What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Roethlisberger Be Suspended This Season? (3 Viewers)

Will Roethlisberger Be Suspended This Season?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - 1 Game

• Yes - 2 Games

• Yes - 3 Games

• Yes - 4 Games or more

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Lots of talk this morning about possible a suspension for Roethlisberger. By either the NFL or the Steelers. What's your guess on this?

J

Absolutely he'll be suspended, that's pretty much a lock. Like most, my assumption is 2 games, but possibly reduced by a game (a la Marshall last year) if he keeps his nose clean and complies with whatever counseling the league expects him to undergo between now and then.

Absolutely he'll be suspended, that's pretty much a lock. Like most, my assumption is 2 games, but possibly reduced by a game (a la Marshall last year) if he keeps his nose clean and complies with whatever counseling the league expects him to undergo between now and then.
This sounds about right. I don't think he should be since he wasn't even charged with a crime and usually that is the minimum threshold for being suspended (that or fail a drug test). But he has been tried in the court of public opinion and people want to see him squirm.

Is this the feeling you're getting from local Steeler fans too?What's the mood like there?J
The mood in Pittsburgh is overwhelmingly against Ben Roethlisberger. If the Steelers announced a trade tomorrow probably 80% of the fans would be okay with it. Probably 50% of the fans in Pittsburgh would be okay with his release.Time (and winning) can heal many wounds but Ben has an uphill battle in getting the support of Steelers fans back. To be brutally honest I don't think he cares all that much.

It's a disgrace if he is suspended. Voted no. Wouldn't be shocked if Goodell does his thing though.

The Steeler fans and people I know from Pittsburgh have never been overly fond of Big Ben before this episode. I always found it odd, but I would not be surprised at all if the majority of the fan base would be ok with his departure.

The Steeler fans and people I know from Pittsburgh have never been overly fond of Big Ben before this episode. I always found it odd, but I would not be surprised at all if the majority of the fan base would be ok with his departure.
Pittsburghers always find reasons to dislike their QB. It's ingrained in us at a very young age :goodposting:

If the Steelers announced a trade tomorrow probably 80% of the fans would be okay with it. Probably 50% of the fans in Pittsburgh would be okay with his release.
No way.
You haven't been listening to Pittsburgh sports radio or watching local TV news like I have. Ask any other poster that lives in Pittsburgh if you don't believe me.Speaking as a long time season ticket holder I am pretty disgusted about the whole thing. I am not saying they should cut or trade him but I would understand it if they did. I can guarantee you the Steelers will not be introducing the starting lineup of the offense this season for fear of the reaction they will get when they announce the name of Ben Roethlisberger.

Is this the feeling you're getting from local Steeler fans too?What's the mood like there?J
The mood in Pittsburgh is overwhelmingly against Ben Roethlisberger. If the Steelers announced a trade tomorrow probably 80% of the fans would be okay with it. Probably 50% of the fans in Pittsburgh would be okay with his release.Time (and winning) can heal many wounds but Ben has an uphill battle in getting the support of Steelers fans back. To be brutally honest I don't think he cares all that much.
the talk around here yesterday was closer to split 50/50. i heard quite a few folks arguing that Ben should NOT be suspended because he has never been convicted (or even arrested). Sure he has made several bad decisions but, they argue, none warrant a suspension.on the other hand, sunday night Bob Smizik adamantly defended his claim that Roger Godell would act since the NFL agreement is so ambiguous that it doesn't matter whether Ben was arrested or not and Godell wields ultimate power.i vote for a 1 game suspension and a chastity belt.eta: i know of no one locally who would be OK with his release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! :goodposting: Suppose I should have seen that coming...what was the reaction to Santonio's release? All I've heard here was some radio commentary, in praise of Art Rooney.

Interesting ...

Boston attorney says he investigated another Roethlisberger incident

Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2010 11:13 AM ET

So with the possibility of a Georgia prosecution official gone and only a civil lawsuit in Nevada remaining, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger can exhale and focus only on playing football and not barhopping, right?

Maybe not.

Boston lawyer Harry Manion told WEEI's Dennis & Callahan Show on Tuesday that Manion was involved in an investigation regarding another Big Ben incident.

Said Manion: "[T]here is a history here this is just super troubling."

