What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What surprised you at your draft? (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
How early did the "buzz" players go?

Who fell like a rock?

Where were the runs, and at what rounds were the cupboards bare at the position?

What would you have done differently had you known the way the draft would have gone?

my league's a little different than most. We start 2 QB, have no bench, .5 ppr and is a total points league. so things aren't the norm..

Still, the guy at 12 (13 teams) got ADP AND Charles.................

Brandin Cook went really early. Certain players like L Bell, Gronk, Harvin, and T Smith fell without fail.

12 team non-ppr No big surprises, but..

• Patterson fell to 5.06
  • Graham went at 1.07
  • Gore went at 4.05
  • Rice went at 4.11

One of the guys in my league forwarded a FBG news email from early in August. Based on the draft, it looks like the majority of my league has taken to using the site. It was pretty obvious at least eight of the guys in our league were using the same cheat sheet from the site.

All the sharkpool favorites went a round or two early as well....

Peyton went at 1.01 in my .5 PPR 6 pt TD league (10 teamer). That shook things up a bit and the top 3 QBs were off the board by the end of rd 1.

I was able to land Vereen at 6.06 and Rice at 9.05 which is insane to me. It truly made it worth snagging Calvin and AJ as my first 2 picks.

FreeBaGeL said:

• Patterson fell to 5.06
  • Graham went at 1.07
  • Gore went at 4.05
  • Rice went at 4.11
I'm in the same set up. Where did MJD, Chris Johnson, Sanders, Seattle D go?

So many good QBs available late. I got Foles as QB14 in a 12 team league as my 1st QB. 10 teamer took Romo as last starter & backed him with RG3 (over Cam & Dalton).

FreeBaGeL said:

• Patterson fell to 5.06
  • Graham went at 1.07
  • Gore went at 4.05
  • Rice went at 4.11
Funny that you ask that as I drafted MJD, Chris Johnson, and Sanders.

Johnson - 4.04

MJD - 6.04

Sanders - 5.09

No one wanted Trent Richardson, at all. Not a huge surprise, but just how far he fell in several drafts was pretty impressive.

--Ellington available at the very end. Either everyone else knows something I don't, or I got a steal for $8.

--2 owners getting into a bidding war over Peyton Manning, resulting in Manning going for $100 in a $200 budget league.

--People overspending on San Fransisco defense. Sure, it may not be 2011 right now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?

12 team PPR: Joique Bell falling to 8.08 tonight was quite surprising. Even though I wouldn't pay the price, I've seen the guy going late Round 3/early 4th quite often.

Last edited by a moderator:
FreeBaGeL said:

• Patterson fell to 5.06
  • Graham went at 1.07
  • Gore went at 4.05
  • Rice went at 4.11
Funny that you ask that as I drafted MJD, Chris Johnson, and Sanders.

Johnson - 4.04

MJD - 6.04

Sanders - 5.09
A few things that make you scratch your head, but I will toss in some since people want to know about a 12 team non ppr.

Last draft, $200 per man 12 teamer................. And we start 3 WRS, keep this in mind.

Peyton Manning #1 overall

Drew Brees #3 overall

Cordarrelle Patterson 3.10

MJD 5.12

Seattle DEF 6.9 LOL

Miles Austin 8.1 (same owner as MJD)

Emmanuel Sanders 8.7

CAR DEF,CIN DEF and AZ DEF all go in round 9

Darren Sproles 12.5

Chris Johnson 5.11 (this owner had to leave and was on auto pick after round 4, I fully expected Chris Johnson to fall another 3 rounds the way this draft went)

Maybe the owner who took MJD in round 5 and and Miles Austin in round 8 knows something I don't.

I gladly snapped up Ridley at 10.5 and Sproles in round 12. ;)

TZM

Demarius Thomas went 1.02 (PPR)

Patterson and Ellington dropped into the 7th rounds

Someone took Gostkowski in the 6th

The top WRs went fast, then the next tier of them lasted for quite a while. The mid-tier TEs had a surprisingly early run as well. QBs lasted longer than usual

It was only an eight team league but Roddy lasted until the tenth round! I didn't really need a reciever at the time but I couldn't pass on him anymore and feel clean.

12 Team FFPC Best Ball draft last night.

I took the Seahawks @12.8 and thought it was good value as 2 more defenses fell in the 13th. Usually there is a 2-3 round gap.

I was also able to grab Cruz @5.5 Sproles @6.8 and Gore @7.5. All of those seem like very good value to me but who knows?!

What surprised me as a Colts :homer: was someone taking Richardson in the 7th rd. I wouldn't touch him this year.

In PPR league WR flew off the board. If I didn't know better I'd say my league read the take two wide receivers thread.
Yep. I got caught by this in my league last night. Though we can start 3 RBs and the scoring is set slightly in their favor, so I was determined to grab four startable RBs. That left me thin at WR after going Jimmy Graham in the first. Still I'd rather bank on someone emerging at WR on the wire than RB.

While it used to be 12 RBs would go in the first round, over the last ten years we have seen a few QBs and Wrs make an appearance in Round 1. This year, though, 3 of the top 4 picks went QB and 6 QBs went in the first round (Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Stafford, Foles, and Tom Brady. Add in Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham, and only 4 RBs went in the first 12 picks. Heresy I say.

Devonta Freeman in the last round, something like #210 overall. I knew his stock was dropping, but damn. I would have taken him sooner than that but already had 2 RBs with the same bye.

