What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Chicago Bears Thread*** (1 Viewer)

RBM said:
Statcruncher said:
Power Monster you're a complete idiot. Drop the whiny complaining about decades of futility, that has zero to do with current day Emery and Trestman. I love how you gloss over how the offense has made a dramatic improvement in a few short years yet when the defense falls off an unforseen cliff due to age, injuries, Tucker, etc., you immediately rail on it. What has Emery showed you that makes you think he's not 100% fully committed to his goal of attaining a championship? Because not all of his picks have worked out? "Fans" like you are more annoying than Packers and Cowboys fans.
WTF....who gives a #### if he's committed....Angelo was committed too. It's completely fair and reasonable to question whether he's capable. And if this TEAM does not improve for a 3rd straight year, it will be fair to doubt that he is.

Fans that are sick of horse#### from the top offices to on field play are annoying? No fans like you that are ok with it are annoying. Fans like you that are won over at the podium are annoying.
You're an idiot too I see. Lol at being won over at the podium. Have you seen any improvement of the Bears offense? Does it hurt you to answer that truthfully?

RBM said:
Statcruncher said:
Power Monster you're a complete idiot. Drop the whiny complaining about decades of futility, that has zero to do with current day Emery and Trestman. I love how you gloss over how the offense has made a dramatic improvement in a few short years yet when the defense falls off an unforseen cliff due to age, injuries, Tucker, etc., you immediately rail on it. What has Emery showed you that makes you think he's not 100% fully committed to his goal of attaining a championship? Because not all of his picks have worked out? "Fans" like you are more annoying than Packers and Cowboys fans.
WTF....who gives a #### if he's committed....Angelo was committed too. It's completely fair and reasonable to question whether he's capable. And if this TEAM does not improve for a 3rd straight year, it will be fair to doubt that he is.

Fans that are sick of horse#### from the top offices to on field play are annoying? No fans like you that are ok with it are annoying. Fans like you that are won over at the podium are annoying.
You're an idiot too I see. Lol at being won over at the podium. Have you seen any improvement of the Bears offense? Does it hurt you to answer that truthfully?
Of course. But that led us to 2 less wins. Emery won 10 his first year, 8 his 2nd. Only reason he gets a pass is because it was a 1st year coach. That's it now...no more passes. I don't care if we break every offensive record in NFL history next year, if those wins don't start going up instead of down what will it mean?

Everyone involved in the NFL is committed to one thing. Making money. Winning is something that facilitates making more of it, or losing the opportunity to make more of it. Fan approval only plays a part when the fans no longer buy tickets and merchandise, or stop watching. Since that isn't going to happen, fans may as well pound sand.

RBM said:
Statcruncher said:
WTF....who gives a #### if he's committed....Angelo was committed too. It's completely fair and reasonable to question whether he's capable. And if this TEAM does not improve for a 3rd straight year, it will be fair to doubt that he is.Fans that are sick of horse#### from the top offices to on field play are annoying? No fans like you that are ok with it are annoying. Fans like you that are won over at the podium are annoying.
Don't forget to include me in the "idiot" category too.

RBM said:
Statcruncher said:
WTF....who gives a #### if he's committed....Angelo was committed too. It's completely fair and reasonable to question whether he's capable. And if this TEAM does not improve for a 3rd straight year, it will be fair to doubt that he is.Fans that are sick of horse#### from the top offices to on field play are annoying? No fans like you that are ok with it are annoying. Fans like you that are won over at the podium are annoying.
That goes without saying!

kidding...

RBM said:
Statcruncher said:
You have your moments, but you're not in their category yet. These knuckledraggers that think Emery should be on the hot seat are way out of your league.

Last edited by a moderator:
RBM said:
Statcruncher said:

Of course. But that led us to 2 less wins. Emery won 10 his first year, 8 his 2nd. Only reason he gets a pass is because it was a 1st year coach. That's it now...no more passes. I don't care if we break every offensive record in NFL history next year, if those wins don't start going up instead of down what will it mean?
Dude, you're kidding right? For years Chicago's D has held down the fort while the Chicago offense has been the anchor. Everyone lamented how bad the offense was, and in a couple seasons Emery completely revamped the Chicago offense into one of the biggest juggernauts in the league last year. In addition to that, what should Emery have done differently that would have prevented the D from falling off a cliff? Is it all because he missed on a couple of defensive picks? Is it the coaching staff's fault there were so many injuries?