Manion specifically referred to an incident from 2009, also in Nevada. "Six months ago I was retained by a client of mine and a close friend to investigate allegations against Ben Roethlisberger in a Las Vegas nightclub that were absolutely identical to this Georgia girl's story," Manion said.

Manion believes that, if Roethlisberger ever is going to change his ways, the near miss in Georgia will be the impetus.

"Unless he's totally brain dead -- and we don't know -- he would be scared," Manion said. "Because he has really walked a perilous line here. There's a whole litany here, not only my experience, I have connected with several other people that have experience. And you know, there's only so far that he said/she said will get you. There's only so far that paying hush money will get you, if hush money is paid. And there's only so far that, 'Gee, we're celebrities, we have a target on our back,' will get you. When you see this much smoke, month after month and continuously . . . . It's the scene that he's gotten himself caught up with, and the belief that he can walk, and so far, so good. But it's hurting him. He's hurt. He has been damaged. And the next one, the wrath of God's going to come down on him, if there is a next one."

It's compelling stuff, and we agree with Manion's take. That said, the guy has a set of large brass ones to talk about allegations that never were pursued in criminal or civil court. A certain degree of immunity applies to statement made in conjunction with official legal proceedings. Manion has placed himself at risk for a defamation claim, especially by suggesting that there are incidents beyond the Vegas case that he personally handled.

Then again, the primary injury in a defamation case occurs to the reputation of the plaintiff. Like Pacman Jones threatening to sue ESPN in early 2009 after the network released more information about an alleged Atlanta strip club shooting from 2007, Jones would be able to prove no damage to the manner in which any potential untruths harmed his reputation because his reputation was horrendous.

Ben faces the same challenge. Suing Manion or anyone else who claims that he has a more extensive history of Milledgeville-style encounters would expose Roethlisberger's entire reputation to scrutiny. As Roger Clemens has learned the hard way, nothing good comes from that approach -- if hanging in the closet next the devil-face T-shirt is a collection of skeletons.

I will confirm what the other Steeler homers have said. Very little support for Ben in Pittsburgh at this point. He's been alienating his fan base with his antics for years now. Much of it was in the background until recently. I can tell you that I've spoken to at least a dozen people who have encountered Ben in various scenarios and all but 1 came away with a very negative opinion of him. People recognize his talent, but have grown tired of his act.

You can count me in that group. And I'm a guy who has a #7 jersey hanging in my closet. Used to be a big fan. Right now it wouldn't bother me one bit to see him shipped out.

Wow!! :hifive: Suppose I should have seen that coming...what was the reaction to Santonio's release? All I've heard here was some radio commentary, in praise of Art Rooney.
Surprisingly there were a LOT of people criticizing the move on the Steelers Facebook page yesterday. Then again, those folks acted like a bunch of 12-year-olds, so hard to say what the demographic there is.

I will confirm what the other Steeler homers have said. Very little support for Ben in Pittsburgh at this point. He's been alienating his fan base with his antics for years now. Much of it was in the background until recently. I can tell you that I've spoken to at least a dozen people who have encountered Ben in various scenarios and all but 1 came away with a very negative opinion of him. People recognize his talent, but have grown tired of his act.You can count me in that group. And I'm a guy who has a #7 jersey hanging in my closet. Used to be a big fan. Right now it wouldn't bother me one bit to see him shipped out.
And I thought Super Bowl championships used to mean something. Not to mention small things like proof and evidence. Or things like "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't get this. He's a single guy partying with women. If he forced somebody to have sex with him, that's a crime, and I would like to see him in prison. But there is no evidence that this ever happened. Therefore, any suspension seems unfair to me. And I also don't know why we're condemning him.

