What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (3 Viewers)

Looking for a turn-based or real-time strat. Suggestions? I really liked the first few Age of Empires and Starcraft (I know those aren't turn-based). Kind of like the Civs but not as much.TIA
How about a bit of both? Get any of the Total War series. Rome: Total War was my favorite.

Looking for a turn-based or real-time strat. Suggestions? I really liked the first few Age of Empires and Starcraft (I know those aren't turn-based). Kind of like the Civs but not as much.TIA
Have you played the Total War franchise? It is a near perfect blend of turn-based and RTS. The current one is Empire.Supreme Commander 2 and World in Conflict also come to mind.

Mad Cow> you know any good deals on wireless routers?

not way in hell i'm paying 99$ for xbox's wireless router.

How about a bit of both? Get any of the Total War series. Rome: Total War was my favorite.
Have you played the Total War franchise? It is a near perfect blend of turn-based and RTS. The current one is Empire.Supreme Commander 2 and World in Conflict also come to mind.
Will give these a look. :thumbup:

Watched some trailers and gameplay videos for Bioshock 2 online today. They looked pretty good...maybe it's just the national TV advertisement that looked awful.

Will give these a look. :thumbup:
So far so good with RTW.

About halfway done with Uncharted. LOVE it so far. Just picked up Uncharted 2 and will play that next. Looking forward to BioShock 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Dead Space 2.

So far so good with RTW.
RTW is possibly my favorite strategy game of all time. Right up there with WC2/SC.
Two games in an I'm wondering how I can change things up. Does the imperial campaign always start the same. I'm also auto-fighting.
Yes, and if you are auto-fighting, you are missing so much of the fun. Learning how to set up the troops and fight is just fantastic. I can remember fights where I went in vastly outnumbered, but through sound tactics, was able to turn the tide. I can remember more than 1 fist pump after punking those darn Egyptians. :shrug:

About halfway done with Uncharted. LOVE it so far. Just picked up Uncharted 2 and will play that next. Looking forward to BioShock 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Dead Space 2.
Uncharted 2 is amazing - and very long. I thought I was nearing the end of the game at one point - that was several levels ago. I'll play through this one again once I'm finished.

Currently playing:

Baldurs Gate 2 Dark Alliance (Xbox) - Old School hack n slash...and this one is so much fun.

Madden 2010 PS3 - in Franchise mode fantasy drafted my squad...having a blast with it.

NCAA 2010 PS3 - awesome game...still in my first season with the Canes and loving the recruting on this diddy

Modern Warfare II PS3 ( although I am getting frustrated with this one)

Fallout III - massive

Oblivion - uh yeah massive like Fallout!

I basically alternate 2 games a week with one sports title and one RPG/shooter. Too many games and too little time!!!!

I have others on tap which I am dying to get to such as:

Dead Space

MSG4

BioShock

NHL 2009

Gallop Racer 2004

Star Wars Battlefront II

FIFA 2009

Like I said too many games too little time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently playing:

Baldurs Gate 2 Dark Alliance (Xbox) - Old School hack n slash...and this one is so much fun.

Madden 2010 PS3 - in Franshise mode fantsy drafted my squad...having a blast with it.

NCAA 2010 PS3 - awesome game...still in my first season with the Canes and loving the recruting on this diddy

Fallout III - massive

I basically alternate 2 games a week with one sports title and one RPG/shooter. Too many games and too little time!!!!

Dead Space

MSG4

BioShock

NHL 2009

Gallop Racer 2004

Star Wars Battlefront II

FIFA 2009

Jeebus, talk about a blast from the past. I remember the original. My bestfriend and I would rent it over the weekend and had notebooks that we used to track our horses and what we wanted in future horses etc.I need to check into this 2004 version! :) !!!

A little heads up for old school RPG fans. Lost Odyssey on the 360 is a turn based RPG that has a battle system that is good enough and a level up system that keeps you around what is needed. It has a above average story, more realistic non emo characters, and 30 written mini stories that can be found in the form of dreams which could be some of the best pieces of writing ever involved with a game. The music is top notch and IMO Lost Odyssey is the successor to Final Fantasy 4/6/7/9 compared to the recent stuff produced.

Currently playing:

Madden 2010 PS3 - in Franshise mode fantsy drafted my squad...having a blast with it.

Fallout III - massive

Dead Space

MSG4

BioShock

NHL 2009

Gallop Racer 2004

Star Wars Battlefront II

FIFA 2009

Jeebus, talk about a blast from the past. I remember the original. My bestfriend and I would rent it over the weekend and had notebooks that we used to track our horses and what we wanted in future horses etc.I need to check into this 2004 version! :( !!!
I have the original PS1 version too!!! Awesome game.....everything I had read about the 2004 PS2 version said it is the gold standard for the series.....so I went to Amazon and scored a mint used copy with the instructions of course. I am looking forward to delving into this one....and you can bet coin on the races now too!

