What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

England's group :excited: I'd have taken that at the start.
:no:Worst Possible Outcome.Or so I've heard.
Meh.. I jumped the gun at the start of the draw. Overly pessimistic based on past results of having always gotten screwed. So shoot me if I got a little jumpy. I did correct my initial reaction to say that I am optimistic now. :thumbdown:
Sorry, gb- just poking a stick.
No worries.. It is all in good fun. This has been a good day for US Soccer. I can't wait for the WC to start. I have to admit that I am oficially unaware of the time difference in SA. So, what time EST will the games begin?

England's group :excited: I'd have taken that at the start.
:no:Worst Possible Outcome.Or so I've heard.
Meh.. I jumped the gun at the start of the draw. Overly pessimistic based on past results of having always gotten screwed. So shoot me if I got a little jumpy. I did correct my initial reaction to say that I am optimistic now. :thumbdown:
Sorry, gb- just poking a stick.
No worries.. It is all in good fun. This has been a good day for US Soccer. I can't wait for the WC to start. I have to admit that I am oficially unaware of the time difference in SA. So, what time EST will the games begin?
Let's see the time difference was -7 for the draw today (eastern standard time).But then we spring ahead so it'll probably be -6 for the games.Lots of work not getting done :) -QG

US schedule according to ESPN:

US v England Sat June 12 2:30pm

US v Slovenia Fri June 18 10am

US v Algeria Weds June 23 10am

US schedule according to ESPN:US v England Sat June 12 2:30pmUS v Slovenia Fri June 18 10amUS v Algeria Weds June 23 10am
Acording to Grant Wahl - "all within two hours of Jo'burg and all at altitude"He also goes through the scenarios for the first and second knock-out games (a topic I'd prefer to avoid until the US has at least 4 points in the bank).

Almost got into a car accident following the Draw on my cell while driving! An idiot I am!

That said, this draw is :unsure: :bow: :goodposting: :goodposting: :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all about the colonizers vs. the colonies:ENG / USASPA / HON / CHLPOR / BRAgnarly old skool hatred there, even if nowadays these countries are much closer due to cultural ties.I'm definitely going to be sporting some Don't Tread on Me stuff and other Revolutionary War bits.
powdered wig?
I think some Paul Revere, George Washington, or Ben Franklin paraphernalia.

I have no complaints. If I wanted to nit pick I would have preferred playing England last rather than first but all in all pretty good.

The US England game is going to get a huge rating when you factor in the hype and the game being at a decent day and time for viewers.

The US England game will almost certainly be on ABC

I have no complaints. If I wanted to nit pick I would have preferred playing England last rather than first but all in all pretty good.The US England game is going to get a huge rating when you factor in the hype and the game being at a decent day and time for viewers. The US England game will almost certainly be on ABC
I think ticket prices for that game may approach $750+ on the free market.I know I was hearing prices of 600€ for England matched in WC2006.

I may know the least about Algeria and Slovenia of almost all the 32 team.

Can anyone give any high level detail of these teams?

World Cup Odds

Spain 9/2

Brazil 11/2

England 5/1

Argentina 8/1

Italy 11/1

Germany 12/1

Holland 14/1

France 16/1

Portugal 25/1

Ivory Coast 33/1

Chile 40/1

Paraguay 50/1

Ghana 50/1

Serbia 80/1

USA 66/1

Nigeria 80/1

Uruguay 100/1

Mexico 125/1

Cameroon 80/1

Denmark 100/1

South Africa 125/1

Australia 125/1

Greece 100/1

Switzerland 100/1

Slovakia 150/1

Slovenia 150/1

Japan 200/1

South Korea 250/1

Algeria 200/1

Honduras 200/1

North Korea 750/1

New Zealand 750/1

This draw is incredible for the US. Couldnt be happier.

This is all about the colonizers vs. the colonies:ENG / USASPA / HON / CHLPOR / BRAgnarly old skool hatred there, even if nowadays these countries are much closer due to cultural ties.I'm definitely going to be sporting some Don't Tread on Me stuff and other Revolutionary War bits.
powdered wig?
I think some Paul Revere, George Washington, or Ben Franklin paraphernalia.
wood teeth?

