What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are people's feelings on the NE receiving core? (1 Viewer)

doyler

Footballguy
So, at this point I've thought myself in circles about the NE receiving core, and their relative value. I wouldn't mind hearing some other opinons, or what people will think will occur with others coming back.

Unless I'm missing something there's not much value in the rookies other than as deep threats for now.

Week 1 had both Amendola and Edelman in, and they both got theirs.

Weeks 2-3 have only had Edelman (of the 3), and he's doing fine in PPR (not as much in non)

With just Gronk returning, I agree with people that it should open it up a bit more for Amendola, but what about all 3 of them back?

Obviously no one can predict things perfectly, but how do people feel about Amendola and Edelman's value once all 3 are on the field (as long as Amendola is healthy)?

I don't see Gronk having bad value at all with everyone healthy, and Brady is probably going to trust him the most (especially in the red zone).

And yes, full disclosure, I own both of the WRs and can't figure out if I should be holding/selling/thanking my lucky cards I have both.

Edit: for reference, here are the week 1 snap counts:

WR Kenbrell Thompkins -- 91 of 94
WR Julian Edelman -- 83 of 94
TE Michael Hoomanawanui -- 80 of 94
WR Danny Amendola -- 59 of 94
RB Shane Vereen -- 56 of 94
RB LeGarrette Blount -- 23 of 94
TE Zach Sudfeld -- 19 of 94

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect amendola, kenbrell, edelman, gronk and Ridley on the field as the "starters", with dobson, hummanuhummanu, Blount and Bolden rotating in depending on the looks.. If Gronk is playing, he will be on the field a lot, even if it's just as a decoy, and that will make Ridley's job much, much easier. Kenbrell allows Edelman to play the slot/underneath role that he's best suited to, but you can't have two slot guys unless you have someone else to line up wide. A lot of times that someone will be Dobson or a running back. When Vereen comes back, that changes things a lot. But for right now, I think Edelman's PPR value takes a small hit when Amendola's healthy. Yes, he had his best game week 1 with Amendola, so it's not like he becomes totally worthless, but Kenbrell has made good progress, and they still seem to want to get Dobson some playing time, so he may take a back seat for a bit.

Perhaps the worst receiving corps top to bottom in the NFL to be honest. Even teams like Minnesota and Jacksonville are much better.

Brady has targeted Dobson the most, and keeps going to him even when he runs the wrong route or drops balls. So I'm thinking Brad really likes him, ad sees something in him we can't see on the field. I think this is going to be Dobson's breakout game, and I'm playing him instead of Nicks as my flex.

Brady has targeted Dobson the most, and keeps going to him even when he runs the wrong route or drops balls. So I'm thinking Brad really likes him, ad sees something in him we can't see on the field. I think this is going to be Dobson's breakout game, and I'm playing him instead of Nicks as my flex.
I saw his targets week 2 and 3 as well, and was wondering if there was something there.

Edelman = 9-19-7 (targets)

Amendola = 14-0-0

Thompkins = 14-7-7

Dobson = 0-10-10

So Dobson had more than even Edelman week 3, which is another interesting thing to note.

Amendola is a china doll, Edelman is ppr material out of the slot and 5-8 points in standard. As for Gronk, he's been out a long time and had to rehab back/neck and arm so we'll have to wait and see how he performs. Ridley should get back on track, Bolden is the 3rd down/pass catcher until Vereen returns. Blount will most likely get table scraps unless Ridley continues to fumble then Bolden and Blount will most likely split carries until Vereen returns or BB gives Ridley another try. The debate for me comes down to Thompkins and Dobson- they are the one's that could make or break your season if you guess right and one becomes the deep threat. In my 10 teamer, all WR's are owned except Dobson and he was the higher pick (2nd rounder) compared to the undrafted Thompkins. Long story short, Dobson is the one the scouts thought/think have the most upside and is available in more leagues so probably the way I'd lean.

It seems like preseason didn't happen. If you made a list of kinks to work out and rapport with the QB etc to take place in preseason, this would be what they've been going through.

Dobson and KT look better each week. I feel like I see star potential from Dobson at times. More often than not, the D does nothing to stop him and it's his own mistakes, but ya can't miss that he oWned a defender and got open, he and his reach towered over the defender, or he played a fake perfectly and somehow a 6-4 6-5 guy snuck down field. I'd trade for him in every dynasty league where I could field a decent offer in. Super nervous he made a zillion mistakes his first game and cut that down a ton in his second game. You can see the learning curve with him, you can see the potential, the athleticism....this is the type of guy I love for dynasty. Year two or three, I bet he's in the pro bowl opposite Green.