Please tell me why 10 wins with a great D and shaky O is a better season than an 8 win season with one of the league leading O's being undermined by horrible D (much of which can be attributed to a freak amount of season ending D injuries). Emery didn't say his goal was to win more games, he said his goal was championships. Both seasons they had the opportunity to punch their own playoff ticket and failed. In other words, both seasons were equally a failure. W/L records are very important, but they are not the be-all end-all. If you are ignoring the actual on the field play and only considering W/L records then that would explain some of your ridiculous comments.

Did this guy really just ask me to explain why a season with 10 wins is better than a season with 8?

Just admit it....it's the glasses right?

Did this guy really just ask me to explain why a season with 10 wins is better than a season with 8?

Just admit it....it's the glasses right?
I'm coming late to this party...but I feel better this offseason than last. 2 wins be damned, I think we have the proper building blocks in place that weren't there last year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2014/01/06/bears-jay-cutler-contract/4341931/

Real deal: Bears in for three years, $54M on Jay Cutler

Most long-term NFL contracts amount to three-year projections. In the case of quarterback Jay Cutler's new deal with the Chicago Bears, that's especially true.

According to contract details obtained Monday by USA TODAY Sports, Cutler didn't receive a signing bonus on the seven-year, $126.7 million contract he signed last week, instead getting guaranteed base salaries of $22.5 million in 2014, $15.5 million in 2015 and $16 million in 2016.

That essentially makes it a three-year, $54 million contract, with rolling club options each year from there and no salary cap repercussions if the Bears release Cutler anytime after the 2016 season because there's no bonus to prorate.

None of the money in the deal's last four years — base salaries of $12.5 million in 2017, $13.5 million in 2018, $17.5 million in 2019 and $19.2 million in 2020, plus $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses each season — is guaranteed.

The deal includes $17.5 million fully guaranteed at the timing of signing. The rest of Cutler's 2014 and '15 base salaries are guaranteed for injury only until the third day of the 2014 league year in March and the 2016 money until the third day of the 2015 league year.

Cutler, 30, actually will get paid more in 2015 than '14, with $5 million of his $22.5 million base next season deferred to multiple payments the following year. The contract includes $500,000 base/guarantee de-escalators each year if Cutler doesn't fulfill offseason workout obligations.

The Bears also re-signed cornerback Tim Jennings and guard Matt Slauson to four-year deals last week. Jennings received $11.8 million guaranteed and Slauson $4.9 million guaranteed.

They now have 33 players under contract for 2014, which is still the fewest in the NFL.

It's actually pretty solid, unless my thinking is off. Free agents and young players want signing bonuses and Cliff will counteract that with backloaded contracts. Frontloading Jay's with no bonus money shouldn't really affect our free agency market...right?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bears/2014/01/06/bears-jay-cutler-contract/4341931/

Most long-term NFL contracts amount to three-year projections. In the case of quarterback Jay Cutler's new deal with the Chicago Bears, that's especially true.

According to contract details obtained Monday by USA TODAY Sports, Cutler didn't receive a signing bonus on the seven-year, $126.7 million contract he signed last week, instead getting guaranteed base salaries of $22.5 million in 2014, $15.5 million in 2015 and $16 million in 2016.

That essentially makes it a three-year, $54 million contract, with rolling club options each year from there and no salary cap repercussions if the Bears release Cutler anytime after the 2016 season because there's no bonus to prorate.

None of the money in the deal's last four years — base salaries of $12.5 million in 2017, $13.5 million in 2018, $17.5 million in 2019 and $19.2 million in 2020, plus $2.5 million in per-game roster bonuses each season — is guaranteed.

The deal includes $17.5 million fully guaranteed at the timing of signing. The rest of Cutler's 2014 and '15 base salaries are guaranteed for injury only until the third day of the 2014 league year in March and the 2016 money until the third day of the 2015 league year.

Cutler, 30, actually will get paid more in 2015 than '14, with $5 million of his $22.5 million base next season deferred to multiple payments the following year. The contract includes $500,000 base/guarantee de-escalators each year if Cutler doesn't fulfill offseason workout obligations.

The Bears also re-signed cornerback Tim Jennings and guard Matt Slauson to four-year deals last week. Jennings received $11.8 million guaranteed and Slauson $4.9 million guaranteed.

They now have 33 players under contract for 2014, which is still the fewest in the NFL.
That's the same info I posted on page 10 on Friday. Since then there's been speculation on other numbers, but nothing confirmed. It seems peculiar to me that even though it's been 5 days since they announced Cutler signed a contract there have been no definitive reports of the contract details.

