What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Here are my thoughts on the Quarterback position. (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
My strategy for the Quarterback position is to completely look past Peyton Manning and his magic season. Yes, Peyton Manning is the man but statistically he usually scores less points than Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. Plus the guy is almost 40 and one neck injury away from a quick retirement.

So we've got Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton likely going in Rounds 2 - 3. I mean, that's great and it's really debatable whether that's a correct move or not.

Yes, there are plenty other Quarterbacks out of the big three that throw for 30 Touchdowns each year. But it seems to change EVERY YEAR, that's why they aren't in the 'BIg 3' Matt Stafford is so close to being there but he went from throwing 40 Touchdowns to less than 30 Touchdowns and really torched me that 2nd season. Don't get me wrong his yardage was through the roof but Touchdowns win games.

Either way, ideally we want a guy who can lead the league in Touchdowns at this position. Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan are the few outliers that I think given their supporting cast have the capability to do that. I think Romo has the talent but needs one more explosive talent outside of Williams and Bryant. He's a lock for about 30 at least.

But at some point, you've got to consider your Running Quarterbacks in Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III, and Cam Newton. For whatever reason, every year weird things happen in drafts and for whatever reason I always have a few creepy drafts where Cam Newton falls just far enough for me to grab him. It's usually late 3rd / 4th round, where you just blink in surprise as everyone else has also decided to wait for a Quarterback.

That's the thing about Fantasty Football, your starting Quarterback is the barometer for your team. If you take him early and he busts, well that's tough sailing for you. Likewise, if you can wait out a few rounds and stock up depth at RB / WR it's going to benefit your team greatly.

I remember getting Kurt Warner a few years back and really believing he could support a decent Offense with Fitzgerald and Bolden. He pulled it off. If you don't take a Quarterback in Rounds 1 - 5, you really have to have faith in this sleeper pick. Believe me, you will have insane depth up and down your lineup. Maybe you think this is the year Colin Kaepernick explodes and throws for 25+ Touchdowns to go with his rushing stats?

Don't forget about the Golden Boy though. Tom Brady has to be considered early on. Look at his 2nd half stats and tell me he can't produce at a high level anymore. Patriots attempt a lot of passes.

Personally, I'd take Colin Kaepernick over Cam Newton. Even if this Rookie does step up, his ceiling is like 25 Passing Touchdowns. I feel like Kaepernick could wing it for 30 Touchdowns with his current Offense and no one would bat an eye. I wouldn't mind having him a few leagues. If the Seahawks plan to run as much as they have in the past, then Russell Wilson is off my draft board. They ranked dead last in the past, yeah, I want that guy as my Fantasy Quarterback.

Philip Rivers, Andrew Luck, and Ben Roethlisberger make up this weird tier of guys that have upside and average floors. I put my money on Luck to outscore both those guys though and you have to consider taking him in the Colin Kaeperick, Cam Newton, Robert Griffin III territory.

Then you've got those veterans like Carson Palmer who looks to have a decent Offense out there in the desert. You've got Michael Vick fighting off Geno Smith. We all know we want to see Michael Vick play in New York, ripping Touchdown passes to Eric Decker. If he starts, he'll be on every team I draft. He's hilarious to watch play when he's starting as your fantasy Quarterback. It's usually either really awesome or really terrible.

"Michael Vick scores 2 Touchdowns in the first half and leave the game with an injury."

Then you got your 'hurt' guys. Like Jay Cutler or Aaron Rodgers. Yeah, they're bad ### but it's the most annoying feeling in the world when you read they left at halftime. Drew Brees doesn't do that.

There's a weird haze of guys that you want nothing to do with. Joe Flacco. Yeah, no thanks bud. Sam Bradford, woo hoo! Championship. Nick Foles. Throws for 7 Touchdowns (against the Raiders). What I dislike about Nick Foles is his 220YPG. If he played a full season that's only 3,520 yards.

Yeah OK, the Eagles run more plays than anyone else and Nick Foles is only getting 220 yards a game. If he has a bad Touchdown year, the yards won't be there to support that. I really like Mathews. If the Eagles Offense is high scoring, it will be because Jordan Mathews is producing and I would gamble on that before I gambled on Nick Foles as my starting Quarterback.

Josh McCown, Matt Schaub, Andy Dalton, Chad Henne.