Interesting ...Boston attorney says he investigated another Roethlisberger incidentPosted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2010 11:13 AM ETSo with the possibility of a Georgia prosecution official gone and only a civil lawsuit in Nevada remaining, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger can exhale and focus only on playing football and not barhopping, right?Maybe not.Boston lawyer Harry Manion told WEEI's Dennis & Callahan Show on Tuesday that Manion was involved in an investigation regarding another Big Ben incident.Said Manion: "[T]here is a history here this is just super troubling."Manion specifically referred to an incident from 2009, also in Nevada. "Six months ago I was retained by a client of mine and a close friend to investigate allegations against Ben Roethlisberger in a Las Vegas nightclub that were absolutely identical to this Georgia girl's story," Manion said.Manion believes that, if Roethlisberger ever is going to change his ways, the near miss in Georgia will be the impetus.
Ed Bouchette is talking about this right now and saying the Steelers are mulling their options right now.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't get this. He's a single guy partying with women. If he forced somebody to have sex with him, that's a crime, and I would like to see him in prison. But there is no evidence that this ever happened. Therefore, any suspension seems unfair to me. And I also don't know why we're condemning him.
I was in this camp after the first allegation but the details that came out yesterday and now reports of another incident in Las Vegas is makling me think twice.I think it might be best for the Steelers and Roethlisberger if he were traded. He is going to have an uphill battle getting support from the peope of Pittsburgh.

I will confirm what the other Steeler homers have said. Very little support for Ben in Pittsburgh at this point. He's been alienating his fan base with his antics for years now. Much of it was in the background until recently. I can tell you that I've spoken to at least a dozen people who have encountered Ben in various scenarios and all but 1 came away with a very negative opinion of him. People recognize his talent, but have grown tired of his act.You can count me in that group. And I'm a guy who has a #7 jersey hanging in my closet. Used to be a big fan. Right now it wouldn't bother me one bit to see him shipped out.
And I thought Super Bowl championships used to mean something. Not to mention small things like proof and evidence. Or things like "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
For some people the only thing that matters are the results on the field. I'm not one of those people. If I can't respect the man, at least a little, I can't cheer for the player. That's just me.And you can talk about "proof and evidence" when it comes to the legal system, but when it comes to the court of public opinion, many of us have plenty of proof and evidence to make our minds up. I never said he was a criminal. But I think he's a selfish, arrogant, cocky punk who thinks he can get away with doing whatever he pleases. I've got enough evidence to feel comfortable with that assessment.As for the Scripture verse, you might want to take the time to learn the context of what's being taught before you throw it out there in a situation where it's not applicable.

I was in this camp after the first allegation but the details that came out yesterday and now reports of another incident in Las Vegas is makling me think twice.I think it might be best for the Steelers and Roethlisberger if he were traded. He is going to have an uphill battle getting support from the peope of Pittsburgh.
Yeah, right after I wrote that, I read about this new allegation. Gotta admit, I'm deeply troubled. I hate to convict people without proof but- I dunno. Maybe the guy really is a scumbag after all.

Mort was on Mike and Mike just a little while go and guessed anywhere from 1-3 with a possible reduction after appeal...

not sure you should get suspended here.....we still don't know what really happened.....Ben is filing a counter suit in the first case to try and clear his name in that one, who knows what will happen with this one.....if he did something wrong, he should be punished....if he was wrongly accused, which could be a possibility, then life should go on....

does he maybe need to step back and take a look at things....sure....but unless the NFL wants to come up with a "No One Night Stands Allowed" policy or a "Don't Make Out With Drunk Ladies at Da Club" policy, this kind of thing could happen to almost every player in the league at some point.....dude is a single 28 year old NFL QB.....it's really not supposed to get much better than that.....it's tough to say "don't put yourself in that position".....

somewhere Joe Namath is wiping his brow glad he didn't play in today's world........

How about if it was your daughter, still no problem?The guy is trash and will get away with it. Please explain why he continues to put himself in these situations. He is not the only rich football, baseball, basketball, soccer, NASCAR, Hockey, TV, movie celebrity that could be extorted, why does this not happen to ALL the rich young professionals out there. We both know why, there is more to life than proof, everyone can be bought off for a price.

How about if it was your daughter, still no problem?The guy is trash and will get away with it. Please explain why he continues to put himself in these situations. He is not the only rich football, baseball, basketball, soccer, NASCAR, Hockey, TV, movie celebrity that could be extorted, why does this not happen to ALL the rich young professionals out there. We both know why, there is more to life than proof, everyone can be bought off for a price.
I don't think a single person on here wants to consider that their daughter getting hammered and having sex in a dingy bathroom.That's not really the point.

I will confirm what the other Steeler homers have said. Very little support for Ben in Pittsburgh at this point. He's been alienating his fan base with his antics for years now. Much of it was in the background until recently. I can tell you that I've spoken to at least a dozen people who have encountered Ben in various scenarios and all but 1 came away with a very negative opinion of him. People recognize his talent, but have grown tired of his act.

