What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

James Jones (and general Packer training camp notes) (1 Viewer)

I like Jones' potential a lot. Ted Thompson has a good track record of finding football players at the wide receiver position. Hopefully Jones keeps it up. This could be a solid, under-rated group at WR.

If only Tory Humphrey, TE, wouldn't have broken his leg. That one stings...

Great stuff guys....I just picked him up in the 4th round of our rookie draft...1 million for 4 years...sweet!

Fanball blurb:

Our View

There is even some speculation that Jones could challenge Greg Jennings for the No. 2 spot on the depth chart, but it seems rather premature to be thinking that way after only four practices.

Fanball blurb:

Our View

There is even some speculation that Jones could challenge Greg Jennings for the No. 2 spot on the depth chart, but it seems rather premature to be thinking that way after only four practices.
That speculation has indeed started. The next step is how he looks in game situations, not to mention how/if he maintains the level he's at. I'm trying not to get too excited. The Packers still don't have a viable deep threat, without which, defenses will no doubt squeeze down with their safeties on all the smash and slant routes that the Packers will be running.

Fanball blurb:

Our View

That speculation has indeed started. The next step is how he looks in game situations, not to mention how/if he maintains the level he's at. I'm trying not to get too excited. The Packers still don't have a viable deep threat, without which, defenses will no doubt squeeze down with their safeties on all the smash and slant routes that the Packers will be running.
Unless Jennings is injured, this will not happen. If you read the articles, it's clear that Jennings was viewed as a special player in last year's camp. By contrast, Jones is simply surprising his coaches and teammates - because he's ahead of the typical 3rd rd pick. Very different situations.Jennings will start this year and do well.

Fanball blurb:

Our View

Unless Jennings is injured, this will not happen. If you read the articles, it's clear that Jennings was viewed as a special player in last year's camp. By contrast, Jones is simply surprising his coaches and teammates - because he's ahead of the typical 3rd rd pick. Very different situations.Jennings will start this year and do well.
Agreed, although we've heard nothing yet about how Jennings is doing coming back from his injury. He's practicing, but there's been zero noise on him, positive or negative. Just something to keep an eye on.

Michael J Fox said:
Aaronstory said:
Chaos Commish said:
Fanball blurb:

Our View

His performance in NOT in reference to being a 3rd round pick. They say he is doing as good as Jennnigs did last year, period. BUT they feel Jennings was farther ahead on understanding the system at this point. Getting off the line is the true test. He has the size but we'll have to wait and see.One thing you can count on. He's either #2 or #3 and probably #1 in the red zone. He's the only large target Favre has (Driver and Jennings are small) and with no TE he could catch a lot of TDs which will subtract from Driver and Jennings TD numbers. On the other hand you could add 5 to 7 TDs to Favre's numbers IMO.

Michael J Fox said:
Aaronstory said:
Chaos Commish said:
Fanball blurb:

Our View

His performance in NOT in reference to being a 3rd round pick. They say he is doing as good as Jennnigs did last year, period. BUT they feel Jennings was farther ahead on understanding the system at this point. Getting off the line is the true test. He has the size but we'll have to wait and see.One thing you can count on. He's either #2 or #3 and probably #1 in the red zone. He's the only large target Favre has (Driver and Jennings are small) and with no TE he could catch a lot of TDs which will subtract from Driver and Jennings TD numbers. On the other hand you could add 5 to 7 TDs to Favre's numbers IMO.
Donald Driver is about 6' and was a well respected high jumper. I don't think him being 'small' hurts him anywhere on the field. Just my two cents.

Michael J Fox said:
Aaronstory said:
Chaos Commish said:
Fanball blurb:

Our View

Sorry, but you're flat out wrong. While the writer said that Jones has been an impressive rookie so far - much like Jennings was last year - there was no implication that Jones is as good as Jennings. To imply otherwise simply isn't accurate.And Jones won't be close to #1 in the red zone. He's a rookie. He'll be lucky to be WR3.

I hope I'm wrong - it would be awesome to see another talented WR to pair with Driver and Jennings. Early results look good - but it's very early still.

Michael J Fox said:
Aaronstory said:
Chaos Commish said:
Fanball blurb:

Our View

Sorry, but you're flat out wrong. While the writer said that Jones has been an impressive rookie so far - much like Jennings was last year - there was no implication that Jones is as good as Jennings. To imply otherwise simply isn't accurate.And Jones won't be close to #1 in the red zone. He's a rookie. He'll be lucky to be WR3.

