What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nick Greisen (1 Viewer)

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
IMO, the Jags need to wise-up and along Daryl Smith to play on the pursuit side.

Jaguars | Team agrees to terms with Greisen

Fri, 28 Apr 2006 05:58:10 -0700

Bart Hubbuch, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars have agreed to terms with free agent LB Nick Greisen (Giants) on an undisclosed contract. Greisen said he was told he will be the leading candidate to replace LB Akin Ayodele at weakside linebacker unless the Jaguars use the 28th overall pick in the NFL Draft on a player at that position.

Pretty much the same thing.

Jaguars agreed to terms on a two-year co... Published Fri Apr 28 11:26:00 a.m. ET 2006

(Rotoworld) Jaguars agreed to terms on a two-year contract with LB Nick Greisen.

Impact: Greisen fills a big hole in Jacksonville and becomes the early favorite to start at weak-side linebacker. Griesen is versatile, big, and did a fine job in 12 starts last season. At worst, he's a good swing linebacker.

I thought Daryl Smith played weakside last year?

the Jags really confuse me sometimes...playing Hayward at LDE was another odd choice.

I thought Daryl Smith played weakside last year?
When I saw the note this morning, that was my first thought as well. I've been looking in the usual places and haven't been able to confirm anything.NFL Gamebooks list Smith and Ayodele as OLBs, with Smith on the right and Ayodele left, which would leave Smith on the weak side the majority of the time. Ayodele is a big 250lbs and Smith 235lb so that makes sense. Both made about the same number of tackles per game and I think Smith played more often in the nickel.

So it may have been a left/right thing. None of which explains the news article.

OK... D Smith owner here.... but I was under the impression that Jax played the "reverse" of the WLB/SLB format with how they classified the roles.

In a typical format, the SLB would take on the TE in a blocking situation leaving the WLB to rush or cover RB out in flat. I know this is a simple view of it, but correct me if I am wrong...

IIRC, Jax did it backwards in their titles.

More :loco: Jags LB plans...Len Pasquarelli writes in his Friday Tip Sheet

Not many teams invest first-round choices on middle linebackers, but the Jacksonville Jaguars might consider it. The Jacksonville coaches are toying with the notion of moving current middle linebacker Mike Peterson, who should have made the Pro Bowl last season, to the outside spot he played for Indianapolis during his first four seasons in the league. But to do so, the Jaguars have to find a middle linebacker. If they don't choose one in the first round, it's all but a lock they will select one in the first three stanzas. Word is the Jags like Abdul Hodge of Iowa and Maryland's D'Qwell Jackson, but it might be a reach to take either in the first round. Still, the Jaguars seem to like the idea of moving Peterson back outside, where his pursuit skills and ability to chase the ball would be a very nice fit for the Jacksonville scheme.

why don't these people realize that Daryl Smith is a MLB playing out of position? If Jacksonville wants a MLB, MOVE HIM INSIDE!

OK... D Smith owner here.... but I was under the impression that Jax played the "reverse" of the WLB/SLB format with how they classified the roles.

In a typical format, the SLB would take on the TE in a blocking situation leaving the WLB to rush or cover RB out in flat. I know this is a simple view of it, but correct me if I am wrong...

IIRC, Jax did it backwards in their titles.
I've heard about this from other teams, but not from the Jags. It really makes little sense to call the LB who lines up on the TE side ("strong side") of the formation the weakside linebacker though.

why don't these people realize that Daryl Smith is a MLB playing out of position? If Jacksonville wants a MLB, MOVE HIM INSIDE!
I was thinking the same thing as I read the post above yours...sorry if anyone doesn't like my sig :rolleyes:

Sent out an APB for our Jacksonville expert, Dave Baker.

ETA: 3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

3 Members: Jene Bramel, Dave Baker, nshelat1

He's fast.

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Smith played weakside last year and they've already talked about his future in the middle replacing Peterson some day. Looked that future might be moved up.

Either way, I think Griesen plays on the strong side.

ETA: 3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

He's fast.

Got your message Jene. :-)

ETA:  3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

He's fast.

Got your message Jene. :-)
:thumbup: Appreciated. FWIW, I agree with you. Peterson should hold most of his value if they move him. They'd almost certainly move to a SLB/WLB alignment and Peterson will continue to be a three down player with frequent blitzes called for him.

Smith (or a rookie TBD) would see a nice bump.

Users who are viewing this thread