What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So who is breaking out in 2010? (1 Viewer)

ceo3west

Footballguy
Here are some from 2009 who broke out:

P. Sandoval

K. Morales

B. Butler

A. Hill

B. Zobrist

A. Lind

Kemp/Ethier

Z. Grienke

A. Wainwright

J. Johnson

J. Broxton

H. Bell

Who ya got this year? I'll be offering my own opinions in the weeks to come.

Alex Rios
Alexei Ramirez?He plays multiple positions!
At 29, I'm wondering how much upside he still has. He showed significant improvement in BB/K rate but regressed in pretty much every other category. I have him around the bottom of the top ten SS-eligibles and wouldn't feel bad picking him around that spot but I wouldn't overpay based on untapped potential.

Gio Gonzalez

Matt Wieters

Casey McGehee (kind of already broke out in 2009)

Clayton Richard

Travis Snider

Mat Latos

Eephus said:
shut it down said:
Clifton said:
Alex Rios
Alexei Ramirez?He plays multiple positions!
At 29, I'm wondering how much upside he still has. He showed significant improvement in BB/K rate but regressed in pretty much every other category. I have him around the bottom of the top ten SS-eligibles and wouldn't feel bad picking him around that spot but I wouldn't overpay based on untapped potential.
Oh, please disregard. I was just taunting Cliffy.

Travis Snider. Post hype player, just like Adam Lind was. He is going to have a very nice year for the Jays, and I will be targeting him in my auction draft for a buck or two.

Alex Rios stinks, do not touch. It's been like 4 years waiting for him to all of a sudden put the 5 tools together and be a top tier player but he only has gotten worse, do not touch Alex Rios.

Colby Rasmus will see a whole lot of fastballs ahead of Pujols and Holliday and can be had for nothing.

Alex Rios stinks, do not touch. It's been like 4 years waiting for him to all of a sudden put the 5 tools together and be a top tier player but he only has gotten worse, do not touch Alex Rios.
I was being sarcastic. He's been breaking out for half a decade.

Great thread. I'll throw my hat in the ring. Some players have already established themselves - but I see a healthy bump in production and respect for these guys.

Brett Wallace - This years Gordon Beckham?

Howie Kendrick - I've always loved this guy. I always thought power would come, between 12-16 HR's a year. Needs to stay healthy.

Elvis Andrus - if he sees the lead off spot consistently, i can see Reyes numbers. Seriously.

Daniel Hudson - Performed admirably in the majors last year and rose quickly, and unexpectedly, thru the minors.

Mark Rzepcynski (sp?) - I like his name.

Jon Niese - Big curve with control issues. Still, not too much attention payed to him.

Chris Carter - Good BA and great power. Me likey.

Eric Young, Col - Great pedigree. I suspect his BA will suffer greatly in his transition to the majors. Maybe a 2nd half player.

Homer Bailey - meh. kind of a reach but he sure did pout it on in the last few weeks.

Kovax said:
Elvis Andrus - if he sees the lead off spot consistently, i can see Reyes numbers. Seriously.
I'm pretty sure Borbon will be leading off, who I consider another breakout candidate. I'd much rather have him than Ellsbury, given their respective ADP's.

Kovax said:
Great thread. I'll throw my hat in the ring. Some players have already established themselves - but I see a healthy bump in production and respect for these guys.

Brett Wallace - This years Gordon Beckham?

Howie Kendrick - I've always loved this guy. I always thought power would come, between 12-16 HR's a year. Needs to stay healthy.

Daniel Hudson - Performed admirably in the majors last year and rose quickly, and unexpectedly, thru the minors.

Mark Rzepcynski (sp?) - I like his name.

Jon Niese - Big curve with control issues. Still, not too much attention payed to him.

Chris Carter - Good BA and great power. Me likey.

Eric Young, Col - Great pedigree. I suspect his BA will suffer greatly in his transition to the majors. Maybe a 2nd half player.

Homer Bailey - meh. kind of a reach but he sure did pout it on in the last few weeks.
he was a FA in my league in september last year. he had two good matchups the last week of the season so i picked him up. helped me finish 2nd.in september/october he made 7 starts

43.1 IP

4-1

42 H

19 bb

10 ER

42 K

that's not a great WHIP, but OK.

Kovax said:
I'm pretty sure Borbon will be leading off, who I consider another breakout candidate. I'd much rather have him than Ellsbury, given their respective ADP's.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrus start the year batting 9th. For fantasy purposes, that really sucks. Borbon is just a slap-hitting speedster, right? What types of numbers do you see out of Borbon?