The problem here is that Chad Henne has more upside than all of these guys. Andy Dalton is under a new Head Coach who loves to throw the ball. Winging the ball is cool and all against lesser competition but come playoff time they need to dominate in the trenches. I think the Bengals become a Seattle Seahawks knockoff.

Jacksonville on the other side has some very interesting Wide Receiver prospects and the Defense will give Chad Henne plenty of shootout opportunities. I'm not saying he should be your starter but if they play the Broncos or the Cowboys he's potentially throwing for 3 - 4 Touchdowns that week. Again, love his new Wide Receiving core. Even without Blackmon.

There's a crew of young players:

EJ Manuel, Jake Locker, Geno Smith, Teddy Bridgewater that have decent weapons around them. But their upside doesn't scratch that of the top 10 - 12 players at the position. Feels like your pick at scraps at this point. Might as well take a chance on Ryan Fitzpatrick than these guys. Brian Hoyer gets the throw to the best Wide Receiver in the league and he's from New England, ooh, aah.

Who am I missing? Alex Smith. Eli Manning. Josh McCown? Those are guys that you've got to see how they're playing. If McCown still has a little Chicago magic in him, sure I'll take him to cover Drew Brees bye week. I'd love to have Eli Manning as a backup to Andrew Luck. Alex Smith, I don't even.

Nice stream of thought. A couple of suggestions:

Look up the total offensive plays for the Eagles and compare it to the league acerage. You will be surprised.

Look up Hue Jackson's history as a HC and coordinator. The historical pass/run percent is much different than you portray.

QB is so deep this year. Last year the difference in my leagues between QB3 (Dalton) and QB15 (Smith) was about 4.5ppg. That's not a big difference at all. When you do QB3-QB12, it ends up being just over 3ppg. I feel I can make that difference up with my RBs and WRs rather easily.

Then there is always the QBBC approach when you can pair up someone like Romo and Cuter or Romo and Wilson and definitely be more than okay at QB. Unless Manning/Rodgers/Brees fall to me and the value is too good to pass up, I don't see myself going after either one.

When I look back at the championship teams in my leagues last year it was Rivers vs Romo, Wilson vs. Luck and Romo vs. Cutler. In one of my leagues, there were 4 QBs taken in the 1st 2 rounds. Only one of those teams made the playoffs. I just don't see the need to take a QB early.

Romo and Brady and maybe Cutler, depending on how people come around in the next few weeks look, to me, to be three guys you can get at a relative basement bargain price and yet could be a top 5-7 QB.

It's kind of crazy to think I could linger throughout the entire top half of a draft and still pull out a guy like Romo to be my weekly QB. THat has to create a great deal of advantage somewhere.

There's a weird haze of guys that you want nothing to do with. Joe Flacco. Yeah, no thanks bud. Sam Bradford, woo hoo! Championship. Nick Foles. Throws for 7 Touchdowns (against the Raiders). What I dislike about Nick Foles is his 220YPG. If he played a full season that's only 3,520 yards.

Yeah OK, the Eagles run more plays than anyone else and Nick Foles is only getting 220 yards a game. If he has a bad Touchdown year, the yards won't be there to support that. I really like Mathews. If the Eagles Offense is high scoring, it will be because Jordan Mathews is producing and I would gamble on that before I gambled on Nick Foles as my starting Quarterback.
Nick Foles' per-game numbers include games where he was a backup. In his 10 starts, Foles averaged 264.5 yards, which would work out to 4232 over a full season. (He'd also add another 352 rushing yards based on his per-start rushing averages.)

Romo and Brady and maybe Cutler, depending on how people come around in the next few weeks look, to me, to be three guys you can get at a relative basement bargain price and yet could be a top 5-7 QB.

It's kind of crazy to think I could linger throughout the entire top half of a draft and still pull out a guy like Romo to be my weekly QB. THat has to create a great deal of advantage somewhere.
Has been my strategy so far. I'd rather load up at RB/WR and still have a guy at QB that can produce a top 5 season than grab a Manning/Brees/Rodgers and have to scramble to find good RB/WR help.

Using FBG ADP stats and assuming you are in a 12 team league and you are the last team to pick a QB1 so 11 are off the board including Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees, Luck, Foles, RGIII, Stafford, Cam Newton, Ryan, Kaepernick and I'm surprised CK is in the top 10-12 after last season.

