What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: 2011 Top 15 Prospects (1 Viewer)

Three guys that are draft eligible in 2011 that haven't gotten much attention are Marc Tyler (liked him before last night, love him after), Mikel LeShoure and Isaiah Pead. I think when draft times comes (probably 2012, but you never know) all three will be considered good or very good prospects.
Leshoure - I nearly pulled the trigger on a trade to draft him with the 1.14 in BYB3. I think he's good, but not great. I have described him as 75% Mendenhall and 25% Michael Bush. He's more nimble, compact, and explosive than Bush, but not as good as Mendenhall in any of those areas. I think he has a big year and comes out. 2nd-4th round is where I expect him to go. He can help an NFL team and maybe even become a relevant FF back. Is he a future star on Sundays? I'd be surprised. Tyler - I have been tracking him since he signed with USC because he was touted as one of the best HS players in the nation. He has flashed talent when given opportunities. The trouble with him has been health. He missed what would've been his true freshman season with a serious injury and subsequently fell way down in the pecking order at USC behind guys like Johnson and McKnight. When healthy, there's a lot to like. He has an NFL frame with enough skills and mobility to possibly become a starter. If he stays healthy and remains productive, there's no reason why he can't emerge as a top 3 back in this draft. Pead - Not with you on this one. I watched Cincy play quite a few times last year because I owned Gilyard in BYB3. I never thought Pead had a future as a top 2 back on an NFL team. He's small and not electric enough to compensate. I would compare him to former Stanford RB Anthony Kimble, who went undrafted and was cut after spending some time in training camp with the Dolphins last season. Pead might be faster, but Jahvid Best he's not. I'll be surprised if he's drafted.

Underclassmen WRs among top 2011 NFL Draft offensive prospects

• UNDERRATED -- Mario Fannin/Auburn: He comes off an uninspired junior season after what was a tremendous sophomore campaign. He's a big-bodied ballcarrier who runs well and has been lethal as a pass catcher at Auburn. If he improves on prior form, Fannin could be the first senior running back selected in the draft.
This statement is a perfect example of why you should take your time to research players and not take a sports writers word as gospel. If 54 rushes for 238yds and 1 TD along with 20 receptions for 223yds and 2 TD qualifies as a "tremendous campaign," I wouldn't give much merit to anything that guy writes.I follow Auburn football very closely and have seen every snap Mario Fannin has played while at Auburn. While Fannin has great size and quickness, he isn't NFL feature back material. Fannin has a history of serious shoulder problems. In fact, the coaching staff moved him from RB to WR after his sophmore season because they didn't think his shoulder could take the pounding of 15+ carries a game. Fannin also had problems with fumbling the ball when he was used a RB. Fannin has been moved from WR back to RB for the upcoming season. This move primarily occurred because Auburn would have only had 2 scholarship RBs (Dyer & McCalleb) on the roster. I would expect Fannin to get 12-14 rushing attempts a game and put up respectable numbers this year. Fannin could make a good 3rd down back in the NFL since he has good hands, but I don't think Fannin is worth owning as a college developmental player in dynasty leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
UGA WR AJ Green is sitting out today as he is evidently under investigation for contact with an agent.

Michael Floyd about to make his 2010 debut, I'm expecting a big performance today. The most athletic of all the talented group of 2011 draft-eligible WRs, Floyd could challenge for the top WR spot come next April (NFL Draft)

UGA WR AJ Green is sitting out today as he is evidently under investigation for contact with an agent.
So the NCAA is making AJ Green sit even though at this point there in inconclusive evidence? Man the NCAA sucks.
The way I read it, it was UGA's call to make him sit, so they would not risk a forfeited game.
So if UGA sits Green, it will prevent the NCAA from suspending Green if the accusations are true?

Derrick Washington "permanently suspended" from Missouri for felony sexual assualt. Not on anyone's top-15 list these days, but it sounds like he might be out of the picture entirely at this point.

