What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whoever is representing FBG in the "Experts" mock... (1 Viewer)

corpcow

Footballguy
http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Footbal...ses_surpris.php

I like this comment:

what the bloodclot?! ... alright, note to self: NEVER visit Footballguys.com.

this is a joke right? what in the world are some of these guys doing? "experts".. wow.. can i get one of these coushy FF writer jobs. this makes my brain hurt trying to figure out what the hell they were thinking.
Yes, the Gonzo pick might be one IMO, one of the most ridiculous things ever bolder picks out there (well, next to taking Slaton over ADP) - but thanks for the misdirection :) ETA: Edited to be a little fairer to John - looking through the scoring etc, maybe Gonzo wasn't ridiculous per se - but it was a BOLD pick, and he definitely went out on a limb a little with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
MJD in a PPR....what's so strange? He's good enough to carry the team....if Witten went in the 3rd it would seem ok....LOL....nice move though, get the PFT/NBC riled up!!

I'd love to see how this league would play out to see who the real "experts" are. However, that is a god awful pick, and I'm one of the most forgiving when it comes to picks that deviate from the norm.

I really cant see this being any staff at FBG. I have played in leagues with many of them for contests or mocks and they are always pretty solid.

Could a battle be brewing with not even being a staff member from FBG representing board there.

I would like to know if that is a staff member. Just in case he writes something I know not to listen to him. crazy pick.

Poor, Mark. Guy probably had nothing to do with this...

"Wow the guy drafting for footballguys is clearly a jabrone and should be fired ASAP. If I had to guess it would be Mark Wimer, I could spot that guy 2 picks per round and still field a better team than him."

It's a shark move to withhold your draft strategy until the real draft. Why give it away at the mock?
Anonymous Internet User is an individual whose top priority in fantasy football is likely winning his league. Footballguys is a for-profit enterprise whose top priority in fantasy football is likely attracting subscribers and maximizing profit. As a result, what would be in the best interest of Anonymous Internet User in a public "experts" mock is not the same thing that's in the best interests of someone representing FBGs in a public "experts" mock.It's not like footballguys is some random dude who participates in 3 big-money leagues and is just looking to walk home with $3000 in cash at the end of the season. Footballguys is a corporation, and if they want to make $3000, they aren't trying to win leagues, they're trying to increase web traffic.Now, their current strategy might be incredibly successful. Several people might see the mock, think that FBGs knows something that they don't, and sign up to see what's going on. Or, at the end of the year, they might have dominated the league using such unconventional picks, and a bunch of observers are going to take notice and drop by before next season. On the other hand, their current strategy might be a terrible idea, as I'm sure a lot of people are going to be turned off by an "expert" fantasy football resource that recommends drafting Tony Gonzalez and Aaron Rogers at the 2/3 turn (as the first TE and QB off the board, no less). I don't know. I'm just suggesting plausible reasons why the Footballguys might "give it away at the mock".

I don't think this is a mock draft. It's an IDP league and John Norton is representing FBG in it. I'm sure he'll check in and provide his reasoning.

Tough part about picking on the turns is you often have to reach for players b/c it's a long wait til you get to pick again.

I don't think this is a mock draft. It's an IDP league and John Norton is representing FBG in it. I'm sure he'll check in and provide his reasoning.Tough part about picking on the turns is you often have to reach for players b/c it's a long wait til you get to pick again.
Ahah... John figures he can probably with the league with his defensive picks alone, and isn't even concerned with offense then. It all makes sense now :D

I don't think this is a mock draft. It's an IDP league and John Norton is representing FBG in it. I'm sure he'll check in and provide his reasoning.

Tough part about picking on the turns is you often have to reach for players b/c it's a long wait til you get to pick again.
Bingo. If you truly feel that Gonzo and Rodgers will be that much worth owning, then you have to draft them there, Rodgers won't be there at the 4/5 turn. Gonzo's tougher to justify, as he might be there then, but that is around his ADP (I think, I'm not doublechecking right now).Look at it this way, would there be this outrage if it was Brady/Witten there? If those 2 would be acceptable, why would he pick players he assumedly has ranked lower there just because there ADP says they should be first picked.