I hope I'm wrong - it would be awesome to see another talented WR to pair with Driver and Jennings. Early results look good - but it's very early still.
My comments came from this article:Jones Turning Heads

"It's crazy, I'm only in my second year, and he kind of reminds me of myself," Jennings said Tuesday. "He's doing everything that people don't expect a rookie to do."

"While Jones' ability to pluck the ball out of midair has gotten everyone's attention, coach Mike McCarthy cautioned that, unlike Jennings, who picked up the offense almost instantly, Jones "is thinking (a lot) right now. You can see when he breaks the huddle, he's thinking about the formation, he's thinking about the play."

Or, as Robinson put it, "Things came easy to Greg. I don't think they necessarily come as easy to James, in terms of the scheme. But he's handling it pretty well to this point.''"

AND this one

Jones takes advantage

Though the 6-foot-1 Jones differs physically from the smaller Greg Jennings (5-11), he's similar in that from the outset Jones has run precise routes and has caught the ball with ease. That was noticeable with Jennings in camp last year, and he parlayed that into a strong rookie season.

Early indications are that Jones could do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Favre as QB1 pick with the 13th round pick :thumbup:
I would if my three remaining leagues weren't all so harsh with interception stat (-3 in 2 and -4 in 1).
If the receivers are catching the balls thrown to them, the INTs will go down.Sure, Favre will still throw a couple down the field in double coverage once in a while, but with the reports of Jones catching everything. Driver's surehanded for the most part. Jennings looks like he is and early indications are that he's beating the DBs on a reg basis so far in camp. Also, there is talk that Ruvell Martin has come to camp ready to prove himself as well.I can't tell you how many games I've watched where the receiver didn't make the play and let the defender get the pick (Ferguson).Also, if Favre and his WRs are on the same page then they'll be where he's throwing the ball. More often than not there's a miscommunication (I don't know if it was on Favre's part or the WR) and the receiver turns the wrong way and pick city.Hijack over!

I watched the video and he does look good. However, I can't say that I was blown away by this hilite reel. With Driver starting to a bit up there in age, he looks like a nice player to add in a dynasty league. I don't expect him to be more than a WR3 for Green Bay this year. We'll see.

I watched the video and he does look good. However, I can't say that I was blown away by this hilite reel. With Driver starting to a bit up there in age, he looks like a nice player to add in a dynasty league. I don't expect him to be more than a WR3 for Green Bay this year. We'll see.
From watching the highlights I have to say.... there is very little chance he gets away with those push-offs in the endzone in the NFL. :goodposting:

While I think James Jones could be good. You have to remember, he played for the San Jose State Spartans. It's not hard to dominate against the swiss cheese WAC conference defenses. Timmy Chang of the Hamilton Tiger Cats (CFL), tore up the WAC for an NCAA record.

Lets see how well he does against NFL caliber corners before we crown him.

Jones is a guy with average speed, average size, average quickness, he looks alright I guess in his video clips, albeit against less then steller competition, I just dont like his technique when fighting for balls his open field running looks pretty good despite the fact that he looks slow. Im not a big fan of him, I guess he is a good value in the 5th round of a rookie draft but I dont think Id draft him much sooner. He's a career backup if Ive ever seen one.

While I think James Jones could be good. You have to remember, he played for the San Jose State Spartans. It's not hard to dominate against the swiss cheese WAC conference defenses. Timmy Chang of the Hamilton Tiger Cats (CFL), tore up the WAC for an NCAA record.Lets see how well he does against NFL caliber corners before we crown him.
The guy he practiced against every day is Dwight Lowry who was an All-american cornerback.The conference he played in included Boise State. You know the school that beat the "tough" Big 12 powerhouse Oklahoma Sooners.