Kovax said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Andrus start the year batting 9th. For fantasy purposes, that really sucks. Borbon is just a slap-hitting speedster, right? What types of numbers do you see out of Borbon?
I like the Bill James prediction for him, with one caveat:.308/.358/.404, 85 R, 47 RBI, 7 HR, 42 SB, 13 CS.I don't think he's going to drop down to 75% success rate stealing, I'd keep him at 80%, his approx. rate from his rookie year. Also, Borbon's SBA/walks+singles % was around 40% last year, which is Michael Bourn/Jacoby Ellsbury territory. James' 55 SBA prediction puts Borbon at 32% steals/steal opps.If we use 40% again, wholly possible given that Washington's given him a green light and loves to run, we come up with:54 SB, 14 CS.

Kovax said:
I like the Bill James prediction for him, with one caveat:.308/.358/.404, 85 R, 47 RBI, 7 HR, 42 SB, 13 CS.I don't think he's going to drop down to 75% success rate stealing, I'd keep him at 80%, his approx. rate from his rookie year. Also, Borbon's SBA/walks+singles % was around 40% last year, which is Michael Bourn/Jacoby Ellsbury territory. James' 55 SBA prediction puts Borbon at 32% steals/steal opps.If we use 40% again, wholly possible given that Washington's given him a green light and loves to run, we come up with:54 SB, 14 CS.
Right now the OSB has said that Borbon will hit leadoff and Andrus ninth. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

2010 I would stay safe with a Snyder or Rasmus.

2011 - it's David Freese time. I think he will struggle a little this year and then bust out next year.

Carlos Gonzalez

Brett Wallace

Mike Taylor

Jason Heyward

Travis Snider

Alcides Escobar

Homer Bailey

Derek Holland

Jeremy Hellickson

Cameron Maybin??(doubt it)

Most if not all these guys are all super cheap to acquire, all have super high potential

5time said:
Carlos GonzalezBrett WallaceMike TaylorJason HeywardTravis SniderAlcides EscobarHomer BaileyDerek HollandJeremy HellicksonCameron Maybin??(doubt it) Most if not all these guys are all super cheap to acquire, all have super high potential
I like Escobar for this year. Snider, Wallace and Bailey too. I'm not too sure about Maybin. I haven't really paid too much attention to him - seems like he has really struggled to live up to his potential (or anything close). Obviously Heyward is a consensus for the number 1 hitting prospect. The transition to the bigs is tough so I tend to write off the first year a prospect gets called up. I don't expect him to light it up immediately. I think he'll grow into his potential numbers when he reaches the bigs. Still, I'll be drafting him and sticking him in my minors spot this year. I also try to watch college players who have shown they can adapt to wooden bats very well (Beckham, Longoria). I think Ackley, who the M's are rumored to be trying out at 2B is also someone to keep an eye on.

Balco said:
Billy Butler will only get better and better. He is a true hitter.
:yes: Strongly considering keeping him for this upcoming season.
He doesn't really belong in this thread because he has already had his breakout year. Slower than Greg Luzinski on the basebaths, but that guy is a professional hitter.
Not really, he hit .314 and 13 of his 21 HR's after the all star break. So it was really a half-year breakout, if you will. Hitting 30-35 hr's and hitting .300 would constitute a true breakout year, which will hopefully come this season. :hey:

That fast little shortstop for the Padres.
Everth Cabrera is a SB threat but he's also a threat to be a one category fantasy player. His SO% will limit his AVG ceiling and if he bats in the #8 slot, his R and RBI numbers will be affected. If he can get on base enough to bat leadoff every day, he's worth starting in mixed leagues. SBs tend to get overvalued in NL only leagues so I wouldn't blow my budget on Cabrera.

Everth Cabrera is a SB threat but he's also a threat to be a one category fantasy player. His SO% will limit his AVG ceiling and if he bats in the #8 slot, his R and RBI numbers will be affected. If he can get on base enough to bat leadoff every day, he's worth starting in mixed leagues. SBs tend to get overvalued in NL only leagues so I wouldn't blow my budget on Cabrera.
:goodposting: I caught lightning in a bottle with him last year. He will be a one trick pony next year.

:thumbdown: I caught lightning in a bottle with him last year. He will be a one trick pony next year.
How about Escobar up in Milwaukee. Sounds like he could at least contribute mightily in AVG/SB/R 3 out of 5 ain't bad

:thumbdown: I caught lightning in a bottle with him last year. He will be a one trick pony next year.
How about Escobar up in Milwaukee. Sounds like he could at least contribute mightily in AVG/SB/R 3 out of 5 ain't bad
Not likely to be a plus-contributor is anything but SB. He'll probably eventually be an asset with BA and R, but this season I'd expect modest returns in those categories.