So the NCAA is making AJ Green sit even though at this point there in inconclusive evidence? Man the NCAA sucks.
The way I read it, it was UGA's call to make him sit, so they would not risk a forfeited game.
So if UGA sits Green, it will prevent the NCAA from suspending Green if the accusations are true?
No, it will prevent them from having a win vacated because Green played in it. Like the guy that you quoted said. :confused:

No, it will prevent them from having a win vacated because Green played in it. Like the guy that you quoted said. :confused:
O ok. NCAA rules and rulings easily confuse me.

Daniel Thomas looks like a pro back....

Going to be hard to keep him out of the 2011 draft top three RB's

His openng act - 28/234/2 + 2/16

Watched all of Andrew Luck's snaps today vs. Sacramento State. It was a creampuff opponent to be sure, but his performance was sublime. 17/23 for 316 yards and 4 TDs. The highlight was a 50 yard rope that hit WR Doug Baldwin perfectly in stride for an 81 yard TD. If Luck keeps playing this well, the debate about who's the top QB in this draft class will be short-lived.

I also went to the Cal vs. UC Davis game. Not much to get excited about. Shane Vereen looked decent, but true freshman WR/RB Keenan Allen stole the show. He could be a draft prospect down the road as a scat back or slot WR. He will probably have to get bigger to be a featured RB.

From what I saw today

*Blaine Gabbert is not a pro QB - accuracy, decision making, and footwork were all terrible

*Mikel LeShoure is a pro RB, but likely more of a backup/#2 in a committee - lacks difference making ability

*Michael Floyd's worked on his run blocking and it shows, elite WR potential, can't have more drops like he did today though

*Keith Smith is not a pro WR, deep ball tracking is still off and he's soft at the line

*Armando Allen is soft and does not like contact, not a pro prospect

*Quizz is going to be a great RB if he ends up on a team with either/both a good line a/o a good passing game but he is going to have fits if he doesn't have lanes to work with. Not many times I say this, but how much I like him may depend on situaiton.

*James Rodgers = Eddie Royal, he has a future

*Michigan's got a couple of RB's to watch for future years in Michael Shaw and Vincent Smith, loads of talent in both of them

While the stat line wasn't impressive, Ryan Katz, QB from Oregon State sure jumped off the television. Mechanics are beautiful and has a cannon for an arm.

While the stat line wasn't impressive, Ryan Katz, QB from Oregon State sure jumped off the television. Mechanics are beautiful and has a cannon for an arm.
I didn't watch the entire game, but he looked rocky during the second half. He might be big and tall, but he sprays the ball all over the field. 9/25 is not going to cut it.

I didn't watch the entire game, but he looked rocky during the second half. He might be big and tall, but he sprays the ball all over the field. 9/25 is not going to cut it.
To be fair, it was his first real start. The raw tools are there but he did not command the field well and the decision making was poor too. I like the swagger he seemed to carry himself with in the first half, oozed confidence, but as the pressure of the game went on he crumbled.I'll be watching a lot more of him.

Last night was the first time I'd seen a whole game from Jacquizz Rodgers, and I realize TCU has a good defense, but I didn't really see anything from him that jumped out at me.

Last night was the first time I'd seen a whole game from Jacquizz Rodgers, and I realize TCU has a good defense, but I didn't really see anything from him that jumped out at me.
Agree. He made very few miss. He broke a couple tackles, but didn't do much after. Quickness was ok, but didn't stand out. He also looks smaller than I thought he would. The only thing I like was his toughness and willingness to mix it up inside...hardly a positive for a very small back.

thoughts on C. Ponder- QB FSU- as an NFL QB
I like Ponder. I don't see any weakness in his game, but I also haven't seen him standout either. I'm talking about stand out like an elite prospect, not stand out as a very good college player (he has). Right now I would think he would be the 4th or 5th QB off the board next year and would go in the late 2nd - 3rd round.If he has a great season, including some big high profile games, he could certainly move up some, because the skill set seems to be there.

EBF said:
Rodeojones said:
Katz was impressive. You have to realize that this is a true sophomore that was starting his 1st game vs. a top 5 defense. He needs to learn how to tame his arm down, but all young QBs with canon arms need to learn that. One thing that can't be questioned is his ability to make NFL throws. The guy can sling the ball. I liked his feel of the pocket for a guy with such little experience as well. He's a guy I'll be keeping my eye on after seeing him last night.