Todem said:
fasteddie_21 said:
Todem said:
Currently playing:

Fallout III - massive

Dead Space

MSG4

BioShock

NHL 2009

Gallop Racer 2004

Star Wars Battlefront II

FIFA 2009

Jeebus, talk about a blast from the past. I remember the original. My bestfriend and I would rent it over the weekend and had notebooks that we used to track our horses and what we wanted in future horses etc.I need to check into this 2004 version! :blackdot: !!!
I have the original PS1 version too!!! Awesome game.....everything I had read about the 2004 PS2 version said it is the gold standard for the series.....so I went to Amazon and scored a mint used copy with the instructions of course. I am looking forward to delving into this one....and you can bet coin on the races now too!
Checking around now. Please let me know your review, thanks

So far so good with RTW.
RTW is possibly my favorite strategy game of all time. Right up there with WC2/SC.
Two games in an I'm wondering how I can change things up. Does the imperial campaign always start the same. I'm also auto-fighting.
Yes, and if you are auto-fighting, you are missing so much of the fun. Learning how to set up the troops and fight is just fantastic. I can remember fights where I went in vastly outnumbered, but through sound tactics, was able to turn the tide. I can remember more than 1 fist pump after punking those darn Egyptians. :mellow:
Cliff notes on some good strategies for these fights?

I decided to buy the pre-order of Bioshock 2 off of Steam instead of buying the 360 version. 1) I get Bioshock 2 on my PC for $44.99 instead paying $59.99 on 360. [$15 savings ftw!] 2) It comes with the original Bioshock for free.

The only reason I bought the first Bioshock on 360 was because the computer I was using during that time couldn't run Bioshock. My newer PC can run both at higher than recommended settings. :thumbup:

Update:

Playing right now- Lost Odyssey, Left 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands(starting again), Bioshock 2(soon)

Excited for- Final Fantasy 13, Red Dead Redemption, Battlefield Bad Company 2

Retired- MW2(besides 2v2 tourney)

Update:

Playing right now- Lost Odyssey, Left 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands(starting again), Bioshock 2(soon)

I've been checking out the vids on Live and this game looks amazing. It's almost photo-realistic.

Hey moobin and anyone else who has played oblivion. I was thinking about picking the game since its cheap. I have heard some comparisons that the closest thing to it would be fallout 3, which I really liked. What are some of the differences with it, besides the wasteland vs not wasteland?

madshot31 said:
Hey moobin and anyone else who has played oblivion. I was thinking about picking the game since its cheap. I have heard some comparisons that the closest thing to it would be fallout 3, which I really liked. What are some of the differences with it, besides the wasteland vs not wasteland?
I've had this window open for about 5 minutes trying to think of something different between the two other then one being set in the post apocalyptic VS Medieval era and I just can't. If you like RPG's, and you did the whole knights/ogres/elves/magic type genre, you'll like it very much. I don't really care for the the story/backgrounds/style of the Elder scroll series, but I've enjoyed the games immensely. Its a very good game, and a bargain for what you can probably purchase it for these days.

madshot31 said:
It's a good game overall. If you liked Fallout 3, you'll probably like this one as well. Two main differences:1. Oblivion doesn't have anything comparable to VATS. All combat is handled in real time by the player.2. The one major gripe about Oblivion is that the levelling system is basically broken. As you level up, the rest of the world levels up very strongly right along with you, so you'll be encountering much tougher enemies as you go along. Fallout 3 is like this, too, but it seems much more pronounced in Oblivion. The biggest problem, though, is that the way your character levels up depends entirely on what skills you've been using. This means that it is very easy to accidentally level up in ways that don't really make your character any better, but you're still going to be facing much more powerful opponents anyway. If you just randomly play Oblivion without any special levelling strategy in mind, there's almost a 100% chance that it will become unplayable by the middle levels. Then again, there's a difficulty slider that you can turn down if you want, but most players spend a lot of time grinding particular skills to level their character in the way they want, which isn't any fun. (There are numerous FAQs out there on this topic). The levelling system in Fallout 3 is infinitely better than the one in Oblivion, because you don't have to worry about this stuff.