If you want to argue semantics... Flip flop the picks...

MJD 1.1 The guy is on the cover of the FBG Magazine.

Aaron Rodgers round 2.12

Tony Gonzalez round 3.01

Still bad?

Bingo. If you truly feel that Gonzo and Rodgers will be that much worth owning, then you have to draft them there, Rodgers won't be there at the 4/5 turn. Gonzo's tougher to justify, as he might be there then, but that is around his ADP (I think, I'm not doublechecking right now).Look at it this way, would there be this outrage if it was Brady/Witten there? If those 2 would be acceptable, why would he pick players he assumedly has ranked lower there just because there ADP says they should be first picked.
:goodposting: s

Yet another reason drafts are inferior to auctions...but that's still a big reach imo. I'd like to hear Norton's reasoning.

Though if he wins the thing people will say what a genius he is, and if he flames out he'll be an idiot.

If you want to argue semantics... Flip flop the picks...MJD 1.1 The guy is on the cover of the FBG Magazine. Aaron Rodgers round 2.12Tony Gonzalez round 3.01Still bad?
Still... exactly the same as it currently is. I don't think anyone's saying "OMG, I can't believe you took Tony Gonzalez in the second, if only you'd taken him just one pick later that would have been a great pick, but in the SECOND? OMGOMG!"I agree that if the drafter really thinks that Rogers and Gonzo are going to be the best in the league, and he doesn't think they'll fall to him, then they're the pick there. Drafting is all about getting the best players before anyone else does. If that's what it takes to get them, then that's when you pick them. I personally don't buy into those projections, but the fact that everyone has their own projections is what makes fantasy football fun.

I hear ya thats why im going to take my fith ranked QB in the 2nd as the first QB off the board in my next draft. Maybe his and Marks ranking got mixed up.

I really hated the position I was stuck in at 2.12 and 3.01. As it was coming back to me I thought I may get lucky enough to have DeAngelo and/or Roddy White make it to me. They both went just ahead of me. In my view there was a big drop off at both positions after those two went off the board. I struggled hard with the decision of, do I go ahead and take the scraps of the next best guys at WR/RB or do I try to shake things up a little? It's a long long way back to me and by the time it gets there the top QB's and probably the top couple TE's will be gone. I hate being in the position of picking the best of what's left so my thought was that if I grab Gonzo and a QB it would set off a run. One that I wouldn't be stuck at the end of. So far that has worked OK.

If you look at the scoring and last year's rankings in this league, you will see that Rodgers was the #2 overall player in the league, 9 points behind Brees, and that Gonzo was #30 (I took him at 24) but outscored all other TE's by 57 points. I already have Brees in 4 other leagues, and Brady in 2. If this were my only league I would have taken Brees but I just don't like putting all my eggs in one basket and lets be honest, there's not that big a difference among the top 4-5 QBs so I took the one I wanted.

The other advantage for me is that I have 2 positions locked down until the second half of the draft when I can pick up backups. Now I can wait to see who falls throught he cracks at WR/RB in the next 4 rounds and should be able to get some decent players while everyone else is fighting over second tier QBs and the other top few TEs. I agree that Gonzo was a little bit of a reach and a gamble but I have the top player at that position.

I don't know how anyone can question MJD at #1 in a PPR league. He was the #2 back in this league LAST year and with Taylor gone has a real shot at #1 this year in my opinion. As for the other two guys, I've seen a lot stranger things happen. Let’s see what I have at the end of the draft and where I finish at the end of the season before you go dropping your subscriptions.

On the other hand I'm glad to see there is so much interest. With everyone watching I really hope I'm right :goodposting:

Best of luck to you all this season.