12. Romo-late 7th

13. Wilson-early 8th

14. Cutler-Late 8th

15. Rivers-9th

16. Big Ben-9th

Now I believe those ADP numbers could push much further into the double digit rounds if you are the LAST team to take a QB. I would prefer being the 12th team and not allow 1-2 more taken off the board before I grabbed my 1st but I probably would push my luck at QB until about the 9th/10th round although I see guys grab 2 QBs for whatever reason in almost every redraft I ever do. Same guy who takes Brees in the 2nd/3rd all the sudden has to have Jay Cutler in the 11th because he just can't believe he is still sitting there even though he really can never play him.

Let's talk about taking some 1-2 combos out of this group of 5. I also want to throw in Palmer and Eli for talk later.

Romo and just about anyone in that group is gonna be solid but I like Romo/Big Ben or Romo/Rivers better than Romo/Wilson or even Romo/Cutler because there is injury risk with Romo/Cutler, usually one of them misses time. I like the steadiness of a Big Ben and Rivers to pair with hopefully major upside like Romo.

I guess this thread is as good as any to spout off my Romo hype. I see a defense that is putrid and racking up injuries quickly. Not good for a last place defense but the good news is Dallas will have to score about 35+ a week and they have the talent to do it on offense plus a much improved OL over the last 2-3 seasons that is trying to become a perennial top 10. Dallas is gonna have to try and go on some long drives on offense to limit their defensive exposure. I like Romo paired with just about anyone and to be able to grab him as the 12th guy off the board seems like a steal especially if God forbid you can get him in say the 10th as routinely it has happened in plenty of redrafts thus far. I thought the ADP projections for a savvy league might be a bit high on FBG, we'll see.

But getting back to Romo, he seems a lock for 4,500 yds and 25-30 TD with the weapons he has and also the need for them to score a lot in order to win.

2 other QBs I like a little who are being drafted later are Palmer and Eli, strictly as a QB2 to pair with someone a lot stronger but you could do far worse as your QB2 and I feel both can out perform their draft slots. But I do not endorse trying to roll a Palmer/Eli combo out there waiting until double digit rounds unless you are somehow so stacked you just didn't have to worry. There is a ceiling for both but top 15 wouldn't be that hard to believe from either. QB 20 and 21 off the board respectively right now.

Nice thread.

Best ball I see the QBs falling further and further down in the drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are in a deeper league and want to wait a really long time, I think Tannehill has upside if they emulate the Eagles style of offense. Just the fact that they'll run the option some intrigues me because he is a good athlete, running more plays with better play calling makes it even better.

Nick Foles' per-game numbers include games where he was a backup. In his 10 starts, Foles averaged 264.5 yards, which would work out to 4232 over a full season. (He'd also add another 352 rushing yards based on his per-start rushing averages.)
with a full year and off season under his belt you have to imagine that Kelly is going to open up even more of the offense due to familiarity of the players. I think Foles and McCoy are going to have tecmo bowl type numbers.

I think the QB I'm targeting this year is Cutler - reminds me of the year that Boldin & Fitz were top 10- WR's but Warner wasn't rated that high - Both Jeffery & Marshall are top 10-12 WR's this year. Who is going to be throwing the ball to him.

I'll roll the dice that Cutler should be a huge steal this year

I think the QB I'm targeting this year is Cutler - reminds me of the year that Boldin & Fitz were top 10- WR's but Warner wasn't rated that high - Both Jeffery & Marshall are top 10-12 WR's this year. Who is going to be throwing the ball to him.

I'll roll the dice that Cutler should be a huge steal this year
OK but who do you pair him with? I think Ben or Rivers if and when he is hurt you should have some reliable stats and perhaps even some weeks a better match up. Also if you wait until QB and take Cutler at somewhere in the 13-15 range of QBs off the board, I would think about carrying 3 QBs and maybe getting the 2nd one quicker before all 11 other owners grab their QB2 so guys like Ben and Rivers would work, also have Palmer and Eli later but I think the other pairings would be stronger.

