What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Humanitarian crisis at US border (1 Viewer)

Sigh. The mockery of what I have attempted to argue here, is so predictable, but it's also so tiresome...
You get mocked because your arguments don't hold up to scrutiny. We've tried to point out the shortcomings of your "arguments" but if you're so obstinate that you can't understand the critiques there's really nothing left to do but mock you.
Yeah OK.
Good to see you have finally seen the light.

Well THIS is nice :thumbdown:

Border Patrol agents recently arrested 13 illegal immigrants disguised as U.S. Marines and riding in a fake military van, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Tuesday.

The illegal immigrants were clad in Marine uniforms when they were apprehended at the Campo Border Patrol Westbound I-8 checkpoint at 11 p.m. on March 14 near Pine Valley, Calif., border officials said. Two U.S. citizens in the van also were arrested.

After the suspicious white van was subjected to secondary inspection, it was determined that the driver of the vehicle and its front seat passenger were U.S. citizens who were attempting to smuggle 13 illegal immigrants into the United States. All of the vehicle's occupants wore U.S. Marine uniforms, reportedly emblazoned with the name "Perez."

"This effort is an example of the lengths smugglers will go to avoid detection, and the skilled and effective police work and vigilance displayed everyday by Customs and Border Protection personnel," the agency said in a written statement.

The van used in the smuggling attempt, according to California's El Centro Border Intelligence Center, was a privately owned vehicle registered out of Yucca Valley, Calif., and was bearing stolen government plates that had been defaced. The center digit -- 0 -- was altered to read as an 8. Further research through multiple government agencies determined that the plate belonged to a one-ton cargo van registered to the U.S. Marine Corps.

The military referred inquiries back to Customs and Border Protection.

The van entered into the United States via Mexicali, Mexico, and proceeded to Calexico, Calif., where the U.S. Marine uniforms were donned, according to Homeland Security Today.

The Campo Border Station was constructed in June 2008 and is located roughly 28 miles east of San Diego Sector Headquarters in rural East San Diego County. It is responsible for securing approximately 13.1 linear miles of the U.S.-Mexico border and 417 square miles of surrounding territory. An estimated 7,000 vehicles pass through its two checkpoints daily, according to its website

but it's also so tiresome...
Says the guy who posts 10,000 times a year.
What's your opinion on the children at the border Politician Spock? Do you agree with the majority here that we have no room for then and they should be sent back to Central America?
My opinion is the law should be enforced. The law can be changed, but this debate seems to be about a desire to ignore the law. I don't support ignoring the law at all, but see good arguments to change the law.

What's your opinion on the children at the border Politician Spock? Do you agree with the majority here that we have no room for then and they should be sent back to Central America?
My opinion is the law should be enforced. The law can be changed, but this debate seems to be about a desire to ignore the law. I don't support ignoring the law at all, but see good arguments to change the law.
So if, as reported, Obsma signs an executive order allowing some to stay, is that "ignoring the law"? Or changing the law?

So if, as reported, Obsma signs an executive order allowing some to stay, is that "ignoring the law"? Or changing the law?
That's Obama being a dictator.

I kind of think this whole event is really interesting. .Obama's approval ratings are already in the toilet and unlike most political issues, the majority of Americans (Dems/Republicans/etc) are pretty united on this issue that these illegals should not be allowed to stay. This issue even upsets his usually dependable African American base.He is pretty much in a lose/lose situation. If he grants some form of immunity--there is going to be a backlash against the Dems in the mid-terms. If he does nothing, the Hispanic population revolts and maybe they don't vote Republican, but they may just stay home in the next round of elections.

Denver just applied to take in a group of the illegals (and Denver has a pretty big Hispanic population) and there are a ton of people really angry and vowing to vote for Republicans in the mid-terms.

Obama will be the pariah of his own party if he does anything foolish here.

How is this even a question? The president doesn't get to change the law. That's not his job.

That's Obama being a dictator.
Fair enough. A lot of people feel that way.

I kind of think this whole event is really interesting. .Obama's approval ratings are already in the toilet and unlike most political issues, the majority of Americans (Dems/Republicans/etc) are pretty united on this issue that these illegals should not be allowed to stay. This issue even upsets his usually dependable African American base.He is pretty much in a lose/lose situation. If he grants some form of immunity--there is going to be a backlash against the Dems in the mid-terms. If he does nothing, the Hispanic population revolts and maybe they don't vote Republican, but they may just stay home in the next round of elections.

Denver just applied to take in a group of the illegals (and Denver has a pretty big Hispanic population) and there are a ton of people really angry and vowing to vote for Republicans in the mid-terms.

Obama will be the pariah of his own party if he does anything foolish here.
But on the other hand if he thinks it's the right thing to do...