While I think James Jones could be good. You have to remember, he played for the San Jose State Spartans. It's not hard to dominate against the swiss cheese WAC conference defenses. Timmy Chang of the Hamilton Tiger Cats (CFL), tore up the WAC for an NCAA record.Lets see how well he does against NFL caliber corners before we crown him.
The guy he practiced against every day is Dwight Lowry who was an All-american cornerback.The conference he played in included Boise State. You know the school that beat the "tough" Big 12 powerhouse Oklahoma Sooners.
Right. Bringing up his competition is a canard. He was as good or better than Jarrett and Smith against Washington and Stanford. Stanford had a pretty highly rated pass defense last year. Jones was double and triple covered against Boise. They couldn't stop the guy. He overpowers corners. The strength of his game is the way he goes after the ball, Norris. It's even in one of the current articles. If the ball is in the air, it is his. If he doesn't get it, neither does anyone else. I guess you read this error at NFL.com. By far the strength of his game is going and getting the ball. I was blown away by this ability last year and it is the primary reason I was saying I thought he translated well back in November. He didn't time well, but he explodes past people with great quicks. Field speed and track speed do not always match, This is such a case. He is a dangerous rac receiver. NFL.com uses canned criticisms for these guys from lesser school who get little air time because they probably don't see them play. The scouting report is flawed on this guy. He goes after the ball with tenacity and great hands. I'm crowning him as a nice pick in a rookie draft for a dynasty league. If you want to wait and see how he does, you will never own him. You cannot wait and see how rookies do in dynasty leagues. In a redraft, he belongs on the waiver wire unless it's a huge league with deep rosters. This kid is going to be good though.Driver is from Alcorn State.Steve Smith went to Utah.Colston is from Hofstra.Certainly the top talent is recruited by the major schools, but it isn't that unusual for a receiver to emerge from lesser schools.

I'm crowning him as a nice pick in a rookie draft for a dynasty league.
This guy is getting hyped way too much to be a nice pick.
I guess that depends on where you get him. There's a bunch of very high quality rookie receivers. Some are going to hit bigger than Jones, some aren't. I picked him up after Clowney, Allison, Robinson, Williams and Higgins were all drafted. I doubt you can do that now. But we're talking rookie draft in a dynasty. If you get a long term starter @ wr in the 3rd round or later, that's a nice pick.

I guess that depends on where you get him. There's a bunch of very high quality rookie receivers. Some are going to hit bigger than Jones, some aren't. I picked him up after Clowney, Allison, Robinson, Williams and Higgins were all drafted. I doubt you can do that now. But we're talking rookie draft in a dynasty. If you get a long term starter @ wr in the 3rd round or later, that's a nice pick.
I picked him off the WW in 4 dynasy leagues (12 team leagues, 4 rd draft) after our rookie draft, and selected him at 3.10 in a 5th (14 team league, 3 rd draft). :hangover: Of course all 4 of the drafts where I got him off the WW were drafts held in the spring.

I picked him off the WW in 4 dynasy leagues (12 team leagues, 4 rd draft) after our rookie draft, and selected him at 3.10 in a 5th (14 team league, 3 rd draft). :shrug: Of course all 4 of the drafts where I got him off the WW were drafts held in the spring.
Nice. :shrug:

Michael J Fox said:
Aaronstory said:
Chaos Commish said:
Fanball blurb:

Our View

My comments came from this article:Jones Turning Heads

"It's crazy, I'm only in my second year, and he kind of reminds me of myself," Jennings said Tuesday. "He's doing everything that people don't expect a rookie to do."

"While Jones' ability to pluck the ball out of midair has gotten everyone's attention, coach Mike McCarthy cautioned that, unlike Jennings, who picked up the offense almost instantly, Jones "is thinking (a lot) right now. You can see when he breaks the huddle, he's thinking about the formation, he's thinking about the play."

Or, as Robinson put it, "Things came easy to Greg. I don't think they necessarily come as easy to James, in terms of the scheme. But he's handling it pretty well to this point.''"

AND this one

Jones takes advantage

Though the 6-foot-1 Jones differs physically from the smaller Greg Jennings (5-11), he's similar in that from the outset Jones has run precise routes and has caught the ball with ease. That was noticeable with Jennings in camp last year, and he parlayed that into a strong rookie season.

Early indications are that Jones could do the same.
To reiterate: I like Jones and hope he does well. The Jennings quote ("he kinda reminds me of myself") isn't quite the same as saying "man, he's as good as I was". It's a nice gesture, and it shows that Jennings thinks highly of Jones.

The quotes from McCarthy and Robinson clearly differentiate between Jennings and Jones. ("Things came easy to Greg. I don't think they necessarily come as easy to James", "Jones is thinking a lot now" - whereas Jennings picked up the scheme instantly)

The only true comparison of the players comes from the sports writer - who likely knows nothing.