That's the same info I posted on page 10 on Friday. Since then there's been speculation on other numbers, but nothing confirmed. It seems peculiar to me that even though it's been 5 days since they announced Cutler signed a contract there have been no definitive reports of the contract details.
I think the other numbers that I posted were shown to be false. They were announced and tweeted by Matt Spegiel on the score. He later tweeted that his source was not accurate and it was his bad for putting incorrect info out there. So I think the other set of numbers, 22, 15, 16, etc... will be pretty close to correct.

Eating up that much cap space this year makes me think they don't plan to make any big FA signings for the defense this year. I think they will try to stock through the draft (remains to be seen if he can do that effectively), one medium to big signing, and then a bunch of small 1 year contracts like they did last year with Williams and Anderson.

Could completely be wrong, but if they wanted to really sign a big name or two this year like we did with Peppers years back, we would try to force that year one cap number down for Cutler's contract.

I'm OK with it. Enough with the big free agent signings. Have to start building through draft, maybe a safety this year in fa. We really need at least 6 new starters on defense, though.

Going to be put right to the test...Bengals are a very good team. I'm excited so far just to watch a new philosophy of Bears football. It looks like the losses of Lovie and Rod may not hurt the D, which is very important. I'm very excited for the prospects of the new OL and Forte. I just wish I could trust Cutler. He will need to change my mind on him if we are going to beat out GB.
I guess we were a little off on the D part.

I think we learned what the Bears are today. They are a pretty good team. They will probably end up around 8-8. They didn't do anything horribly, but they didn't play well enough to win. They showed that they can't play with the elite teams in the NFL. I'm afraid that probably includes the Packers. The offense may improve as the season progresses. This defense can't shut down a high powered offense like the Saints. And if the Bears don't get turnovers they aren't going to win. The frustrating thing is that you can't point at any particular part of the team that completely let them down. They just got beat by a better team.
A few weeks in but dead on.

I think its time to say the pick of McClellin was a major whiff. Guy is just worthless. Start the transition to OLB before it's too late.
They waited too long to do it. That really concerns me about their judgement of defensive guys.

I think we learned what the Bears are today. They are a pretty good team. They will probably end up around 8-8. They didn't do anything horribly, but they didn't play well enough to win. They showed that they can't play with the elite teams in the NFL. I'm afraid that probably includes the Packers. The offense may improve as the season progresses. This defense can't shut down a high powered offense like the Saints. And if the Bears don't get turnovers they aren't going to win. The frustrating thing is that you can't point at any particular part of the team that completely let them down. They just got beat by a better team.
LOL - nice over-reaction. They played the best team in the NFC today (no that is not Seattle....Seattle has no offense or QB). Bears are 3-2 right now and they got a lot of games left they should easily win. Giants; Eagles; Redskins; Detroit at home; Minny; Browns; Rams should all be wins. That is 10 wins right there. All they need is a win out of the Packers twice; Ravens; Cowboys to really secure a playoff spot with 11 wins.

Not to mention they are still developing on O and will get better as the year progresses.
You look like a fool as always.

What pisses me off the most is that every scouting report of the guy said OLB in a 3-4 and yet he, I assume out of either arrogance or inept scouting, decides to draft him as a 4-3 DE.

Not the time or spot to be taking risks like that imo. Although he did the same this year and looks great. What the hell do I know.
They really did. Why did it take Emery so long to see it? I don't know anything compared to him and could see it. :confused:

Forgot about Earl. Cutting him should clear up 2.4 or so, but with all of the unsigned guys we have, we may have the space to sign one defensive free agent play maker. Maybe...

LOL - nice over-reaction. They played the best team in the NFC today (no that is not Seattle....Seattle has no offense or QB). Bears are 3-2 right now and they got a lot of games left they should easily win. Giants; Eagles; Redskins; Detroit at home; Minny; Browns; Rams should all be wins. That is 10 wins right there. All they need is a win out of the Packers twice; Ravens; Cowboys to really secure a playoff spot with 11 wins.

Not to mention they are still developing on O and will get better as the year progresses.
You look like a fool as always.
:lmao:

A few weeks in but dead on.
Unfortunately I was right on this. I wrote this after the Bears got beat by the Saints 26-18 in week 5. The game wasn't as close as the score because the Saints were leading 26-10 until the Bears scored a TD with 2 minutes left. I thought that the Bears were going to be an 8-8 team and it turned out I was right. What I didn't foresee was how much the offense would grow. In the Saints game Jeffrey had his first 200 yard receiving day. He has morphed in to a stud receiver. The whole offense really got better as the season progressed. But as much as the offense improved the defense declined. I said that the defense couldn't shut down high powered offenses. Turns out I was wrong. The defense couldn't shut down any offenses, and proceeded to turn in to one of the worst defenses in the league.

