What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Starting a Brand New League (1 Viewer)

J Perusse

Footballguy
I am going to embrace my obsession and create a super deep, in-depth league for my friends and I. I am looking to go IDP (for the first time) and use contracts. I have zero experience with both of these aspects...what advice do you guys have for someone in my position?

For example, I have no clue how to do a 40 round draft and not have people go crazy. How have you guys approached these huge start-up drafts?

Do you apply contracts as soon as you draft someone?

I am leaning between MFL and FleaFlicker...thoughts on this?

For those of you in these types of leagues, what is the best aspect of yours? What about thing you wish you had done differently?

What do I need to know about being in an IDP league?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it and I know my buddies will too.

My first and biggest piece of advise would be to play in IDPs before trying to commish a league. IDP is fun, but it is not for everyone.

1) IMO, long drafts need to have a generous clock because someone will have a life issue, but encourage people to move quickly use pre-draft. also, if for some rason you guys can get everyone online for an hour or two to knock out several rounds this will make it better.

2) I lean toawards after the draft just from an organizational standpoint, but not a strong preference. Are $$$ included?

3-4) the biggest thing is that for IDP to matter you need use a full defense or near full defense. Also, to make it matter you need to make sure defensive players score enough. If you do the above two things right then you can have meaningful trades and transactions for IDP because they matter.

I started a Salary/Contract/IDP league last February. You didn't mention anything about salary in your original post, so I'm not sure if you are just going to have contracts.

We have a 45 man roster, 20 total starters with full idp. Something that we did was to begin with a 30 round veteran draft. Each draft position was assigned a salary. (we have a $200k cap) The #1 pick was $15k and decreased by roughly $100-$150 dollars per draft spot. A couple months after the draft we held a free agent auction for veterans. Finally in May, we held a Rookie Only draft. Again, each draft position has an assigned salary. (starting at $5k) 1st round picks are assigned a 4 year contract automatically. Every other player taken in draft or auction can be given a contract from 1-5 years. (owners have approx 2 weeks to turn in contract length) We don't have a cap on contract years.

If you are only doing contract (and not salary), you should probably ignore everything I just said.

We use a 24 hour time limit on our drafts. We also use MFL to host our site. For me IDP is the only way to play fantasy football. There should be an equal number of IDP's as offensive players.

I am going to embrace my obsession and create a super deep, in-depth league for my friends and I. I am looking to go IDP (for the first time) and use contracts. I have zero experience with both of these aspects...what advice do you guys have for someone in my position? For example, I have no clue how to do a 40 round draft and not have people go crazy. How have you guys approached these huge start-up drafts?Do you apply contracts as soon as you draft someone?I am leaning between MFL and FleaFlicker...thoughts on this? For those of you in these types of leagues, what is the best aspect of yours? What about thing you wish you had done differently?What do I need to know about being in an IDP league?Thanks guys, I really appreciate it and I know my buddies will too.
Recently I disbanded an IDP league I was commissioning since 2001 and started a new league (long story) with roughly the same format. With 35-man rosters, we did three 'mini-drafts' of 10,10, and 8 rounds to stock our teams, then held a 7-round rookie only draft once the NFL draft was complete to fill out our rosters. We are a salary/contract league and use actual player contracts and salaries available on www.spotrac.com. This also dictates our free agents when contracts expire in real life. As far as website, I have been using MFL.com since 2000 and swear by them. I'm not going to get into the details, but after you've used them and compared them to other sites they are the best, 'nuff said.Also, if you are the fanatic you claim to be, once you go IDP, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread