What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So who is breaking out in 2010? (1 Viewer)

Looking at projected lineups, here are some guys that stand out to me. In many cases, breakouts occur just by volume of at bats.
:lmao:
While batting order position does have a impact on fantasy production, there's risk in overreacting to early lineup projections. Most teams will shuffle their orders all year long.
All a guy needs is a favorable batting position on a team lacking options then have a hot April (Scutaro), I don't emphasize batting order position early in the draft, but later? Hell yea. It's why guys like Maggs, John Baker, and Tejada found their way on one of my deep league rosters.

Looking at projected lineups, here are some guys that stand out to me. In many cases, breakouts occur just by volume of at bats.

CHW - J. Pierre (1st); this team will score a lot of runs, and he is going for next to nothing

ARZ - C. Jackson (1/2); This team will score a lot more runs this year and these guys will be the reason; especially like Jackson, pure hitter

PIT - R. Doumit (4th); I'll take a cheap catcher batting cleanup any day
I like these guys. Also, I have been seeing Milton Bradley as the #3 hitter for SEA. Both players should provide nice value.

Some pitchers I like this year:

-Brett Anderson: Everybody loves this guy and he's not cheap. I think he'll be worth it (and maybe more) though. On ESPN, he's going at pick 133, but his underlying numbers suggest he's legit. He's going after Scott Baker. That shouldn't happen. I look pitchers for pitchers who strike people out, don't walk too many, and can induce ground balls. Anderson showed he can do those things at elite levels last season (esp. in the 2nd half). I think he'll be every bit as good as Tommy Hanson, if not better, but he's going 60 picks later.

-Hiroki Kuroda, Ryan Dempster and Joel Piniero: A couple of older guys that nobody ever gets excited about. All going after the first 180 picks of the draft, but all can really help a pitching staff.

-Tim Hudson: Great at the end of '09. Was inducing an insane number of ground balls. An outstanding candidate to help anchor a staff if you elect to wait for a long time on pitching.

-Masterson, Gio Gonz., Niemann, Rzepczynski: Late round guys I like the best.

-Felipe Paulino: Deep, deep sleeper. Most people see a 6+ ERA, 1.6+ WHIP, and the fact that he'll probably break camp without a spot in the rotation. There are obvious reasons to be uninterested. I see a guy who could really break out if/when he gets back in the rotation. He has an elite K-rate and induces ground balls effectively. Needs to cut down on the walks, of course, but it's not like he's Ian Snell either.

Also, I have been seeing Milton Bradley as the #3 hitter for SEA. Both players should provide nice value.
The guy's breaking out the crazy early this year it seems based on what he's been saying in the press. Every time he opens his mouth I drop his price $1. I understand there's potential value there, but I just don't want to take that ride.

Joel Piniero
He's not with Dave Duncan anymore and he was pretty brutal the 5 years prior to last year. If he turns in one of those he can ruin your staff - what's more likely?
I don't expect him to be as good as last year. Good news is, no one else does either.He's currently the 76th starting pitcher off the board on ESPN drafts.No 7th or 8th starter can ruin a staff. His lifetime ERA (on his brutal career) is 4.39. He's spent a couple of years with Dave Duncan and maybe he's figured some things out. Then again, maybe he'll decide that since Duncan isn't his coach anymore that he'll stop throwing his sinker and he'll start trying to walk everyone. Yes, it's unlikely that Pineiro has completely transformed himself as a pitcher this late, but it happens. Outside of one useful season, Cliff Lee wasn't very good before the age of 30, when he suddenly became one of the best 5 pitchers in baseball. Either way, I don't know how it blows up in your face drafting Pineiro as a 6th-8th starter.

Also, I have been seeing Milton Bradley as the #3 hitter for SEA. Both players should provide nice value.
The guy's breaking out the crazy early this year it seems based on what he's been saying in the press. Every time he opens his mouth I drop his price $1. I understand there's potential value there, but I just don't want to take that ride.
:blackdot: I know. I usually cringe when my "sleepers" start getting ST press. Not Bradley!

