What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things that impact lineup decisions (1 Viewer)

Bayhawks

Footballguy
I know the standard response is "start the guys who you think will score the most.". But, let's be honest, no one is 100% sure who will score more on any given week. So when you have 2 guys who you think will score similar points, what other things factor into your decision? And which factors arr mor important?

1-RB/WR; if it's a flex position, does a RB or WR get the nod? Why?

2-Game time; if me guy plays on TNF, SNF, or MNF, does that factor into the decision? How much?

3-Playing for "your team." Do you give an edge to your hometowns guys?

Again, this is for players you have projected for similar stats. Does these things play a part in your decision? Should they? Do you let these things impact your decision, when they shouldn't? I thought this would be an interesting discussion.

I go with my gut. :shrug:

I know it sounds like a cop out, but it really isn't. Your decision making "gut," is really nothing but another name for the subconscious mind, which uses all its experience and its ability to take in pieces of information passively that you may not consciously consider and process, and evaluate them in ways you can't rationalize.

I figure after fifty-odd years of watching this game, my gut is probably a better judge of this game than I am most of the time. It's got millions of hidden datapoints and heuristics by now. I'm lucky if I use my thinkin' brain to do much more than look at the weekly rankings. Using that huge subconscious database of experience is probably a much better use of info than I could muster trying to rely on this or that metric. :shrug:

If my gut doesn't speak its mind, and every rational thought I possess tells me it's more or less a tossup, I'll usually just pick the guy I'd rather watch or root for. May as well get at least some enjoyment out of this hobby every week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed with the gut as the first tie break. If that doesn't work I use 1) who plays against the worst defense, 2) who plays Sunday/Monday night.

Bayhawks said:
I know the standard response is "start the guys who you think will score the most.". But, let's be honest, no one is 100% sure who will score more on any given week. So when you have 2 guys who you think will score similar points, what other things factor into your decision? And which factors arr mor important?

1-RB/WR; if it's a flex position, does a RB or WR get the nod? Why?

Depends on standard scoring vs ppr. But geberally speaking a feature 3 down back always gets the nod over a WR in the flex spot unless the wr is a Bonafide stud.

2-Game time; if me guy plays on TNF, SNF, or MNF, does that factor into the decision? How much? All things being equal Id rather sit the Thursday night player. Short week, more unpredictable

3-Playing for "your team." Do you give an edge to your hometowns guys? If it's equal Id rather play guys from home team.

Again, this is for players you have projected for similar stats. Does these things play a part in your decision? Should they? Do you let these things impact your decision, when they shouldn't? I thought this would be an interesting discussion.
Serious answers above. ;)

Additionally I consider matchups, and I try to stick with trends until they prove me wrong. A good example is Brian quick. He started off the season hot so I slid him into my wr3 spot and left him there until he burned me vs SF. Then I made a change.

Appreciate the serious responses.

I ask because I often find myself starting a guy b/c he plays on SNF/MNF (not so much on TNF) when they are close to their possible replacement. I find myself wondering if this is a mistake. Do I let the prime-time game become too much of a factor in the decision?

I also tend to favor RBs over WRs in the flex spot. That being said, it's rare that I'm considering a stud WR vs a 3-down RB for my flex spot. It's usually a guy who is part of a RBBC versus a FF WR2 or WR3. I'm not going to have much of a decision of L Bell vs Dez Bryant for my flex. It's more like Vereen vs Pierre Garcon.

With regards to "my team," I love being able to cheer for my team without saying "please win, but don't let the QB throw for more than 1 TD." Does this cause me to make bad lineup choices?

These are the things I think about as I agonize over my lineup decisions leading up to Sunday.

I'll admit that I am swayed by the time of the games sometimes. If I have a 50/50 decision I'm more inclined to start the player with the later game, because it feels like I can run over the top of my opponent if I have more players to come. It's the reverse of having all your players on early and feeling helpless as your opponent cuts into your big lead with later players. It's a stupid psychological thing. For the same reason, if I'm streaming a DB or kicker, I'd rather pick up a guy playing later. Not always, but it's something I look at.

RB 2/3 over WR 3 for flex usually. Vets get the benefit of the doubt and draft position matters until about 3-5 weeks in. Then it's all bets off. Hot hand.

Users who are viewing this thread