If you look at the scoring and last year's rankings in this league, you will see that Rodgers was the #2 overall player in the league, 9 points behind Brees, and that Gonzo was #30 (I took him at 24) but outscored all other TE's by 57 points. I already have Brees in 4 other leagues, and Brady in 2. If this were my only league I would have taken Brees but I just don't like putting all my eggs in one basket and lets be honest, there's not that big a difference among the top 4-5 QBs so I took the one I wanted.
I can understand using a different draft strategy (IE RB-RB, WR-WR, etc) in different drafts, but to take a player that you are ranking 5th over the player you are ranking 1st because it is not your only league is foolish. "I ignored my rankings just to switch it up" is an insult to people who actually are paying for your analysis. You intentionally drafted a player that you believe to be inferior because you wanted to do something different? I could understand if you were drafting a lower ranked player due to ADP, but this is nonsense.You owe it to your subscribers to look at each draft in a vacuum and stick to you convictions. Your explanation reeks of indifference.

Precisely what I was going to post. When you're stuck on the turns, you're going to make some reaches. Curious, but hardly "shocking" or "foolish".

Sweet Love said:
Poor, Mark. Guy probably had nothing to do with this..."Wow the guy drafting for footballguys is clearly a jabrone and should be fired ASAP. If I had to guess it would be Mark Wimer, I could spot that guy 2 picks per round and still field a better team than him."
It's not me, but I will point out that I won my Fantasy Sports Trade Association leagues 2 years in a row (2006 and 2007, didn't play last year) - I beat Howard Kamen from USA Today and Matthew Berry from ESPN during 2007. So folks can throw all the mud they want, I've got the trophies on my mantle. LOL. Unlike all the guys who took Steven Jackson in the top 5 last year. LMAO.

Winston Wolfe said:
John Norton said:
I can understand using a different draft strategy (IE RB-RB, WR-WR, etc) in different drafts, but to take a player that you are ranking 5th over the player you are ranking 1st because it is not your only league is foolish. "I ignored my rankings just to switch it up" is an insult to people who actually are paying for your analysis. You intentionally drafted a player that you believe to be inferior because you wanted to do something different? I could understand if you were drafting a lower ranked player due to ADP, but this is nonsense.You owe it to your subscribers to look at each draft in a vacuum and stick to you convictions. Your explanation reeks of indifference.
Where do you see anything that says I have Rodgers (assuming of course that he's the player you are referring to) ranked 5th in this particular scoring system? If I believed that picking Rodgers over Brady or Brees would hurt my chances in the least, I would not have made that pick. I use tiers when I draft rather than rankings. If there are players who I see as virtually equal, it doesn't matter which of them I pick. It's no different than picking one player over another based on bye weeks. Just in case you are interested, there are 5 QBs in my first tier for this draft. I have 1 of them. At TE there is 1 player in my first tier, I have him also. What I owe to our subscribers, to my Footballguys teammates and to myself, is to try and win EVERY league I enter. That's exactly what I do. I don't care if you agree with my decisions or not. I don't care if you agree with my strategy or not. From my experience, the situation dictated to me that the strategy I used will give me the best opportunity to win THIS league. Right or wrong, if that were not the case I would never have used it, period. It's not as if this is an experiment. I have taken part in approximately 200 leagues during my years playing the game and as I said, this strategy has worked for me in the past. Beyond winning a very high profile league and bringing bragging rights to the FBG team, what I hope to accomplish is to demonstrate for our subscribers that sometimes thinking out of the box is the answer in certain situations, and that sometimes strategies dictate that you break away from the other lemmings rather than following the perceived norm. My apologies if you failed to get that point from my previous explanation. If not for "sticking to my convictions" I would have ignored what I felt was the right decision, taken the next best WR/RB and moved on, avoiding all this fall out. The problem being that I'm just too darned competitive to do that. Regardless of how you may perceive it, the success of my season is not based on any one league. I am currently competing in 11 not counting survivor/best ball contests. Obviously I can't win all of them but I will endeavor to win as many as I possibly can. I hope you can understand that. Best of luck to you this season.

