#1 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Obama took to the stump today to lash out at his critics and claimed that they are celebrating the rising gas prices. He pointed out that oil production since he became President has nearly quadrupled under his watch, and it lowered under Bush. He went on to say that we can't lower prices by increased drilling, and anyone who says otherwise is not telling the truth. "There is no silver bullet," he says. Is he right?
Unless otherwise stated, any comment or statement I make is strictly MY OPINION, and should not be taken as an implication of fact, no matter how definitive it sounds. I speak for no one but myself.

#2 footballnerd

footballnerd

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,377 posts
  • Joined 01-October 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

not sure, but gas prices will always go up in the summer

#3 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,412 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I dunno, couple years ago I was told it was Bush and Cheney helping their oil buddies.. :shrug:
In memory of Shining Path.. RIP...

#4 Borat

Borat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,027 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

No

#5 BigSteelThrill

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,881 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yes. Because as you increase our output then the middle eastern oil bloc simply lower theirs.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

~John Galbraith~

#6 Tuco

Tuco

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 932 posts
  • Joined 22-March 10

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Anyone who disagrees with him is wrong. Just ask him.

#7 matuski

matuski

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11,234 posts
  • Joined 16-October 05
  • Interests:killing threads

Not a damn thing we can do about it.

#8 Bottomfeeder Sports

Bottomfeeder Sports

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,384 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Is he right?

Probably. Historically the nations that export oil control the supply to maintain price. ETA: And if they don't, what happened to the domestic oil producers in the '80's when oil became cheap?

Edited by Bottomfeeder Sports, 23 February 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#9 hook014

hook014

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Joined 01-December 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

2 days ago Goldman Sachs released a statement warning about rampant oil speculation and questioning whether supply and demand were even a factor. When Goldman starts covering their butt in anticipation of a major price spike you know things are dirty. Holder is a disaster as an AG. No one fears him cause he does nothing. He truly is a potted plant.

#10 loose circuits

loose circuits

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Joined 20-October 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Has Obama ever been well versed in economic theory? Not sure he knows the definition of supply & demand

If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses?

Jeremiah 12:5

#11 shader

shader

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10,935 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

If oil doesn't come down soon, the recession is directly around the corner. I think it's pretty clear that oil moves pretty independently of who is president in the US. Think it's bad here? Brent is at an all time high in euros.

#12 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Has Obama ever been well versed in economic theory? Not sure he knows the definition of supply & demand

I'm not sure I understand it either when it comes to oil. Oil seems to be impervious to basic economic supply and demand rules.
Unless otherwise stated, any comment or statement I make is strictly MY OPINION, and should not be taken as an implication of fact, no matter how definitive it sounds. I speak for no one but myself.

#13 Dexter

Dexter

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,643 posts
  • Joined 12-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

Has Obama ever been well versed in economic theory?

Not sure he knows the definition of supply & demand

If only it were that simple.
There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

#14 Bottomfeeder Sports

Bottomfeeder Sports

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,384 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

:lmao:

#15 hxperson

hxperson

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,024 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Are some of you really that ignorant about what is going on in Iran and Libya right now, and the concept of OPEC?
PSN: Ryodan5
XBL: Ryodan5

#16 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

Newt Gingrich, like Michelle Bachmann before him, pledged to bring gas prices below 2.50 per gallon if he is elected. But I don't understand how he will accomplish this.

#17 ceo3west

ceo3west

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3,877 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Newt Gingrich, like Michelle Bachmann before him, pledged to bring gas prices below 2.50 per gallon if he is elected. But I don't understand how he will accomplish this.

Newt is desperate and will say anything to get attention at this point.
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
- Bob Weir

#18 Parrothead

Parrothead

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,412 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Newt is desperate and Politicians will say anything to get attention elected at this point.

fixed... you want a politician to tell it to you straight, elect Ron Paul.. otherwise, they are all liars :thumbdown:
In memory of Shining Path.. RIP...

#19 hook014

hook014

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Joined 01-December 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Are some of you really that ignorant about what is going on in Iran and Libya right now, and the concept of OPEC?

Prince Faud has said repeatedly over the last 5 yrs that he would like gas prices in the US to be between 2.50 and 2.75. The price that his advisors have assured him would preclude any forays into alternative energy. Who can forget him walking hand in hand with Bush telling the American public to fix their own house? At this point I believe him more than any shill on Wall st. Supply and demand arguments have been immaterial for years.

#20 PlasmaDogPlasma

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,521 posts
  • Joined 07-December 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Prince Faud has said repeatedly over the last 5 yrs that he would like gas prices in the US to be between 2.50 and 2.75. The price that his advisors have assured him would preclude any forays into alternative energy. Who can forget him walking hand in hand with Bush telling the American public to fix their own house? At this point I believe him more than any shill on Wall st. Supply and demand arguments have been immaterial for years.

More recently the Saudis have indicated to other OPEC members that they think $100/barrel is a good number. They've made promises to increase production to meet any shortfall from Iran.

#21 hook014

hook014

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Joined 01-December 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

More recently the Saudis have indicated to other OPEC members that they think $100/barrel is a good number. They've made promises to increase production to meet any shortfall from Iran.