MAC_32 said:
From what I saw today

*Blaine Gabbert is not a pro QB - accuracy, decision making, and footwork were all terrible

*Mikel LeShoure is a pro RB, but likely more of a backup/#2 in a committee - lacks difference making ability

*Michael Floyd's worked on his run blocking and it shows, elite WR potential, can't have more drops like he did today though

*Keith Smith is not a pro WR, deep ball tracking is still off and he's soft at the line

*Quizz is going to be a great RB if he ends up on a team with either/both a good line a/o a good passing game but he is going to have fits if he doesn't have lanes to work with. Not many times I say this, but how much I like him may depend on situaiton.

*Michigan's got a couple of RB's to watch for future years in Michael Shaw and Vincent Smith, loads of talent in both of them
Shaw possibly, but not Smith. The guy is like 5'6", 175 lbs. He will be a great college back though, IMO. He also is not really 100% back from his ACL tear last year so I think in the future you see more explosiveness from him. I think the Michigan player who might be the best pro prospect at RB is Denard Robinson. I expected great things from him but certainly did not see the game he put up yesterday coming.

MAC_32 said:
From what I saw today

Shaw possibly, but not Smith. The guy is like 5'6", 175 lbs. He will be a great college back though, IMO. He also is not really 100% back from his ACL tear last year so I think in the future you see more explosiveness from him. I think the Michigan player who might be the best pro prospect at RB is Denard Robinson. I expected great things from him but certainly did not see the game he put up yesterday coming.
Robinson will get drafted as a WR, not RB IMO.

MAC_32 said:
From what I saw today

Robinson will get drafted as a WR, not RB IMO.
Yea thats a good possibilty. It will depend on the team that drafts him I guess. He is electric that is for sure.

It was nice to see Rueben Randel play well at LSU. Highly touted recruit had a good first game of the season.

Do I dare mention DeMarco Murray's performance??? I didn't see the game...so I don't know how he played...but impressive statline.

Anyone watch Locker play last night?

Saw the stat line; based on that and some tweets, looked/sounded pretty inaccurate.

Anyone watch Locker play last night?Saw the stat line; based on that and some tweets, looked/sounded pretty inaccurate.
Didn't watch the game, but read some comments that suggested the same thing. People said he looked like the exact same guy he has been throughout his career: an inconsistent passer who struggles with accuracy and decision making. It's early yet and he still has time to improve, but he sure sounds like a more hyped up version of a Whitehurst or Losman. He might have cost himself a lot of money by skipping the draft this past year. One more mediocre passing season will cause teams to question whether or not he'll ever develop in that department. He'll still get drafted high on physical tools alone barring total collapse though.Mallett and Luck both had much better days, albeit against inferior competition. I thought Luck would wait until 2012 to declare for the draft, but if he ends up being the consensus #1 pick then it might be hard to come back for another season.

I saw some of the DeMarco Murray stuff goin on a page or so back, so here's my insight:

D looked great last night. I was down on the field for a while pregame, and he was talking about how he though he finally figured out how to stay behind his blocks but still get up to full speed.

As kickoff came up my group did our Scholarship recognition at midfield and then went to the front few rows with the rest of the student body...and D looked GREAT. A couple plays still when he got a bit too antsy and ran into a blocker, but he sure looked explosive most of the night. Some great lateral cuts, and he made a nice cutback on his long TD run before cutting it again across a LB to the outside. Really nice play...blocked well enough for an 8 yarder, ran for like 65 iirc.

I think he could be building a HUGE name for himself this season.

Ryan Broyles looked great too. He's got some serious ability to create separation with his quicks, and he looked bigger than last year. He's a guy that just seems to make plays every single time he gets the ball.

For those that didn't get to see Kendall Hunter's 21/257/4 performance yesterday against Washington State (yes, I know they are bad):

!. Hunter played one series into the second half and then Gundy pulled him (to protect Barry's single-game rushing record???).They only show 6 of his 21 rushing attempts. Below are the times in the video so you don't have to watch the entire 15 minute video.