What we forget was that although the Bears had a shot at a playoff spot, they were still basically a very average team. They had a shot at the playoffs because the division was bad. If Rodgers doesn't get hurt the Packers run away with the division. If the Lions aren't the Lions they run away with the division. Cutler got hurt, but McCown played so well in his absence it didn't matter. It was amazing how bad the Packers were without Rodgers. Even if the Bears had managed to beat the Packers in week 17 they probably would have been manhandled by the Niners. The Niners are a very good team, perhaps the best team in the NFL at this time. The Packers came very close to beating the Niners. I really don't think the Bears would have done nearly as well.

Here are where the defensive players are rated by PFF. These are players who have played 25% of the snaps:

McClellin-46 out of 47
I normally agree with PFF ratings, but they have Shea way too high here.
:lmao: Good one
Shea finished 51 out of 52. So Stat was right, he was too high. He got worse. I would like to see film on the guy who was worse than Shea. What did that guy do? Did he just lay down when the ball was snapped? How could he have been worse? Take a guess on how many tackles Shea had this season, without checking the stats. Go ahead, take a guess.

I think the other numbers that I posted were shown to be false. They were announced and tweeted by Matt Spegiel on the score. He later tweeted that his source was not accurate and it was his bad for putting incorrect info out there. So I think the other set of numbers, 22, 15, 16, etc... will be pretty close to correct.

Eating up that much cap space this year makes me think they don't plan to make any big FA signings for the defense this year. I think they will try to stock through the draft (remains to be seen if he can do that effectively), one medium to big signing, and then a bunch of small 1 year contracts like they did last year with Williams and Anderson.

Could completely be wrong, but if they wanted to really sign a big name or two this year like we did with Peppers years back, we would try to force that year one cap number down for Cutler's contract.
I think those numbers are right. I think it is odd that Emery said he wouldn't tie up so much cap money by franchising Cutler then proceeded to sign him to a contract that exceeded the franchise number by a lot. The franchise number was $16.2, Cutler's cap number now is $22.5. I think he wanted to lock in his long term costs at QB, and with the cap space they had this year he felt it was best to take advantage of that now, and give themselves more flexibility down the road. It makes sense, but it limits your options this year. They may have been looking at costs to resign Marshall next year.

I don't think Emery ever intended to make any Peppers type signing. I think he will look for players like Slauson. Slauson was a very solid player who wasn't really high profile. He turned in to a terrific player for them. I think he will make a couple of signings like Slauson, but defensive players. My guess is one of them is a safety. I'd guess the other one will be a D lineman. If they do something with Peppers they might be able to make a third one. Then I think you are right that he will look to sign one year deal players like he did with Anderson and Williams, although neither of those signings really were all that good.

We are all assuming that this draft is all defense all the time. Something to keep in mind is that the Bears don't have much depth on offense. As good as they played this year, part of their success was that they were largely injury-free on offense. The only significant injury they had on offense was Cutler. And McCown played so well you didn't notice his absence. If Forte had missed time, Bush would not have been anywhere nearly as productive. Behind Bennett there is nothing at TE. If Marshall or Jeffrey missed time Earl Bennett might move in to a starting spot. Bennett is okay as a slot guy, but a huge downgrade as a starter. Wilson got on the field a little as a WR in the last game but we have yet to see much from him. The offensive line was intact, I believe until Mills got hurt in week 17. I don't know what kind of depth they have there. The Bears may use some of their picks to provide some depth on that offense. Their primary needs are on defense, no doubt, but they need to build their depth on the offense as well.

I'm a big fan of eating cap space now whenever possible instead of backloading contracts that will never be played out, so I like the looks of the proposed numbers of Cutler's contract. I have no problem envisioning him playing out all 7 years and in the process being a great cap advantage for Chicago in the final years. That being said, it looks like Emery is setting up all current contracts with flexibility in mind.

The Chicago Tribune has an article which says the Bears are writing a clauses into contracts which allows them to convert base salary/roster bonuses to signing bonus at any time, multiple times if desired. This would mean they could instantly free up millions of cap space if the right player came along. Prepare to eat as much cap as possible every year yet keep your options open in case an impact player comes available at the right price. Interesting.