Honestly, putting aside my personal feelings on this issue, I've never been exactly sure how far Presidents are or should be allowed to go with executive orders.

Honestly, putting aside my personal feelings on this issue, I've never been exactly sure how far Presidents are or should be allowed to go with executive orders.
They should be allowed to issue them to their heart's content as long as they are within their power as it's either provided by their Constitutional powers or the authorizing statute.

Massachusetts will not host unaccompanied children who illegally crossed the southern border after all, Gov. Deval Patrick announced today.

“I have been deeply moved by the outpouring of support we have seen from across the Commonwealth, as over 1,600 of our neighbors reached out to express their support for children who are alone and thousands of miles from home,” Patrick said in a statement. “Once again the people of Massachusetts have displayed great generosity and compassion. It appears that there is not a need for Massachusetts to serve these children at this time, but I am proud of our willingness to do so.”

The federal government plans to close a temporary shelter for the unaccompanied children at Fort Sill because fewer of them are now crossing the border, said Patrick’s spokeswoman, Jesse Mermell.

As a result, the feds no longer need to use Bay State facilities that Patrick had offered, including Westover Air Reserve Base and Joint Base Cape Cod (Camp Edwards), Mermell said.

“Should the need for additional temporary shelter space arise in the future, the Patrick Administration stands ready to continue conversations with the federal government about how the Commonwealth may assist these children,” said Mermell.

My question is ....why are we not offering these shelters to our own homeless war veterans?

They should be allowed to issue them to their heart's content as long as they are within their power as it's either provided by their Constitutional powers or the authorizing statute.
Who decides this though? Does it have to go to the SC if there is a dispute?

Me

Massachusetts will not host unaccompanied children who illegally crossed the southern border after all, Gov. Deval Patrick announced today.

I have been deeply moved by the outpouring of support we have seen from across the Commonwealth, as over 1,600 of our neighbors reached out to express their support for children who are alone and thousands of miles from home, Patrick said in a statement. Once again the people of Massachusetts have displayed great generosity and compassion. It appears that there is not a need for Massachusetts to serve these children at this time, but I am proud of our willingness to do so.

The federal government plans to close a temporary shelter for the unaccompanied children at Fort Sill because fewer of them are now crossing the border, said Patricks spokeswoman, Jesse Mermell.

As a result, the feds no longer need to use Bay State facilities that Patrick had offered, including Westover Air Reserve Base and Joint Base Cape Cod (Camp Edwards), Mermell said.

Should the need for additional temporary shelter space arise in the future, the Patrick Administration stands ready to continue conversations with the federal government about how the Commonwealth may assist these children, said Mermell.

My question is ....why are we not offering these shelters to our own homeless war veterans?
view the problem cynically and it won't take you very long to find the right answer.

Not you.

Not you.
Apparently Christo does.

Gary Coal Man said:
timschochet said:
Hot Diggity Dog said:
jonessed said:
Christo said:
Illinois' Senior Senator called these kids "an amazing pool of talent" today. Sure, thing, ****. :lmao:
You would think they would be more concerned with their urban killing fields.
No the community they are from votes democratic reliable at a 90 plus percentage rate. #### them and their problems.
Yeah #### the little children. Great attitude.
1. It's pretty obvious that Dog wasn't talking about "the little children" at the border, but instead was sarcastically saying what the Senator may be thinking: #### the black people in the "urban killing fields" because they'll vote Democrat anyway.2. Pull your head out of your ### and stop falling for propaganda if you think the border crisis is almost exclusively little children.

Sure you may have misconstrued Dog and mistakes do happen, but at least you still got your sanctimony in.
Thank you.And importing a pool of talent further neglects the pool of talent we have here. The huge unemployment problems in the African American community could be helped if we shut down the border and created a higher demand for labor in trades and jobs where you can be trained on the job, thus giving poor African Americans a chance to earn a living while learning a skill that some of them would use to start businesses, move up the socioeconomic ladder etc. But hey what do I know? I'm not a senator.
Strongly disagree with this assertion. When you limit immigration in order to "protect" jobs already here, it's no different from attempting to limit free trade in order to protect jobs already here. In both cases, you're effectively taxing the consumer, and creating a black market and corruption. Open immigration is an essential element of capitalism. Without it, you're imposing a statist society.
I think you are misunderstanding what protectionism is. I'm not talking about protecting jobs here by tariffs and such I'm talking about filling the jobs we have, must of which have to be done here in America, with members of our own population that currently suffer higher rates of unemployment. As a generalization let's say poor inner city people and the rural poor. Tied in with some smart welfare reform we could actually try and help our fellow citizens rather than exploit the central American poor. And open immigration is not essential to capitalism, that is just a goofy statement. Are you referring to a expanding labor pool? That statement makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread