What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago Fantasy Sports (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
Background is here.

Executive summary, these guys failed to pay hundreds of thousands in prize money and have fire the league up for another year.

LATEST EMAIL:

Let us begin by saying thank you for the patience that you have shown throughout this ordeal.

The unfortunate events that have darkened the name of the AFFL have proved too much to overcome. When we started this venture back in March we envisioned a resurrection of the AFFL name. We wanted to come in, make things right, and then move forward. We knew that to keep the AFFL alive would mean paying out all the 2007 prizes as well as pre-securing 2008 prizes. We wanted to prove to the AFFL customers, and the fantasy community, that we would not make the same mistakes that previous ownership did. We wanted to prove to them that we were guys that could be trusted. Unfortunately, mostly due to timing and the economy, we were unable to raise the substantial amount of money it would require to do so. So now what?

There are a lot of people out there that love to play fantasy football and the AFFL provided a great place to do it. In the past few months we have spoken with a lot of customers and have had positive feedback about the structure of the contest. To date, the AFFL has reached almost $60,000 in signups for the upcoming season, all without a resolution to the 2007 problems being announced. People want to play.

We love fantasy football just like you guys. We've been playing for a long time and have wanted to start a contest for a while. We've put a lot of time and money into this and do not want to give up. We're out of ideas, and out of ways to cut costs. This is what we have left.

We are no longer going to try to fix someone else's mistakes and problems. We also do not want to have to pay for someone else's mistakes and problems. We are upfront and honest guys that want to put a great contest out there for the fantasy football community. Therefore, we’re going to take the only option left for us at this time. We are going to start a new contest. We will use the same AFFL software and website, and change the name of the contest in the future. The contest will be run in the exact same fashion as the AFFL. All previously posted prizes and rules will not change. As 2007 prize winners ourselves, we really wanted to make things right and payout 2007 winners. As we stated earlier, we are sad to say that with only a few weeks left until the season starts that’s going to be impossible. We are offering the following three choices for 2007 prize winners:

1. We will be honoring any 2007 AFFL prize credits that you want to roll over. Of the prize winners that we have spoken to, almost 90% were willing to roll over. If you want to put this debacle behind you, move on, and just play fantasy football again, then roll over and play in the same contest you won in last year. We are honest guys and will make timely payouts. Roll over amounts, up to $10,000, will never expire and will be able to be used over multiple years. We will personally contact prizes winners over $10,000 and speak to them personally about their options.

If you choose this option, you will have to agree to absolve International Fantasy Sports and the AFFL of any 2007 prize liability. If you decline this option, please note that Chicago Fantasy Sports will not be assuming any liability for 2007 prize payouts from International Fantasy Sports.

2. Take your chances in court, although, this option will be long and drawn out, and as we understand it, previous ownership has no funds if the lawsuit succeeds. We have also been told that IFS is filing bankruptcy. With option 1 at least you are guaranteed to get something for what is owed to you.

3. Choose not to play with us on principle. Choose not to get involved in a drawn out lawsuit. Just chalk it up to a loss and do nothing. Again, with option 1, at least you are playing fantasy football.

Please follow this link to accept or decline option 1. If you accept, your credits will be available immediately. www.affl.com/prizes

If, prior to February, you had elected to take credit for you prize winnings, that credit is still active. However, you will still need to accept option 1. If that gives you additional credit, your original discount code will be updated.

We hope that you will choose to play with us. Although we cannot prove ourselves to you in advance, as we had hoped, we will certainly do so in the future.

We hope to have the site up and running at 100% in the next few days. Because we never really considered this option until the last few days, there are some things that will need a little time to happen. We will need to have prize winnings placed in your respective accounts soon. Once they are in your accounts, you can choose to use them this year or in future years.

We have also decided to cancel the platinum league for this year only. Although we are reluctant to do so, there is just not enough time to get enough participants in order to make the platinum league competitive. For our platinum players, please consider our gold contest, it costs only $600 to enter, $750 less than the platinum contest and the grand prize is only $15,000 less.

Also, due to time constraints, drafts on August 16th and 17th will be cancelled.

Emails containing further information will be sent out in the future. We know there may be some of you that are unhappy with this resolution and we want you to know that we are as well. We certainly did not envision this when we started, but as I said earlier, this is the only feasible option we have left.