I may know the least about Algeria and Slovenia of almost all the 32 team.Can anyone give any high level detail of these teams?
Heh, given the prominence of the other teams that could've been in our group, that's a good sign :lmao:From the little I've read so far, both are counter-attack type teams that jump on their opponents' mistakes. We'll have to limit mental errors it sounds like.-QG

World Cup Odds

Spain 9/2

Brazil 11/2

England 5/1

Argentina 8/1

Italy 11/1

Germany 12/1

Holland 14/1

France 16/1

Portugal 25/1

Ivory Coast 33/1

Chile 40/1

Paraguay 50/1

Ghana 50/1

Serbia 80/1

USA 66/1

Nigeria 80/1

Uruguay 100/1

Mexico 125/1

Cameroon 80/1

Denmark 100/1

South Africa 125/1

Australia 125/1

Greece 100/1

Switzerland 100/1

Slovakia 150/1

Slovenia 150/1

Japan 200/1

South Korea 250/1

Algeria 200/1

Honduras 200/1

North Korea 750/1

New Zealand 750/1

I gather that this is pre-draw? North Korea's odds are missing at least one zero on the end and probably 2.-QG

I have no complaints. If I wanted to nit pick I would have preferred playing England last rather than first but all in all pretty good.
Hmmm....I was thinking the schedule was perfect. If we start off slow, which we did at the Confed Cup, it is less problematic to do so against England in my mind. Otoh, lose that first game to Algeria, and well, now you are up against it. Also, that last game is the one where goal differential may matter and frankly, if we are going to put a big number on someone, it is going to be Algeria. We'll have a clear picture of what we need to do going into that game.

World Cup Odds

Spain 9/2

Brazil 11/2

England 5/1

Argentina 8/1

Italy 11/1

Germany 12/1

Holland 14/1

France 16/1

Portugal 25/1

Ivory Coast 33/1

Chile 40/1

Paraguay 50/1

Ghana 50/1

Serbia 80/1

USA 66/1

Nigeria 80/1

Uruguay 100/1

Mexico 125/1

Cameroon 80/1

Denmark 100/1

South Africa 125/1

Australia 125/1

Greece 100/1

Switzerland 100/1

Slovakia 150/1

Slovenia 150/1

Japan 200/1

South Korea 250/1

Algeria 200/1

Honduras 200/1

North Korea 750/1

New Zealand 750/1

I gather that this is pre-draw? North Korea's odds are missing at least one zero on the end and probably 2.-QG
Odds were taken from Bet365. All odds are here. I believe this is post odds as I heard on the radio that England's odds were lowered to 5/1 because of the favorable draw. Could be wrong though.http://www.oddschecker.com/football/intern...-cup/win-market

Hmmm....I was thinking the schedule was perfect. If we start off slow, which we did at the Confed Cup, it is less problematic to do so against England in my mind. Otoh, lose that first game to Algeria, and well, now you are up against it. Also, that last game is the one where goal differential may matter and frankly, if we are going to put a big number on someone, it is going to be Algeria. We'll have a clear picture of what we need to do going into that game.
Only problem is if England qualifies after two games and then rests its players for the finale. We could get screwed there if we need Alegria or Slovenia to lose.

For those who want to get ahead of themselves and imagine a wrodl where we run wild through the tourney.

If we win the group:

round 2 match would be on Saturday 6/26

quarterfinal match would be on Friday 7/2

Semi-final would be on Tuesday 7/6

and of course the final is slated for Sunday 7/11

If we finish 2nd in the group:

round 2 match would be on Sunday 6/27

quarterfinal match would be Saturday 7/3

Semi-Final would be on Wednesday 7/7

and again the final is slated for Sunday 7/11

The loser game, er 3rd place game is slated for Saturday 7/10.

How are these locations, temperature-wise? It shouldn't matter as much with Algeria being the only warm-weather opponent but I'm still curious given that it'll be winter there.

-QG

How are these locations, temperature-wise? It shouldn't matter as much with Algeria being the only warm-weather opponent but I'm still curious given that it'll be winter there.
Is it fair to say the altitude will be the same issue for all 4 sides in the US group?

Only problem is if England qualifies after two games and then rests its players for the finale. We could get screwed there if we need Alegria or Slovenia to lose.
Well let me think this through. If England is 2-0 and Slovenia is 2-0 well were toast anyhow.If England is 2-0 and we tied Slovenia and are 0-1-1 while they are 1-0-1 yeah we're in a lot of trouble.If England is 2-0 and we tied Slovenia and are both 0-1-1 then Algeria will be 1-1 and that'll give us a chance to win and advance.If England is 2-0 and Slovenia is 1-1 and we have beaten them and are 1-1 it's the same as the previous example and we are in a better spot in the goal-differential battle to come.If England is 2-0 and Slovenia is 1-1 and we are 0-2 then we still have a shot in the same fashion as in the confed cup. England won't be guaranteed advancement and we won't be guaranteed out.If England is 2-0 and Slovenia is 0-2 then we are doing a straight-up playoff vs Algeria and it doesn't matter.Of course this is all academic as we are going to beat them just like it's the Revolutionary War!!! :lmao: -QG

Is it fair to say the altitude will be the same issue for all 4 sides in the US group?
Not sure about Slovenia. Algeria will play in Cape Town in the middle though, so for them the issue might be the change in altitiude from game 2 to game 3.

