What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

@Fredy888 Thoughts on Poch? He does add to the list of available coaches and there are some in the fan base that loves him

Zidane, Poch, Teuchel, Jose. Would any have done better with the injury list?

United should just keep ETH. They'll never be really good again until there's new ownership. It's just a crappy franchise now and that never changes until there's turnover at the top.

Related: I wasn't aware that Malcolm Glazer had died (uh, in 2014 -- go me), but it has the effect of passing the team on to a much younger Glazer. Avram's only 63. So it could be awhile.

United should just keep ETH. They'll never be really good again until there's new ownership. It's just a crappy franchise now and that never changes until there's turnover at the top.

Related: I wasn't aware that Malcolm Glazer had died (uh, in 2014 -- go me), but it has the effect of passing the team on to a much younger Glazer. Avram's only 63. So it could be awhile.
While I agree with you overall, I am hoping that the Glazers giving control to INEOS on the football side will allow it to be better run, especially the way the structure appears to be getting set up.

We need a dedicated Euros thread, or do we not have enough talk for these that the standard match day thread will work?
I was thinking about starting a "Summer of Soccer" thread which could encompass The Euro's, the super Copa America and the Olympics but was concerned that we have too many threads already.
Pretty sure we usually have at least one for the Euros.

The Football Ramble pod guys discussing the awesome case of Dutch referee Jan Smit who’s been banned for life after he was seen celebrating with the winners of Dutch 4th Division champions St. George shortly after officiating the game in which they won the championship on a late equalizer. Smit sent off three players from De Valken (plus one from St.George) in the game and awarded 15 minutes of extra time which allowed a late equalizer by the St.George GK. Here’s the footage https://twitter.com/dannykorporaal/status/1789688408341619148

In his defense Smit blasted the federation saying, “ I wasn't partying with the players at all. I just sang a song and held up the bowl once.”

We need a dedicated Euros thread, or do we not have enough talk for these that the standard match day thread will work?
I was thinking about starting a "Summer of Soccer" thread which could encompass The Euro's, the super Copa America and the Olympics but was concerned that we have too many threads already.

The more threads the better imo.
Seems like the special threads get more participants from casual fans IMO

Euro 2020 got over 89 pages and 4400 replies

Someone already started the 2024 thread back in December so maybe bump this one.

Someone already started the 2024 thread back in December so maybe bump this one.

2020 - different times.

but, I'll bump the old thread.

My Copa America thread was less popular :kicksrock:

But, the tournament is in the US this year so probably have more interest.

2020 - different times.

but, I'll bump the old thread.

What a time to be alive - if only Sinn were still around

Apparently it’s Flick replacing Xavi at Barca.
Hmmm... So maybe Dest has a shot, especially if they ship Araujo
Care to unpack this logic for me? Flick more likely to use a pure winger than a RB?

I think he was more referring to Dest and Xavi openly hating each other. Dest came out and publicly stated he would never return to Barcelona as long as Xavi was the coach.
Yep

Apparently it’s Flick replacing Xavi at Barca.
Hmmm... So maybe Dest has a shot, especially if they ship Araujo
Care to unpack this logic for me? Flick more likely to use a pure winger than a RB?

I think he was more referring to Dest and Xavi openly hating each other. Dest came out and publicly stated he would never return to Barcelona as long as Xavi was the coach.
Thanks. Didn’t know that.

167 teams will participate in the 2024–25 UEFA Conference League. I saw a couple semi-professional teams that are playing in the first round in this tournament starting in July.

Stolen from another site:

It's the Conference League for Chelsea.

Bravo, Chelsea.

Which, incidentally, is one of the fixtures that might take place.

Bravo came fourth in the Slovenian League and may get the opportunity to welcome Chelsea to their ground (capacity 2,308), should they get through the qualifiers.

Meanwhile, Newcastle have dropped out of the European spots, but it's not all bad news for Bruno's Magpies.

Because FC Bruno's Magpies - I kid you not - will also be in the Conference League, by dint of coming third in the Gibraltarian league.

Their ground capacity is 5,000 and they too may welcome Chelsea there, should they get through the qualifiers.

As long as it doesn't clash with the Gibraltar Music Festival that takes place there, that is.

Pretty wild game this morning. Seems pretty clear that City were over-confident. Still think ETH is out though.

I mean....you can't finish 8th place in the EPL at Manchester United (while scoring only 57 Goals....yikes). I know they had a lot of injuries (I mean, they had to bring in Evans off the scrap heap) but still.

Will be interesting to see where they go in terms of transfers. They're likely gonna take a huge loss on Sancho and nobody is going to pay them big money for Greenwood given the circumstances. I still find it hard to believe they're going to sell Rashford. I know he had a lousy year, but that dude was born at the club. Getting the last minute Euroleague spot will obviously help a little, but still have to think they'll be shopping in the bargain bin (or WAY overpaying for anyone with a British passport)

Hands off McKenna, Chels.
Hands off McKenna, ManU.
Looks like McKenna is staying at Ipswich. That's good for them and honestly probably good for him - he isn't exactly EPL tested. The key here will be whether or not he can change Ipswich's playing style, especially if recruitment is light. They struggled defensively last year but were able to simply score more than their opponents. He's going to need to bring in a bunch of Tarkowski types (not literally, but veteran defenders who aren't afraid of anyone,) be a bit more boring, and survive a year. Will be interesting to see if he can or is willing to adapt his preferred playing style.

Pretty wild game this morning. Seems pretty clear that City were over-confident. Still think ETH is out though.

I mean....you can't finish 8th place in the EPL at Manchester United (while scoring only 57 Goals....yikes). I know they had a lot of injuries (I mean, they had to bring in Evans off the scrap heap) but still.

Will be interesting to see where they go in terms of transfers. They're likely gonna take a huge loss on Sancho and nobody is going to pay them big money for Greenwood given the circumstances. I still find it hard to believe they're going to sell Rashford. I know he had a lousy year, but that dude was born at the club. Getting the last minute Euroleague spot will obviously help a little, but still have to think they'll be shopping in the bargain bin (or WAY overpaying for anyone with a British passport)
I hope ETH stays. The injuries can not be overstated with 30+ different defensive lineups over 51 games, his first choice team playing in 1 game together. A trophy in each of his two years.
Even then his team was 6th defensively in the EPL.

Time to clear out the dead weight and stop overpaying for mid tier players. No need to go for galaticos either. Get the right players at the right price for how the team wants to play.

They will take a loss on Sancho. Greenwood did some good image rehab and should bring in a decent fee although not as good as he would have before all this. I doubt Rashford leaves unless someone pays big money for him. Sell Casemiro, Maguire, Lindelof, McT, Sancho, Greenwood, AWB, Erikson. Let Amrabat go back to his team (He did have a good last couple games though). Martial, Varane both gone with contracts up. Evans should retire.

Bring in a DCM, 2x CBs, left back, striker.

What United absolutely can not do, is let the manager saga drag out. This window is to important and will be hard enough with players wanting to wait until after the Euros, that they need to have their manager either backed or the new one in place quickly. Get your business done now, not 3 games in when the deadline is looming.

Users who are viewing this thread