Either way, I don't know how it blows up in your face drafting Pineiro as a 6th-8th starter.
165.2 6.36 1.65 That's how - he can do a ton of damage before you have a chance to get him off your roster if you ever put him on. And if you don't ever put him on he's not really breaking out is he?Anyway you weren't talking about blowing up, you were talking about
can really help a pitching staff
. I'd be very cautious with this guy.

Bumping this thread, and wanted to share this annual thread from another message board that is always very helpful.

Will be offering up my own breakout candidates in this thread soon, just now starting to dive into 2010.
That is a nice writeup. Fun to read. Thanks!

-Hiroki Kuroda, Ryan Dempster and Joel Piniero: A couple of older guys that nobody ever gets excited about. All going after the first 180 picks of the draft, but all can really help a pitching staff.

-Tim Hudson: Great at the end of '09. Was inducing an insane number of ground balls. An outstanding candidate to help anchor a staff if you elect to wait for a long time on pitching.

Looking for some more late round stuff like this. Don't really see a thread just for this...so what else do you guys have?

Looking for some more late round stuff like this. Don't really see a thread just for this...so what else do you guys have?
Ted Lilly should be back by mid April, I guess a lot of people aren't in tune with that yet since I had a local draft 5 days ago and got him in round 23.I've found Masterson, J Sanchez, Hughes (probably not anymore), Colby Lewis, Chris Young, and the Dusch late. Unexciting vets like Kuroda, Hudson, Wolf, Harang, Blanton, and the Dumpster too.

If you're going real deep Niese, Gio, Paulino, LeBlanc, and Bonderman.

Not quite as deep but the upside is justified - Aroldis, Matusz, and Mad Max. I missed on all of them though.

Ted Lilly should be back by mid April, I guess a lot of people aren't in tune with that yet since I had a local draft 5 days ago and got him in round 23.I've found Masterson, J Sanchez, Hughes (probably not anymore), Colby Lewis, Chris Young, and the Dusch late. Unexciting vets like Kuroda, Hudson, Wolf, Harang, Blanton, and the Dumpster too.

If you're going real deep Niese, Gio, Paulino, LeBlanc, and Bonderman.

Not quite as deep but the upside is justified - Aroldis, Matusz, and Mad Max. I missed on all of them though.
Westbrook is supposedly back and ready to go, he is a guy you can get with your last pick. I'll be targeting him.

Two SP I like late:

Mat Latos - SD - What's to like: 1. Plays in great pitcher's park 2. Electric stuff - Fastball can hit 98 with wicked movement - all the tools, much less hype 3. Sick record in minors - had a couple of good outings in majors last year. Downside - limited to 150 innings this year

Deep Sleep - Jamie Garcia STL - Former top prospect a couple of years removed from Tommy John surgery. Won 5th spot in Cardinals rotation. Coaching staff is gushing about his spring. With the pitching track record the cards have - I listen - and this guy costs nothing right now.

Two SP I like late:Mat Latos - SD - What's to like: 1. Plays in great pitcher's park 2. Electric stuff - Fastball can hit 98 with wicked movement - all the tools, much less hype 3. Sick record in minors - had a couple of good outings in majors last year. Downside - limited to 150 innings this yearDeep Sleep - Jamie Garcia STL - Former top prospect a couple of years removed from Tommy John surgery. Won 5th spot in Cardinals rotation. Coaching staff is gushing about his spring. With the pitching track record the cards have - I listen - and this guy costs nothing right now.
:goodposting:

-Brett Anderson: Everybody loves this guy and he's not cheap. I think he'll be worth it (and maybe more) though. On ESPN, he's going at pick 133, but his underlying numbers suggest he's legit. He's going after Scott Baker. That shouldn't happen. I look pitchers for pitchers who strike people out, don't walk too many, and can induce ground balls. Anderson showed he can do those things at elite levels last season (esp. in the 2nd half). I think he'll be every bit as good as Tommy Hanson, if not better, but he's going 60 picks later.

