What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 CLUTCH QBs of All Time (1 Viewer)

twitch

Footballguy
Getting ready to watch NFL Network's special on who they or their experts consider to be the top 10 most CLUTCH Qs of All Time, so I thought Id take a stab at it. I'd be interested to hear who and how you'd rank 'em, and how far back everyone would look to reach. As an example, Ive never actually seen Bart Starr or John Unitas play a complete football game, but I feel obligated to include those 2 as well as Otto Graham on my list...some where. But anyway, Im interested to see a collection of CLUTCH Qs as the Sharks see it. Sorry if a recent Honda. No particular criteria. Just names and any reasoning you see fit, or not at all.

1- Montana

2- Elway

3- Staubauch

4- Brady

5- Starr

6- Unitas

7- Graham

8- Bradshaw

9- Marino

10-Manning

Here's their actual list. I'll keep it updated. I know. Youre all riveted. :lmao:

10- Marino (obviously would be higher with a title to his credit)

9 - Young ( described as "nuts" and "crazy", but personally think only this top 10 choice is nuts)

8 - Starr (watch the final drive of the ice bowl, or one of the 1st two SBs)

7- Graham (lots of titles and title game appearances)

6- Stabler (money in an era of the dominant Steelers and Dolphins, a little overshadowed)

5- Unitas ("Father of the postition") wow.

4 - Staubach (the first GREAT QB I really remember watching, as the '78 SB between Denver and Dallas was my first. He was just absolutely the definition of clutch money in that shotgun in the 2-minute drill. absolutely a thing of beauty)

3 - Brady(3 rings. 4SBs. Im biased. He's fairly clutch.)

2- Elway (47 4th quarter comebacks kindof speaks for itself. Just an incredibly talented and COMPLETE football player)

1- Montana (fairly predicable. 4SBs. 4 wins. 11TDs. OINTs. 3 SB MVPs. We all saw this coming. All 6 of us)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Jim Plunkett. Increased his QB rating by 20% in the playoffs.
that's a great call, Chase. And I was close to throwing him on my list. Based on his performances in those 2 title runs. just didnt think he had the overall longevity to measure up against the others.edit to add quality longevity.

How is John Elway not #1. That's riduculous. You can make the case on who is the greatest QB of all time, and most would say it's not Elway, but in the category of best Clucth/4th Q QB of all time Elway stands on a pedestal far above everybody else. He is afterall the only QB with a game named for his exploits, and it's called THE DRIVE FOR GODS SAKES!

Well, "clutch" can be viewed or categorized in many different ways.

If you're talking playoffs, give me Aikman. Record holder for post-season winning percentage and completion percentage.

Yes, even better than Montana. Aikman was not known as a prolific passer, but was more than capable when called upon.

As far as all-around "clutch", in no particular order the names Staubach, Elway, and Marino all come to mind.

(I've only followed and watched the NFL intensely since the early 70's, so that may need to be considered)

Staubach- "Captain Comeback", simply put, as his moniker was. As former teammate and Cowboys safety Charlie Waters always said, "we never felt like we were out of it as long as we had Roger". (Where do you think the term "Hail Mary" came from? Staubach-to-Pearson, '75 playoffs at Minnesota)

Elway- Even as an all-time Cowboys fan, Elway is my all-time favorite and in my mind the all-time best. Always did the most with the least. Holds the record for most 4th quarter and overtime comebacks/wins for a reason. An absolute delight to watch perform.

Marino- If you were to look up "precision quarterback" in the dictionary, you would find Marino. I don't know of another quarterback I've ever had the pleasure of watching that schooled more defenses. In those days of "the Marks' brothers" (Duper and Clayton), I don't know that I've ever seen a scarier QB. And that was with no real running game threat. Everybody in the stadium knew what was coming, but nobody could stop him. A la, the records he posted. Too many times I can remember watching Dolphin games when they were down in the fourth quarter and the offense was about to take the field thinking, Oh god, here comes Marino...

I can only imagine what the DBs were thinking.