From the 1st article you referenced:

"From what I've seen, he's got real good hands. But this is camp," Woodson said. "It was kind of different with Jennings last year, there was just something with him that everybody could just kind of see. Jones, he catches some good balls, but I've got to see him in the game."

Added Harris: "I wouldn't quite say he's like Jennings was, because Jennings, he really caught on really fast. He was real smooth in his routes. James works hard, and he's got very strong hands. He caught a slant on me the other day where he ran a good route. He just needs to do that more often — sell his routes better, be crisper. But he catches the ball very, very well. I haven't seen him drop a pass."

Sounds like Jones is doing very well, but he's not close to where Jennings was last year. If you go back to articles from 2006 pre-season, Jimmy Robinson was comparing Jennings to Marvin Harrison, in terms of route-running and how polished he was. NOBODY on the team is comparing Jones to Marvin Harrison yet. Once his teammates do that, I'll listen up. Until then, as a Packer fan I'm excited that we have a talented young WR. Hopefully he takes the #3 spot away from the other scrubs we have. If he can't beat out Robert Ferguson, well, then he can't be very good, cause Ferguson is bloody awful.

People who draft Jones expecting him to start before 2009 will probably be disappointed. The only way that happens is if Driver or Jennings gets hurt.

James Jones = Donald Driver Insurance. Plain and simple. Jennings at best is a WR3 but most likely WR4 so if he goes down you are fine. But if you lose your WR1 in Donald Driver, you better have bought some insurance.

DenverBroncos said:
James Jones = Donald Driver Insurance. Plain and simple. Jennings at best is a WR3 but most likely WR4 so if he goes down you are fine. But if you lose your WR1 in Donald Driver, you better have bought some insurance.
If something should happen to Driver, you'll see a few WRs getting an increased role. Ruvel Martin would probably be one of them, who is quietly having himself a nice camp too.

DenverBroncos said:
:thumbup: Jennings, at best is better than Driver already. That's no lie son. He's that good.

Aaronstory said:
Michael J Fox said:
Aaronstory said:
Chaos Commish said:
Fanball blurb:

Our View

Agreed, although we've heard nothing yet about how Jennings is doing coming back from his injury. He's practicing, but there's been zero noise on him, positive or negative. Just something to keep an eye on.
Someone at the Press Gazette reads FBG :lmao: Jennings Has Star Power

DenverBroncos said:
:lmao: Jennings, at best is better than Driver already. That's no lie son. He's that good.
I wouldn't go that far. I think Driver is still better at getting off the line and being where he is supposed to be (not getting knocked off routes). If you want to get targets from Favre you better be able to be where your supposed to be and make damn sure you catch the pass and not the defender. It comes down to trust. If Favre trusts you your numbers definitely reflect it.Right now I believe the WR order is (regardless of what the roster shows:DriverJenningsJonesMartinMartin and Jones have both looked good in Red Zone corner catches.Not sure what's wrong with Driver's shoulder but its not going to go away. If for some reason he went down in the first game I pretty confident that Jennings and Jones would both finish with 1000 yards.

DenverBroncos said:
:confused: Jennings, at best is better than Driver already. That's no lie son. He's that good.
You are an idiot my friend. Driver was a top 2-7 WR last year depending on format. How is Jennings better than him? Please send me an invite to one of your fantasy leagues ASAP.

DenverBroncos said:
:confused: Jennings, at best is better than Driver already. That's no lie son. He's that good.
You are an idiot my friend. Driver was a top 2-7 WR last year depending on format. How is Jennings better than him? Please send me an invite to one of your fantasy leagues ASAP.
I definitely agree that Driver is better than Jennings, but there are more appropriate ways than this to say it.

DenverBroncos said:
:unsure: Jennings, at best is better than Driver already. That's no lie son. He's that good.
I definitely agree that Driver is better than Jennings, but there are more appropriate ways than this to say it.
But Jennings was in his rookie year and before he got injured he was better then Driver but when he came back then he had problems ( But before his injury the kid was simply outstanding ) so Jones will be #3 at best .

DenverBroncos said:
:unsure: Jennings, at best is better than Driver already. That's no lie son. He's that good.
While I don't agree that Jennings is better, where in his post did Saber say he was talking about fantasy? Perhaps he thinks Jennings has much more skill than Driver ever had and will someday be a much better player (which I can buy) I mean, Driver is not the most talented starting wideout in the league - he just outworks everyone. That's why he's been able to rise from a 7th round afterthought on draft day to a bonafide playmaker. If Jennings has half the work ethic Driver has, the sky is the limit.