While Dobson makes everything look easy, you can see KT working hard more like Brown or Branch or other efficient types. He's not comfy and I think it's obvious. 100 sideline drops in week one was ridiculous but he gave Revis all he could handle and I still like the effort and awareness he has.

Brady has this move where he scrambles away and gets his feet set and fires. In the past, it was smooth and picture perfect. This year he could be yelling hey I'm getting reset here, do you see me? I'm about to throw, are ya ready? It's at least two seconds which is a lifetime for a WR getting free. He's gotta cut that out. He seems to not trust these rooks and I've gone from understanding that to well ya gotta throw to someone so throw a nice ball they can catch. There's alot to Brady's play that I was so appreciative of in previous years that just isn't there.

I see improvement, significant improvement, each week and still have high hopes for this offense. Confidence goes a long long way in sports. They're starting to come together and I think those that doubt them will be sorely mistaken.

Just unloaded Bowe for Edelman. I think Gronk coming back helps their offense a lot and at least one of the rookies will end up having a nice second half.

Gronk, Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins, Amendola in that order is how I have them ranked in terms of fantasy value for the remainder of the year.

Wow you fleeced the edelman owner... Bowe would do better with a high school qb than Alex (no throws over ten yards)Smith...

When Gronk returns the offense is gonna look completely different. As the season goes on Edelman will fade into fantasy obscurity and once Vereen returns almost complete irrelevance.

If Thompkins and Dobson continue to improve it will only hasten the process.

When Gronk and Danny return, before week 11 when Vereen is likely to return I see the Pats rotating WRs heavily, including Danny, Edelman, Thompkins, Dobson and Boyce. I see Thompkins and Dobson as the primary outside WRs and Danny as the primary slot receiver. Edelman will move around the field playing a similar role to Hernandez/Vereen/Welker's move role with his role becoming less and less prevalent as the season goes on - unless of course Danny reinjures.

Come playoff time (week 15-16) the Pats to own will be Gronk, Amendola, Vereen, Thompkins/Dobson in that order, IMO.

Just unloaded Bowe for Edelman. I think Gronk coming back helps their offense a lot and at least one of the rookies will end up having a nice second half.

Gronk, Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins, Amendola in that order is how I have them ranked in terms of fantasy value for the remainder of the year.
A healthy Amendola behind Dobson, Edelman and Thompkins? I don't think that is correct. This week Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins. Next week with Gronk back Gronk,Amendola,Edelman, Dobson,Thompkins. Brady is throwing to the rookies because he has to. After everyone is back he will depend on veterans he can trust.

A healthy Amendola behind Dobson, Edelman and Thompkins? I don't think that is correct. This week Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins. Next week with Gronk back Gronk,Amendola,Edelman, Dobson,Thompkins. Brady is throwing to the rookies because he has to. After everyone is back he will depend on veterans he can trust.
I don't think this is the case, unless the rookies just stop improving their game - Edelman has been a constant disappointment in NE his entire career as a WR, hes primarily a special teams player. He currently is the best WR on roster at being on the roster the longest and thats pretty much it.

Gronk, Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins, Amendola in that order is how I have them ranked in terms

of fantasy value for the remainder of the year.
A healthy Amendola behind Dobson, Edelman and Thompkins? I don't think that is correct. This week Edelman, Dobson, Thompkins. Next week with Gronk back Gronk,Amendola,Edelman, Dobson,Thompkins. Brady is throwing to the rookies because he has to. After everyone is back he will depend on

veterans he can trust.
I guess I have very little faith in Amendola being healthy this season. Both him and Gronk didn't even make the trip to Atlanta which tells me they weren't close to returning. Perhaps they both stay healthy once back but I'm not banking on it. Regardless, I've seen enough of Bowe and the KC offense this year to know that Bowe is at best a what the heck flex play. Edelmanight turn into that later in the season but right now he is in line to continue to have solid weekly value.

With no Gronkowski or Amendola, and the chance of a high-scoring game, it just might be a good day to get Dobson or Kendrell active as a flex. Anyone jumping in?

With no Gronkowski or Amendola, and the chance of a high-scoring game, it just might be a good day to get Dobson or Kendrell active as a flex. Anyone jumping in?
I'm a homer, but I have both KT and Dobson starting in two different leagues. (One in each, not both in both). I'm really thinking Dobson has a really good game.

So the long awaited return of Gronk The Magnificient is finally here. What effect do the Sharks think this will have on Dobson and Thompkins? Less red-zone chances? More openings and one-on-one coverage with Gronk taking attention over the middle? Like to hear some thoughts,is either one a viable flex play?