How is John Elway not #1. That's riduculous. You can make the case on who is the greatest QB of all time, and most would say it's not Elway, but in the category of best Clucth/4th Q QB of all time Elway stands on a pedestal far above everybody else. He is afterall the only QB with a game named for his exploits, and it's called THE DRIVE FOR GODS SAKES!
In the 4th yes. But being clutch is about more then just the final 15 minutes. Its about coming up big when the team needs you to be the catalyst for a victory, which can happen at any time during a game. Montana #1.

Don't mean to knock Montana, but he was purely a product of the system.

Walsh's then unheard of "west coast offense". If he had gone to nearly any other team, he wouldn't be in this discussion.

That was the genuis of Bill Walsh. He developed a system to suit his players, including the "weak" armed Montana.

He saw the smarts and the talent, he just had to adjust to it.

Don't mean to knock Montana, but he was purely a product of the system.Walsh's then unheard of "west coast offense". If he had gone to nearly any other team, he wouldn't be in this discussion.That was the genuis of Bill Walsh. He developed a system to suit his players, including the "weak" armed Montana.
cant quite buy this. sure, he played in a great system. but the 'system' doesnt make that clutch throw to Dwight Clark, on that unbelievable roll out under amazing pressure. the Walsh system didnt help him win a national title at Notre Dame, including a 38-10 win over #1 Texas in the Cotton Bowl(basically AT Texas). Systems are great. when run by the right players. So, a product of a system? to a degree. Purely? Not really a fair point.

Don't mean to knock Montana, but he was purely a product of the system.Walsh's then unheard of "west coast offense". If he had gone to nearly any other team, he wouldn't be in this discussion.That was the genuis of Bill Walsh. He developed a system to suit his players, including the "weak" armed Montana.
cant quite buy this. sure, he played in a great system. but the 'system' doesnt make that clutch throw to Dwight Clark, on that unbelievable roll out under amazing pressure. the Walsh system didnt help him win a national title at Notre Dame, including a 38-10 win over #1 Texas in the Cotton Bowl(basically AT Texas). Systems are great. when run by the right players. So, a product of a system? to a degree. Purely? Not really a fair point.
Fair enough.Maybe "purely" is a bit strong, but I don't see that kind of production had he landed with any number of other teams.Elway, on the other hand, didn't have a Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, etc., etc., etc.How many of Elway's receivers can we name without looking them up?

In the 4th yes. But being clutch is about more then just the final 15 minutes. Its about coming up big when the team needs you to be the catalyst for a victory, which can happen at any time during a game. Montana #1.
it amazes me how completely over-rated Elway iswith 4 Super Bowl LOSSES, he is not in my top 10. just a horsey-faced diva with a strong arm...a veritable cannon, to be sure. but ya gotta give me better than 2-4 in the biggest game to be in the top 10!

it amazes me how completely over-rated Elway iswith 4 Super Bowl LOSSES, he is not in my top 10. just a horsey-faced diva with a strong arm...a veritable cannon, to be sure. but ya gotta give me better than 2-4 in the biggest game to be in the top 10!
Hey, he still GOT to those Super Bowls, didn't he?And with what kind of supporting cast? Much less than Kelly had with his Bills, to be sure.

Fair enough.Maybe "purely" is a bit strong, but I don't see that kind of production had he landed with any number of other teams.Elway, on the other hand, didn't have a Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, etc., etc., etc.How many of Elway's receivers can we name without looking them up?
good points. Elway's best 2 WRs were probably McCaffrey and Rod Smith, along with Sharpe, and no coincidence they didnt win it all until they had all that talent assembled.

good points. Elway's best 2 WRs were probably McCaffrey and Rod Smith, along with Sharpe, and no coincidence they didnt win it all until they had all that talent assembled.
And in his hey-day, it was really no more than the likes of Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson (I think those are the names, see what I mean?)Oh, and let's not forget Ricky Nattiel. Big Whoop. And the running backs were who? Before Terrell Davis showed up?