Call me crazy, but I don't think England is necessarily the worst team matchup-wise for us especially on the attacking end. It's pretty evident we need to attack down the left flank to isolate Cole on a bigger forward/MF for the cross in (and Cole has gotten exposed a couple of times at Chelsea this year with just this type of attack). Thankfully that's our preferred attacking tactic with Donovan feeding crosses into Dempsey/Altidore/Casey.

On defense if they don't start Crouch, I'd clog the middle on defensive end and let them try to break us down (ala Spain in the Confed Cup). They really don't have anyone that particular scares you in the air in the flow of play.

Having said that, with their MF they'll probably have the ball 60+% of the time, so they can break us down at any time.

the thing that worries me is that Gooch wont be in form

$20 says gooch fouls Rooney in a very dangerous spot at some point in the match.

Honduras has a real shot to advance, Mexico probably ends up with the worst draw out of the three.

Native said:
World Cup Odds

England 5/1

USA 66/1

Slovenia 150/1

Algeria 200/1

:excited: I'm not sure there can be any complaints with our draw. One could easily argue that England is the 2nd worst Pot 1 team ahead of SA (I don't necessarily agree but it's easy enough to defend). All of the other 7 teams are quality teams.

I was trying to figure out who Mexico bribed until France ended up in their group - although with the way Domenech has them playing I could see Mexico winning that group.

Sammy3469 said:
Call me crazy, but I don't think England is necessarily the worst team matchup-wise for us especially on the attacking end. It's pretty evident we need to attack down the left flank to isolate Cole on a bigger forward/MF for the cross in (and Cole has gotten exposed a couple of times at Chelsea this year with just this type of attack). Thankfully that's our preferred attacking tactic with Donovan feeding crosses into Dempsey/Altidore/Casey. On defense if they don't start Crouch, I'd clog the middle on defensive end and let them try to break us down (ala Spain in the Confed Cup). They really don't have anyone that particular scares you in the air in the flow of play. Having said that, with their MF they'll probably have the ball 60+% of the time, so they can break us down at any time.
England's going to be really good. A few guys that get lost amongst the hoopla surrounding guys like Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Rooney, Crouch,....are Shaun Wright Philips and Jermaine Dafoe. They are both extremely fast and can make a lot of matchup problems for anyone coming down the flanks.Someone mentioned one particular problem is going to be if England wins their first two games and rests their starters. Well, it's really an embarassment of riches for the English side, in particular on offense. They may be a bit suspect in the back, especially on the sides and goalkeep, but midfield and strikers there is talent to spare.And don't think this team will not be hugely inspired to do well here in light of their recent letdowns on the world class stage.I root for Germany, and the US, but England is a team I wouldn't mind seeing winning it all either.

ESPN has be pinching themselves. 1st game for the Americans, vs England. On a Saturday afternoon. Before any possible disappointments or letdowns could affect the team. 6 months of pre-match hype.

Ratings Bonanza! :unsure:

Sammy3469 said:
Call me crazy, but I don't think England is necessarily the worst team matchup-wise for us especially on the attacking end. It's pretty evident we need to attack down the left flank to isolate Cole on a bigger forward/MF for the cross in (and Cole has gotten exposed a couple of times at Chelsea this year with just this type of attack). Thankfully that's our preferred attacking tactic with Donovan feeding crosses into Dempsey/Altidore/Casey.

On defense if they don't start Crouch, I'd clog the middle on defensive end and let them try to break us down (ala Spain in the Confed Cup). They really don't have anyone that particular scares you in the air in the flow of play.

Having said that, with their MF they'll probably have the ball 60+% of the time, so they can break us down at any time.
I'm not so sure I would sit back against England. I think the way to beat them is to press them, be in their faces and hope that Rio or his CB partner make a mistake. I think if we sit back it will be just what they want us to do and they will pick us apart. Rooney is quick and any of Defoe, Lennon or Walcott would be tough speed-wise, but their CMs aren't very fast in Lampard, Gerrard and Barry. I would worry as you mention that Crouch or Heskey (or even C. Cole) would cause of CBs problems if they start pumping in crosses.

