What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Captain America: Winter Soldier (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. I know they cut footage of Cap acclimating to modern times from the Avengers. I'm hoping this movie—though it takes place 2 years later—still retains some of that. More than even Hulk's story, there are more notes of sadness/melancholy to the Captain America character.

Does one have to have caught all of the marvel movies to enjoy this if the 1st CA is the only one watched?
I wouldn't think so. It happens well after the Avengers movie. So you may hear references to that but it shouldn't make it hard to follow the film.

In. Looks good and my son is going to be ecstatic about this. Captain America is his favorite superhero by far.

Looks pretty weak IMO. Not even sure that Redford being in it can counteract the exhaustively over saturated SLJ. I couldn't even finish the first one.

Looks pretty weak IMO. Not even sure that Redford being in it can counteract the exhaustively over saturated SLJ. I couldn't even finish the first one.
The first one was the weakest of the Marvel entrants last time IMO. This does look a lot better.

The first one was the weakest of the Marvel entrants last time IMO. This does look a lot better.
Not sure I agree with that. I thought Iron Man 2, Thor & the Edward Norton Hulk were all about on par (at times better & at times worse) with the first Captain America movie. Haven't seen IM 3 yet.

Not sure I agree with that. I thought Iron Man 2, Thor & the Edward Norton Hulk were all about on par (at times better & at times worse) with the first Captain America movie. Haven't seen IM 3 yet.
I don't count Norton's Hulk personally. I liked IM 2 and Thor better than the first Cap flick.

They really made some mistakes with the shield in general. They stated that because it is made of vibranium (still waiting on that Black Panther movie BTW) it absorbs all kinetic energy. If that's the case why would it bounce and ricochet all over the place? The answer is that it wouldn't, it would hit something, absorb the kinetic energy and fall to the ground.

They really made some mistakes with the shield in general. They stated that because it is made of vibranium (still waiting on that Black Panther movie BTW) it absorbs all kinetic energy. If that's the case why would it bounce and ricochet all over the place? The answer is that it wouldn't, it would hit something, absorb the kinetic energy and fall to the ground.
Oh boy.

Oh boy.
It isn't pure vibranium. It is an alloy of iron, vibranium and some unknown catalyst. The scientist who created it would later invent Admantium trying to re-create the properties of the shield. Now the shield has been referred to as containing Admantium steel as well. But they have changed the history of the shield so many times it is kind of hard to keep track of which one he is currently using.

I'm rather hoping this is the last time we'll see him for a while... like, until Avengers 2. It would make sense... as long as he's not in Thor 2 (which he probably isn't) and he's not in Guardians of the Galaxy (an appearance there would be unlikely), then Avengers 2 will be the next one. And hopefully the last.

Oh boy.
It isn't pure vibranium. It is an alloy of iron, vibranium and some unknown catalyst. The scientist who created it would later invent Admantium trying to re-create the properties of the shield. Now the shield has been referred to as containing Admantium steel as well. But they have changed the history of the shield so many times it is kind of hard to keep track of which one he is currently using.
I am talking about the movie shield not comic book canon. In the film it was stated to absorb all vibrations well if that's the case then ricocheting would not be possible.

Just sayin'.

Does one have to have caught all of the marvel movies to enjoy this if the 1st CA is the only one watched?
Almost definitely not. I'd place a reasonable wager on people being able to walk into this one and enjoy it without having seen the others. It has the advantage of taking place in real time from The Avengers - that flick came out in 2012, this one is 2014, and it takes place two years after the events of The Avengers... so it wouldn't be natural for the characters to be constantly referencing those events.

Oh boy.
I am talking about the movie shield not comic book canon. In the film it was stated to absorb all vibrations well if that's the case then ricocheting would not be possible.

Just sayin'.
You got to go by canon.

So are they setting up Avengers II to have SHIELD as the bad guy?.....or is it going to be a different shadowy arm of the Government that tries to corral superheroes (kind of like in Iron Man III)?

Curious how they are going to handle the Bucky back story and how he managed to survive for 70 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably nitpicking but the previous post is kind of spoilerish.

I think they will have it pretty close to the comics version - found by the Russians made into an operative. Will need to be creative with why they freeze him between deployments

Unsure if I'll check this one out. The first one was terribly boring, my least favorite of the Avengers series.

Actually, it just sucked. Watched part of it at home and couldn't even finish it. :X

NCCommish said:
Chaka said:
NCCommish said:
mad sweeney said:
I don't count Norton's Hulk personally. I liked IM 2 and Thor better than the first Cap flick.
Never followed the Marvel comics as a kid. I was more DC.

For the films, I ranked them:

Iron Man

Avengers

Captain America

Incredible Hulk

Thor

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

What I know of Red Skull was from the Spiderman cartoon. He seemed pretty badass and Weaving portrayed him well. I hope he survived somehow.

Avengers

Iron Man

Thor

IM 2

Hulk

Captain America

IM 3

Looking more forward to Thor 2 than Cap 2, but this trailer looks way better than the first Cap. Color me unsold on the GoG they are planning.

Avengers

Iron Man 3

Iron Man

Captain America 2 (probably)

Thor 2 (probably)

Captain America

Thor

Iron Man 2

Incredible Hulk

In. Looks good and my son is going to be ecstatic about this. Captain America is his favorite superhero by far.
Surprisingly, my 10 year old son was somewhat underwhelmed by the trailer. He said it looked "too modern and high tech". He prefers Captain America in his original setting like in the old comic books and the first movie. Kid has always been a bit of an "old soul" though.

Surprisingly, my 10 year old son was somewhat underwhelmed by the trailer. He said it looked "too modern and high tech". He prefers Captain America in his original setting like in the old comic books and the first movie. Kid has always been a bit of an "old soul" though.
I liked that the first one was a period piece, which made it unlike most other superhero films.

I'm intrigued that this one looks like a paranoid espionage thriller. Which makes it unlike most other superhero films. Maybe not as interesting to 10 year olds, admittedly.

Nothing wrong with being a traditionalist.

Thought it was right there with Ironman at the top.

Ironman sequel sucked but this looks legit.
Yeah I couldn't go there with it. I would put it even with Norton's Hulk both had some good parts but were spotty IMO.

I thought this was really excellent. Very different from any of the previous Marvel films, and man does it turn things in the Marvel Cinematic Universe on its head.

Anyone have any reviews? Going next week with a bunch of guys from my neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread