What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Baseball League : I don't know what I'm doing (1 Viewer)

Tonycarpenter

Footballguy
I've been drafting top prospects in my dynasty baseball league. I admit I don't konw what I"m doing. I don't know what metrics to really follow etc. I don't pay close enough attention.
I use Yahoo Start my Active Players each monday. I might check on them here and there. I try to have backup players or multi-position players to fill holes and injuries.

C, 1, 2, 3, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL.
SP SP RP RP P P P P P P
31 total players on my roster
2 = NA
2 = IL
At the end of the season before next season we can only keep 14 players.
12 teams
So I try to have 14 players rank in the top 100 with a solid one ever 10 players or so.
I kept 4 pitchers.

THen these guys go and get hurt or whatever seems like someone's always on the IL.

C- Wlm Contreras, A-Kirk,
1st- Goldschmidt, JTurner Bos, I Parades TB, A Kiriloff Min, N Jones, T Casas BOS,
2nd Jazz Chisholm, JAltuve, WMerrifield, VGrissom,
3rd E De La Cruz CIN, A Bohm PHI, GHenderson BAL,
SS Wander Franco, J Lawlar
OF Corbin Carroll, LNootbar, YAlvarez,
UTIL: J martinez LAD,

SP: ZWheeler, LCastillo,
RP SSTrider, W Peralta,
P Flaherty, Josiah Gray, MKeller, A Kobb
IL Trevor Rodgers, Jacob deGrom

With injuries I don't always konw which players are holding value or not.
I guess my question is there anyone on the roster that I should prioritize moving mid season?
Are there any players to consider BUYING right now that might be steady?
Any 2 for 1st to consolidate upper level talent?
Is this a Win Now...second half of season move or Long Term Build move?
Any advice is appreciated. Cheers

What type of league (roto, h2h, pts, etc)? Kind of hard to evaluate as it will differ depending on league typeI
YAHOO. Each Week I go H2H with another where we try to out perform in various stat categories. There are like 21-22 categories
Settings include;
Must pitch 20 inning per week min or you get zeroed out for all pitching stats.

I was in 3rd place 2 weeks ago in my division. got my butt kicked twice losing 5-16 or 4-19 something like that... now I'm 26 games back in my same division. Impressive turn. Which, also means I can make up ground quickly if I'm doing well.

These are the main categories.
Roster Positions:C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL, NA, NA, NA
Batters Stat Categories:Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Caught Stealing (CS), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Total Bases (TB), Errors (E), Fielding Percentage (FPCT), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Extra Base Hits (XBH), Double Plays Turned (DPT)
Pitchers Stat Categories:Earned Runs (ER), Home Runs (HR), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS), Saves + Holds (SV+H)

I get that having a guy who steals bases can be helpful for a stat. OR certain positions don't usually carry a lot of power at the plate. So having a C or 2B that hits can be a benefit or something.
I hear stuff like exit velocity is down from 93.2mph to 91.7mph so...this guy is in a slump and I'm like...too much data. Maybe he's facing different pitchers. Maybe he's slumping, Maybe he's not breathing through his eyelids like Nuke Laloosh on Bull Durham.

I do OK in Dynasty Football. But you plan for 17 weeks 1 game/week. Baseball is a pretty long season with lots of anthill like activity and moving parts. Perhaps in this way, knowing the effort I might put in. Having PLUG 'EM IN guys that I leave alone is the way to go vs having a streaky guy that where I might favor matchups. OR should I be targeting players with multiple games per week (pitcher or hitters with more at bats... that only works when they're not on IL or given the F_ing day off by the coach. That part I don't get... So and So given a rest today. It's baseball. Rest from what. Running out to 3rd base and back?) Just my opinion on rest.

YAHOO. Each Week I go H2H with another where we try to out perform in various stat categories. There are like 21-22 categories
Do you set your lineup for the week or can you change it up daily?

I was in 3rd place 2 weeks ago in my division. got my butt kicked twice losing 5-16 or 4-19 something like that... now I'm 26 games back in my same division. Impressive turn. Which, also means I can make up ground quickly if I'm doing well.
It's much easier to tumble down the standings than make up ground. Seems like it should be just as easy but for some reason it is not. Gaining ground in a season long format is very difficult.

Batters Stat Categories:Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Caught Stealing (CS), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Total Bases (TB), Errors (E), Fielding Percentage (FPCT), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Extra Base Hits (XBH), Double Plays Turned (DPT)
HR's are king. They help you in eight categories with just one hit. Find HR hitters. Steals are fine but they don't give you as much bang for the buck as they only help in one category (other than getting on base but all players help in that) and they hurt you in one category. If you have a guy that never attempts a steal he can't get thrown out. By default if you have a lineup full of non-base stealers you should win the CS category every week with zero.

Pitchers Stat Categories:Earned Runs (ER), Home Runs (HR), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS), Saves + Holds (SV+H)
Pitching isn't as critical as there are only 7 categories compared to 15 hitting categories. Hitting should be your focus. I would stock RP's as they will help you in five of the seven pitching categories (ER, HR, ERA, WHIP, SV+H). You just have to make sure you hit the min 20 IP a week so you don't get zeros. Focus on 2 or 3 premier starters that will get you 12-18 IP's a week and then fire RP's in all your P spots to try and get the other 5-8 IP you need for the week. If you have daily lineups this should be fairly easy. That will win you 5 of the 7 pitching categories as a baseline.

Do you set your lineup for the week or can you change it up daily?

It's much easier to tumble down the standings than make up ground. Seems like it should be just as easy but for some reason it is not. Gaining ground in a season long format is very difficult.

HR's are king. They help you in eight categories with just one hit. Find HR hitters. Steals are fine but they don't give you as much bang for the buck as they only help in one category (other than getting on base but all players help in that) and they hurt you in one category. If you have a guy that never attempts a steal he can't get thrown out. By default if you have a lineup full of non-base stealers you should win the CS category every week with zero.

Pitching isn't as critical as there are only 7 categories compared to 15 hitting categories. Hitting should be your focus. I would stock RP's as they will help you in five of the seven pitching categories (ER, HR, ERA, WHIP, SV+H). You just have to make sure you hit the min 20 IP a week so you don't get zeros. Focus on 2 or 3 premier starters that will get you 12-18 IP's a week and then fire RP's in all your P spots to try and get the other 5-8 IP you need for the week. If you have daily lineups this should be fairly easy. That will win you 5 of the 7 pitching categories as a baseline.
U can change lineup daily but i hit start active players as I'm not always remembering to set it in time.

Current pitchers
SStrider
LCastillo
ZWheeler
MKeller
MKopech
DDunning
JFlaherty
ACobb
BWoo
DKremer

If you could only keep two, which two?
Strider, Castillo? Should i trade try to Wheeler, Flaherty for hitter?

Overall Rank, player position
Figure I'll try to keep 12. Hitters, 2 pitchers. 14 total including NA players.

YAlvarez OF
CCarroll OF
Jazz Chisholm 2B OF
PGoldschmidt 1B
JAltuve 2B
GHenderson 3B,SS
Elly DLC 3B,SS
Wander Franco SS
JLawlar SS
FranAlvarez C
WmContreras C DH
AKirk C DH
J Caminero 2B
V Grissom 2B SS
JLawlar SS
Evan Carter OF
ABohm 1B 3B
JD Martinez DH
Lars Nootbar OF
JTurner 1B 3B
Whit Merrifield

If you could bundle a pitcher and hitter
For better top 14 player. Target a Top 100 player. Who would you sell. Franco value sliding. Lars below cutoff. I guess who is at near peak value that i could potentially upgrade.

Owner of Adley didn't want older players for younger. Like altuve, Goldschmidt.

It would appear i have decent talent. Just hasn't come together. Part me, part injury, part fantasy luck.

Currently in 7th. 32 games back from winning my division. Top 6 teams make it. I'm in the hunt but would rather have 14 great young players to build around than try to be above average

Current pitchers
SStrider
LCastillo
ZWheeler
MKeller
MKopech
DDunning
JFlaherty
ACobb
BWoo
DKremer

If you could only keep two, which two?
Strider, Castillo? Should i trade try to Wheeler, Flaherty for hitter?
Strider is an easy #1 keeper. After that It gets tough. I would lean Castillo but Kopech is really close because of his age. He just hasn't quite put it together to be consistent but his stuff is crazy good.

I would trade almost any of the other guys for a hitting improvement.

Figure I'll try to keep 12. Hitters, 2 pitchers. 14 total including NA players.
Why that ratio? Is that due to the majority of the other teams doing the same or are pitchers just really devalued?
Pitchers are typically devalued in general aren't they? A top starting pitcher plays 1x maybe 2x per week. Even great pitchers can have a bad day or a good day with no run support. There are more hitting stats. It seems if focus on acquiring HRs I can win 7 hitting stats. And with good pitching when a few of the 5. or whatever. It also seems that in other threads or places I've read "if you're keeping more than 2 pitchers you're doing it wrong" and looking at the success of other teams that kind of holds true. If I have 4 great starting pitchers I'd probably keep them if they're ranked in the top 100. Assuming that 14 teams keeping 14 players puts Round 1 of the FA draftable players to about 196 or lower with some veterans possibly ranked higher. The catch would be: Is the Hitting player I'd have to DROP to keep PITCHER more vital to his position based on other Keepers etc. I'd get rid of Altuve and Goldschmidt if I didn't need them for HRs. Jazz stays hurt and Casas, A Bohm, I parades, not filling in as well for 1B spot.

Users who are viewing this thread