1:55

5:50

7:58

8:27

9:32

10:46

Sure looks to me like he's healthy again after hardly playing his Junior season and putting up 1500+ his sophomore season. Local OU media seem to be impressed also: OSU tailback Kendall Hunter isn't Barry Sanders, but he's close

I saw some of the DeMarco Murray stuff goin on a page or so back, so here's my insight:D looked great last night. I was down on the field for a while pregame, and he was talking about how he though he finally figured out how to stay behind his blocks but still get up to full speed. As kickoff came up my group did our Scholarship recognition at midfield and then went to the front few rows with the rest of the student body...and D looked GREAT. A couple plays still when he got a bit too antsy and ran into a blocker, but he sure looked explosive most of the night. Some great lateral cuts, and he made a nice cutback on his long TD run before cutting it again across a LB to the outside. Really nice play...blocked well enough for an 8 yarder, ran for like 65 iirc.I think he could be building a HUGE name for himself this season.Ryan Broyles looked great too. He's got some serious ability to create separation with his quicks, and he looked bigger than last year. He's a guy that just seems to make plays every single time he gets the ball.
Murray has a ton of ability. He needs to stay healthy more than anything else.

Murray is garbage. His long TD run was the result of a gaping lane.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5534822&a...egoryid=2564308

Broyles...we'll see. I'm curious how fast he is. He's not a big guy, so he'll need to show some speed in workouts. The production is there, but it's only college and this is the same offense that made Mark Clayton look like Jerry Rice.

Broyles...we'll see. I'm curious how fast he is. He's not a big guy, so he'll need to show some speed in workouts. The production is there, but it's only college and this is the same offense that made Mark Clayton look like Jerry Rice.
I wouldn't go so far as to write him off as garbage.....he has too much talent. It's a health question IMO

i would compare next years prospects to current players like this:Ingram-Shonn GreenJ Jones-Dwyane BoweBaldwin-Calvin JohnsonGreen- Sidney RiceMurrey- Steve SlatonBroyles-Eddie RoyalRoyster- Arian FosterDivine-
I think Ingram is more like J. Stewart than S. Green. Baldwin is more like M. Colston than C. Johnson. Divine is similar to D. Sproles.
i was about to write sproles for divine, then i guess i got distracted

I wouldn't go so far as to write him off as garbage.....he has too much talent. It's a health question IMO
He is saying all the right things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBOnopnARrk

MAC_32 said:
From what I saw today

He'll never be a starter, but after he gets his explosion back I think he'll show that he's got a place in the NFL. Guy's electric.

Green sitting out three more games now. Apparently the NCAA has found that he sold a game-worn jersey to an "agent" for $1,000.00. Don't know why that wouldn't be a permanent suspension if true, but that's what the report said.

What are people's take on the 2011 class vs the 2012 class. I already have three 2011 first rounders and two 2012 first rounders, but may have the opportunity to add more to one of those years. I like the depth of the 2011 class, but I'm afraid the looming lockout may sway some on-the-fence prospects to stay in school. Even if the class is still deep, there is the matter of potentially losing out on OTAs, training camps, etc to get a better read on those players.

My gut says to get as many 2011 firsts as possible, but my brain says to hedge my bets and look toward 2012 or even beyond.

Any Texas or Big 12 homers with any thoughts on Texas Jr. WR Malcolm Williams?I know this is all just small bits and pieces of info, but from what I can see here he looks to be a player worth tracking. With the loss of Shipley and the switch to a better pure passing QB, he could have a big year. Any thoughts from someone with more info?
Definitely a player worth tracking. Great size. Looking forward to watching him play more this year. I really like the depth of the receiving class. Some very nice players.
The issue with Williams is that he drops way too many passes. He's got great size, etc. but that's definitely a concern with him.

Just left the stadium, and I fell I need to say right away that Ryan Broyles is going to be an NFL receiver.

