What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ice baths/cold plunges (1 Viewer)

Zow

Footballguy
I'm sure some of you may have seen the new health fad going around that it is very beneficial for your body's circulation and muscle recovery to take a very uncomfortable "bath" into nearly freezing cold water. I was initially very skeptical, but I tried it twice this summer and, despite the 45-60 seconds of blinding discomfort that nearly suffocated me from shock, I could not believe how great and awake I felt (both mind and body) just a few minutes later and for the remainder of that day.

Based on my positive experiences above, I purchased an "Icepod" and accompanying chiller for home use. My plan is to set up it near my outdoor hot tub. But, with winter coming (I live in temperate climate with actual winters) I had a few questions. I also wanted to make this a thread (did a search and didn't see one) for others to share their experiences.

1. Do you use yours in the winter?
2. Does it make sense/is it healthy to do a cold plunge then immediate jump into a 103 degree hot tub? I ask because the two times I've done this before was in areas where it was over 100 degrees so warming back up was easy. But, I'm a little worried about the temp extremes in such a short period of time.
3. Best time of day to use it?

Any dos/don'ts also appreciated.

If it was good enough for the Romans, it’s good enough for us.

Seriously, I’m interested in hearing others experiences.

:blackdot: For future reference. So interested in doing this but I'm a giant wuss. I'd love to pull the trigger on one of these.

I used to use a trash can and a bunch of water bottle that I would keep in one of those mesh laundry bags so I reused them over and over.

Makes you feel ALIVE!!!!!!

ETA - Ice baths were common place in locker rooms but I haven’t done that shot in years. I just take ice cold showers. That’s enough for me.

I used to use a trash can and a bunch of water bottle that I would keep in one of those mesh laundry bags so I reused them over and over.

ETA - Ice baths were common place in locker rooms but I haven’t done that shot in years. I just take ice cold showers. That’s enough for me.
I’ve often enjoyed the ice cold shower before the wife joins. It really wakes her up.

I am pretty sure all those European countries full of hot blond chicks do naked ice plunges followed by naked saunas and they seem to be healthy and happy (when not being invaded by Russia) so it should be safe enough for us middle aged American males.

Looking forward to the shtick and expertise this thread is sure to bring.

I'm sure some of you may have seen the new health fad going around that it is very beneficial for your body's circulation and muscle recovery to take a very uncomfortable "bath" into nearly freezing cold water. I was initially very skeptical, but I tried it twice this summer and, despite the 45-60 seconds of blinding discomfort that nearly suffocated me from shock, I could not believe how great and awake I felt (both mind and body) just a few minutes later and for the remainder of that day.

Based on my positive experiences above, I purchased an "Icepod" and accompanying chiller for home use. My plan is to set up it near my outdoor hot tub. But, with winter coming (I live in temperate climate with actual winters) I had a few questions. I also wanted to make this a thread (did a search and didn't see one) for others to share their experiences.

2. Does it make sense/is it healthy to do a cold plunge then immediate jump into a 103 degree hot tub? I ask because the two times I've done this before was in areas where it was over 100 degrees so warming back up was easy. But, I'm a little worried about the temp extremes in such a short period of time.

What is your "actual winter"?

Questions:

1. I’m not getting a plunge tank. How long of a cold shower is ideal?

2. Is it beneficial to me health wise to start my shower cold for like two or three minutes but then go to my normal scalding hot shower when I’m doing all of my cleaning?

Comparable to like Denver or Aspen. Several feet of snow, temps regularly below freezing, but still plenty of sun.

Think actual winter but it's good winter - not the dreary, sleet-riddled east coast winter nor the bitterly cold midwest winters.

I genuinely could not believe how good and awake I felt after it.

I am pretty sure all those European countries full of hot blond chicks do naked ice plunges followed by naked saunas and they seem to be healthy and happy (when not being invaded by Russia) so it should be safe enough for us middle aged American males.

Looking forward to the shtick and expertise this thread is sure to bring.
Hmm the bold was not offered on the company's website I ordered from.

I genuinely could not believe how good and awake I felt after it.
I still don’t know how it doesn’t give you a heart attack but all my trainers said it was fine.

I purchased "the plunge" in April. Cannot express just how much I love it. A friend of mine got one and it became slightly addicting. I never thought I would get my own, but my wife turned into an avid plunger. I felt like I was annoying my friend and my wife green lighted the purchase.