The Saudis have consistently dealt with projectable numbers designed to calm business markets. Yet they get no credit because we can't rein our people in. Hence my utter contempt for Eric Holder.

#22 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

The Saudis have consistently dealt with projectable numbers designed to calm business markets. Yet they get no credit because we can't rein our people in. Hence my utter contempt for Eric Holder.

Not sure I understand you here. What specifically would you like Holder to do?

#23 Thunderlips

Thunderlips

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5,436 posts
  • Joined 06-November 04

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Don't really think so. It would make sense for OPEC to decline their production as soon as we increased ours.
To all my love slaves out there...THUNDERLIPS is here...in the flesh baby!!!!

XBOX: SCUTTFARKAS

#24 E Street Brat

E Street Brat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,320 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

In 2008 Barack Obama told us he liked gasoline prices at $4 per gallon. Obama thought that along with destroying the coal industry, high oil prices would push us to use less energy and to drive electric cars and travel more by bicycle. In December 2008, when Obama was putting together his White House team, Dr. Steven Chu was selected to become Secretary of Energy. Prior to the General Election, Chu was even more enthusiastic about raising gasoline prices than was Obama, "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," Mr. Chu, who directs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in September. http://m.lubbockonli...-obama’s-plan
Some call it "Bluegrass"
We call it Murder!

The Pine Box Boys

#25 loose circuits

loose circuits

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Joined 20-October 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yes. Because as you increase our output then the middle eastern oil bloc simply lower theirs.

so they end up with far less revenue/profit...why is that a bad thing?

If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses?

Jeremiah 12:5

#26 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

How does it help us?

#27 pittstownkiller

pittstownkiller

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,741 posts
  • Joined 30-August 10

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Obama did more today to raise the price of oil than to combat it. Even the appearance that the Administration is going to open up drilling will stir the speculators and prices would fall; instead the President speech pandering to all sides causes doubt that will fuel speculation. His message that the other side applauds bad news is comical, when just after he made this statement, he goes on to say that anyone thinking we're going to drill our way out of this mess is clueless, which was followed by applause from the crowd. :lmao:
[/quote]

#28 PlasmaDogPlasma

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,521 posts
  • Joined 07-December 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

It might not be. In reality though it would be almost entirely Saudi Arabia lowering production because most of the other OPEC countries can't afford to.

#29 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

In 2008 Barack Obama told us he liked gasoline prices at $4 per gallon. Obama thought that along with destroying the coal industry, high oil prices would push us to use less energy and to drive electric cars and travel more by bicycle. In December 2008, when Obama was putting together his White House team, Dr. Steven Chu was selected to become Secretary of Energy. Prior to the General Election, Chu was even more enthusiastic about raising gasoline prices than was Obama, "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," Mr. Chu, who directs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in September.

http://m.lubbockonli...%E2%80%99s-plan

Assuming that this was their goal, why did oil production actually nearly quadruple under their watch? That doesn't make any sense.

#30 hook014

hook014

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Joined 01-December 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Don't really think so. It would make sense for OPEC to decline their production as soon as we increased ours.

OPec yes, Saudis no. They talk about shared goals often but flout production levels all the time. And their business partners understand the political realities they face. It's a long term strategy designed to help all of opec partners. Honestly, since the early 70's when OPEC was formed and these countries started flexing their economic muscle the Saudis have been more than reasonable in smoothing out the rough edges. There's reason our politicians never have a bad word for them, they dont deserve it.

#31 MTskibum

MTskibum

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 316 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
  • Interests:Fishing, Skiing, Hiking, Hunting, Video Games, Do It Yourself home upgrades, Golfing, and of course Fishing.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

It would be tough to lower gas prices with more drilling. All of the cheap oil has already been drilled and is being produced. I am working as a petroleum engineer up in north dakota, one of the hottest places for new oil production. These wells have millions of dollars worth of costs associated with them that oil wells in years past did not have. They drill down to the reservoir, then they drill horizontally through the reservoir for 2-3 miles. This horizontal drilling is not cheap as it effectively doubles the drilling time. Even after a wells exposing 2 miles of reservoir the well will not produce very much oil, it has to be fracked, and fracking greatly increases the cost of the well. To greatly ramp up oil production means we will be drilling in more remote areas, that require even more expensive technology. America can produce alot of oil at 100 dollars a barrrel, but we are running out of the cheap stuff.

Edited by MTskibum, 23 February 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#32 E Street Brat

E Street Brat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,320 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

In 2008 Barack Obama told us he liked gasoline prices at $4 per gallon. Obama thought that along with destroying the coal industry, high oil prices would push us to use less energy and to drive electric cars and travel more by bicycle. In December 2008, when Obama was putting together his White House team, Dr. Steven Chu was selected to become Secretary of Energy. Prior to the General Election, Chu was even more enthusiastic about raising gasoline prices than was Obama, "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," Mr. Chu, who directs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in September.

Assuming that this was their goal, why did oil production actually nearly quadruple under their watch? That doesn't make any sense.

First there is nothing to assume. He said it.
Some call it "Bluegrass"
We call it Murder!