Jennings still has a lot to prove, but I think it's very possible that he could be better than Driver. I still remember this article from last season where Jennings was compared to Harrison and Al Harris was quoted as saying he thought Jennings would eventually be the Packers #1 receiver..either at some point last year or this season, fwiw.

Packers: Jennings remains modestly confident

JASON WILDE 608-252-6176

jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY - Coach Mike McCarthy's never seen anything like it. Jimmy Robinson's as surprised as anyone. And Al Harris, never one to praise a wide receiver, even one of his own teammates, can't say enough about the kid.

Yes, people are talking about Green Bay Packers rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings, and every word of it is positively glowing.

Which is why Jennings, a super-confident but ultra-humble second-round draft pick from Western Michigan, is doing his best not to let it get to him as he prepares to start Sunday's regular-season opener against the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field - making him the first Packers rookie receiver to start the opener since Sterling Sharpe in 1988.

"Don't get me wrong. It's great to hear. But at the same time, some things you need to hear-but-not-hear," Jennings said Thursday, leaning against a laundry bin in the Packers' locker room after meetings. "I really don't get caught up in all the accolades, all the publicity. It's great, but to me, it's always better to be under the radar."

That's going to be hard after what Jennings did this preseason, as he caught 12 passes for an NFL-leading 328 yards (a 27.3-yard average). After the preseason finale against Tennessee last Friday afternoon, McCarthy named him the starter opposite No. 1 receiver Donald Driver, giving him the nod over sixth-year veteran Robert Ferguson.

"I've clearly never seen a rookie that productive that fast," McCarthy said.

And while Jennings was the fourth receiver taken in April's draft - after Ohio State's Santonio Holmes (Pittsburgh, 25th overall), Florida's Chad Jackson (New England, 36th) and Miami (Fla.)'s Sinorice Moss (New York Giants, 44th) - he's the only rookie receiver in the NFL expected to start this weekend.

So sorry, Greg, the under-the-radar thing ain't happening. Not now.

"And I understand that. But at the same time, I have to carry myself as though I'm still under the radar," Jennings replied. "Because once you start worrying about being noticed, you start playing with that thought in your mind. And you start thinking about how you have to play a certain way to keep getting the praise you feel you should be getting. You have to be humble and stay grounded."

He's succeeding at that, but don't take that to mean Jennings lacks self-confidence. While outsiders didn't expect him to emerge so quickly, he's not at all surprised.

"I can't say I've been surprised by anything I've done. I expect what I'm doing out here. I expect more than what I'm doing out here," said Jennings, who had an 89-yard catch against the Titans, an 85-yard touchdown against Atlanta Aug. 19 and a 47-yard catch against San Diego Aug. 12. "It's just my nature, I guess. I expect to make an impact. I'm not going to have a ridiculous, great game every Sunday, but I plan on having a lot of 'em."

Harris, the Packers' top cornerback, is expecting that.

"I think Jennings will emerge as a No. 1 receiver if not this year, next year," Harris said after practice. "The dude is real smooth. Real smooth. Sometimes I have a hard time getting my hands on him. Seriously, that's saying something."•

Rookie rarity Still, history suggests it won't be easy for the 5-foot-11, 198-pound Jennings to have a major impact as a rookie. Only five of the 546 wide receivers drafted from 1990 through 2005 have had 1,000-yard seasons as rookies: Joey Galloway (1995), Terry Glenn (1996), Randy Moss (1998), Anquan Boldin (2003) and Michael Clayton (2004).

But if anyone can do it, Robinson said, it's Jennings, whose football IQ is so high he's learned all three receiver positions - X (flanker), Z (split end) and zebra (slot receiver) - already.

"His maturity, his poise - it doesn't seem like anything really fazes him," said Robinson, a 17-year NFL coaching veteran who tutored Indianapolis' six-time Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison as a rookie in 1996, when Harrison started 15 games and had 836 yards and eight TDs.

"I think he's certainly capable of (1,000 yards). In my mind, he seems to be capable of doing just about anything given the opportunity. He's a unique guy."

Indeed, Jennings, who turns 23 in two weeks, is more mature than your average rookie. But, as he puts it, "I'm a different little human being."