Not earth shattering but in my leagues if you don't get one of the big 3 then there is very little difference between a large group. Certainly someone from the next tier could put up a huge year and separate themselves but they are all just grouped the same. My league is an auction type and the big 3 are protected in the $35-$40 range. Most of that next tier are in the $18-$25 dollar range. I can keep Dalton for $6 so I am going that route. I'm throwing back Kaepernick ($23) because I don't see the sense in spending that addition $17.

Dalton seems to get overlooked a bit to me. He finished #5 in my league last year and his a nice offense. I don't think he is better than anyone outside the big 3 but probably belongs in that group of the next 8-10 guys.

Late combo to me is RG3/Foles
Foles has been going as a top 6 qb in drafts I have seen, sometimes as high as 4
yeah I think the general message board consensus is that he is not an elite qb but when the rubber meets the road and the drafts start then the qb run starts and the truth comes out. I think he is a monster this year. If he did that in a partial year imagine what Kelly has in store for this season.

My magazine says 220 Passing Yards per game. Which is forgivable if the Touchdowns are up.

The Eagles probably will be in the redzone plenty so there will definitely be opportunity for him to score. I think at the right price, I'd draft him but I'm not going to reach for him like others are. If you value him that high, who is catching all these Touchdowns because a yards compiler isn't what he's proven to be. I'm sure he can grow but his current cast is:

Jeremy Maclin

Riley Cooper

LeSean McCoy

Jordan Mathews

For me, there's no way Foles can go over 30 Touchdowns without a significant production from Jordan Mathews. When I watch Mathews on tape, it almost feels like I'm watching Brandon Marshall. In a round about sense, I think I'd have to draft him as my QB1 at a price I wouldn't want to pay for an unproven guy. If he falls to the late 5th, early 6th I might pull the trigger on him assuming I loaded up on adequate WR / RB up front.

Do you guys know how often the Eagles run 3WR sets? That might compel me to change my tune. I think Foles has about the same upside as Andrew Luck right now. I think those two are neck and neck. But the 7 Touchdown game, that's interesting.

That tells me he might go for 5 Touchdowns at some point this season. Why not? He also gets credit for passes he throws to LeSean McCoy?

with a full year and off season under his belt you have to imagine that Kelly is going to open up even more of the offense due to familiarity of the players. I think Foles and McCoy are going to have tecmo bowl type numbers.
Hrm, I honestly haven't been bullish on Eagles players but definitely want to acquire Maclin now. He's actually had a few decent fantasy stretches. Maybe I'll take Foles in a few of my leagues.

I believe strongly in the "plug and play" QB. I dont want to wait too long to get my guy and then take a deeper combo or something. Their chances of failure are greater individually and by the time you realize you need to switch out your probably half way thru the season. I want a high floor. I want Matt Ryan plus and will pay for it.

I'm targeting Romo as my favorite later round QB. Terrible defense, pretty good stable of recievers at the skill positions, Linehan as passing game coordinator, and a favorable division to play against.

Always wait on QB's unless someone falls in my lap.

This year is really great year to wait and snag a couple of guys in back to back rounds. This year any 2 of Romo/Rivers/Kap/Roth/Culter can be had late. Done a few mocks and Ryan/Brady/Cam/RGIII are also going in the mid-rounds.

Going to pass on Manning / Brees / Rodgers unless they somehow last into the 3rd.

Would much rather have a combo of 3 solid WR / Jimmy Graham / or RB then get one of the big 3 QB's.

Always wait on QB's unless someone falls in my lap.
Yup, this is my strategy every year and it isn't changing. I make it a point to be the last guy in y drafts to take a QB, barring a remarkable fall by someone. The point differential between mid range QB1s and low range QB2s is minimal. If you play a QQBC right you are actually better off.

cam newton seems to have fallen quite a bit. is his situation now really that much different than before? I know he lost an old smith and average lafell but shouldnt the guys they drafted and signed offset most of that? any thoughts?

The Panthers D had 60 plus sacks, and are talking about breaking the Bears record (basically pushin 70+) Luke is there to help w run -stopping too.

The fact of the matter to me, not really knowing much more than you (if anything) is: Teams will keep a SPY on Newton, while putting 8 in the Box

Now for the record I really liked Newton from the get his rookie yr I recall some guy askin for a replacement because PMan or someone was down, so I spoke to a Guru who was against getting Cam Needless to say that wasn't the best course of action.