You can count me in that group. And I'm a guy who has a #7 jersey hanging in my closet. Used to be a big fan. Right now it wouldn't bother me one bit to see him shipped out.
For some people the only thing that matters are the results on the field. I'm not one of those people. If I can't respect the man, at least a little, I can't cheer for the player. That's just me.And you can talk about "proof and evidence" when it comes to the legal system, but when it comes to the court of public opinion, many of us have plenty of proof and evidence to make our minds up. I never said he was a criminal. But I think he's a selfish, arrogant, cocky punk who thinks he can get away with doing whatever he pleases. I've got enough evidence to feel comfortable with that assessment.

As for the Scripture verse, you might want to take the time to learn the context of what's being taught before you throw it out there in a situation where it's not applicable.
I'd hate to see you possibly get wrongly accused and still have people pass judgment on you...probably not a ton of fun......the second bolded statement describes many, many athletes....all the way back to high school....wouldn't have too many sports to watch if we eliminated these guys......

If the Steelers announced a trade tomorrow probably 80% of the fans would be okay with it. Probably 50% of the fans in Pittsburgh would be okay with his release.
No way.
You haven't been listening to Pittsburgh sports radio or watching local TV news like I have. Ask any other poster that lives in Pittsburgh if you don't believe me.Speaking as a long time season ticket holder I am pretty disgusted about the whole thing. I am not saying they should cut or trade him but I would understand it if they did. I can guarantee you the Steelers will not be introducing the starting lineup of the offense this season for fear of the reaction they will get when they announce the name of Ben Roethlisberger.
I totally agree. He got 33.2M guaranteed in his contract - he was paid a 25.2M signing bonus in 2008, a 4M bonus in 2009 and another 4M bonus in 2010(don't know if it has been paid yet). I doubt the Steelers would trade him because of money they have already paid him but everything I have read in the Pittsburgh media since yesterday says Art Rooney II was 'livid' after learning the details in the GA DA's statements yesterday. Right now I think anything is possible.I expect two things to happen next - he get suspended by Goodell, the Steelers or both and the NFL Players union gets involved in fighting any suspension.

I don't think Goodel will suspend him without charges having been filed. I think Goodel and the Steelers have talked aboubt how this is going to go down, Goodel will read Ben the riot act and put the fear of God in him, then the Steelers will suspend him for two games.

I would hope that it wouldn't matter whose daughter it was..... :rolleyes: and if it were my daughter and it really happened, I would be encourgaing her to pursue it all the way....just like I would encourage your duaghter to do the same.....

I don't think a single person on her wants to consider that their daughter getting hammered and having sex in a dingy bathroom.That's not really the point.
Fine then answer the 2nd paragraph. By the way a lot of daughters and wives do, even if you choose to not want to think about it.

I'd hate to see you possibly get wrongly accused and still have people pass judgment on you...probably not a ton of fun......the second bolded statement describes many, many athletes....all the way back to high school....wouldn't have too many sports to watch if we eliminated these guys......
It's not a single incident, it's a pattern.As for your second statement, personally, I'm starting to wonder if it's time to significantly decrease the amount of time I spend watching sports. I love sports, but I'm really tired of the actions and the attitudes of way too many of the athletes.

I can guarantee you the Steelers will not be introducing the starting lineup of the offense this season for fear of the reaction they will get when they announce the name of Ben Roethlisberger.
I was actually thinking about this today, and agree with you. That's when you know you've got a serious PR problem. When you can't introduce your $100 million, two-time SB championship QB without the fear of him getting booed out of the stadium.

For some people the only thing that matters are the results on the field. I'm not one of those people. If I can't respect the man, at least a little, I can't cheer for the player. That's just me.
You'll never be able to explain this concept to a Cowboys fan. I asked the question after the Pacman signing (if they could cheer for a guy like that), and they acted like they didn't even understand the question. It's all about bottom line for them.

How about if it was your daughter, still no problem?
I get a similar question sometimes when I get into heated discussions about the death penalty. Therefore, I will give you the same answer I give then:If it were my daughter, I would certainly look at the situation far more emotionally. Most likely my abilities to use reason and logic would be impaired. Thankfully, however, it is not my daughter and I am able to look at things with hopefully a little more objectivity.