Here are where the defensive players are rated by PFF. These are players who have played 25% of the snaps:

McClellin-46 out of 47
Shea finished 51 out of 52. So Stat was right, he was too high. He got worse. I would like to see film on the guy who was worse than Shea. What did that guy do? Did he just lay down when the ball was snapped? How could he have been worse? Take a guess on how many tackles Shea had this season, without checking the stats. Go ahead, take a guess.
I'm going to guess 30 tackles.

Edited to add:

I know you won't believe this but I figured maybe he lucked into 2 per game, then rounded down. I looked it up and turns out he had 30 tackles (14 tackles/16 assists) and 4 sacks. I also forgot he missed two games, so he did better than I thought. Lol, he accrued 24% of his season numbers in one game against GB (3 sacks, 3 tackles, 2 assists).
I hope he succeeds at LB, but IMO it seems like he was unable to correctly diagnose the play way too often. Maybe being off the line and having some space to read and react will be beneficial for him. I hope so.

I'm a big fan of eating cap space now whenever possible instead of backloading contracts that will never be played out, so I like the looks of the proposed numbers of Cutler's contract. I have no problem envisioning him playing out all 7 years and in the process being a great cap advantage for Chicago in the final years. That being said, it looks like Emery is setting up all current contracts with flexibility in mind.

The Chicago Tribune has an article which says the Bears are writing a clauses into contracts which allows them to convert base salary/roster bonuses to signing bonus at any time, multiple times if desired. This would mean they could instantly free up millions of cap space if the right player came along. Prepare to eat as much cap as possible every year yet keep your options open in case an impact player comes available at the right price. Interesting.
I just read that article. It is an interesting approach. I, like you, would prefer that they take the cap hit sooner rather than later. It is good Emery created that flexibility. Cutler may play out the contract, but my guess is that if he is still starting for the Bears they will redo it after five years or so. Glad to see they are keeping their options open as to free agents.

McClellin-46 out of 47
I'm going to guess 30 tackles.Edited to add:

I know you won't believe this but I figured maybe he lucked into 2 per game, then rounded down. I looked it up and turns out he had 30 tackles (14 tackles/16 assists) and 4 sacks. I also forgot he missed two games, so he did better than I thought. Lol, he accrued 24% of his season numbers in one game against GB (3 sacks, 3 tackles, 2 assists).
I hope he succeeds at LB, but IMO it seems like he was unable to correctly diagnose the play way too often. Maybe being off the line and having some space to read and react will be beneficial for him. I hope so.I'll go with 15

By the way, which one of you wants to volunteer to create the ****OFFICIAL**** 2014 Chicago Bears thread? It's time to move on.

McClellin-46 out of 47
I'm going to guess 30 tackles.Edited to add:

I hope he succeeds at LB, but IMO it seems like he was unable to correctly diagnose the play way too often. Maybe being off the line and having some space to read and react will be beneficial for him. I hope so.

I'll go with 15
You were closest, 13. That is it. He did have 5 sacks, which is 3 more than I would have guessed. But 13 is just pitiful.

Crazy how quickly this team has done a 180. You have to go back to 1998-99 until you find two years in a row Chicago hasn't had a defensive player voted to the Pro Bowl. Likewise, you have to go back to 2001-02 to find the last time 2+ offensive players made the Pro Bowl in consecutive years.

2014 O-3 D-0

2013 O-2 D-0

2012 O-1 D-4

2011 O-1 D-4 ST-1

2010 O-0 D-3 ST-1

2009 O-0 D-1 ST-1

2008 O-0 D-1

2007 O-0 D-2 ST-2

2006 O-2 D-3 ST-3

2005 O-1 D-5

2004 O-1 D-0

2003 O-1 D-1 ST-1

2002 O-2 D-1

2001 O-2 D-0 ST-1

2000 O-0 D-1

1999 O-0 D-0 ST-1

1998 O-0 D-0

Crazy how quickly this team has done a 180. You have to go back to 1998-99 until you find two years in a row Chicago hasn't had a defensive player voted to the Pro Bowl. Likewise, you have to go back to 2001-02 to find the last time 2+ offensive players made the Pro Bowl in consecutive years.

2014 O-3 D-0

2013 O-2 D-0

2012 O-1 D-4

2011 O-1 D-4 ST-1

2010 O-0 D-3 ST-1

2009 O-0 D-1 ST-1

2008 O-0 D-1

2007 O-0 D-2 ST-2

2006 O-2 D-3 ST-3

2005 O-1 D-5

2004 O-1 D-0

2003 O-1 D-1 ST-1