What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Chicago Bears Thread*** (1 Viewer)

3nOut

Footballguy
The NFL season starts tonight. Thought I'd get the ball rolling with our annual "official" thread. Less than 72 hours 'til kickoff. Lets go Monsters of the Midway!

Da Bears!!!

Does anyone else think that the Bears have a legitimate chance at winning the division?

Going to be put right to the test...Bengals are a very good team. I'm excited so far just to watch a new philosophy of Bears football. It looks like the losses of Lovie and Rod may not hurt the D, which is very important. I'm very excited for the prospects of the new OL and Forte. I just wish I could trust Cutler. He will need to change my mind on him if we are going to beat out GB.

I think the Bears could just as easily finish in first as last in the division with anywhere from 6 to 11 wins. I know that isn't much of a prediction but it hints at how clueless I am about the whole division past the Packers.

Hoping the o-line will allow cutler to chill out and be a good fantasy QB again, he's my QB2 in a few leagues.

Big test with Cincy tomorrow, who on paper, has a better team.

If they can protect Cutler, and he doesnt try to do too much, they may have a chance. Cutler with time to throw can be dangerous.

Terrific win Bears fans. tyvm!

Since I havent seen the game, I have questions regarding your DLine I wonder if you could answer..

How well did Shea McLellin actually play?

I know he appears dynamic at times, but also out-of-control at others.

His stat line was solid this game. Did the eye-test have the same result?

Meanwhile Wootton,who started in front of him and played 12 more snaps (20% more plays) and Peppers had almost no stats.

Did he spell both Wootton and Peppers? Did he come in on most pass rushing situation for Wootton?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the offensive confidence this team shows this season. Bennett was a great addition. A few too many turnovers today, but overall the Bears look like a contender this year.

Ugly win but its a win and 2-0 is very nice. And both wins against playoff teams.

Have to say I'm worried about the D line. No pressure on Ponder today. Peppers has been invisible in both games.

:fistpump:

Pass rush has me very worried, though. Very little pressure in 2 weeks. Peppers looks old. Shea just plain sucks.

Eta:exactly, RBM. Peppers is a very expensive statue

For the second week in a row, the Bears played bad enough to lose...then won anyway. 4 things I don't like:

1) The pass call on 1st and goal from the 1. WTH? Someone is trying to be too cute.

2) The second end-around - this aint the CFL coach, NFL players are faster, and smart.

3) Jay's INT on the deep ball to Marshall. Looked a lot like Jay had decided he was going to make that throw no matter who the @#!*% was there. Bad decision - reminded me too much of "old Jay".

4) Turnovers. Protect the @#!*% ball.

4 things I did like:

1) Hester is looking like "old Hester" - and that's good. REAL good. He'll bust one in the next week or two.

2) Bennet and Cutler have a good repoire. That 10 second left TD was a great catch by Bennet on a tough throw to his back shoulder.

3) The defense clearly was intent on stopping Peterson from killing them and thought "make Ponder beat us." While Ponder (and turnovers) almost did, and Peterson did have 100 yards on the ground, ADP was kept contained (he averaged <4 YPC and never saw the endzone)...for ADP.

4) They won despite losing the turnover battle - and have now comeback twice in the 4th quarter in two games against two decent teams.

1) I don't agree with the call being bad because there was a wide open receiver that Jay didn't see but he should have thrown the ball away. To me that one is on the quarterback.

2) The 2nd end around wasn't that bad of a call. Sometimes teams keep running the same play or similar plays until the other team stops them. I have seen teams call that play multiple times in the same game with success. It gave the Vikings D another thing to think about.

3) I assume Jay did not see the safety in the end zone but agree Jay made up his mind to throw the ball to Marshall.

4) The turnovers were maddening for both teams.

I hate to say it but I agree with Flap that the thing that bothered me most is the pass rush. Is father time finally catching up to Peppers? I am glad to see the 2-0 start. With all the weapons they have amassed the past 2 years it appears that the Bears offense can become one of the tops in football if they stay healthy.

The whole throwing on first and goal at the stripe is a bad trend going around the entire league. I don't get it and hate it.

Sometimes teams overcommit to stopping the run which opens up WRs, TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield. If Cutler threw the ball away like he should and they didn't run it on 2nd down (unless there was a WR left uncovered) then I would have been complaining about the play calling.

The whole throwing on first and goal at the stripe is a bad trend going around the entire league. I don't get it and hate it.