The Pine Box Boys

#33 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

OK. But how would you answer my question?

#34 MTskibum

MTskibum

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 316 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
  • Interests:Fishing, Skiing, Hiking, Hunting, Video Games, Do It Yourself home upgrades, Golfing, and of course Fishing.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Oil wells are permitted and planned out years in advance. The oil wells being drilled now were permitted under a republican president.

#35 humpback

humpback

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,695 posts
  • Joined 18-February 10

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'll answer your question- oil production hasn't nearly quadrupled under their watch, not even close.

#36 glumpy

glumpy

breeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,464 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

...he says that we can't lower prices by increased drilling, and anyone who says otherwise is not telling the truth...

I think he's right--because the program Sucks. The oil companies sell our oil to China and then we buy it for inflated prices from somewhere else. The oil companies are no longer American--why the hell do we want to give them more of our oil?? :hot:
-~- S -~- L -~- O -~- W -~-

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

"If you don't like the way I'm living--you just leave this long-haired country boy alone."

#37 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

Oil wells are permitted and planned out years in advance. The oil wells being drilled now were permitted under a republican president.

It still doesn't really answer the question. Whatever Obama's motivations were, we have more drilling now than we did when he took office. Yet oil prices keep rising. This at least suggests that there is no correlation between increased oil drilling and prices, no?

#38 timschochet

timschochet

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78,156 posts
  • Joined 17-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I'll answer your question- oil production hasn't nearly quadrupled under their watch, not even close.

I saw that figure reported on CNN. Do you have information which suggests otherwise?

#39 E Street Brat

E Street Brat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,320 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Because he can't mandated ME oil output from Washington, like he can mandate the gulf of Mexico drilling would be my guess.
Some call it "Bluegrass"
We call it Murder!

The Pine Box Boys

#40 Sarnoff

Sarnoff

Footballguy

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16,524 posts
  • Joined 21-March 09

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

anyone who says otherwise is not telling the truth.

Is he right?

You should note in his speech he also said, "In fact, we have always been at war with Eastasia."

#41 MTskibum

MTskibum

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 316 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

It still doesn't really answer the question. Whatever Obama's motivations were, we have more drilling now than we did when he took office. Yet oil prices keep rising. This at least suggests that there is no correlation between increased oil drilling and prices, no?

I thought i covered this in a previous post. It costs more to produce oil now. Horizontal drilling, fracking, deeper depths, and drilling into geothermic regions that require expensive drilling fluid systems.

Not to mention new regulations on cleaning up and disposing drill cuttings that didnt exist a decade ago.

All of these add to the cost of oil.

#42 Bottomfeeder Sports

Bottomfeeder Sports

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18,384 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

... like he can mandate the gulf of Mexico drilling would be my guess.

The president can order international corporations to drill for oil?

#43 bigbottom

bigbottom

I put on my robe and wizard hat

• Members.
  • Pip
  • 34,070 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Does anyone know what percentage of our domestic drilling is exported overseas?

Edited by bigbottom, 23 February 2012 - 06:39 PM.

Link to all bigbottom, BF83 and Popagandist mp3s and videos.

#44 E Street Brat

E Street Brat

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8,320 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

... like he can mandate the gulf of Mexico drilling would be my guess.

The president can order international corporations to drill for oil?

Actually I was talking about the drilling being shut down after the bp spill. But he can order insurance company's on what they have to provide, so he probably thinks he can.
Some call it "Bluegrass"
We call it Murder!

The Pine Box Boys

#45 Slapdash

Slapdash

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 16,494 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

New here?

#46 hook014

hook014

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Joined 01-December 03

Not sure I understand you here. What specifically would you like Holder to do?

Announce in the WSJ that his office was going to look hard into the oil markets and prosecute any speculators that were guilty of wrong doing or the appearance of market manipulation. The threat of investigation is more than enough to dampen enthusiasm in market manipulation. Look at it this way, as a small business man just the threat of an IRS audit is enough to make a crooked man fly straight. A clean operation pays a lot to get thru the process so it's expensive either way. Inviting that cost? Foolhardy. So he wakes up every morning with this power, given by the citizenry to protect their interests and he does nothing. Potted plant.

#47 humpback

humpback

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,695 posts
  • Joined 18-February 10

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

I saw that figure reported on CNN. Do you have information which suggests otherwise?

Try googling US Oil production by year. Or, use common sense- does it sound right to you that we've quadrupled the amount of oil produced in just 3 years?

Edited by humpback, 23 February 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#48 Slapdash

Slapdash

Footballguy

• FBG Apps Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 16,494 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Try googling US Oil production by year. Or, use common sense- does it sound right to you that we've quadrupled the amount of oil produced in just 3 years?

Quit arguing with yourself ;)

#49 urbanhack

urbanhack

Fight The Power!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37,860 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Does anyone know what percentage of our domestic drilling is exported overseas?

If it's too much, it's Holder's fault.

City living and consumerism is, at its essence, unamerican.

..::sp::..

#50 humpback

humpback

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6,695 posts
  • Joined 18-February 10

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

Quit arguing with yourself ;)

That was odd!

Here Tim, I'll do the work for you.