Not likely to be a plus-contributor is anything but SB. He'll probably eventually be an asset with BA and R, but this season I'd expect modest returns in those categories.
...and the way the new regime doesn't let the Brewers run has to be a concern, but that also makes me wonder why they traded for Gomez...unless they just really, really wanted Hardy out.

MAC_32 said:
RockNRolen said:
harryhood said:
...and the way the new regime doesn't let the Brewers run has to be a concern, but that also makes me wonder why they traded for Gomez...unless they just really, really wanted Hardy out.
Yeah, if the Brewers don't let Escobar run then he will have absolutely zero value this year for fantasy purposes. Great D, regardless.

Not really breaking out, but MLB guys that I'm really looking forward to seeing how they play this year:

Delmon Young - finally showed up the 2nd half of the year

Clay Buchholz - another step forward towards being an ace?

BJ Upton - he's been a bit of a mess so far, but has so much potential

Alex Gordon - dude went from being one of the top prospects in all of baseball to injured and crappy

How about Jay Bruce getting his career back on track?
Bruce is a good choice for this thread. His 2009 stats counting stats are unimpressive because he missed half the year due to injury and his AVG was killed by an extremely low BABIP (.222). His K% rate was down a bit last year, which is progress in one problem area from his rookie year. He's also still only 22.He was heavily hyped as a rookie so he won't be dirt cheap if other owners have memories longer than a year. But he's a very good bounceback candidate.

Alex Gordon - dude went from being one of the top prospects in all of baseball to injured and crappy
I think this is the year he falls out of the top 200 picks, and if that's the case I'm buying. Guys with his upside should not be available that late, if he flames out oh well, replace him with a similar talent that you would've drafted instead of him in the first place.

Bruce is a good choice for this thread. His 2009 stats counting stats are unimpressive because he missed half the year due to injury and his AVG was killed by an extremely low BABIP (.222). His K% rate was down a bit last year, which is progress in one problem area from his rookie year. He's also still only 22.He was heavily hyped as a rookie so he won't be dirt cheap if other owners have memories longer than a year. But he's a very good bounceback candidate.
I would agree and have said in other threads that he is a great candidate to put up some big numbers, but I do think he is somewhat limited by his problems against lefties. The stats say that he was somewhat unlucky overall last year, but however bad the fantasy stats say he was against lefties in 09, he looked even worse watching all the games. Do any of you junkies have any good examples of guys who develop into STUDS that still post extreme splits (i.e. can't hit lefties)?

I would agree and have said in other threads that he is a great candidate to put up some big numbers, but I do think he is somewhat limited by his problems against lefties. The stats say that he was somewhat unlucky overall last year, but however bad the fantasy stats say he was against lefties in 09, he looked even worse watching all the games. Do any of you junkies have any good examples of guys who develop into STUDS that still post extreme splits (i.e. can't hit lefties)?
Ryan Howard has a similarly big platoon difference but his vs. RHP numbers are obviously better than Bruce's. Bruce is still young and his vs. LHP sample size is still small. This is a big year for him to determine whether he's headed for a Larry Walker or Ryan Church-like career.

I think this is the year he falls out of the top 200 picks, and if that's the case I'm buying. Guys with his upside should not be available that late, if he flames out oh well, replace him with a similar talent that you would've drafted instead of him in the first place.
I've got him as a potential keeper @ $5. CBS projects him to have a slash line of 0.250/0.339/0.416 with 17 HR, 14 SB, 73 R, 61 RBI. Seems well worth the $5 gamble to me...especially in my league where we score OBP, SLG, R, RBI, SB.

Ryan Howard has a similarly big platoon difference but his vs. RHP numbers are obviously better than Bruce's. Bruce is still young and his vs. LHP sample size is still small. This is a big year for him to determine whether he's headed for a Larry Walker or Ryan Church-like career.
I think the age factor is huge here. He's still a kid with plenty of upside. Obviously this is hugely impacted by playing time (Bruce missed much of the 2nd half with a wrist injury), but he had a much better 2nd half than 1st.

before the all-star break: .207/.283/.441 in ~300 ABs

after the all-star break: .236/.426/.652 in ~ 50 ABs

the one thing that scares me is looking at his home/away splits

home: .265/.349/.565

away: .183/.258/.377

that's a brutal line outside the bandbox that is GABP

Users who are viewing this thread