On the INT to Marshall, I think Marshall stated in his post-game conference that he initially ran the wrong route.

Got away with a few too many mistakes. It's been said a bunch of times by people in this thread. This team will go as far as Cutler will take them. I think the Bears have addressed a lot of concerns in many areas.

Loving the use of Forte in this offense but think Bush may need to be worked in a bit more to ease the load. And hope to see Jeffrey make some more of an impact.

Loving the use of Forte in this offense but think Bush may need to be worked in a bit more to ease the load. And hope to see Jeffrey make some more of an impact.
Got most of what you hoped for last night. Real bummer Melton going down for the season. Collins should step in and do well, though. Melton's play was subpar up until this point anyway. At the cost of being insensitive, maybe the franchise tag was the right call. :mellow: Still feel bad for him

Feel terrible for Melton. But I do like Collins and guess some big body will be brought in this week. Where's a Dusty Dvoracek when you need him, lol.

Man did Bush get real slow and bad overnight or what? I think I'm ready to give Ford his carries and see what happens.

I found myself questioning every move Lovie made because he made so many dumb decisions. I don't think I've done that any with Trestman. The guy is smart.

flapgreen said:
I found myself questioning every move Lovie made because he made so many dumb decisions. I don't think I've done that any with Trestman. The guy is smart.
:goodposting: Trestman forgot more about football in the last week than I'll ever know.

Josh Freeman and Zach Sudfeld were released today. Anything the Bears should/would consider?

I think we learned what the Bears are today. They are a pretty good team. They will probably end up around 8-8. They didn't do anything horribly, but they didn't play well enough to win. They showed that they can't play with the elite teams in the NFL. I'm afraid that probably includes the Packers. The offense may improve as the season progresses. This defense can't shut down a high powered offense like the Saints. And if the Bears don't get turnovers they aren't going to win. The frustrating thing is that you can't point at any particular part of the team that completely let them down. They just got beat by a better team.

I think we learned what the Bears are today. They are a pretty good team. They will probably end up around 8-8. They didn't do anything horribly, but they didn't play well enough to win. They showed that they can't play with the elite teams in the NFL. I'm afraid that probably includes the Packers. The offense may improve as the season progresses. This defense can't shut down a high powered offense like the Saints. And if the Bears don't get turnovers they aren't going to win. The frustrating thing is that you can't point at any particular part of the team that completely let them down. They just got beat by a better team.
LOL - nice over-reaction. They played the best team in the NFC today (no that is not Seattle....Seattle has no offense or QB). Bears are 3-2 right now and they got a lot of games left they should easily win. Giants; Eagles; Redskins; Detroit at home; Minny; Browns; Rams should all be wins. That is 10 wins right there. All they need is a win out of the Packers twice; Ravens; Cowboys to really secure a playoff spot with 11 wins.

Not to mention they are still developing on O and will get better as the year progresses.

I don't see this team being a lock to beat any of those teams.

Got dominated in every phase today, and I wasn't surprised. I agree with twistd, its a pretty good team. Nothing special but we should compete and have a fighting chance every week.

Eta: This Giant game makes me nervous. They are bad but they aren't 0-6 bad.

Got dominated in every phase today, and I wasn't surprised. I agree with twistd, its a pretty good team. Nothing special but we should compete and have a fighting chance every week.

Agreed. I really like where we're headed, but we still have a ways to go. I can't say I'm too down about it. We didn't roll over against 2 pretty good teams after being down a lot. I don't think Wild Card is out of the question. Special teams is what worries me. Terrible

LOL - nice over-reaction. They played the best team in the NFC today (no that is not Seattle....Seattle has no offense or QB). Bears are 3-2 right now and they got a lot of games left they should easily win. Giants; Eagles; Redskins; Detroit at home; Minny; Browns; Rams should all be wins. That is 10 wins right there. All they need is a win out of the Packers twice; Ravens; Cowboys to really secure a playoff spot with 11 wins.

Not to mention they are still developing on O and will get better as the year progresses.
Get the hell back to your moronic "Drafting with guppies thread," because you don't know #### about Bears football.

I think its time to say the pick of McClellin was a major whiff. Guy is just worthless. Start the transition to OLB before it's too late.

I think its time to say the pick of McClellin was a major whiff. Guy is just worthless. Start the transition to OLB before it's too late.
He was a wasted pick from the beginning. It seems like the new GM has no issues with admitting he made a mistake, unlike JA. Moving up in the 2nd to grab Jeffrey looks huge now. I wasn't big on him coming out either. They're obviously not cutting McClellin, but they have to start looking elsewhere.