Sammy3469 said:

I'm not so sure I would sit back against England. I think the way to beat them is to press them, be in their faces and hope that Rio or his CB partner make a mistake. I think if we sit back it will be just what they want us to do and they will pick us apart. Rooney is quick and any of Defoe, Lennon or Walcott would be tough speed-wise, but their CMs aren't very fast in Lampard, Gerrard and Barry. I would worry as you mention that Crouch or Heskey (or even C. Cole) would cause of CBs problems if they start pumping in crosses.
Agreed. The difference in style between Spain and England is night and day. Packing the middle against England simply won't work as they will make quality crosses and have multiple players who are pretty good in the air. Their power fits us pretty well though as we have the size to match up (assuming we are healthy). Spain has mostly little players and we just constricted their space. We need an entirely different strategy vs England.

Looks like this will be the first time the host nation doesn't get through. Sub South Africa out for any other seeded team and that is the toughest group ever.

Only complaint is getting England first instead of last, but oh well. We need to beat Slovenia and Algeria to belong anyway.

Looking at our draw another way, here are the Odds broken down by pot:

Pot One:

Spain 9/2

Brazil 11/2

England 5/1

Argentina 8/1

Italy 11/1

Germany 12/1

Holland 14/1

South Africa 125/1

Pot Two:

USA 66/1

Mexico 125/1

Australia 125/1

Japan 200/1

South Korea 250/1

Honduras 200/1

North Korea 750/1

New Zealand 750/1

Pot Three:

Ivory Coast 33/1

Ghana 50/1

Chile 40/1

Paraguay 50/1

Nigeria 80/1

Cameroon 80/1

Uruguay 100/1

Algeria 200/1

Pot Four:

France 16/1

Portugal 25/1

Serbia 80/1

Denmark 100/1

Greece 100/1

Switzerland 100/1

Slovakia 150/1

Slovenia 150/1

So according to Vegas (Monte Carlo?), we drew the weakest team from both pots three and four. Just incredible.

Looks like this will be the first time the host nation doesn't get through. Sub South Africa out for any other seeded team and that is the toughest group ever. Only complaint is getting England first instead of last, but oh well. We need to beat Slovenia and Algeria to belong anyway.
Don't be too quick to dismiss South Africa. We had what was considered an unfavorable draw in '94, with Colombia, Switzerland, and Romania and we came away with a famous victory against Colombia and a draw and got through (although as a 3rd-place team, now impossible).Mexico improved later in qualifiers but still was a bit uneven overall. France hasn't had a great year. Uruguay had to qualify via playoff. All of those teams could be tripped up, especially if the the home team gets a shock goal early to get the crowd going.-QG

Sammy3469 said:

Agreed. The difference in style between Spain and England is night and day. Packing the middle against England simply won't work as they will make quality crosses and have multiple players who are pretty good in the air. Their power fits us pretty well though as we have the size to match up (assuming we are healthy). Spain has mostly little players and we just constricted their space. We need an entirely different strategy vs England.
Call me crazy but if Defoe and Rooney are the strikers I'd much rather try to cross it to them than leave space in the middle especially since Garrard,Lampard/Rooney all shoot so well from outside the box (one of our biggest weaknesses). While having Lennon/Johnson/Cole make crosses into the box is a scary thought, I'd much rather have them doing that trying to hit Rooney than giving Lampard repeated shots from 25 yards.Having said that, with the altitude and the fact that many of the English guys will have played a long season, I'd also be applying high pressure that gives way at midfield.

That was a better draw than I was even daring to hope for. If they can get a draw against England, they have a really good chance to get to the quarters.

Great draw for the US.Am I the only one that thinks Group H will be a dogfight?
No - I think there's some intrigue there and that while there will be a good fight for 2nd I'm sure, Spain has 3 opponents that it can't afford to take lightly.Based on the FIFA Oct 09 ranking (1 to 32) of the teams, here's the sum for each group. 66 is average, higher is more favorable.Group A: 74 (RSA 31, Mex 15, Uru 20, Fra 8)Group B: 70 (Arg 6, S Kor 28, Nigeria 23, Greec 13)Group C: 68 (Eng 7, USA 10, Alg 22, Slovenia 29)Group D: 61 (Ger 5, Australia 19, Ghana 26, Serbia 11)Group E: 63 (Netherland 3, Japan 27, Cameroon 12, Denmark 21)Group F: 76 (Italy 4, New Zealand 30, Paraguay 18, Slovakia 24)Group G: 58 (Brazil 1, North Korea 32, Cote D'Ivoire 16, Portugal 9)Group H: 52 (Spain 2, Honduras 25, Chile 14, Switzerland 11)-QG

