#1 Bengalsfan

Bengalsfan

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 751 posts
  • Joined 22-April 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

The long time sports editor of the state paper tweeted today that Steve Mariucci is interested in the open Arkansas position. Thoughts?

#2 honky kong

honky kong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,501 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03
  • Interests:you

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I think they'd initially get a bump in recruiting but coaches who go from the pros to college (and not a Saban type that goes from college to the pros and back to college) don't have the best track record.

#3 PlasmaDogPlasma

PlasmaDogPlasma

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15,407 posts
  • Joined 07-December 07

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

I think they'd initially get a bump in recruiting but coaches who go from the pros to college (and not a Saban type that goes from college to the pros and back to college) don't have the best track record.

Mooch coached Cal.

#4 honky kong

honky kong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,501 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Mooch coached Cal.

Yes, for one season. He's a pro coach.

#5 gump

gump

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,755 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thoughts?

I think, while it may take a year, Arky can do better than a coach who's been out of the game for 7 years, and out of the college game for 15 years. He's a big name, but Arky should be able to recruit well anyway. If I were an Arky fan, I'd want a younger, hungrier coach in college now.
Reporter: "What'd you major in at Alabama, Joe...Basketweaving?"
Namath: "No, man...Journalism. It was easier."

#6 Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Nittany Beavers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14,336 posts
  • Joined 17-April 03
  • Interests:Doctor Who
    Angry Birds
    Tim Horton's coffee

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

The long time sports editor of the state paper tweeted today that Steve Mariucci is interested in the open Arkansas position. Thoughts?

Does Mooch have a motorcycle and can him a Brett Favre ride on it together?

Please pay attention to Tom Servo. He pretty much decides what flies around here and what doesn't. HTH.

Tom Servo showing everyone how things are supposed to be done around these parts.

Formerly wrestled as La Parka: Mexican National Light Heavyweight CHAMPION (4 times) - WWA Lightweight CHAMPION (2 times) - CMLL World Tag Team CHAMPION - IWL World Heavyweight CHAMPION - IWC World Heavyweight CHAMPION - AAA Latin American CHAMPION - IWC World Hardcore CHAMPION

#7 NJDawgPound

NJDawgPound

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2,353 posts
  • Joined 24-February 09

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

Mooch coached Cal.

I know my opinion is probably different than those parents down south who breathe college football, but I would seek out a coach like Mariucci that runs pro style systems to make it easy for my son to hopefully transition to the NFL.

#8 gump

gump

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13,755 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

Mooch coached Cal.

I know my opinion is probably different than those parents down south who breathe college football, but I would seek out a coach like Mariucci that runs pro style systems to make it easy for my son to hopefully transition to the NFL.

Thats risky in the SEC West. Arky had success doing things differently than Alabama and LSU (although not head to head with them). Auburn is transitioning from Malzahn's offense to a pro style, and has no personnel in place to fit it.
Reporter: "What'd you major in at Alabama, Joe...Basketweaving?"
Namath: "No, man...Journalism. It was easier."

#9 Da Guru

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29,258 posts
  • Joined 28-June 03

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

Just found this old picture of Mooch and Tom Izzo They did pretty well for a couple of guy from a small town in the UP. http://guyism.com/wp...ci-tom-izzo.jpg

Edited by Da Guru, 16 April 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#10 honky kong

honky kong

Footballguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7,501 posts
  • Joined 14-April 03

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Mooch coached Cal.

That's the pitch that these types of coaches use that get them a recruiting bump in their first season or two, and then the returns start coming in. It's a different game between college and the pros. Pete Carroll obviously had great success at USC but for every Carroll there's a Dave Wannstedt, Mike Sherman, Bill Callahan or Chan Gailey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users