What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Humanitarian crisis at US border (1 Viewer)

Rove!

Footballguy
http://www.businessinsider.com/immigration-border-crisis-photos-2014-6

A staggering humanitarian crisis on the U.S.-Mexico border has left federal officials scrambling to provide basic human necessities to thousands of undocumented immigrants — most of them unaccompanied children — who have flowed over the divide. The office of U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), who represents the district including the southern border town of Laredo, provided Business Insider with photos showing just how bad the conditions are at one federal facility where some of these immigrants are being held.

Cuellar's office said the photos were taken recently in a Customs and Border Protection facility in south Texas. The congressman's office declined to identify the exact source or location of the photos to protect the source's identity.

Overall, the pictures show some of the stark challenges facing immigrants as well as federal officials attempting to address the flood of people streaming over the border. In many cases, the undocumented immigrants are crammed into rooms with nowhere to sleep or even sit. And in at least one case (the first photo below), one of the immigrants has rashes that Cuellar's office said were reported to be either scabies or chickenpox.

The situation is rapidly becoming a "humanitarian crisis," in the words of President Barack Obama.

Every day, hundreds of children cross the border, mostly making their way from violence-stricken areas in Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. The causes for the influx are many, but a large portion are children fleeing increased drug and gang violence.

They have overwhelmed Border Patrol resources in the Rio Grande area, causing many migrants to be sent to processing facilities in Texas and Arizona. However, most of these detention facilities are not designed for long-term residency, which creates a nightmare situation for officials trying to relieve the backlog and, of course, for the immigrants who find themselves living in facilities like the one depicted in these photos.

Several immigration reform advocacy organizations have lodged complaints with the Department of Homeland Security over Border Patrol agents' alleged mistreatment of the undocumented immigrants. Multiple Republican lawmakers, on the other hand, have blamed Obama's policies for attracting greater numbers of immigrants.

Cuellar has said the influx of immigrants shows the need for Congress to pass legislation that comprehensively overhauls the nation's immigration system. He toured the Border Patrol facility in McAllen, Texas, on Saturday, when he spoke with the agents there, as well as the adults and unaccompanied children in the facility.

"In speaking to Border Patrol today, they commented to me that we cannot enforce ourselves out of this problem," Cuellar said in a statement of his facility tour. "Bringing more officers or paying for overtime is not the way to address this influx of migrants — we need a change of policy and we need to find long-term solutions."
Surprised there is no thread on this

Finding people to blame isn't going to fix the problem. The kids need to be taken care of somehow, but I get the feeling that those in power are just going to keep pointing fingers at one another.

Finding people to blame isn't going to fix the problem. The kids need to be taken care of somehow, but I get the feeling that those in power are just going to keep pointing fingers at one another.
That seems to be all the powers that be in this country do anymore.

How about we start up a trade program....

For every illegal alien we encounter, we ship a violent prisoner down into the heart of Mexico. 1 for 1 trade.

Take a few big transport planes and ship them all back. It would send a quick message that coming here is not a good idea.

Every day, hundreds of children cross the border, mostly making their way from violence-stricken areas in Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. The causes for the influx are many, but a large portion are children fleeing increased drug and gang violence.
They sound like refugees to me... At least partially American-made too... after all, who's buying all those drugs?

Feed them, shelter them, take them in. Have we forgotten whats written on the Statue of Liberty? Have we forgotten who we are as a nation?

Seriously, the United States of America is the greatest nation in the history of the world. Here's our chance to prove it once again. Not one of these poor children should be sent back.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/17/perry-we-dont-have-the-resources-to-secure-the-texas-border/

Perry: ‘We Don’t Have The Resources’ To Secure The Texas BorderHOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – Governor Rick Perry, R-Tex., said that the Lone Star State is being flooded with “record high numbers” of people from terrorist-linked countries, and that Texas simply doesn’t have the resources to secure the border.

Appearing on Fox News Tuesday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said that the state outright lacks the resources and the manpower to secure the 1,200-mile border shared with Mexico.
“We don’t have the resources, nor the manpower, to be able to do that for the 1,200 miles. If we did, we would.”

Perry warned: “We have record high numbers of other than Mexicans being apprehended at the border. these are people that are coming from states like Syria that have substantial connections back to terrorist regimes and terrorist operations. So we’re seeing record, historic high numbers of these individuals being apprehended.”

Perry noted that he warned the Obama administration about the current border crisis in 2012, but is still waiting for a response from the federal government.

“We flagged this issue in 2012 and have yet to even have a response as far as I know, from not just, not from the president, but not even from his administration,” said Perry. “[Obama] is totally and absolutely either inept or making some decisions that are not in the best interest of American citizens, particularly from a public safety standpoint.”

“We’ve been sounding that alarm and putting substantial Texas dollars into it,” Perry continued. “We have a request in for even more dollars going towards border security from the Texas standpoint. But it’s 1,200 miles and the idea that the State of Texas should be doing this, I get it, my citizens require me to keep them safe.”

Last edited by a moderator:
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/17/perry-we-dont-have-the-resources-to-secure-the-texas-border/

Perry: ‘We Don’t Have The Resources’ To Secure The Texas Border

HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – Governor Rick Perry, R-Tex., said that the Lone Star State is being flooded with “record high numbers” of people from terrorist-linked countries, and that Texas simply doesn’t have the resources to secure the border.

Appearing on Fox News Tuesday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said that the state outright lacks the resources and the manpower to secure the 1,200-mile border shared with Mexico.