Best Case Scenario: Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt

Probable: Derrick Mason or Donald Driver

He has amazing hands and incredible route running for a college athlete. Just watching the attention a defense gives him and then seeing him find holes and make plays anyway is amazing to watch. On the 36 yard TD in the 2nd quarter, he beats his guy off the line and gets a step on the double coverage. Safety has to come inside to help over the top, and the TE gets open on a corner route that ends up in a TD.

Early in the game, we're standing on the sideline and OU is in the redzone. The FSU defense appears to audible, and the corner backs off a few yards, giving Broyles a 10 yard cushion. He explodes off the line, starts a perfect post pattern which moves the safety help, and then cuts into the corner for a beautiful TD catch.

His footwork is incredible. Every week I like this guy more and more. Some of it is obviously the bias of seeing a guy in person, but man am I excite for his pro prospects. He may not come out this year with Green, Jones, Floyd, but if he does he's definitely a guy I want on my teams.

Anyone watch Locker play last night?Saw the stat line; based on that and some tweets, looked/sounded pretty inaccurate.
Didn't watch the game, but read some comments that suggested the same thing. People said he looked like the exact same guy he has been throughout his career: an inconsistent passer who struggles with accuracy and decision making. It's early yet and he still has time to improve, but he sure sounds like a more hyped up version of a Whitehurst or Losman. He might have cost himself a lot of money by skipping the draft this past year. One more mediocre passing season will cause teams to question whether or not he'll ever develop in that department. He'll still get drafted high on physical tools alone barring total collapse though.Mallett and Luck both had much better days, albeit against inferior competition. I thought Luck would wait until 2012 to declare for the draft, but if he ends up being the consensus #1 pick then it might be hard to come back for another season.
I was at the game and I disagree. Locker sailed a few throws, as he's been prone to do because of his cannon arm. I think this is fixable. receivers also dropped a few balls. Most impressive is that he made some NFL throws that few make. Some beautiful 15-20 yard outs that were only catchable by the WR.The troubling aspect is that BYU often only rushed 3 and Jake didn't know how to take advantage of it. To his credit, he didn't force the ball into coverage. But the lack of tutelage shows. Which is why I think his upside is Steve Young. A QB that needs a few years on the bench before he really takes off.Watching today's game, Jake has already made some sick throws. On one, he scrambled to his left on 3rd and 11+ and still had enough mustard on the ball to throw across his body and hit the WR perfectly on the sideline. On another, he threw a 15-yard out from the oppossite hashmarks.

It's not the same offense. It's changed quite a bit over the past several years.That said, Broyles aint't gonna put up a good time. I'd seriously doubt he breaks 4.55. But he's a really good player, maybe even a bit better than Clayton. Still, he'll have to fall into the perfect situation to produce at a meaningful level in the NFL, imo.

Just left the stadium, and I fell I need to say right away that Ryan Broyles is going to be an NFL receiver. Best Case Scenario: Marvin Harrison or Torry HoltProbable: Derrick Mason or Donald DriverHe has amazing hands and incredible route running for a college athlete. Just watching the attention a defense gives him and then seeing him find holes and make plays anyway is amazing to watch. On the 36 yard TD in the 2nd quarter, he beats his guy off the line and gets a step on the double coverage. Safety has to come inside to help over the top, and the TE gets open on a corner route that ends up in a TD.Early in the game, we're standing on the sideline and OU is in the redzone. The FSU defense appears to audible, and the corner backs off a few yards, giving Broyles a 10 yard cushion. He explodes off the line, starts a perfect post pattern which moves the safety help, and then cuts into the corner for a beautiful TD catch.His footwork is incredible. Every week I like this guy more and more. Some of it is obviously the bias of seeing a guy in person, but man am I excite for his pro prospects. He may not come out this year with Green, Jones, Floyd, but if he does he's definitely a guy I want on my teams.
I saw your Murray comments from Utah State; any additional impressions after the FSU game? This was my first time watching him. I was impressed by his hands. He had a very nice catch after lining up wide and elevated to haul it in outside his frame; nice grab, and they split him out in the formation. This may have been Ponder's worst game ever. He looked confused and uncomfortable. He rushed and made very poor decisions. OU's packages clearly had him off balance. Great job by them against a top ten OL group.