IF you are really a Fan of Cam, Id pick him up. The Coach must have a plan in place, and this aint Cam's first rodeo

Best case scenario The Panthers D is eating up other teams The lack of spirit plays into a great running game, which opens up for a nice passing game, which creates Cam "TD" Newton lanes

p.s. ID always consult w the Gurus and FBG rankings, before taking my advice LOL

cam newton seems to have fallen quite a bit. is his situation now really that much different than before? I know he lost an old smith and average lafell but shouldnt the guys they drafted and signed offset most of that? any thoughts?
I'm not really plugged into the carolina scene, but I'd be pretty leery based more on o-line and overall team than just receivers.

coincidentally, I was just listening to pat kirwan at titans camp today ranting about southwest losing his luggage lol

anyway, when asked about their draft, wisenhunt was commenting on what a great 'problem' it is having 2 left tackles, and he mentioned being in a situation where he didn't have a left tackle on a previous team and how impossible it is to run your offense.

well, that's where carolina's at now that gross retired, and on top of that they lost wharton.

they've got a ####ty right tackle they can move over to the other side and some guy who got converted from defensive tackle a year ago --- #### knows what they do if one of those guys gets hurt.

I think arizona might have a better line, right now.

as for the defense that supposedly rivals the '86 bears, it was ranked 2nd in points and yards last year, so it was pretty good.

they lost 3 of their top 4 players in the defensive backfield --- 2 safeties and munnerlyn, and that's not even counting the loss of florence, who soaked up more than half the snaps.

that secondary is a wreck --- but who needs coverage when you're getting all these sacks....

I wouldn't be surprised if they were last in that division with 6 wins.

edit: I'll quote a post i made in another thread

if benjamin's game is downfield, exactly how long do you think cam's going to have to drop back and throw the ball this year?

from pff

• Newton led the league with 223 deep drops and he fared well at +7.4.
do you think this will change any without gross?

he also took 23 sacks on those drops and scrambled 24x --- both are also league leaders.

also from pff

In 2013, Newton scrambled when not under pressure just 3.8% of the time. When he was under pressure, he ended up scrambling 13.2%
The Panthers lost Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton this past offseason. They had a combined PFF Pass Block rating of +26.6 last year while the rest of the offensive line had an overall rating of -13.8. Replacing Gross at left tackle is Nate Chandler.

.........a Carolina line that ranked as the sixth worst pass-blocking unit in 2013 [and that's with wharton and gross -- my note]
nate chandler is a 2012 udfa defensive lineman who converted to RG last year.

their other option is to move their terrible RT over and plug chandler in over on that side..

jordan gross was in the pro bowl last year, for whatever that's worth

My magazine says 220 Passing Yards per game. Which is forgivable if the Touchdowns are up.

The Eagles probably will be in the redzone plenty so there will definitely be opportunity for him to score. I think at the right price, I'd draft him but I'm not going to reach for him like others are. If you value him that high, who is catching all these Touchdowns because a yards compiler isn't what he's proven to be. I'm sure he can grow but his current cast is:

Jeremy Maclin

Riley Cooper

LeSean McCoy

Jordan Mathews

For me, there's no way Foles can go over 30 Touchdowns without a significant production from Jordan Mathews. When I watch Mathews on tape, it almost feels like I'm watching Brandon Marshall. In a round about sense, I think I'd have to draft him as my QB1 at a price I wouldn't want to pay for an unproven guy. If he falls to the late 5th, early 6th I might pull the trigger on him assuming I loaded up on adequate WR / RB up front.

Do you guys know how often the Eagles run 3WR sets? That might compel me to change my tune. I think Foles has about the same upside as Andrew Luck right now. I think those two are neck and neck. But the 7 Touchdown game, that's interesting.

That tells me he might go for 5 Touchdowns at some point this season. Why not? He also gets credit for passes he throws to LeSean McCoy?
If you take Foles 2891 and divide by the games played 13 you get 222. But one game he threw 1 pass. Another he threw 4. A third he came in at half after Vick got hurt.

His game started averages would be 4232 pass yard (10th in 2013), 38 pass TDs (3rd in 2013), 352 rush yards (8th in 2013) and 5 rush TDs (3rd in 2013).

Users who are viewing this thread