One bonus of the way the draw went is that Brazil (Rank 1), Spain (Rank 2), Netherlands (Rank 3), and Italy (Rank 4) cannot play us until the Semi-Finals at the earliest :unsure:

-QG

Looking at our draw another way, here are the Odds broken down by pot:

Pot One:

Spain 9/2

Brazil 11/2

England 5/1

Argentina 8/1

Italy 11/1

Germany 12/1

Holland 14/1

South Africa 125/1

Pot Two:

USA 66/1

Mexico 125/1

Australia 125/1

Japan 200/1

South Korea 250/1

Honduras 200/1

North Korea 750/1

New Zealand 750/1

Pot Three:

Ivory Coast 33/1

Ghana 50/1

Chile 40/1

Paraguay 50/1

Nigeria 80/1

Cameroon 80/1

Uruguay 100/1

Algeria 200/1

Pot Four:

France 16/1

Portugal 25/1

Serbia 80/1

Denmark 100/1

Greece 100/1

Switzerland 100/1

Slovakia 150/1

Slovenia 150/1

So according to Vegas (Monte Carlo?), we drew the weakest team from both pots three and four. Just incredible.
You're only looking at it from one angle. One could also say that the reason that the teams in our pool from Pots 3 and 4 have such long odds is because they are in a pool with the strongest Pot 2 team and the third-strongest seeded team.The truth is probably a bit of both.

Great draw for the US.Am I the only one that thinks Group H will be a dogfight?
No - I think there's some intrigue there and that while there will be a good fight for 2nd I'm sure, Spain has 3 opponents that it can't afford to take lightly.Based on the FIFA Oct 09 ranking (1 to 32) of the teams, here's the sum for each group. 66 is average, higher is more favorable.Group A: 74 (RSA 31, Mex 15, Uru 20, Fra 8)Group B: 70 (Arg 6, S Kor 28, Nigeria 23, Greec 13)Group C: 68 (Eng 7, USA 10, Alg 22, Slovenia 29)Group D: 61 (Ger 5, Australia 19, Ghana 26, Serbia 11)Group E: 63 (Netherland 3, Japan 27, Cameroon 12, Denmark 21)Group F: 76 (Italy 4, New Zealand 30, Paraguay 18, Slovakia 24)Group G: 58 (Brazil 1, North Korea 32, Cote D'Ivoire 16, Portugal 9)Group H: 52 (Spain 2, Honduras 25, Chile 14, Switzerland 11)-QG
:bag:When I look at Group H I see three very good mid-flight teams scrapping for that #2 spot. Assuming Spain does what Spain can do. All in all Groups G and H look the most interesting.

Personally I like Group D. Very deep group with an interesting mix of teams.

And let me be the millionth person to say that the US got a great draw. :tumbleweed:

Can't believe the lack of love Group E is getting- Netherlands, Cameroon, Japan and Denmark.

I'd have to say Denmark is the weakest team of that group, snobbily preferring the way Japan plays (or at least has played the last bunch of years- not too familiar with the current team)- and Denmark beat out Sweden and Portugual to win their qualifying group. But that's another group where there should be a real battle to get the 2nd spot... and the Dutch better play up to their game or there might be some suprises there.

BTW- #### Italy and that sissy draw. NZ is horrible. Slovakia is a team the US dominated for long stretches- away, yet, and without LD- and despite the loss looked far better, even without the forwards playing well at all. So it come down to Paraguay- not a pushover by any means, but NZ and Slovakia already fit that bill.