I still like Dobson going forward. I see Gronk getting RZ targets and a lot of the short "move the chains" targets, with Dobson seeing targets on "shot plays." I think Gronk will see more of Thomkin's targets. If he can work on his concentration, I see Dobson as a nice big play weapon going forward. Just my .02.

I still like Dobson going forward. I see Gronk getting RZ targets and a lot of the short "move the chains" targets, with Dobson seeing targets on "shot plays." I think Gronk will see more of Thomkin's targets. If he can work on his concentration, I see Dobson as a nice big play weapon going forward. Just my .02.
So you think Thompkins would be the "odd man out" with Sir Gronk back?

It will be a weekly revolving door with the exception of Gronk. That's what NE does. They seek out the other team's weakness and try to exploit that particular matchup.

You guys could be discounting Collie. Dobson had a pass hit him in the hands for a 4th down conversion and he dropped it. He's dropped a number of catchable balls, but there wasn't much alternative to him. Now, with Gronk back, and Collie in the lineup, there are alternatives that Brady may trust more.

It will be a weekly revolving door with the exception of Gronk. That's what NE does. They seek out the other team's weakness and try to exploit that particular matchup.
I have to agree and it's aggravating as an owner. I figure that one of Thompkins or Dobson will have a good day but it's impossible to predict which. The only thing I feel comfortable with is that someone will catch the underneath stuff.

You guys could be discounting Collie. Dobson had a pass hit him in the hands for a 4th down conversion and he dropped it. He's dropped a number of catchable balls, but there wasn't much alternative to him. Now, with Gronk back, and Collie in the lineup, there are alternatives that Brady may trust more.
Except NE invested a draft pick in Dobson and he has plenty of talent despite the early drops. Meanwhile Collie is one more hit away from being called Batman. He's situational at best IMO.

I think a healthy Gronk helps Dobson the most by attracting inside and shallow coverage. Dobson when healthy, has been getting the starting WR1 reps in this offense. That says a lot to me about how they view him. But he needs to stop dropping the damn ball. If he can stay healthy and improve his concentration, he's the one I like to get hot down the stretch out of all these bummy WRs.

So you think Thompkins would be the "odd man out" with Sir Gronk back?
Not necessarily odd man out; I'm just giving my opinion on how the value distributes, and I believe that Thomkins will share some of his looks with Gronk and also a few going Collie's way. I think Dobson will still get outside and deep routes for big play opportunities.

I think a healthy Gronk helps Dobson the most by attracting inside and shallow coverage. Dobson when healthy, has been getting the starting WR1 reps in this offense. That says a lot to me about how they view him. But he needs to stop dropping the damn ball. If he can stay healthy and improve his concentration, he's the one I like to get hot down the stretch out of all these bummy WRs.
Agreed :hifive:

Amazing that Footballguys has NONE of the NE WR's in the top-40 for rest-of-season WR value (weeks 7-16).

Edelman (44)

Thompkins (45)

Amendola (55)

Dobson (78)

Amendola at #55? Yes, he's fragile and may miss a few more games due to concussion, but should he really be ranked below 54 other guys for the rest of the season?

By contrast, Fantasy Pros expert consensus has Amendola ranked #32:

Amendola (32)

Edelman (36)

Thompkins (38)

Dobson (63)

Interesting to see how low Dobson is on both lists, and Collie doesn't crack the top-100 WR's.

So, how would you rank the NE WR's right now, in terms of rest-of-season value?

--rex

Amazing that Footballguys has NONE of the NE WR's in the top-40 for rest-of-season WR value (weeks 7-16).

Edelman (44)

Thompkins (45)

Amendola (55)

Dobson (78)

Amendola at #55? Yes, he's fragile and may miss a few more games due to concussion, but should he really be ranked below 54 other guys for the rest of the season?

By contrast, Fantasy Pros expert consensus has Amendola ranked #32:

Amendola (32)

Edelman (36)

Thompkins (38)

Dobson (63)

Interesting to see how low Dobson is on both lists, and Collie doesn't crack the top-100 WR's.

So, how would you rank the NE WR's right now, in terms of rest-of-season value?

--rex
Gronkowski

Amendola

Thompkins/Dobson

Edelman

Collie

The Gronk KoolAid is strong and overly optimistic IMO. Yes he's been cleared to play, but he's not yet proven and any game that gets ahead will pull him. I own Dobson, so my opinion is biased, but targets are the defining metric IMO. Dobson had 10 targets last week and that alone is worth more than a #78 ranked WR.

Users who are viewing this thread