What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nexus 5 - Anyone? (1 Viewer)

blackdot

Mine should arrive today and I'll be activating it sometime in the next week or so.

reeeeeeeally looking foward to having a bloatware free device. Rogers (cdn carrier) loads these phones up more and more w every update. hate it.

went thru the google store, and my device is sitting in Maumee, OH right now... should be here this week. cannot wait.

also, cant wait to get my hands of the new kitkat android os... should be updating to 4.4.3 this or next week.

Love it. Only real criticism I have is the speaker is pretty bad. I don't use it too much though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it. Only real criticism I have is the speaker is pretty bad. I don't use it too much though.
Ive heard this... but Ive also heard the new devices getting shipped (v 312) have bigger speaker holes which have really upgraded the sound from the speaker.

Will have mine shortly after the new year. Had a Nexus 4 for a couple weeks, until it got blocked by tmobile cause it was reported stolen. Really liked that phone. Besides the couple weeks of the Nexus I have had no other smartphone besides iPhones. Looking forward to the switch

Bloatware was a bigger deal to me when the phones didn't have enough internal memory. Now, they are just annoying, but no more than seeing extra apps that I don't use.

Bloatware was a bigger deal to me when the phones didn't have enough internal memory. Now, they are just annoying, but no more than seeing extra apps that I don't use.
Well you can disable a bunch of them too. That's what I did on my Moto X. Pretty much got rid of all of Verizon's crap. Sure it's still on my phone's memory, but they can't take up that much space. Plus with Play Music, all my music is in the cloud instead of clogging up my phone.

Had a Nexus 4 for a couple weeks, until it got blocked by tmobile cause it was reported stolen.
:lol:
Exactly. Bought it off some kid on Craigslist. Everything checked out. Worked fine for a few weeks. Then it got blocked. Called tmobile told me it had been reported stolen. Fortunately the kid had given out a bit too much personal info when I bought it from him. Knew his first name, what school he went to, and knew he was going to a particular state school the following year on a basketball scholarship. A little investigating and I had his full name and address. Still had his # so texted him and said you have a week to refund all my money or I'll contact your coach and mom and principal.

Had my money in 4 days :)

Camera will be a downgrade, but otherwise, it's a great upgrade from the S3
Didnt they fix the camera with the newest 4.4.2 update? both phones have an 8mp camera, so it shouldnt be that bad - or am I wrong?

I dont use my camera much anyways... not really a deal breaker for me - but I def want it to work... and work well

My wife got this phone this week. The camera works pretty well in my opinion. Not a DSLR, but still takes decent photos. She was thrilled with the panoramics. Hella lot faster than our old Iphone 4.

One thing I've noticed is how fast it recharges. Some people who are on it a lot complain the charge doesn't last a whole day (I don't use it that much), but at least you can get it all back very quickly.

Didnt they fix the camera with the newest 4.4.2 update? both phones have an 8mp camera, so it shouldnt be that bad - or am I wrong?

I dont use my camera much anyways... not really a deal breaker for me - but I def want it to work... and work well
The hardware is fairly similar, the downgrade will be from the Samsung software.

The Nexus camera is perfectly fine... but the Samsung camera is great.

The hardware is fairly similar, the downgrade will be from the Samsung software.

The Nexus camera is perfectly fine... but the Samsung camera is great.
Hmmm... I wasnt always impressed w my S3 camera. sometimes took amazing shots, sometimes wouldnt focus or would come blurry.

some users say they prefer the N5 camera, some say s3 camera... but not a dealbreaker for me, at all.

phone arrives tomorrow, cant wait

ok, 2 days with the phone - I owned an S3, girlfriend has the s4 and a iphone 5 for work. pretty familiar with all of them

this phone, without question, ####s on all of them.. and it isn't even close. this thing is blazingly fast and being an android is awesomely customizable.. new kitkat OS is awesome, awesome, awesome.

a lot of folks are complaining about battery life, and ya... Im sure if you have Google Now, bluetooth, widgets galore, screen brightness etc up full blast it'll suck.

with 3hrs of on screen time, and a total uptime of 12.5hrs yesterday, I have 49% battery left (and my phone did a full software upgrade, and every app was installed etc).. so pretty heavy use.

camera is very nice, no issues as some are reporting

never been this impressed, this quickly, with a phone. and the price 0f 349.99 from the google play store... is absolutely insane for a phone of this quality... easily a 600$ phone

If you're on the hunt, grab one

and the screen is PHENOMENAL.

Now that I've get this setup the way I want, I'm liking it too. Still getting used to the form factor and where the power button is, but overall happy.

Now that I've get this setup the way I want, I'm liking it too. Still getting used to the form factor and where the power button is, but overall happy.
what device are you coming from?

s3 to this, is pretty similar... kit kat OS isnt too much different than jelly bean was - except much snappier and fluid.

but the overall design of the s3 and nexus 5 arent too unsimilar

Soulfly3 said:
ok, 2 days with the phone - I owned an S3, girlfriend has the s4 and a iphone 5 for work. pretty familiar with all of them

this phone, without question, ####s on all of them.. and it isn't even close. this thing is blazingly fast and being an android is awesomely customizable.. new kitkat OS is awesome, awesome, awesome.

a lot of folks are complaining about battery life, and ya... Im sure if you have Google Now, bluetooth, widgets galore, screen brightness etc up full blast it'll suck.

with 3hrs of on screen time, and a total uptime of 12.5hrs yesterday, I have 49% battery left (and my phone did a full software upgrade, and every app was installed etc).. so pretty heavy use.

never been this impressed, this quickly, with a phone. and the price 0f 349.99 from the google play store... is absolutely insane for a phone of this quality... easily a 600$ phone

I'm a huge fan. I have an HTC One and I haven't used it since I got the Nexus 5

what device are you coming from?

s3 to this, is pretty similar... kit kat OS isnt too much different than jelly bean was - except much snappier and fluid.

but the overall design of the s3 and nexus 5 arent too unsimilar
I'm coming from iPhone. Not better or worse layout... Just different

AnandTech Review (they're pretty fond of the phone, especially at its price point).