Hey, he still GOT to those Super Bowls, didn't he?And with what kind of supporting cast? Much less than Kelly had with his Bills, to be sure.
credit given for getting there. fine. but do not try to convince me that the top QB of all time won 1/3 of the championship games he played in.

credit given for getting there. fine. but do not try to convince me that the top QB of all time won 1/3 of the championship games he played in.
I'll take that over not getting there at all any day.

You're swimming upstream in this Pool.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...5&hl=clutch

As far as Elway, Young, Marino, and P. Manning go, I cannot credit any QB as being clutch when there was that much hoopla surrounding getting their respective monkeys off of their respective backs. When they had to face that "can he win the big one" question for the majority of their careers, I can't see anyone placing them in their top ten lists.

And in his hey-day, it was really no more than the likes of Vance Johnson and Mark Jackson (I think those are the names, see what I mean?)Oh, and let's not forget Ricky Nattiel. Big Whoop. And the running backs were who? Before Terrell Davis showed up?
he absolutey willed those teams to SB appearances. that supporting talent level was nowhere near Elway's. And people need to keep in mind that Elway led his AFC Broncos to those SBs during an unprecedented NFC run of almost complete and utter domination. Think of all those titles collected by the NFC East alone, 8 in all from the 'Boyz, Gmen and 'Skins, and of course the Montana Niners teams. His Broncos were entirely overmatched by a superior team in all but really ONE of those SBs. Even Green Bay overmatched them, though they did win that game. I dont see Elway as overrated one bit. He had a stronger arm than Staubach, but in many ways, he was a similar player. Btw, Staubach may be the most UNDERrated great QB of all time. He didnt even play in the NFL his 1st 5 years out of college. Troy Aikman and Tom Brady had each won multiple SBs in that time. Staubach may very well have done the same. Could really have been the greatest to ever live.

Which QBs have the most comeback wins? Those are typically close games where the QB is able to lead his team to victory in the 4th quarter.

Which QBs have the most comeback wins? Those are typically close games where the QB is able to lead his team to victory in the 4th quarter.
Elway's 47 is tops. Probably by a few. Staubach had 23 I believe, in far less games, 17 in the last 2 minutes running a "2-minute drill" that was to that point a little ahead of its time.

John Elway is an all time great. I'd put Montana and Unitas in their own tier at the top, with Elway in the next tier with Baugh, Graham, Favre, Marino, and probably Manning and Brady when they are done.

Walsh's then unheard of "west coast offense". If he had gone to nearly any other team, he wouldn't be in this discussion.

That was the genuis of Bill Walsh. He developed a system to suit his players, including the "weak" armed Montana.

I am cool with the idea that Montana benefited from the system, but if Elway and Aikman can be excused form this, then Montana is for sure. Elway didn't benefit from playing in that offense? Sure he did. Aikman? Umm, yeah, you could say he had some talent around him.And this isn't about top QB of all time, it's most clutch. Frankly Aikman isn't even close to being on the same level as the other two. And it's for the same reason Brady isn't: They never had the opportunities to be clutch that Elway and Montana had. Montana and Elway WON games for their teams in the playoffs. You can trace the wind directly to their heroics. This is by no means a knock on Aikman and Brady.

And Montana is my choice over Elway. Leaving aside Elway's pathetic performances in the Super Bowl losses, the thing that really clinches it for me is this: Montana and Elway both led dramatic comebacks in big games, big-time clutch prformances. My thing with Elway was, he had a lot of comebacks, because he would put his team in a hole with dumb interceptions. All-time great QB that had some bad, bad games.

As to the talent level surrounding Montana, that is always open to discussion, but between Elway, Montana, and Aikman, if you look at the Super Bowl winning teams of all those guys, the worst team, by far, was the 82 49ers. Leading rusher? Rickey Patton, followed closely by Earl Cooper and Johnny Davis. Kinda makes Gerald Wilhite and Steve Sewell look a bit better.

