this job again.

ETA: In other words, if you get a replacement that doesn't last to the end of the original warranty, then you could make another warranty claim. If you get one that lasts past the time of the original warranty, then you're already getting more than what you bargained for, so I'm not sure I understand the problem.
They replaced the product three times, and sent me parts to fix it once myself. One of them was past the original 1 year purchase date.

They replaced the product three times, and sent me parts to fix it once myself. One of them was past the original 1 year purchase date.
Sounds like the real problem here is a ####ty product. ;)

slb - Interested in some of the companies that you sell for if you can share that information. If not, I'd be interested in the products.
Most warranty issues are with electric staplers and shredders. (Acco/Swingline/GBC, Fellowes, HSM) Some brands and most of the furniture we sell has lifetime warranties on it these days.

I gotta go, see last GMTAN post why.

Sounds like the real problem here is a ####ty product. ;)
EXACTLY

Might that depend on the product? Consider a type of Wobblegoggle that normally lasts about ten years if it's put together right, but occasionally you get a lemon that lasts only a few months.

A one-year warranty in that case is not simply a guarantee that you'll get one year's worth of use. It more importantly acts as insurance against getting a lemon. In most cases, if you get one year of use, you can reasonably expect to get ten; so a one-year warranty seems to have you covered for a good while.

But if you buy a Wobblegoggle that breaks down after seven months, and then the replacement breaks down seven months after that, there's a sense in which you didn't get the benefit of your bargain -- at least if the warranty doesn't reset. You intended to buy a non-lemon Wobblegoggle that would ordinarily give you about ten years of use. What you got instead was a series of lemons that crapped out after one. (Sure, if you really wanted a guarantee that you'd get ten years of use, you could bargain for a ten-year warranty. But that's impractical in most cases where warranties are standardized and not easily negotiable.)

I'm not arguing the legalities of anything here. However the warranty is worded is how it's worded. I'm just making a case that a non-resetting warranty doesn't always give people what they bargained for such that, when a replacement turns out to be a lemon as well, a neutral observer would be unable to understand the problem.

Might that depend on the product? Consider a type of Wobblegoggle that normally lasts about ten years if it's put together right, but occasionally you get a lemon that lasts only a few months.

A one-year warranty in that case is not simply a guarantee that you'll get one year's worth of use. It more importantly acts as insurance against getting a lemon. In most cases, if you get one year of use, you can reasonably expect to get ten; so a one-year warranty seems to have you covered for a good while.

But if you buy a Wobblegoggle that breaks down after seven months, and then the replacement breaks down seven months after that, there's a sense in which you didn't get the benefit of your bargain -- at least if the warranty doesn't reset. You intended to buy a non-lemon Wobblegoggle that would ordinarily give you about ten years of use. What you got instead was a series of lemons that crapped out after one. (Sure, if you really wanted a guarantee that you'd get ten years of use, you could bargain for a ten-year warranty. But that's impractical in most cases where warranties are standardized and not easily negotiable.)

I'm not arguing the legalities of anything here. However the warranty is worded is how it's worded. I'm just making a case that a non-resetting warranty doesn't always give people what they bargained for such that, when a replacement turns out to be a lemon as well, a neutral observer would be unable to understand the problem.
As much as I :heart: you, MT, I'm not interested enough in this topic to read all that. I simply wanted to use the term "Wobblegoggle" because it makes me giggle.

Edit: OK, I read some of it. I am arguing the legalities, which is what I thought SLB was asking about. There are various implied warranties that might attach in addition to the express warranties. In addition, some states will have "lemon laws" for things like cars, etc that go further than the express warranty. There are all sorts of other factors at work, but answering SLB's initial question the express warranty would not reset unless it said so in its terms (and why would anyone do that?).

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ####. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.

Tommy: Well, that's...

Tommy/Richard Hayden: ...What?

Share this quote

I'll tell you what doesn't make sense, the fact that Americans have shelled out thousands for products with one year manufacturer warranties. Why have we accepted this as consumers?

Back in the 'good old days', things used to be built to last. Now they're built with planned obsolescence in mind. Apple could make the iPhone 1 with cheap parts that'll break in three years because everyone's gonna swap it for another in two years anyway. The single-window guarantee makes sense in that view.