Sweet Love said:
Poor, Mark. Guy probably had nothing to do with this..."Wow the guy drafting for footballguys is clearly a jabrone and should be fired ASAP. If I had to guess it would be Mark Wimer, I could spot that guy 2 picks per round and still field a better team than him."
It's not me, but I will point out that I won my Fantasy Sports Trade Association leagues 2 years in a row (2006 and 2007, didn't play last year) - I beat Howard Kamen from USA Today and Matthew Berry from ESPN during 2007. So folks can throw all the mud they want, I've got the trophies on my mantle. LOL. Unlike all the guys who took Steven Jackson in the top 5 last year. LMAO.
Yes Mark, I too have a fairly big mantle that is running out of room. But then what do we know?

Sweet Love said:
Yes Mark, I too have a fairly big mantle that is running out of room. But then what do we know?
We'll just have to get a bigger mantle, I guess...LOL. I'm looking forwards to polishing up my R.E.M. '09 trophy starting in Late December... ;-) :confused:

So folks can throw all the mud they want, I've got the trophies on my mantle. LOL. Unlike all the guys who took Steven Jackson in the top 5 last year. LMAO.
Awesome! Will you come around and share next year if/when you skip on Steven Jackson in all your drafts and he puts up the #1 RB numbers in 2009?ETA: Agree with an earlier poster that you don't make picks in this mock draft based on who you have in other drafts. You can reason all you wish on this mock, imo it's embarrassing.

So folks can throw all the mud they want, I've got the trophies on my mantle. LOL. Unlike all the guys who took Steven Jackson in the top 5 last year. LMAO.
Awesome! Will you come around and share next year if/when you skip on Steven Jackson in all your drafts and he puts up the #1 RB numbers in 2009?
I'll be right here, I've been here since 1999 on staff. And for the record, I HAVE skipped on Steven Jackson in all my drafts and will continue to do so. :unsure: So will you if you want trophies on your mantle come December. LOL.

Awesome! Will you come around and share next year if/when you skip on Steven Jackson in all your drafts and he puts up the #1 RB numbers in 2009?
I'll be right here, I've been here since 1999 on staff. And for the record, I HAVE skipped on Steven Jackson in all my drafts and will continue to do so. :heart: So will you if you want trophies on your mantle come December. LOL.
smug

I don't get why the site that took Steve Slaton over Adrian Peterson isn't taking more heat on this.

Calvin Johnson at #7 overall? 5 WRs in the 1st round and 6 of the top 13 players?

Seems like quite a few strange picks going on here. Also pretty unusual for there to be 9 WRs off the board by the time the 2.12 pick comes up, even in a straight PPR scoring system.

Plenty of reasons not to like Jacobs or Grant at the 2/3 turn. At that point, John likely had to choose between the 10th best WR or grabbing the #1 QB or #1 TE. I probably would have made sure to grab at least 1 WR at that turn, but taking the #1 QB or #1 TE isn't very unusual at all. I don't get the hate for Gonzo either.

Sweet Love said:
Wow, sensitive are we?I wish you the best of luck. However, I think both the Rodgers and Gonzalez picks were flat out bad.Rodgers - I'm not a proponent of waiting on a QB. If the draft falls out to where I end up with Brees, Brady, Manning, Rodgers early, so be it. My problem with this pick is that you stated "I have Brady/Brees on my other FF teams and wanted to diversify..." Seems silly to me; If I have Brady ranked as my #1 QB, I take him over any other QB if he is available. If you had said I think Rodgers will be the #1 B at the end of this year, I would have no issue with the pick.Gonzalez - Slice and dice it any way you want, but you picked a TE at the 24th pick in a league where only 12 are needed to start each week, but a total of 24 RBs and 36 WRs are starting every week. Yeah, you may not have gotten him in the 4th/5th, but you have now put yourself at a serious disadvantage in a league where RBs and WRs would seem to have far higher value. Good luck getting your RB2 and 3 WRs in round 4-8. Had you taken Jacobs/Bowe... instead of Rodgers, this might not have looked so bad.Sorry, but I just don't see the value in going QB/TE in a league with this roster format when your next picks are 48 and 49.