Elway's 47 is tops. Probably by a few. Staubach had 23 I believe, in far less games, 17 in the last 2 minutes running a "2-minute drill" that was to that point a little ahead of its time.
Darn right, and I think Marino is second.And yes, Staubach was something to behold indeed. You also can't discount the class in which he brought it.

Darn right, and I think Marino is second.And yes, Staubach was something to behold indeed. You also can't discount the class in which he brought it.
Class has nothing to do with clutch.You're kinda homering out here, guy. :confused:

Class has nothing to do with clutch.You're kinda homering out here, guy. :lmao:
Well, alright, maybe so. LOL!

Class has nothing to do with clutch.You're kinda homering out here, guy. :lmao:
"Captain Comeback" was Staubach's handle back in the day. One of the cooler QB nicknames I can recall, but he definitely earned it. The guy was almost like a superhero, and pretty much defining clutch back in the day. So, Ill bail out my Dallas fan friend here for a slightly more objective take. Still, cant quite put him on that Elway or Montana level based on the #s.

Class has nothing to do with clutch.You're kinda homering out here, guy. :banned:
"Captain Comeback" was Staubach's handle back in the day. One of the cooler QB nicknames I can recall, but he definitely earned it. The guy was almost like a superhero, and pretty much defining clutch back in the day. So, Ill bail out my Dallas fan friend here for a slightly more objective take. Still, cant quite put him on that Elway or Montana level based on the #s.
Heh, I wouldn't have called him out if he wasn't knocking Montana at the same time.Cowboy fans knocking Montan is as suspicious as.......Raider fans knocking Elway. :mellow:

Class has nothing to do with clutch.You're kinda homering out here, guy. :mellow:
Ya know, Staubach may very well be the reason why so many of us are die-hard Cowboy fans, because we grew up watching him and knowing to never give up. Staubach instilled that, and usually delivered. While it was Drew Pearson that was known as "Mr. Clutch", it was Staubach getting the ball to him.

Class has nothing to do with clutch.You're kinda homering out here, guy. :mellow:
Staubach was so much better than Elway it's blasphemous to even mention them in the same breath. And I am no Cowgirl fan.Tell me again why Elway should even be in this conversation?

Ya know, Staubach may very well be the reason why so many of us are die-hard Cowboy fans, because we grew up watching him and knowing to never give up. Staubach instilled that, and usually delivered.
I can buy that. I was never even a Cowboys fan. And I have a dominant baseball background from an early age. never played organized football. Staubach probably had as much to do with my love for the game today as any one player growing up. I remember that Cowboys/Denver-Orange Crush/Tony Dorsett SB, following them a little the next couple of years. Of course that Steelers SB was another unbelievable game. My guy Steve Grogan was a little Staubach-like, but not quite as spectacular. Staubach was definitely just elite.

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on this board in quite some time. You couldn't be more wrong.
Thanks for clearing that up.Anything to support your proclamation???
Given that you said you have watched football since the 1970s, and yet you made that post, I doubt there is anything I can say that will convince you. :lmao:But I was happy to clear that up for you. :bag:

I am cool with the idea that Montana benefited from the system, but if Elway and Aikman can be excused form this, then Montana is for sure. Elway didn't benefit from playing in that offense? Sure he did. Aikman? Umm, yeah, you could say he had some talent around him.And this isn't about top QB of all time, it's most clutch. Frankly Aikman isn't even close to being on the same level as the other two. And it's for the same reason Brady isn't: They never had the opportunities to be clutch that Elway and Montana had. Montana and Elway WON games for their teams in the playoffs. You can trace the wind directly to their heroics. This is by no means a knock on Aikman and Brady.

And Montana is my choice over Elway. Leaving aside Elway's pathetic performances in the Super Bowl losses, the thing that really clinches it for me is this: Montana and Elway both led dramatic comebacks in big games, big-time clutch prformances. My thing with Elway was, he had a lot of comebacks, because he would put his team in a hole with dumb interceptions. All-time great QB that had some bad, bad games.