I ordered it Christmas Day and it's currently waiting for me to get home from vacation. Can't wait to play with it.

My first Nexus device was the 2012 Nexus 7 and absolutely fell in love with it. I used it everywhere. Hated my wife's iPad (too big/heavy) but the Nexus 7 form factor, price, and flexibility were everything I needed to make the switch to a tablet. It gets the newest Android updates right away (unlike my current Android phone which took over a year to get ICS, and will never see Jelly Bean (let alone KitKat)). No bloatware. Totally open to use whatever browser I want (bugs me to no end that iOS devices won't let you set Chrome to be the default browser).

So naturally I got the 2013 Nexus 7 and it's even better. Faster, nicer screen, LTE capability. Rear camera. Grandfathered my 2012 N7 to my SIL.

Given that I still need a smaller device, and the Nexus 7 was such a great experience, I decided to go with a Nexus 5. Hoping that it will be everything I like about the N7 but smaller and more portable. The AnandTech review (linked above) really pushed me to this device, but I decided to wait for the holidays to order.

Moto X was a close contender but I like the speed, battery life, and resolution advantages noted by the review.

I should also point out that if you like the freedom the Nexus devices provide, you might like TMobile as a mobile operator as well. Flexible & cheap month-to-month plans, happily support Nexus devices (suck it, Verizon), and allow tethering with no whining/surcharges (suck it, AT&T).

Watch out for some reviews that do no testing and suggest that the Moto X has better battery life than the N5. It has all the specs to be the case (AMOLED screen, larger battery, lower resolution) but in real use it lags behind the N5. This is essentially (along with price) what closed the deal for me on the latter.

ETA: Forgot to mention that having an unlocked device also affords lots of flexibility with travel. I recently spent a week in Vienna and upon arrival at the airport, I was able to get a 10GB SIM for EUR10, good for a month. Dropped it in my N7, and presto, data access in Europe with no surcharges. Try doing that with a locked phone...

note for anyone who looks at "benchmarks" to differentiate between the power of phones, DON'T.

Nexus is the only device that does not cheat these tests. Every every device is optimized to "cheat" via various methods, which you can read about if you're into it.

this phone is insanely fast and powerful. the 2GB RAM is so money, as is the quad core 2.4ghz processor.

this phone is the cat's ###

note for anyone who looks at "benchmarks" to differentiate between the power of phones, DON'T.

Nexus is the only device that does not cheat these tests. Every every device is optimized to "cheat" via various methods, which you can read about if you're into it.
If you read the review I linked, they list which phones cheat. And the N5 ranks very highly despite it not cheating. The Moto X doesn't cheat, either (likely because Motorola is owned by Google).

anyways, Benchmarks are pretty useless in relation to real world usage.

the N5 has exceeded my pretty lofty expectations. Can see myself turning into a yearly buyer of the latest and greatest... never thought id be that type of guy, but these devices are great

Which color did you guys get? I like the white back, but it contrasts with the black edge.

Did you get a protective cover for it?

Which color did you guys get? I like the white back, but it contrasts with the black edge.

Did you get a protective cover for it?
black. and yes, I got a Spigen slim armor... get it from amazon and it's cheap. great case, no complaints at all... phone feels much better and safer in a case

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00EV8Y4QI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the white. Didn't get it yet. Most likely will not get a case for it.
trust me... you'll want one. w a 5" screen and it's thinness, it just feels better w a nice slim case like the one I mentioned above.

but if you're a barebacker... there's no stopping you from going naked.

I'm probably gonna get a black 32GB. How long did delivery take?
a lot shorter than it says it'll take.

ordered dec 19. said it wont ship until dec 29... but it shipped dec 23 i believe

received it dec 30... and Im in Canada.. so if youre in the USA it'll be super quick since you have 1 and 2 day shipping options

I'm a huge fan. I have an HTC One and I haven't used it since I got the Nexus 5
You should sell your HTC one....... any chance it is sprint....

Does USB OTG work with the Nexus 5?

ETA: It does... I should have asked Google first :bag:

I think I'm going to miss out on this phone.

Still have the Nexus 4 and its working great for me. Also have the 2013 Nexus 7.

I'll probably end up with whatever Nexus phone comes out in 2014 to replace the N4 eventually.

If I was buying a phone today, I'd buy the Nexus 5 though hands down. Even with the price drop on the Moto X.

If it's anything like the Moto X, I'd highly recommend it. I know the G doesn't have LTE, so if you don't live in an area with good LTE coverage, the Moto G is a steal.
I wouldn't want the Moto G on Verizon or Sprint though. Their 3G is super slow. On At&t its decent, and on T-Mobile its actually faster than Sprint's LTE is.

How the heck does this thing work? I've never seen anything like these before.
they're pretty popular with iphones and galaxies.

make your phone about half an inch bigger than it already is... so it's not ideal

basically its an external battery that plus into your usb port... and acts as a case too. you esentially get 2x the battery life or more
I meant the whole blog, not just the battery thingamajig. Same guys did a Nexus 4 blog that I still refer to at times.

Some early reviews were saying the weak sound was due to too much glue in the speaker assembly. More recent models don't have this problem... allegedly.

Users who are viewing this thread