Mine sits on the back porch, we don't have too much freezing weather, but we have had a few 30 degree mornings and I still love it. Standing outside is cold, getting in it is colder. I don't think it will hurt you.

I get in within 10 minutes of waking up nearly every morning. So around 430, then I hit the gym. Its a wild experience and some mornings suck, but I love it.

Getting back in the sauna would defeat the affects, right? You need to carry that shiver. There are some days I do both, but I always end with a plunge.

And I do it naked, like the hot chicks.

Have honestly thought of getting one of these. I do cold showers now, but my cold water doesn't get very cold.

And I know the stigma is that it's a Joe Rogan/Bro thing, but I feel like a different person when I do it. Need to get my sleep apena figured out to feel really good, but that's another thread.

Cold tubs are great. Used to bathe in the cold tub after football practice in college. Not every day, but maybe once a week. We always used to say "embrace the cold" because if you can try to relax that first minute or so, you go numb much easier. If you tense up, the first minute or two are really painful. But it does really help the muscles, or at least I always felt better afterwards even if it was a placebo affect.

15+ years ago this became a thing with paleo dieters (when i lost 100 pounds - still maintaining). The idea was that grok bathed in ice cold water and we evolved to gain health benefits from doing so. Or, modern man has lost the benefits of doing so and there wasn't any evolving involved - just our basic biology. It's not without some risks. Last spring while visiting Lake Tahoe there was a sad story of a young local athlete who did the polar plunge off a boat, shocked his system, had a heart attack and died. So acclimating is a really good idea. I can confirm acclimating is real. When I first started trying similar, I couldn't take my cold shower temp for more than a shocking couple of minutes. I didn't understand how pro athletes just settle into post-workout ice baths so calmly. In about a week, it stopped being so breathtaking and I could stand under it for as long as I wanted.

The doctor blogger I was following believed the key was getting all the surface heat off your body. Head, back of neck, armpits, crotch. Then endure the cold for an additional 5 minutes. I have a five mile loop in the desert behind my house I've been doing for over two decades. Used to be daily. Period. Not so much these days, but still 3-5 times a week. The shower after starts with cool water, then just the cold tap until everything is burrassfreezing, then finish with lukewarm water. I take a normal hot shower on days I miss.

I've read many times the research is inconclusive or just hasn't been done, but I think these 11 benefits all sound reasonable. Is a fancy soaking tub better than my showers? I don't know but I doubt it. The doctor blogger I remember said marginally better maybe, and thought using nature (lake river ocean) was a fun change of pace. I'll be back in Tahoe next week and not jumping in the lake.

Some random thoughts. In the 80s I lived with three surfers who grew up in Redondo Beach. It was common knowledge that a drunken dip in the ocean stopped hangovers, and if not, an ocean swim first thing in the morning was almost as good. We all know ice reduces inflammation and pain for injuries (even wounds), so it seems those two benefits for whole body treatment make some sense.

I started doing this before it became a thing. About 3-4 years ago, I watched a documentary on Wim Hoff, “The Iceman”
I’m a runner (yes one of the nerds in the 10K thread), and I have a bad knee. I started by buying bags of ice and dumping them in my bathtub. This got to be pretty annoying and costly, and I knew there had to be a better way. I went on YouTube and found that you can easily create a cold tub by using a chest freezer. Simply fill with water and put it on a timer.

I’ve read Wim’s books and use his breathing methods as well. I honestly feel like the ice baths have enabled me to continue running despite my need for a knee replacement. I’ve done quite a bit of research on the benefits. There is some interesting discussions on when to use and when not to use.

After much experimenting, I feel like the sweet spot for my water temp is around 48-55. As for warming up after, I usually soak in a hot bath. Not sure I’d go straight into a hot tub at 100 degrees. I’m sure you can find answers to any questions on the internet, but I’d be happy to answer any questions about my own experiences with ice baths.

I purchased "the plunge" in April. Cannot express just how much I love it. A friend of mine got one and it became slightly addicting. I never thought I would get my own, but my wife turned into an avid plunger. I felt like I was annoying my friend and my wife green lighted the purchase.

Mine sits on the back porch, we don't have too much freezing weather, but we have had a few 30 degree mornings and I still love it. Standing outside is cold, getting in it is colder. I don't think it will hurt you.