-Felipe Paulino: Deep, deep sleeper. Most people see a 6+ ERA, 1.6+ WHIP, and the fact that he'll probably break camp without a spot in the rotation. There are obvious reasons to be uninterested. I see a guy who could really break out if/when he gets back in the rotation. He has an elite K-rate and induces ground balls effectively. Needs to cut down on the walks, of course, but it's not like he's Ian Snell either.
It's looking like Paulino will land that 5th spot in the rotation and he's looking good this spring. I think that makes him a great late round pick.

Matt LaPorta AVG Draft Pos CBS Mixed 260; AL only 145

He will perform at an 8th round pick or better this season. He is a steal in keeper leagues. At 25 years old he is poised for a breakout season and completely flying under the radar.

Think Carlos Quentin 2008

:confused: I like most of this. I also like Ian Kennedy. A former decent prospect gets a full time job in the weak NL West and has had a good-great spring.

I think Nick Johnson could be a sneaky late pick, but I have no idea as to ADP on him.

He's been turning on the ball in the springtime and if he can do that in that park, I think he should easily pop 20 HR with a .400 ob and a ton of runs scored.

I'm actually thinking 30 homers but that might nutty.

I think Nick Johnson could be a sneaky late pick, but I have no idea as to ADP on him.

He's been turning on the ball in the springtime and if he can do that in that park, I think he should easily pop 20 HR with a .400 ob and a ton of runs scored.

It's low. Real low. Like, 200 something. 30 homers is nutty though. Yanks hitting coaches were working on his swing this offseason in an attempt to increase power. He could have a career year, everything's set up for it but the most HR's he's had in a season is 23 (I think, didn't look it up). I think he's a very good bet to out produce his draft position but his ceiling isn't that high. Bet on 90 R's and 15 HR's with a 290 avg, anything else is bonus. I like him more in daily transaction leagues and ones with deep(er) benches/DL's so dealing with his health issues is less problematic.

It's low. Real low. Like, 200 something. 30 homers is nutty though. Yanks hitting coaches were working on his swing this offseason in an attempt to increase power. He could have a career year, everything's set up for it but the most HR's he's had in a season is 23 (I think, didn't look it up). I think he's a very good bet to out produce his draft position but his ceiling isn't that high. Bet on 90 R's and 15 HR's with a 290 avg, anything else is bonus. I like him more in daily transaction leagues and ones with deep(er) benches/DL's so dealing with his health issues is less problematic.
I know, admittedly nutty, but watching him swing in spring training, whatever his injury woes were with the wrist that limited him to 8 hr last year seem over. I saw him turn on a lot of balls with authority and he hits high fly balls, which were the Damon specials, it seems if got the ball high in the air to right CF thats where the real "jet stream" was(also because of the shorter park due to the straightwall scoreboard).30 is crazy, but its a hunch.

I saw Kyle Blanks a few games in spring training. He was hitting everything they threw at him very, very hard.

15 HRs as this guys ceiling, playing 150 games, is equally nutty. I'd say 20 is his floor.

15 HRs as this guys ceiling, playing 150 games, is equally nutty. I'd say 20 is his floor.
15 isn't his ceiling, it's my expectation, and I think a bit of a lofty one. 20's certainly possible but thinking that's his floor is hilarious, he's been in the majors 7 seasons (ignoring his brief 2001 and missing 2007), is past his prime, and has eclipsed that number just once.

I saw Kyle Blanks a few games in spring training. He was hitting everything they threw at him very, very hard.
Was this guy a prospect cuz I never heard of him until drafts this year as he turned up on everyones sleeper list (I dont follow NL West ball as much as some other teams).

Was this guy a prospect cuz I never heard of him until drafts this year as he turned up on everyones sleeper list (I dont follow NL West ball as much as some other teams).
He was a prospect. Did a little bit in the majors last year got shut down with an injury.

Kevin Slowey

Ian Stewart

Daniel Bard

Carlos Gonzalez

Jonathan O'Sanchez - If he puts it together.....look out.

Conor Jackson

He was a prospect. Did a little bit in the majors last year got shut down with an injury.
I had to let him go in my keeper league and I'm terrified I'll regret it. I plan on reaching a bit to get him back.That dude hits balls really, really far.

:lmao: I know. I usually cringe when my "sleepers" start getting ST press. Not Bradley!
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread