What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could you catch a punt from an NFL punter? (1 Viewer)

Could you catch a punt from an NFL punter?

• Yes, no doubt

Votes: 68 54.8%
  • Probably not

Votes: 37 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • I'm drunk most of the time so yes/no

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • [No response text]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
You would just have to make a fair catch. Let's say this was a spur of the moment event/contest and you had no practice at all. :goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember trying to catch a few punts in high school and they were humbling experiences. Now, as a former high school starting offensive tackle/3rd string kicker, I could hit one of those field goals for free airline tickets if pulled out of the stands.

Will it come right to me or do I have to run?

And if I have to run, is it more than 10 feet?

If you are a god athlete and have good hand/eye coordination and there aren't 10 guys (I excluded the punter) waiting to take your head off...then yes, no doubt. It is only a football after all. :lmao:

Yeah, I'm thinking anyone with any athletic skill should be able to do that, especially if you've played a little pick-up football back in the day.

Yeah, I'm thinking anyone with any athletic skill should be able to do that, especially if you've played a little pick-up football back in the day.
Playing pick-up football<>catching a punt from an NFL kickerI'm guessing 3 in 10 men who think they are "good athletes" could actually catch this punt.

Probably not.

Interesting that most think they could. My guess is it is a lot harder than it looks. I am still in pretty good shape for my age, but it would still be tough.

Playing pick-up football<>catching a punt from an NFL kickerI'm guessing 3 in 10 men who think they are "good athletes" could actually catch this punt.
Are there people running towards us?This would be a good thing to see on Joes vs Pros, I bet it's harder than you think.

Unless the FFA has a lot more former college punt returners than I was aware of, there is a whole lot of delusion going on in this poll.

Im saying 3 in 10 would even have the ball bounce off some part of their body. Maybe... just maybe 1 in 10 would catch one punt from an NFL kicker with no warm-ups.FWIW, I voted Yes. But really there is no chance.

Unless the FFA has a lot more former college punt returners than I was aware of, there is a whole lot of delusion going on in this poll.
Catching the punt is not running the punt back. We just have to catch it.Do you think you could catch a pass from Kurt Warner? That doesn't mean you could play WR in the NFL, it is just catching a pass.

On a practice field with no coverage, I think I'd have a pretty decent shot.

There's a chance in game action - if the punt goes out of bounds uncatchable - it's on the punter, so I did my job, signalling for the fair catch, right? :unsure:

Im saying 3 in 10 would even have the ball bounce off some part of their body. Maybe... just maybe 1 in 10 would catch one punt from an NFL kicker with no warm-ups.FWIW, I voted Yes. But really there is no chance.
No way. You guys are crazy. It's a ball. If it comes in your general direction, you should be able to catch it.Heck, I caught a grape in my mouth from 20 stories. Catching a punt from an NFL kicker is nothing.

I remember trying to catch a few punts in high school and they were humbling experiences. Now, as a former high school starting offensive tackle/3rd string kicker, I could hit one of those field goals for free airline tickets if pulled out of the stands.
:thumbup:I was a reserve lineman/starting kicker - until a soccer player came along who gave up soccer. I definitely would prefer the FG attempt, unles an unreturnable punt with a FC call counts as okay.

I remember when I was in HS like 5 years ago, I went to the park by my house and drill a 42 yard fg. I also had some practice kicking off one of the high school tees for PATS/FG's but didn't like those too much.

Catching the punt is not running the punt back. We just have to catch it.Do you think you could catch a pass from Kurt Warner? That doesn't mean you could play WR in the NFL, it is just catching a pass.
You are underrating how hard just fielding a punt is. That ball gets kicked high in the air and is coming down pretty damn fast. And that isn't even accounting for the potential need to run to get under it.As for the question of catching a pass from Kurt Warner, I am sure that many of us could catch one, but it would be pretty dependent on what kind of route it is and how much pace he put on the ball. I don't think the average FBG would be too successful catching a quick hook, slant or out that was absolutely fired at them, but there are lots of other routes where the success rate could be much higher.

no doubt. i returned kicks back in the day & am still in relatively good shape.

hell, they had the jugs punt machine pumping out balls to the fat asses on the biggest loser last season & some of them made the catch. not the same i know, but close.

i can catch a football and I'm good at judging balls hit/thrown in the air (I was an outfielder growing up), but i think there's a good chance I'd muff the first one.

