What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Backup Catchers of Yore Thread (1 Viewer)

I heard Ron Hassey get a brutal heckling when I was a kid. Some guy yelling that he knew where Hassey would be tomorrow, right where he was right now (e.g. in the bullpen warming up the starting pitcher). I legitimately felt bad for the guy, even though he had a goofy ritual at the plate.

I heard Ron Hassey get a brutal heckling when I was a kid. Some guy yelling that he knew where Hassey would be tomorrow, right where he was right now (e.g. in the bullpen warming up the starting pitcher). I legitimately felt bad for the guy, even though he had a goofy ritual at the plate.
Guys like Hassey looked ridiculous in white shoes and yellow socks.

I heard Ron Hassey get a brutal heckling when I was a kid. Some guy yelling that he knew where Hassey would be tomorrow, right where he was right now (e.g. in the bullpen warming up the starting pitcher).
I always feel bad for the back-up catcher during those times when the inning ends with the starting catcher on the basepaths, and the back-up has to come out and warm-up the pitcher while the starter gets his gear on, and when the starter returns he gives the back-up a look like "get out of my seat".

Guys like Hassey looked ridiculous in white shoes and yellow socks.
Every other catcher wishes he could do what Hassey is the only player ever to do -- catch two perfect games.

Roger LaFrancois ... I challenge anyone to find a position player who was on an active roster for an entire season and only had 10 PA (or fewer).
That's a very interesting statistic. LaFrancois did a lot of sitting around. In looking at the roster it seems odd that he was even on the team. Allenson and Gedman looked to be in a platoon, so there wasn't any need for him to give a breather. And with the aged Yaz and Tony Perez having little defensive value, it would have made more sense to have another outfielder.

Roger LaFrancois ... I challenge anyone to find a position player who was on an active roster for an entire season and only had 10 PA (or fewer).
That's a very interesting statistic. LaFrancois did a lot of sitting around. In looking at the roster it seems odd that he was even on the team. Allenson and Gedman looked to be in a platoon, so there wasn't any need for him to give a breather. And with the aged Yaz and Tony Perez having little defensive value, it would have made more sense to have another outfielder.
It was pretty common for MLB teams to carry three catchers on the 25-man roster before situational relief pitching became a thing. If a team could get away with a a third catcher who could also play 3B or RF, like Keith "Real Estate" Moreland, that player was an asset pretty much freeing up another roster spot.

Larry Haney.

In 1973 with the Cardinals, he was second on the team in appearances behind the plate..... with two.

Ted Simmons caught an unthinkable 161 games that season.

Users who are viewing this thread