I went through this exact scenario, except a Wobblegoggle is an amazon Kindle. Wife had one with a 12 month warranty, it died nine months in. Got a refurb'd replacement, and that one died 6 months after we got it (15 months after original purchase date). Amazon told us they would not be honoring it. I #####ed up a storm and they gave me a $40 credit on my account.

I've loved Amazon's customer service with nearly everything else but in this one case their family was a dic|<. Wife has a nook now.

Whoa, had a somewhat similar experience with Amazon that caused me to break up with them. Got a Kindle very soon after they arrived on the scene. Thing started getting out of whack about six months in including not being about to see about 1/4 of the screen, but we dealt with it until it finally gave in completely about a week after the warranty expired. Even though it had been "sick" for months, they wouldn't do anything given the expired warranty. Bought a Nook to replace it and vowed never to purchase from them again (though Mr. krista has "forgotten" occasionally and bought something there :hot: ).

This is how it should be. Where the warranty guarantees repair of a product rather than full replacement the repair should carry the full warranty.

I've always wondered this...bought a battery from Advance Auto with a 1 year warranty. It died after 9 months (I think partially due to a draining issue with my car). I took it in, and they replaced it. Had the same issue 6 months after that (15 months after original purchase). I ended up getting the car fixed after I explained to the dealer what he needed to do to fix it right, but I wondered if I was still under warranty on the battery or not...

The condenser blew in my fridge last year. Came home and everything is warm. I remember buying it in the summer and knew it had to be close to the 5 year warranty. I was thinking I was screwed but when I found the receipt it had 8 days left until the 5 years was up. The replaced the condenser and gave me a fresh 5 years on the replacement. The fridge cost 2K, to replace the condenser is around 1200,00. So I was pretty happy.

Da Guru said:
The condenser blew in my fridge last year. Came home and everything is warm. I remember buying it in the summer and knew it had to be close to the 5 year warranty. I was thinking I was screwed but when I found the receipt it had 8 days left until the 5 years was up. The replaced the condenser and gave me a fresh 5 years on the replacement. The fried cost 2K, to replace the condenser is around 1200,00. So I was pretty happy.
Amazing how the sum of the replacement/repair parts is usually 10x the cost of a whole new item, isn't it?

What the smart guy said. If the expectation is that everything I buy is going to break right around when the warranty expired, my OCD wouldn't let me buy anything that didn't have a 10+ year warranty attached to it.

I went through this exact scenario, except a Wobblegoggle is an amazon Kindle. Wife had one with a 12 month warranty, it died nine months in. Got a refurb'd replacement, and that one died 6 months after we got it (15 months after original purchase date). Amazon told us they would not be honoring it. I #####ed up a storm and they gave me a $40 credit on my account.

I've loved Amazon's customer service with nearly everything else but in this one case their family was a dic|<. Wife has a nook now.
This is pretty much the situation I'm in. EXCEPT, they replaced it the third time past the 12 month purchase date. So to me, I thought that the 12 month warranty was resetting.

About a 18 months ago I bought a phone charge for my car at Target. Link to side of box and receipt. Sure enough, it stops working. So I sent this .jpeg to the e-mail address on the box and I recieve an e-mail back saying I needed to send the product ($$$) to them PLUS a check for an additional $5 and they will replace the product.

Nice ####### warranty. <_<

I think we've paid more on charger cables for our two iPhones than we paid for the phones.
:lmao: at your sig.
:goodposting:

Radio Shack has a great protection plan on cables but they look to be going out of business so there's that.
My son bought some ear buds and paid for the warranty from Radio Shack. One of the buds pulled itself completely apart as he was taking them out one day so we go to Radio Shack, receipt in hand, and the dimwit at the counter is insisting that I owe them $5 because the price of the buds had gone up since then, even though my warranty says it is for full replacement.

If my kids weren't with me, I would have burned the place down on my way out.

I think we've paid more on charger cables for our two iPhones than we paid for the phones.
:lmao: at your sig.
:goodposting:

Radio Shack has a great protection plan on cables but they look to be going out of business so there's that.
My son bought some ear buds and paid for the warranty from Radio Shack. One of the buds pulled itself completely apart as he was taking them out one day so we go to Radio Shack, receipt in hand, and the dimwit at the counter is insisting that I owe them $5 because the price of the buds had gone up since then, even though my warranty says it is for full replacement.

If my kids weren't with me, I would have burned the place down on my way out.
I hate people.

Users who are viewing this thread