Do I get more than one shot? Either way I think I could field it. I don't think its much different than fielding a fly ball.

You are underrating how hard just fielding a punt is. That ball gets kicked high in the air and is coming down pretty damn fast. And that isn't even accounting for the potential need to run to get under it.
:popcorn: The key to catching a punt is knowing the spot it will land and getting there in a position to field it. Then, if it spirals or is end over end, no problem....if not, good luck. It takes a little practice to get that judgment back, so with no prior practice I'd guess the success rate of people off the street would be around 10%.

As for the question of catching a pass from Kurt Warner, I am sure that many of us could catch one, but it would be pretty dependent on what kind of route it is and how much pace he put on the ball. I don't think the average FBG would be too successful catching a quick hook, slant or out that was absolutely fired at them, but there are lots of other routes where the success rate could be much higher.
Another :goodposting: Outs or hooks when the ball is thrown before the break would be comical to watch, though. Definitely some broken noses.

As a 12 yr old ballboy for the Pats in the early 80s I probably batted .500 shagging them for Rich Camarillo - I would hope I could catch one today but anyone saying "no doubt" with only one shot is kidding themselves.

catching a pass and catching a punt are two very different animals.

Went to the NFL Experience when it was at the HOF Game one year and caught punts from a jugs machine. It's a lot harder than you'd think. And that's with a machine putting it in a fairly predictable spot.

We had a guy on our football team that was mainly a track guy. Ran the 100m and 200m really fast. They tried to put him back there for punt/kick returns. He dropped every one. Then he'd pick it up off the ground and proceed to run it back for 60 yards. Pretty effective overall I guess.

Half of us would fall down and cry when the point of the ball crashed into our sternums.
:shrug:In an empty stadium, just shagging punts, I'd say at present, I'd have ~ 33% chance of catching oneIn a full stadium, just shagging punts, no one else on the field, just the pressure of 70,000 people laughing at me when I drop it, I'd have ~ 10% chanceIn a game, I'd have < 2% chance of catching it, and I would be waving for the fair catch before the ball was even in the air.(note, I've never played organized football, and am not very athletic any longer)

If I can catch a fly ball anywhere in the OF near me, over the shoulder etc, I should be able to catch a football, right?

If I can catch a fly ball anywhere in the OF near me, over the shoulder etc, I should be able to catch a football, right?
The flight of a round object is much easier to judge than the flight of a leather torpedo.

I see Troy Walters at my local sammich shop in Tempe every few days. I'll ask him. He was pretty good at it.

Absolutely. Just settle under the ball, then put what would normally be your glove hand about about a foot from you face and watch it in. Same thing.

Nigel said:
As a 12 yr old ballboy for the Pats in the early 80s I probably batted .500 shagging them for Rich Camarillo - I would hope I could catch one today but anyone saying "no doubt" with only one shot is kidding themselves.
I worked for a bunch of years with a punter who's currently bouncing around NFL tryouts (never seems to land on a team).It's a hell of a lot harder than it looks, even with no pads and no coverage.If I get 3 chances, I'd say I'll catch 1-2.....but I only get 1 try?

I voted yes, but then again I was my HS punt returner and played WR at a small college. With that experience even, I promise I would drop about 20-30% of them.

Catching punts is real hard. If you've never done it, than your answer should most likely be no.

Last summer my daughters were working out on the track at the local HS.

There were two college aged kids on the football field practicing their FGs and punting...I was just standing there so I said I would shag for them.

One kid was going to Grand Valley State, the other to Eastern Michigan. It was a somewhat windy day and they punted the ball very high. The high spirel kicks I handled pretty easy, the high balls that were out of rotation were much more difficult to catch..muffed quite a few of those, the line drive knuckleball kicks were very difficult to handle.

Users who are viewing this thread