Ouch, Collins officially lost for the year now. Not sure how we can fix our d-line this year, i'm thinking our draft next year will have at least 3 DL players taken in there.

Yeah, how we passed on two legit DE options in Jones and Mercilus for McClellin I will never understand. He didn't seem to fit what we are doing and it's just limiting us now. Can't miss on a first round pick like that when you are trying to rebuild an ageing team without much depth.

Sweetness_34 said:

I do think that the Bears offense may get better. That is what is frustrating about this. You can see that they played just about as well as they could and really just got beat. The offense might get better, but I don't see the defense getting better. I think the defense is starting to regress. Granted, injuries aren't helping, but there is a lot of age on the defense. And there isn't much depth. Unless the Bears get signicantly better on offense, they can't play with teams like the Saints, Seahawks, Niners, and Packers. I'm not sure they can play with the Cowboys. Those are the teams you would face in the playoffs. The Bears used to win games with special teams and turnovers. Even now, with the improved offense, they can't win these kind of games without great play on special teams and the defense getting turnovers. That hasn't happened the last couple of games and they lost. I think the Saints were a measuring stick, and I don't like what I see.

I thought the play calling was somewhat suspect. A Saints team that has a good pass rush and is very average against the run - and we ran Forte 12 times? And most of that was very late. At one point, when the Bears seemed to have actually snagged some of the momentum in the 3rd quarter (after the 42 yarder to Jeffery), first and goal from the 4 and they ended up with 4 plays (there was a penalty on one) - 4 straight passes. This after Forte's last two runs went for a total of 16 yards.

One flaw I see in this offensive philosophy is that they get pass happy too often - especially in the red zone. You have to at least run occasionally in the red zone. The Bears seem to go 3 or 4 wide and shotgun almost everytime they get into the red zone. Defenses simply go nickel and play zone - and then if you throw, you're playing right into their hands. Don't like it.

I also would like to know why all of the sudden all of our WRs have the dropsies. E. Bennet just flat out dropped 4th and 2. Forte drops the pitch on the first play. Marshall had a bad drop as well. Suddenly Jefferey and M. Bennet are the only ones who can catch.

Lol ... We got dominated? We gave them a gift 7 on turnover and dropped easy 4th down catch and still lost by 8 ... And that is domination? We had a WR go >200 yards and a QB throw for 350+ and 2TDs and u call that domination? Lol ok

Sweetness_34 said:

Get the hell back to your moronic "Drafting with guppies thread," because you don't know #### about Bears football.
Were you born a tool or did you just become one ?

Marshall complaining about not getting the ball. I guessthis should come as no surprise.
Well maybe, except for the actual stats, which show that Marshall is still the team leader in targets and receptions. Over the summer Marshall bemoaned the fact that his hip problems were partially a function of being the primary focus of the offense and his overuse...now he's complaining (despite leading the team in targets and receptions)...whatevs. He's being selfish and childish.

He'd probably also lead the team in receiving yards, if it weren't for his drops. He better learn how to be a team player and stop dropping the ball and complaining real quick, or as far as I'm concerned (and possibly the Bears brass), he can go stat-whoring somewhere else in 2014.

Strange season so far for the Bears. Offense seems capable, defense looks like a liability, special teams seems meh. They look like a coinflip wildcard team to me. Lack of pass rush is crippling the D right now, and it wasn't any better with Collins and Melton healthy. I don't see it getting fixed this year, so if Chicago is going to win games they're going to have to put 20 - 35 points up per game on offense. Odd that now the O has to pick up the D, and as long as Cutler can minimize turnovers they should be OK. Peculiar that when watching the Bears O I have an almost optimistic feeling that good things might actually happen.

Yes, Shea is a bust at DE. And Peppers had to play lights out this year to even have a shot at keeping his current contract in 2014. IMO he's not playing as bad as his production looks, but at this rate I'm guessing he's going to be gone and the Bears will have to eat about 8.5 in dead money. I can't see Melton coming back either unless he's willing to take one for the team. Paea may be the only DL opening day starter from 2013 who's back starting in the same spot in 2014. Emery has some defensive magic to work.

Edited to add: It's Jeffery folks.

So who is starting next to Paea (if he's even healthy) Thursday?

DLine is a disaster

Users who are viewing this thread