I get in within 10 minutes of waking up nearly every morning. So around 430, then I hit the gym. Its a wild experience and some mornings suck, but I love it.

Getting back in the sauna would defeat the affects, right? You need to carry that shiver. There are some days I do both, but I always end with a plunge.

Not challenging you and asking genuinely: why as to the bold?

Not challenging you and asking genuinely: why as to the bold?
Despite having a plunge, I'm by far an expert on this stuff. Everything you google will tell you to warm up naturally to get the most benefit from the plunge. Letting the blood flow return naturally.....I'm over my head on the science part of it.

quick link Though I'm sure you can find an article that suggests differnetly. And I know you were asking about the sauna, but the same should apply I would assume.

Don’t take a warm bath or shower soon after your cold session

Contrast therapy has its benefits, but it’s better to allow your body to raise its temperature naturally and gradually.

Some great ways to warm up after an ice bath are:

1. Stretch out in the sun. Resist the urge to huddle or scrunch up after an ice bath to keep warm. Instead, think about getting big to get the maximum benefits from your bath.
  2. Dry off with a towel and dress in warm layers (like our poncho).
  3. Have a warm drink (such as coffee, soup or tea) or eat something. Foods that are rich in healthy fats, protein and iron (such as eggs) can help you warm up.
  4. Light activity, such as walking at a comfortable pace can help accelerate your body’s natural warming process.

Reactions: Zow

Comparable to like Denver or Aspen. Several feet of snow, temps regularly below freezing, but still plenty of sun.

Think actual winter but it's good winter - not the dreary, sleet-riddled east coast winter nor the bitterly cold midwest winters.
interesting didn't think AZ had that

interesting didn't think AZ had that
It's a big state. I'm up nearer to the Grand Canyon.

Twice in my life I've jumped into really cold water while drunk, and both times felt amazing afterwards. That combination of alcohol and adrenaline, wow. Pretty sure it would be a horrible idea to do with any regularity though, and when I'm sober it doesn't interest me.

The steam room where youre just dripping sweat followed by the cold plunge at a spa I visited was pretty incredible.
I could never do the steam rooms. If you just want a frustrated and angrier version of me (if you can even imagine that), that’s me in a sauna room.
we're talking about steam right. i don't care for sauna. but its rough. i can't hang for very long. i'm a heavy sweater as is. i used to only like it when it had the menthol or whatever the hell they injected into the air that felt great going into your lungs. but the cold plunge just makes it all worth it. it was like a jacuzzi sized pool but like 8 feet deep so you just drop right in, hit the bottom and then climb out. just talking about it makes me to hit up that spa again.

The steam room where youre just dripping sweat followed by the cold plunge at a spa I visited was pretty incredible.
I could never do the steam rooms. If you just want a frustrated and angrier version of me (if you can even imagine that), that’s me in a sauna room.
we're talking about steam right. i don't care for sauna. but its rough. i can't hang for very long. i'm a heavy sweater as is. i used to only like it when it had the menthol or whatever the hell they injected into the air that felt great going into your lungs. but the cold plunge just makes it all worth it. it was like a jacuzzi sized pool but like 8 feet deep so you just drop right in, hit the bottom and then climb out. just talking about it makes me to hit up that spa again.
Steam, sauna, Florida, Maryland in the summer- anyplace that’s hot and humid (that doesn’t involve my wife)

Steam, sauna, Florida, Maryland in the summer- anyplace that’s hot and humid (that doesn’t involve my wife)
maybe it won't be as bad now that you've lost all that weight

I could be wrong and I’m sure it’s discussed above but I don’t think the research is so clear on how helpful this is

I started doing this before it became a thing. About 3-4 years ago, I watched a documentary on Wim Hoff, “The Iceman”
I’m a runner (yes one of the nerds in the 10K thread), and I have a bad knee. I started by buying bags of ice and dumping them in my bathtub. This got to be pretty annoying and costly, and I knew there had to be a better way. I went on YouTube and found that you can easily create a cold tub by using a chest freezer. Simply fill with water and put it on a timer.

I’ve read Wim’s books and use his breathing methods as well. I honestly feel like the ice baths have enabled me to continue running despite my need for a knee replacement. I’ve done quite a bit of research on the benefits. There is some interesting discussions on when to use and when not to use.