madshot31 said:
It's a good game overall. If you liked Fallout 3, you'll probably like this one as well. Two main differences:1. Oblivion doesn't have anything comparable to VATS. All combat is handled in real time by the player.2. The one major gripe about Oblivion is that the levelling system is basically broken. As you level up, the rest of the world levels up very strongly right along with you, so you'll be encountering much tougher enemies as you go along. Fallout 3 is like this, too, but it seems much more pronounced in Oblivion. The biggest problem, though, is that the way your character levels up depends entirely on what skills you've been using. This means that it is very easy to accidentally level up in ways that don't really make your character any better, but you're still going to be facing much more powerful opponents anyway. If you just randomly play Oblivion without any special levelling strategy in mind, there's almost a 100% chance that it will become unplayable by the middle levels. Then again, there's a difficulty slider that you can turn down if you want, but most players spend a lot of time grinding particular skills to level their character in the way they want, which isn't any fun. (There are numerous FAQs out there on this topic). The levelling system in Fallout 3 is infinitely better than the one in Oblivion, because you don't have to worry about this stuff.
:thumbup:Everything he said about the leveling system is spot on, however there are several ways to make it a non-issue. It certainly isn't a reason not to play the game, but you should know about it.

I enjoyed Oblivion when it came out, but having played so many better RPG's since then, including one that vastly improved on the same engine (Fallout), I think I'd have trouble going back and replaying it. The criticism above is spot on, plus the storyline is pretty bad, there isn't the same interaction with characters as there is in Fallout (particularly with the moral choices), all of the dungeon type areas are cookie cutter, etc.

So far so good with RTW.
Yes, and if you are auto-fighting, you are missing so much of the fun. Learning how to set up the troops and fight is just fantastic. I can remember fights where I went in vastly outnumbered, but through sound tactics, was able to turn the tide. I can remember more than 1 fist pump after punking those darn Egyptians. :wall:
Cliff notes on some good strategies for these fights?
Just think logical in many instances. Be aware of morale at all times, and knowing that that makes a difference as well as armor. Keep your cav back for charges or to secure flanks. Use it to wipe out missile troops or lone groups that are left undefended. Above all, USE TERRAIN. This is huge when outnumbered. Make the other army come uphill and bottleneck as much as possible, such as bridges. Play a few battles and you will get used to it, but it can be immensely satisfying. I have been outnumbered 3-1 before and made the other army march up a HUGE hill and had them whittled down pretty well by archers. Make sure all your armies have 2+ archer units as well. This can be huge.

ditka311 said:
fissure man said:
madshot31 said:
Update:

I've been checking out the vids on Live and this game looks amazing. It's almost photo-realistic.
:D Looking forward to this one too.
Just checked out some videos of this, looks cool. Looks like one of those games you'll just enjoy riding around and checking things out while you play through the story.

Anyone play and enjoy Fight Night 4 for PS3?

I picked it up used for 20 bucks. I also picked up Lord of the Rings Conquest as it looked like a load of fun with online play and it was only 20 bucks also. Plus I got my kid into the movies and he is eating up everything LotR.

I will be starting Gallop Racer 4 this week.

Update:Playing right now- Lost Odyssey, Left 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands(starting again), Bioshock 2(soon)Excited for- Final Fantasy 13, Red Dead Redemption, Battlefield Bad Company 2Retired- MW2(besides 2v2 tourney)
How is Lost Odyssey?

Just built myself a kickass PC. I've got Fallout3 (not getting into it, might have to give it more time), AoE 3 (didn't like that much), Civ4 (a favorite), Dragon Age (beat the game a couple times now and as geeky as it is, I enjoyed that game), and Command and Conquer 3 (big fan).

Getting ready for C&C4 in March but I'm looking for other games I'd like.

Currently considering Bioshock, Oblivion, and Borderlands. Sifting through this thread for more suggestions as well.

Just built myself a kickass PC. I've got Fallout3 (not getting into it, might have to give it more time), AoE 3 (didn't like that much), Civ4 (a favorite), Dragon Age (beat the game a couple times now and as geeky as it is, I enjoyed that game), and Command and Conquer 3 (big fan).Getting ready for C&C4 in March but I'm looking for other games I'd like.Currently considering Bioshock, Oblivion, and Borderlands. Sifting through this thread for more suggestions as well.
OK, share with us your components. :popcorn: :thumbup:

Update:Playing right now- Lost Odyssey, Left 4 Dead 2, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands(starting again), Bioshock 2(soon)Excited for- Final Fantasy 13, Red Dead Redemption, Battlefield Bad Company 2Retired- MW2(besides 2v2 tourney)
How is Lost Odyssey?
Its is the best traditional RPG since FF9 and 10. The game play is fine for this style of game. The music is top notch. I find the story to be good with some great flashbacks in the form of mini diaries that are all text. The character's seem more...real, in how they react towards situations compared to the cliche standards of the genre. If you like turn based RPGs its a solid choice.