He and his wife, Nicole, have been married since June 2005, although she went back to Kalamazoo Tuesday to finish her nursing degree at Western Michigan, where she has one 10-credit class to go. Jennings' parents, Greg Sr. and Gwen, are active in the church, with Greg Sr. working as a pastor at Deliverance Ministries in Kalamazoo, while Gwen is a church missionary.

Meanwhile, the folks at Jennings' high school, Kalamazoo Central, have been bugging him for some pictures and memorabilia to put in a display case at the school. They've already produced several famous sporting alumni - New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter most notably - but Jennings has yet to send them anything of his.

And even when he does, perhaps after he catches 1,000 yards worth of passes and scores 10 touchdowns this season, he vows he'll be the same guy he is today.

"Even though I may think I'm doing well now, I haven't even played a regular-season game. So nothing I've done to this point means anything. I mean nothing," Jennings said. "Because come Sunday, if I have a horrible game, everyone's going to ask, 'Well, you had a great preseason, you had a great training camp, what happened?'"

"I can't be arrogant, I can't be cocky and conceited, I can't put up a facade. I guarantee you I won't change. It's not in me to be anything different."

Not with Aaron Rodger at the helm. Jennings potential may never be truly realized. He will never put up numbers like Driver, EVER!

DenverBroncos said:
:( Jennings, at best is better than Driver already. That's no lie son. He's that good.
This Shtick never gets old

Chaos Commish said:
toxicbees said:
Chaos Commish said:
What is the logic in that? Why in the world would someone draft Clowney over Jones?They were both drafted by the same team, play the same position, and Jones was drafted rounds before Clowney. Makes no sense.

NorrisB said:
Jones is a guy with average speed, average size, average quickness, he looks alright I guess in his video clips, albeit against less then steller competition, I just dont like his technique when fighting for balls his open field running looks pretty good despite the fact that he looks slow. Im not a big fan of him, I guess he is a good value in the 5th round of a rookie draft but I dont think Id draft him much sooner. He's a career backup if Ive ever seen one.
This guy hasn't played one down in the NFL and you can label him a career backup?

Great stuff guys....I just picked him up in the 4th round of our rookie draft...1 million for 4 years...sweet!
Me too. 4.12. With Driver back he won't practice as much but has been imressing everyone. Probably be the slot WR.

DenverBroncos said:
You said "at best" meaning if he absolutely hits his ceiling. That's what "at best" means. Jennings was better than Driver in Week 3 vs. Detroit last season when he was "at his best." I'd send you an invite to one of my leagues but we only accept people over 13.

NorrisB said:
Tell that to Al Harris and Woodson. That was the word at the draft but isn't the case on the field. He has been beating good corners and catching everything they throw at him.

Jennings still has a lot to prove, but I think it's very possible that he could be better than Driver. I still remember this article from last season where Jennings was compared to Harrison and Al Harris was quoted as saying he thought Jennings would eventually be the Packers #1 receiver..either at some point last year or this season, fwiw.

Packers: Jennings remains modestly confident

JASON WILDE 608-252-6176

jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY - Coach Mike McCarthy's never seen anything like it. Jimmy Robinson's as surprised as anyone. And Al Harris, never one to praise a wide receiver, even one of his own teammates, can't say enough about the kid.

Yes, people are talking about Green Bay Packers rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings, and every word of it is positively glowing.

Which is why Jennings, a super-confident but ultra-humble second-round draft pick from Western Michigan, is doing his best not to let it get to him as he prepares to start Sunday's regular-season opener against the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field - making him the first Packers rookie receiver to start the opener since Sterling Sharpe in 1988.

"Don't get me wrong. It's great to hear. But at the same time, some things you need to hear-but-not-hear," Jennings said Thursday, leaning against a laundry bin in the Packers' locker room after meetings. "I really don't get caught up in all the accolades, all the publicity. It's great, but to me, it's always better to be under the radar."

That's going to be hard after what Jennings did this preseason, as he caught 12 passes for an NFL-leading 328 yards (a 27.3-yard average). After the preseason finale against Tennessee last Friday afternoon, McCarthy named him the starter opposite No. 1 receiver Donald Driver, giving him the nod over sixth-year veteran Robert Ferguson.

"I've clearly never seen a rookie that productive that fast," McCarthy said.