As to the talent level surrounding Montana, that is always open to discussion, but between Elway, Montana, and Aikman, if you look at the Super Bowl winning teams of all those guys, the worst team, by far, was the 82 49ers. Leading rusher? Rickey Patton, followed closely by Earl Cooper and Johnny Davis. Kinda makes Gerald Wilhite and Steve Sewell look a bit better.
Great post. Andy, here's your answer.

Class has nothing to do with clutch.You're kinda homering out here, guy. :goodposting:
Staubach was so much better than Elway it's blasphemous to even mention them in the same breath. And I am no Cowgirl fan.Tell me again why Elway should even be in this conversation?
You cant really even compare the level of talent the two guys were surrounded by. Staubach has played with a few HOFers. And many who'll never be in the hall like Tony Hill and Drew Pearson and Harvey Martin and Too Tall Jones. Im not sure Elway has played with one future HOFer, with the exception of Shannon Sharpe. He should be a lock. And not to detract from anything Staubach ever did, but Tom Landry is absolutely one of the 3 or 4 greatest football coaches of all time. In any era. At any level. QBs definitely benefit from great coaching. Just a fraction of an explanation for a little Elway support here. But Elway's merits pretty much stand on their on. They dont really need my help.

Tom Landry is absolutely one of the 3 or 4 greatest football coaches of all time
I understand why you would say this, because he was a great coach. But I don't think he is top 3 or 4 all time. It's splitting hairs, because he is not far from it, so your underlying point is certainly valid. But it is easy to forget some of the great coaches there have been in the NFL.My top 5 (in no particular order): Vince Lombardi, George Halas, Don Shula, Paul Brown, and Chuck Noll. IMO that leaves Bill Walsh, John Madden, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells, and Bill Belicheck in the next group (again, no particular order).

The Packers won 5 championships under Starr's leadership. During those years they did not have the dominant player at any position, though they had players that made names for themselves. What they all had, and what Starr had in spades was belief in themselves and their team mates and their coaches. That belief, that faith, allowed them to prevail against weather, stronger and larger and faster foes, and even against time as their last championship came well beyond the team's prime.

Starr called his own plays. He analyzed the game. He did not have coaches in sky boxes with microphones and faxes of pictures of formations. He had to be the field general. His M.O was to run, run again, and dink and dunk until, inevitably, his signature move. Late in the game he would call the out of character play, something well up the field, he would throw against all tendancy and apparent common sense and make it work time and again. He was quiet, unassuming, of doughy build and mild temperment, and he was a ####### assasin who stood higher in championships than Unitas. He would gut opponents with greater gifts time and again with intelligence, will and faith, not natural athletic gifts.

You want clutch, how about calling your own number in the Ice Bowl? He accepted ultimate responsibility in the harshest weather, against a younger and stronger team, and when his team was so short of backs they were playing a street free agent that day.

You want perfection, in an era where Q.B.'s and receivers were savaged and mugged he hung the record for passes in a row without an interception. Starr was not the tallest, strongest-armed, fastest, or flashiest, in fact he was the antithesis of those things. What he was, was clutch.

cmon bro how can you argue Montana's numbers?4-4 & 3 MVPs in four appearces says it all. :yawn:

X for being factually incorrect.

Class has nothing to do with clutch.You're kinda homering out here, guy. :thumbup:
You cant really even compare the level of talent the two guys were surrounded by. Staubach has played with a few HOFers. And many who'll never be in the hall like Tony Hill and Drew Pearson and Harvey Martin and Too Tall Jones. Im not sure Elway has played with one future HOFer, with the exception of Shannon Sharpe. He should be a lock. And not to detract from anything Staubach ever did, but Tom Landry is absolutely one of the 3 or 4 greatest football coaches of all time. In any era. At any level. QBs definitely benefit from great coaching. Just a fraction of an explanation for a little Elway support here. But Elway's merits pretty much stand on their on. They dont really need my help.
blame Canton. He has had teammates who belong in the HOF, especially with that amazing D that Denver had in '86, right Despyzer?Also, Gary Zimmerman.

Users who are viewing this thread