Just built myself a kickass PC. I've got Fallout3 (not getting into it, might have to give it more time), AoE 3 (didn't like that much), Civ4 (a favorite), Dragon Age (beat the game a couple times now and as geeky as it is, I enjoyed that game), and Command and Conquer 3 (big fan).Getting ready for C&C4 in March but I'm looking for other games I'd like.Currently considering Bioshock, Oblivion, and Borderlands. Sifting through this thread for more suggestions as well.
OK, share with us your components. :( ;)
Phenom x4 3.2 Ghz (stock cooler)ASUS M4A79-T Deluxe Mobo8 GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM300GB Velociraptor 10000 RPM C: DriveGeForce GTX 260 (superclocked to 675Mhz, 896MB RAM)Storage: 3 TB in RAID5 (with hotswap drive) for music/movie storage (ripping all cds/DVDs to disc and bringing the cases and crap to a used cd/DVD store)25.5" ASUS monitor (connected via HDMI, currently running 1900 x 1280)ETA: Me = :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

OK, share with us your components. :nerd: :excited:
Phenom x4 3.2 Ghz (stock cooler)ASUS M4A79-T Deluxe Mobo8 GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM300GB Velociraptor 10000 RPM C: DriveGeForce GTX 260 (superclocked to 675Mhz, 896MB RAM)Storage: 3 TB in RAID5 (with hotswap drive) for music/movie storage (ripping all cds/DVDs to disc and bringing the cases and crap to a used cd/DVD store)25.5" ASUS monitor (connected via HDMI, currently running 1900 x 1280)ETA: Me = :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
Not bad at all. That video card is nice, it's the one I have had for a while but I am really eyeing that 5850 in the very near future. Curious why you went AMD quad core when the i5's are pretty close to the same price but perform higher. To each his own, I know, though, since I used to be a pretty die hard AMD fan.You may want to consider an SSD for the boot drive at some point. I :wub: my SSD. Boots in about 20 seconds.That said, :hifive:

OK, share with us your components. :nerd: :excited:
Not bad at all. That video card is nice, it's the one I have had for a while but I am really eyeing that 5850 in the very near future. Curious why you went AMD quad core when the i5's are pretty close to the same price but perform higher. To each his own, I know, though, since I used to be a pretty die hard AMD fan.You may want to consider an SSD for the boot drive at some point. I :wub: my SSD. Boots in about 20 seconds.That said, :hifive:
You know, I went away from SSD because I don't know how they are going to hold up long-term. I did consider it though.I'm an AMD fan. I've built AMD since I started building comps and don't usually look towards Intel due to price alone. Maybe I missed an opportunity here but I must say that I am quite impressed with how stable and quick this PC is.I boot into Windows in about 30 seconds.I'm considering a second GTX 260 in SLI to handle some games. Ever had two video cards in SLI before (or Crossfire)? Thoughts/Comments?ETA: Additionally, I like where AMD is going and also like that their multi core chips each have their own L2 and L3 caches. (sorry everyone :wub: ) Its an AM3 mobo so I wanted to be ready for the next series of AM3 processors. 8 cores on AM3? I sure hope so!

OK, share with us your components. :nerd: :thumbup:
You know, I went away from SSD because I don't know how they are going to hold up long-term. I did consider it though.I'm an AMD fan. I've built AMD since I started building comps and don't usually look towards Intel due to price alone. Maybe I missed an opportunity here but I must say that I am quite impressed with how stable and quick this PC is.I boot into Windows in about 30 seconds.I'm considering a second GTX 260 in SLI to handle some games. Ever had two video cards in SLI before (or Crossfire)? Thoughts/Comments?ETA: Additionally, I like where AMD is going and also like that their multi core chips each have their own L2 and L3 caches. (sorry everyone :nerd: ) Its an AM3 mobo so I wanted to be ready for the next series of AM3 processors. 8 cores on AM3? I sure hope so!
When I started building, I was big into AMD and they owned Intel. Throwing together systems with that San Diego 3700+ chip, then into the Opterons and their insane overclocking with the 146 and dual-core 165's. :nerd:Then came to Core Duo line, though, and it seems like AMD has been in retreat for some time. They own the lower end market - you can build a fantastic system for very little using the AMD X2 chips, for certain. And the AMD/ATI cards are kicking the crap out of NVidia right now. And it's not even close.

Red Dead Redemption looks cool as #### from the trailers, but I think I'm gonna wait to make sure it's not a semi-letdown like games like Gun or Call of Juarez.

Get Bioshock 2 on Steam right now so you can get both Bioshocks for $45.

Users who are viewing this thread