One of the guys in my league forwarded a FBG news email from early in August. Based on the draft, it looks like the majority of my league has taken to using the site. It was pretty obvious at least eight of the guys in our league were using the same cheat sheet from the site.

All the sharkpool favorites went a round or two early as well....
This. It seemed like everybody was using same rankings and everybody had the same grab WR mentality(and this is non-PPR league). I ended up grabbing Marshawn Lynch at 1.11 since the WR were being snapped up.

In my PPR flex:

RB falling: The front was as expected but Calvin, D. Thomas, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Bryant, and Graham went round 1. The next 4 picks in round 2 were Brees, Rogers, Julio, and Manning (not in that order). Out of the first 16 picks only AP, Charles, McCoy, Lacy, Forte, and Ball were picked. I picked 8 and took Ball and then Murray in round 2. I fully expected a WR/QB in round 2 when I took ball. Then I regretted taking Ball at all after seeing guys like Vereen, Bush, J. Bell, Chris Johnson, P. Thomas, Rice, Richardson, B. Tate, and Steven Jackson lasting so long. Foster almost made it to me in round 3.

Reaches: Sankey went very high. Justin Hunter went much higher than expected. Since I live in Atlanta, several Falcons, UGA, and Auburn guys always go higher than they should. Cam went round 2. AJ went after Calvin/D. Thomas (both GT).

WR panic: Per above, the WRs started flying and then a panic ensued where all the people that took RBs started reaching for WRs. Every single year I am able to wait and draft Colston. I have always done it with Sproles too but that was his time in New Orleans.

Gronk. I don't remember the round but I got him low after JT, Cameron, and V. Davis. He was on my do not draft list but I couldn't pass him up.

Things I don't understand: Why Gates, Steven Jackson, and K. Moreno are going so low. Woodhead, Vereen, Sproles, and P. Thomas are PPR guys that went really low. I picked J. Boykin with one of my very last picks. Steve Smith went incredibly late too. You make a killer team out of veterans that are boring picks.

I snagged RGIII towards the end of the 11th Round as my backup QB (pick 131 overall). Now, I know he hasn't looked great recently, but I thought this was some pretty good value late in the draft. Really surprised nobody took a chance on him as their QB1.

Literally got laughed at for drafting Moreno as my RB4. Laughter? Really?

Surprised that after the first 6 QB's came off the board in the predicted ADP slot (Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Luck, Stafford, Foles), the six owners that passed on QB's kept passing on QB's for a few rounds, essentially playing chicken with their QB#1 spot. I don't remember any other year where I saw that kind of QB value that late.

I didn't know the guy sitting next to me at my draft (friend of a friend, first year in the league). His wife kept texting him naked pictures of herself throughout the draft.

What surprised me is he kept showing them to me.

Derek Carr went in the 8th round.

It's a keep-3 league, so it's essentially the 11th round, but still.

Rookies are at a premium because you can only keep as many as 3 if one was a rookie the previous year, but still.

The guy who took him is an insane Raider homer who always takes at least 4 Raiders, but still.

I think that's the first pick in league history of a guy who would have been there 10 rounds later.

LittlePhatty said:
I didn't know the guy sitting next to me at my draft (friend of a friend, first year in the league). His wife kept texting him naked pictures of herself throughout the draft.

What surprised me is he kept showing them to me.
:lmao:

RG3's stock has REALLY fallen. I took him in the 11th round(as a 2nd QB) in a 12 teamer which I thought was insane and in the 10th in another.

12 team standard- Charles fell to 6th pick.
Charles fell to #3 in ours, behind Peyton and Rodgers.

The 1.12/2.01 turn (guy actually knows what he's doing) took Stafford and Luck, making 5 QBs in the first 13 picks. 6 pts per TD, but still...

Montee Ball fell to 2.09 (one pick before me)

Bernard Pierce taken well before Ray Rice.

Kickers went way too early and most teams took two.

One of our owners took 4 Chiefs and not Kelce or Charles, plus Succup.

I took three qbs. In the first four rounds. Manning, Luck, and derek carr.

Now that you have picked yourself up off the floor after fainting, the league is more weighted towards QB scoring, you can start a second QB as an optional player, and you HAVE to start a rookie.

Caught a little flack for the carr pick, but i dont mind swinging for the fence in hopes carr holds that starting job all year. If he does, very nice advantage getting starting qb points from the rookie spot all year.

If ur not first ur last.

RG3's stock has REALLY fallen. I took him in the 11th round(as a 2nd QB) in a 12 teamer which I thought was insane and in the 10th in another.
That's pretty common. I took him in the 10th the other night and a buddy of mine took him in the 11th yesterday. His stock has been plummeting lately.

I took three qbs. In the first four rounds. Manning, Luck, and derek carr.

Now that you have picked yourself up off the floor after fainting, the league is more weighted towards QB scoring, you can start a second QB as an optional player, and you HAVE to start a rookie.

Caught a little flack for the carr pick, but i dont mind swinging for the fence in hopes carr holds that starting job all year. If he does, very nice advantage getting starting qb points from the rookie spot all year.

If ur not first ur last.
You surprised yourself by using logic. :ninja:

I thought I got a steal with Welker in the 11th round of a 12 team ppr redraft. Got the suspension notice 10 minutes after the pick.

Besides Peyton in the 1st round, QBs fell like crazy in my FFPC draft.

I got A-Aron in the 4th and Cam Newton in the 11th.

Users who are viewing this thread