Wade J. Golab 773-908-0246

Robert J. Smolarczyk 773-842-5954

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to put this debacle behind you, move on, and just play fantasy football again, then bend over and play in the same contest you won in last year.

Please believe me, I'm not a defender of the AFFL. But I think these two guys are not connected with Neil, the guy behind AFFL and who defrauded everyone last year.

At the very least, you should make certain that you know these guys ARE connected with Neil before you start accusations against them.

Please believe me, I'm not a defender of the AFFL. But I think these two guys are not connected with Neil, the guy behind AFFL and who defrauded everyone last year. At the very least, you should make certain that you know these guys ARE connected with Neil before you start accusations against them.
I don't believe that's the accusation.

Something just doesn't seem right. The new owners ACTED like they were running the contest and would pay the members if certain sign-ups were met. Once they were not met, they distanced themselves from that liability. I also find it strange that they would even comment on previous ownership if they only bought the software.

I personally wouldn't touch this contest with a ten foot poll and Joe Bryant's money.

:goodposting:

If anyone is dumb enough to give these crooks their money again they deserve what they get.

"We're honest guys". LOL LOL

Why would they offer credits to those that got screwed only if they absolve AFFL if they aren't connected to them is some way. It doesn't make sense to me.

Please believe me, I'm not a defender of the AFFL. But I think these two guys are not connected with Neil, the guy behind AFFL and who defrauded everyone last year. At the very least, you should make certain that you know these guys ARE connected with Neil before you start accusations against them.
How did they obtain the AFFL and software without being connected to Neil? Why are they offering credits to past winners in lieu of paying the money owed if they are not connected to Neil?ETA Why are they using the same website and name? Why is their message board not working?

Last edited by a moderator:
How did they obtain the AFFL and software without being connected to Neil? Why are they offering credits to past winners in lieu of paying the money owed if they are not connected to Neil?ETA Why are they using the same website and name? Why is their message board not working?
I THINK - and this is my best guess - they tried to buy the assets in an asset purchase, without taking on the liabilities. In order to make it work and save the contest, they tried to save old customers and give credits. Of course, after Neil screwed everybody, few customers wanted to stick around.

I THINK - and this is my best guess - they tried to buy the assets in an asset purchase, without taking on the liabilities.
I really don't know how that is possible outside of bankruptcy court.

There's an old... saying in Chicago... I know it's in Texas, probably in Chicago... that says, fool me once, shame on... ... ... shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

Wise words to live by.

How can anyone read this and not think there is something wrong?

Are people REALLY going to give these people their money? :thumbup:

This sounds like a big scam to me and if people are foolish enough to give them their money, then they deserve what comes their way.

Not to judge,

But imagining a Judge,

The first time I might be a little more sympathetic.

The second...edge of the herd.

Maybe a little safer when they secure their prizes.

I live in chicago - wrigleyville except for the North Halsted is actually pretty decent.

On AFFL - why would anyone do this ?

So they are willing to credit peoples account 10K to play however many times they like to win back money they already won??

They advise folks against court - actually this is true Neil likely has nothing and though folks will win easily ( not really as drawn out as said ) Neil couln't pay - thing to do would be to prove that whoever owns it now was connected to Neil an somehow prove a deal was actually made between Neal and new owners to payout winners.

Personally I would go to court ( but I have several friends that work at Sidley Austin and could help me for nothing ) :thumbup:

Let's see, two sayings come to mind...

"You reep what you sew" and "Stupid is as stupid does!"

Basically put, anyone who participates in it gets what they deserve.

I THINK - and this is my best guess - they tried to buy the assets in an asset purchase, without taking on the liabilities.
Short of buying the software which would involve the courts, there is the option of leasing the software in the short term until the legal process runs its course... whatever the case, i'm surprised the new owners haven't at least made an effort to communicate to their situation/intentions to the fantasy community as a whole; their emails do end up here and other places but why not come forward, especially with their drafts coming up in one week?

It's possible. And done quite a lot.

Bizkiteer said:
Let's see, two sayings come to mind..."You reep what you sew" and "Stupid is as stupid does!" Basically put, anyone who participates in it gets what they deserve.
sow

Users who are viewing this thread