And while Jennings was the fourth receiver taken in April's draft - after Ohio State's Santonio Holmes (Pittsburgh, 25th overall), Florida's Chad Jackson (New England, 36th) and Miami (Fla.)'s Sinorice Moss (New York Giants, 44th) - he's the only rookie receiver in the NFL expected to start this weekend.

So sorry, Greg, the under-the-radar thing ain't happening. Not now.

"And I understand that. But at the same time, I have to carry myself as though I'm still under the radar," Jennings replied. "Because once you start worrying about being noticed, you start playing with that thought in your mind. And you start thinking about how you have to play a certain way to keep getting the praise you feel you should be getting. You have to be humble and stay grounded."

He's succeeding at that, but don't take that to mean Jennings lacks self-confidence. While outsiders didn't expect him to emerge so quickly, he's not at all surprised.

"I can't say I've been surprised by anything I've done. I expect what I'm doing out here. I expect more than what I'm doing out here," said Jennings, who had an 89-yard catch against the Titans, an 85-yard touchdown against Atlanta Aug. 19 and a 47-yard catch against San Diego Aug. 12. "It's just my nature, I guess. I expect to make an impact. I'm not going to have a ridiculous, great game every Sunday, but I plan on having a lot of 'em."

Harris, the Packers' top cornerback, is expecting that.

"I think Jennings will emerge as a No. 1 receiver if not this year, next year," Harris said after practice. "The dude is real smooth. Real smooth. Sometimes I have a hard time getting my hands on him. Seriously, that's saying something."•

Rookie rarity Still, history suggests it won't be easy for the 5-foot-11, 198-pound Jennings to have a major impact as a rookie. Only five of the 546 wide receivers drafted from 1990 through 2005 have had 1,000-yard seasons as rookies: Joey Galloway (1995), Terry Glenn (1996), Randy Moss (1998), Anquan Boldin (2003) and Michael Clayton (2004).

But if anyone can do it, Robinson said, it's Jennings, whose football IQ is so high he's learned all three receiver positions - X (flanker), Z (split end) and zebra (slot receiver) - already.

"His maturity, his poise - it doesn't seem like anything really fazes him," said Robinson, a 17-year NFL coaching veteran who tutored Indianapolis' six-time Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison as a rookie in 1996, when Harrison started 15 games and had 836 yards and eight TDs.

"I think he's certainly capable of (1,000 yards). In my mind, he seems to be capable of doing just about anything given the opportunity. He's a unique guy."

Indeed, Jennings, who turns 23 in two weeks, is more mature than your average rookie. But, as he puts it, "I'm a different little human being."

He and his wife, Nicole, have been married since June 2005, although she went back to Kalamazoo Tuesday to finish her nursing degree at Western Michigan, where she has one 10-credit class to go. Jennings' parents, Greg Sr. and Gwen, are active in the church, with Greg Sr. working as a pastor at Deliverance Ministries in Kalamazoo, while Gwen is a church missionary.

Meanwhile, the folks at Jennings' high school, Kalamazoo Central, have been bugging him for some pictures and memorabilia to put in a display case at the school. They've already produced several famous sporting alumni - New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter most notably - but Jennings has yet to send them anything of his.

And even when he does, perhaps after he catches 1,000 yards worth of passes and scores 10 touchdowns this season, he vows he'll be the same guy he is today.

"Even though I may think I'm doing well now, I haven't even played a regular-season game. So nothing I've done to this point means anything. I mean nothing," Jennings said. "Because come Sunday, if I have a horrible game, everyone's going to ask, 'Well, you had a great preseason, you had a great training camp, what happened?'"

"I can't be arrogant, I can't be cocky and conceited, I can't put up a facade. I guarantee you I won't change. It's not in me to be anything different."
Mind you this was one of Harrison's previous coaches saying this. And I'm the idiot I guess.

Chaos Commish said:
toxicbees said:
Chaos Commish said:
What is the logic in that? Why in the world would someone draft Clowney over Jones?They were both drafted by the same team, play the same position, and Jones was drafted rounds before Clowney. Makes no sense.
Clowney was a bigger name in college. He was invited to the Senior Bowl. He has elite speed and quicks (4.35 on grass with a 6.69 3 cone is jawdropping stuff). Jones had almost nobody anywhere at any draftnik site or any major site discussing him. Clowney had a nice reputation. He could develop into a nice player, btw. He is very difficult to stick to one on one.

Users who are viewing this thread