“We don’t have the resources, nor the manpower, to be able to do that for the 1,200 miles. If we did, we would.”

Perry warned: “We have record high numbers of other than Mexicans being apprehended at the border. these are people that are coming from states like Syria that have substantial connections back to terrorist regimes and terrorist operations. So we’re seeing record, historic high numbers of these individuals being apprehended.”

Perry noted that he warned the Obama administration about the current border crisis in 2012, but is still waiting for a response from the federal government.

“We flagged this issue in 2012 and have yet to even have a response as far as I know, from not just, not from the president, but not even from his administration,” said Perry. “[Obama] is totally and absolutely either inept or making some decisions that are not in the best interest of American citizens, particularly from a public safety standpoint.”

“We’ve been sounding that alarm and putting substantial Texas dollars into it,” Perry continued. “We have a request in for even more dollars going towards border security from the Texas standpoint. But it’s 1,200 miles and the idea that the State of Texas should be doing this, I get it, my citizens require me to keep them safe.”
So now the terrorists are coming across the Mexican border? What a load of crap.

What's the problem with building a big wall?

Seems like a much cheaper way than paying a ton of police to patrol everywhere. Probably more effective too.

Perry: ‘We Don’t Have The Resources’ To Secure The Texas Border

HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – Governor Rick Perry, R-Tex., said that the Lone Star State is being flooded with “record high numbers” of people from terrorist-linked countries, and that Texas simply doesn’t have the resources to secure the border.

What an ###-clown

Seems like a much cheaper way than paying a ton of police to patrol everywhere. Probably more effective too.
Because that's not what we're about. And because it would seriously impact our trade and relations with Mexico and Latin America in general. And because it would be viewed, correctly, as racist (since there is no talk of a wall on our northern border.)

Because that's not what we're about. And because it would seriously impact our trade and relations with Mexico and Latin America in general. And because it would be viewed, correctly, as racist (since there is no talk of a wall on our northern border.)
And there goes the last bit of credibility the word "racist" had.

Maybe indentured servitude is the answer. We can feed and educate them. And have companies pay for it. Then we can compete directly with china

If you put a wall on our southern border, and not on our northern border, how can anyone NOT regard that as racially motivated?

:lol:

If you put a wall on our southern border, and not on our northern border, how can anyone NOT regard that as racially motivated?
I can regard that as not racially motivated by having wisdom.

We can't become the orphanage for Central and South America.
oh yes we can. And we should.
And put them to work?
Eventually. After they've been raised and educated.
Would you mind coming back to reality to have this discussion?
I am deadly serious. Any child that manages to get here, I don't care from where, we have a MORAL DUTY to take them in, adopt them, educate them. We have may very well have enough private charities to handle this (the Catholic Church is especially good when it comes to Latinos) but if we don't, then the taxpayer should pay for it.

To keep all of those Canadian orphans from spilling across the border?

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: Tim doubling down on the ignorance in here.
Really? I like you mr. roboto. What have I written here that in your opinion is ignorant?
I think you've got some real pie-in-the-sky thoughts on immigration.
I acknowledge that my views on this subject have never exactly been popular. ;) And these days less so than ever. But I've always held them. Immigration is what has made our country so great.

:lmao:

And put them to work?
I am deadly serious. Any child that manages to get here, I don't care from where, we have a MORAL DUTY to take them in, adopt them, educate them. We have may very well have enough private charities to handle this (the Catholic Church is especially good when it comes to Latinos) but if we don't, then the taxpayer should pay for it.
You can't buy parents.

This may not be particularly relevant, but from my time at the Texas Capitol, Henry Cuellar seems like one of the few genuinely good people there. Rick Perry, on the other hand, ....

Christo, it is my firm belief that if we faced a similar crisis on our Canadian border, nobody would be talking about a wall. The common response would be "OMG, how can we help those poor children? Tell me where I can send money to help."

And put them to work?
You can't buy parents.
There are lots of would be parents looking for children to adopt.

Christo, it is my firm belief that if we faced a similar crisis on our Canadian border, nobody would be talking about a wall. The common response would be "OMG, how can we help those poor children? Tell me where I can send money to help."
Get back to us when that happens.

And put them to work?
You can't buy parents.
There are lots of would be parents looking for children to adopt.
Contrary to popular belief there isn't a robust market for tens of thousands of half-grown kids from third world countries.

:lmao: Tim doubling down on the ignorance in here.
Really? I like you mr. roboto. What have I written here that in your opinion is ignorant?
I think you've got some real pie-in-the-sky thoughts on immigration.
I acknowledge that my views on this subject have never exactly been popular. ;) And these days less so than ever. But I've always held them. Immigration is what has made our country so great.
Immigrants who came, to find work and build part of the country, yes. And I feel for these kids. I would hope churches near these areas (as a Christian) would try to help. But we don't have a moral obligation to support and raise any kid that makes it here.

It happens all the time. Anytime there is a humanitarian crisis, either in this country or around the world, we respond. Americans have got to be the most generous people on Earth. We give untold millions to charity, and we should be proud of it.

But unfortunately whenever illegal immigration is involved, there is a blind spot, and people that are normally good and kind turn ugly. Is it racism? Some of it, though most people here aren't racist. Is it a fear that they will come and take our jobs, drown us in economic misery? I don't know. But I believe that whatever it is, it's irrational, and it's not like us. We are too great a nation to behave like this.

It happens all the time.
Canadian orphans stream across the border all the time?

It happens all the time.
Canadian orphans stream across the border all the time?
Forget how much of a literalist you are.

Users who are viewing this thread