Can't believe the lack of love Group E is getting- Netherlands, Cameroon, Japan and Denmark. I'd have to say Denmark is the weakest team of that group, snobbily preferring the way Japan plays (or at least has played the last bunch of years- not too familiar with the current team)- and Denmark beat out Sweden and Portugual to win their qualifying group. But that's another group where there should be a real battle to get the 2nd spot... and the Dutch better play up to their game or there might be some suprises there.BTW- #### Italy and that sissy draw. NZ is horrible. Slovakia is a team the US dominated for long stretches- away, yet, and without LD- and despite the loss looked far better, even without the forwards playing well at all. So it come down to Paraguay- not a pushover by any means, but NZ and Slovakia already fit that bill.
Good draw for the Netherlands. Not too easy, not too hard, but certainly not a group to underestimate. We should be able to finish first under normal circumstances and I think Cameroon and Denmark aren't too far apart in strength. Japan is definitely the lesser of the 4 teams.I think we have a good shot to advance out of this group, possibly facing Paraguay in the 2nd round and a likely match up vs Brazil in the quarter finals, which is where I predict the tournament will end for us, but you never know. Games still need to be played and Brazil has its own work cut out for them and it's certainly no sure thing for them to finish first in a group with Portugal and Ivory Coast.

Speaking of Ivory Coast....Didier Drogba & Friends must have been ####ting their pants watching this draw unfold lol.

Four years ago they end up in the Group Of Death with Argentina, Netherlands and Serbia-Montenegro and this time they get to fight it out with Brazil and Portugal. Nice.

Speaking of Ivory Coast....Didier Drogba & Friends must have been ####ting their pants watching this draw unfold lol.Four years ago they end up in the Group Of Death with Argentina, Netherlands and Serbia-Montenegro and this time they get to fight it out with Brazil and Portugal. Nice.
I know all the media are going gaga over this, but since N Korea is so weak, it's actually not that bad a draw for them. They now basically have a 50-50 shot of going through which is about what their shot would be with two 20-ish ranked teams (and what their odds were before the draw). The one bad part is a draw vs. Portugal means that it will go to GD and then goals, so everyone will be laying wood on N Korea.

Can't believe the lack of love Group E is getting- Netherlands, Cameroon, Japan and Denmark.

I'd have to say Denmark is the weakest team of that group, snobbily preferring the way Japan plays (or at least has played the last bunch of years- not too familiar with the current team)- and Denmark beat out Sweden and Portugual to win their qualifying group. But that's another group where there should be a real battle to get the 2nd spot... and the Dutch better play up to their game or there might be some suprises there.

BTW- #### Italy and that sissy draw. NZ is horrible. Slovakia is a team the US dominated for long stretches- away, yet, and without LD- and despite the loss looked far better, even without the forwards playing well at all. So it come down to Paraguay- not a pushover by any means, but NZ and Slovakia already fit that bill.
Good draw for the Netherlands. Not too easy, not too hard, but certainly not a group to underestimate. We should be able to finish first under normal circumstances and I think Cameroon and Denmark aren't too far apart in strength. Japan is definitely the lesser of the 4 teams.I think we have a good shot to advance out of this group, possibly facing Paraguay in the 2nd round and a likely match up vs Brazil in the quarter finals, which is where I predict the tournament will end for us, but you never know. Games still need to be played and Brazil has its own work cut out for them and it's certainly no sure thing for them to finish first in a group with Portugal and Ivory Coast.
I get playing it pessimistically safe, but c'mon- you know the Dutch are as capable of beating the top teams as any other team in the WC next year. Didn't they finish undefeated in qualifying too?eta: I guess having your team lose in the quarters to Brazil isn't that pessimistic... but if the Netherlands were my team, I'd be feeling pretty good about their chances.

You really put Japan as the "definite" lesser team of the 4? I won't argue too much on this, since I think all three of those teams are pretty close. But from what I've seen of all those teams, the Danish seem the lesser team. Not by much mind you- and they've obviously proven to be consistent and capable. Without looking, I feel like they pulled off a lot of 1-0 games (ignore the US drubbing)... not a lot of power going at goal if my memory serves me, but disciplined on both sides of the ball. Japan might be a little less consistent, but they attack very well when the pistons are firing. Like I said before- that group should[/] have a battle-royale going between the other three teams who, for my money, are the closest in quality of any other group.

Speaking of Ivory Coast....Didier Drogba & Friends must have been ####ting their pants watching this draw unfold lol.Four years ago they end up in the Group Of Death with Argentina, Netherlands and Serbia-Montenegro and this time they get to fight it out with Brazil and Portugal. Nice.
I know all the media are going gaga over this, but since N Korea is so weak, it's actually not that bad a draw for them. They now basically have a 50-50 shot of going through which is about what their shot would be with two 20-ish ranked teams (and what their odds were before the draw). The one bad part is a draw vs. Portugal means that it will go to GD and then goals, so everyone will be laying wood on N Korea.
I watched a N Korea game... of the teams in the WC I've watched, they're definitely better than NZ and Slovakia. Not great- but not terrible either.

Users who are viewing this thread