EBF...when you gonna put out your WR rankings?
I don't usually put out any preliminary rankings until later in the season. I don't have a ton to say about the WRs right now. I don't see a Dez Bryant or Michael Crabtree in this group, but there are some guys with first round potential and some good sleeper picks. I tend to think this group is a little overhyped as a whole. I'm not really on board with Green/Floyd/Baldwin/Julio all being as good as guys like Dez or Crabtree. Having said that, it would be nice if Green was playing so that I could watch some of his games. I'll have to wait a few more weeks.

I watched every snap of Stanford vs. UCLA. After last week I thought that Andrew Luck might clearly be the best draft-eligible QB in the country. After this week I'm a little less convinced. He had a spotty day at the office. Here's my breakdown of his performance:

Negatives

Accuracy - Started the game with three straight incompletions on the opening drive. He had moments of brilliance including two or three brilliantly placed passes, but missed too many open targets overall. When he misses, he tends to sail the ball high.

Positives

Decision-making - While he didn't hit every open target, I can only recall 1 or 2 plays where Luck made a bad decision. He almost always makes the right read and displays a unique ability to improvise when plays break down. In this latter regard he reminds me a little bit of Ben Roethlisberger.

Mobility - Luck isn't a blazer, but he's good at sensing open spaces and picking up large chunks of yardage with his legs.

Poise - Doesn't seem to get rattled in the pocket and has the right kind of internal clock to either get rid of the ball or take off running. Even when his accuracy is off, he doesn't look rattled and you almost never see him holding the ball for too long, which is a huge plus.

Overall, I'd say there's a lot to like. He does many of the intangible things well and seems to have an elite mental make-up for the position. What I want to see moving forward is better accuracy and better playmaking in the clutch. He gets another cupcake next weekend against Wake Forest, but upcoming tilts against Oregon, Notre Dame, and USC will tell us a lot about where is in his development and whether or not he's really ready to be a candidate for the 2011 draft.

Miscellaneous observations and thoughts:

- I watched most of the Oregon/Tennessee game until it got out of hand. Vols RB Tauren Poole made my preseason watchlist and you shouldn't forget his gritty 100+ yard performance in this losing effort. He doesn't have flashy physical talent, but he has power, balance, and footwork. I don't see him ever becoming a super elite prospect, but he's a guy who could make an NFL team. Tennessee has a great tradition at RB.

- LaMichael James. I've been lukewarm on this kid because of his rail thin frame. His long TD run will make a lot of highlight reels and while it was a nice play, it was really as simple as reversing fields and outrunning the defense. He did well to keep his balance, but I wouldn't say it was an incredible. Still, he looks a little bit bulkier this year and he has an explosive first step. I see a little bit of Felix Jones here. Whether or not he has the same vision, elusiveness, and growth potential remains to be seen. No doubt that he belongs on the radar though.

- Trent Richardson is the best RB in college football. The way his body is constructed has blessed him with incredible balance. He can shrug off massive hits and keep running because his base is so solid that it's very difficult to knock him off balance. If you're a rebuilding dynasty team for 2-3 years down the road, go out and get this guy. He's the next top 10 pick at RB. Complete beast. Slam-dunk workhorse back if he stays healthy.

- Locker and Mallett had great statistical days. I didn't watch either game. Don't expect the Luck/Locker/Mallett debate to be settled any time soon. 2-3 months from now we might have a clear favorite. Not today (although I'm high on Luck for reasons explained above).

- Auburn RB Mario Fannin made my preseason watchlist. Fuhgeddaboutit. He's been invisible for them. Meanwhile...

- USC RB Marc Tyler has seemingly leapfrogged Allen Bradford on the depth chart. This is the second straight game in which he has been the unquestioned top back for the Trojans. As mentioned earlier, he's one to keep an eye on.

- Illinois RB Mikel Leshoure and Syracuse RB Delone Carter continue to produce solid results despite a lack of attention and fanfare. Both have legitimate NFL potential.

- Virginia Tech RB Ryan Williams hasn't done much thus far in 2010. It's still way too early to start severely downgrading him though.

Users who are viewing this thread