I think one of the things people have a problem with is that part of his reason for picking Rodgers was because he

"has Brady in X amount of leagues and Brees in X amount of leagues and he didn't want to put all his eggs in one basket".....

meaning....he was making picks in this league based on what he has done in other leagues, which really shouldn't factor in.... he says Rodgers is in his first tier, but obviously he has Brady and Brees ranked ahead of him based on his "other drafts that he has done already".....

if Brady is your #1 ranked guy, and you are at a spot in your draft to take a QB and he is available, you take him....you don't pass on him because you have him in too many other leagues....

and obviously people get a little sensitive because of the FBG aspect.........

I don't know...the stupider other people think we are here, the better in my opinion. May not be good for business though.

Sweet Love said:
Wow, sensitive are we?
Not particularly. It's simply amusing that someone could claim they'd spot me 2 picks per round and still somehow field a better team than I would. I was genuinely laughing about that claim. But whatever, it's not my draft that is being criticized. I had fun in the league we drafted together in earlier this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Ultimate Survivor 1 turns out. Good luck to you too. MW

I don't get why the site that took Steve Slaton over Adrian Peterson isn't taking more heat on this.Calvin Johnson at #7 overall? 5 WRs in the 1st round and 6 of the top 13 players?Seems like quite a few strange picks going on here. Also pretty unusual for there to be 9 WRs off the board by the time the 2.12 pick comes up, even in a straight PPR scoring system.Plenty of reasons not to like Jacobs or Grant at the 2/3 turn. At that point, John likely had to choose between the 10th best WR or grabbing the #1 QB or #1 TE. I probably would have made sure to grab at least 1 WR at that turn, but taking the #1 QB or #1 TE isn't very unusual at all. I don't get the hate for Gonzo either.
You hit is on the head Aaron. The reason I didn't take the 10th WR is that there were so many of them in my next tier that I'm banking on at least one of them coming back to me. FWIW, Gates just went off the boad at 4.6, so the TE run is probably on. Neither Rodgers nor Gonzo was going to make it back to me. And why exactly is it that everyone is so down on the top TE in the game? I just don't understand the though process of those who want to make this sound like such a horrible decision?

Sweet Love said:
OOF. :thumbup: Wrong attitude for a staff member. Probably not the way you want to represent yourself on a public board. You're better than this, Mark.

I think one of the things people have a problem with is that part of his reason for picking Rodgers was because he "has Brady in X amount of leagues and Brees in X amount of leagues and he didn't want to put all his eggs in one basket".....meaning....he was making picks in this league based on what he has done in other leagues, which really shouldn't factor in.... he says Rodgers is in his first tier, but obviously he has Brady and Brees ranked ahead of them based on his "other drafts that he has done already".....if Brady is your #1 ranked guy, and you are at a spot in your draft to take a QB and he is available, you take him....you don't pass on him because you have him in too many other leagues....and obviously people get a little sensitive because of the FBG aspect.........
Agreed.......also there is gas dumped onto the fire when writers here start puffing out their chests because others start criticizing their decisions a bit.

I always love the draft criticisms, especially when the draft is 3 rounds old. Lets see how the entire draft shapes up before throwing dirt on the grave...

Before the internet this is how most drafts went.

In a time, long, long ago people used out of date mags and last years stats and their gut to come up with a one of a kind draft list. It wasn't out of the norm to see someone I had ranked #18 go at #3.

It's actually refreshing to see something that doesn't mirror CBS/ESPN/Yahoo's top 50 lists.

The Drew pick is rock solid.

I think the TE move is a good one actually, but I'd rather have Gates.

I think taking the QB there was a mistake - it's the most sloughable position. And to compound it I don't think there's much chance Rogers finishes #1 at the position this year, regardless of league scoring rules. You needed to bite the bullet and take your best available WR there and take whoever was your best available QB with one of your 4/5 picks (Personally I wait even longer to take QBs but I know many don't have the stomach for that).

Users who are viewing this thread