After much experimenting, I feel like the sweet spot for my water temp is around 48-55. As for warming up after, I usually soak in a hot bath. Not sure I’d go straight into a hot tub at 100 degrees. I’m sure you can find answers to any questions on the internet, but I’d be happy to answer any questions about my own experiences with ice baths.
Do you have issues with your hands getting too cold?

Well I just gave it a shot after a light workout. Just used the bath with cold tap water. It's snow covered outside though so the ground water is pretty friggin cold. Not sure what the actual water temp was but enough to hurt for sure.

The thing that sucked is that our tub is pretty small, so I couldn't fully submerge all at once and had to do the hard part twice. First sitting so belly button down to toes was submerged. Then 5-10 mins later hung my feet out of the tub and was able to lay down enough to submerge waist up to neck, which was basically like starting all over again.

Not sure I can see myself doing this regularly. I feel okay, don't feel like I'm ready to take over the world yet. I'm still warming up and typing this is taking way longer than it normally would as my fingers are still moving slow. This hot chocolate with Baileys feels well earned though.

Last edited:
Well I just gave it a shot after a light workout. Just used the bath with cold tap water. It's snow covered outside though so the ground water is pretty friggin cold. Not sure what the actual water temp was but enough to hurt for sure.

The thing that sucked is that our tub is pretty small, so I couldn't fully submerge all at once and had to do the hard part twice. First sitting so belly button down to toes was submerged. Then 5-10 mins later hung my feet out of the tub and was able to lay down enough to submerge waist up to neck, which was basically like starting all over again.

Not sure how I can see myself doing this regularly. I feel okay, don't feel like I'm ready to take over the world yet. I'm still warming up and typing this is taking way longer than it normally would as my fingers are still moving slow. This hot chocolate with Baileys feels well earned though.
This remains me of that time somebody posted on here about a 24 hr. fast with a salt water flush and I tried to blindly and threw up.

I understand you hang clothes on an unused exercise bike.

What do you use these for when they sit, unused?
Ugh don't get me started on the bike...

I am confident that I'll use this thing. I just am skeptical about starting to do so with winter here.

Not to derail, but saunas don't have to steam rooms. Traditionally they are super hot and dry and your sweat evaporates instantly. The Nordic countries that showed us the way on these cold plunges are pretty big into suanas, and I think they don't do the steamy jungle version you guys are talking about.

Recently I've been thinking of putting in a basement bathroom with a sauna and I was going to repurpose a Japanese soaking tub as a plunge pool. A plunge pool is sounding better and better.

First sitting so belly button down to toes was submerged. Then 5-10 mins later hung my feet out of the tub and was able to lay down enough to submerge waist up to neck, which was basically like starting all over again
Is there a video of this?

I used to do the ice bath at a sauna in Germany over 30 years ago. The rugby team would take a sauna after practice once a week and there was an ice bath outside the sauna, so we'd go back and forth. This was a co-ed university sauna and the main thing I remember is being concerned with the shrinkage effect.

I think he is insane, but my husband does this 2 or 3 times a week and swears it by it.

He fills our jacuzzi tub with water as cold as the tap will provide and then puts a bag of ice in and sits for 10 to 15 minutes.

Questions:

1. I’m not getting a plunge tank. How long of a cold shower is ideal?

2. Is it beneficial to me health wise to start my shower cold for like two or three minutes but then go to my normal scalding hot shower when I’m doing all of my cleaning?
I've been taking cold showers for the last year. Every shower setting will differ but I just set it as cold as possible. Sometimes, if I have particularly odorous bacteria to clean, I will use lukewarm water in the middle. You definitely want to finish with cold water. Some people recommend shocking your body by transitioning multiple times between hot/cold. In the beginning, I had to work into the full cold setting. I am used to it now and no longer shiver. I think there is a mental aspect so the cold water feels normal.

Not sure how I can see myself doing this regularly. I feel okay, don't feel like I'm ready to take over the world yet. I'm still warming up and typing this is taking way longer than it normally would as my fingers are still moving slow. This hot chocolate with Baileys feels well earned though.
This remains me of that time somebody posted on here about a 24 hr. fast with a salt water flush and I tried to blindly and threw up.
Most people need to fast for at least 36 hours to enter ketosis. Maybe even 3 days. Your hunger, or ghrelin, will really start to decrease during the 2nd or 3rd day. I don't know about the salt water flush but you do need some electrolytes during an extended fast. You were halfway there.

Users who are viewing this thread