For some people the only thing that matters are the results on the field. I'm not one of those people. If I can't respect the man, at least a little, I can't cheer for the player. That's just me.And you can talk about "proof and evidence" when it comes to the legal system, but when it comes to the court of public opinion, many of us have plenty of proof and evidence to make our minds up. I never said he was a criminal. But I think he's a selfish, arrogant, cocky punk who thinks he can get away with doing whatever he pleases. I've got enough evidence to feel comfortable with that assessment.As for the Scripture verse, you might want to take the time to learn the context of what's being taught before you throw it out there in a situation where it's not applicable.
Fair enough. Everyone has their own opinion. Just hope people that believe as you do get an upstanding (at least that your aware of, you'll be heard pressed to ever find a group of 52 good people in any one place) 6-10 team so they can reflect on it.The way I reconcile my morals is that I support a team, not individuals. It's up to the law and whatever powers one wants to believe in to make further judgments. Honestly don't see how people follow sports (or any other form of entertainment provided by others) any other way without turning off a good part of their brain to reality.Also, to those that think he should be suspended, exactly what action do you believe should justify it?1. He went to a bar? (I think all adults should be allowed to do this)2. He got drunk? (I think all adults should be allowed to do this)3. He allowed other women to get drunk? (They had a choice)4. He didn't check the IDs of every woman in a public bar? (He did buy the drinks, but I don't personally believe there's any moral difference between 20 and 21 and the law decided to not charge him)5. He had sex in a restroom? (not the most romantic thing, but some people like it. What places are acceptable?)6. He had sex with a 20 year old? (perfectly legal and I don't think the difference between 28 and 20 is morally wrong)7. He had someone guarding the door? (Given the above, I think it's normal to want to keep people from walking in on you having sex)8. The woman, or at least her friends claimed rape? (I think it's an unfair criteria since rich football players are key targets for lying women)9. The media found out and reported it? (This seems to be what people are using, seems odd because media involvement is not a moral judgment)10. He plays for the holier than thou Steelers? (The Steelers are morally no better or worse than any other sports team out there)

I get a similar question sometimes when I get into heated discussions about the death penalty. Therefore, I will give you the same answer I give then:If it were my daughter, I would certainly look at the situation far more emotionally. Most likely my abilities to use reason and logic would be impaired. Thankfully, however, it is not my daughter and I am able to look at things with hopefully a little more objectivity.
I have a 21 year old daughter and obviously I would be ready to kill any guy that would take advantage of her. I absolutely would hold him accountable. I would also be plenty pissed at my daughter for putting herself in the situation.

You really think that's a fair and unbiased criteria to use to judge someone's actions? Laws and the criteria we use to judge people should created from a standpoint of an impartial observer. That's because love and personal relationships involve irrational emotions which cloud our judgment on how right or wrong something is. I'd want to seriously hurt a guy that cheated on my daughter or treated her badly. That doesn't mean those actions should be illegal or that I think that person should be fired/suspended from his job. Actually, there are laws in place to specifically keep me from acting on my emotions.

You really think that's a fair and unbiased criteria to use to judge someone's actions? Laws and the criteria we use to judge people should created from a standpoint of an impartial observer. That's because love and personal relationships involve irrational emotions which cloud our judgment on how right or wrong something is. I'd want to seriously hurt a guy that cheated on my daughter or treated her badly. That doesn't mean those actions should be illegal or that I think that person should be fired/suspended from his job. Actually, there are laws in place to specifically keep me from acting on my emotions.
He's the public face of a lucrative business and he is creating a lot of problems for said business. He is going to get a slap on the wrist. If he doesn't get a lot smarter about his actions soon his employer will likely give him something more than a slap on the wrist.This isn't about the law, it's about running a business. Right now his ability is trumping the damage to the Steelers image, but from what I know of the Rooneys he is treading a very fine line.

I have a 21 year old daughter and obviously I would be ready to kill any guy that would take advantage of her. I absolutely would hold him accountable. I would also be plenty pissed at my daughter for putting herself in the situation.
which is all that people can get really pissed at Ben about in this situation as well.....so why is it different for him...?....does your daughter get slammed in the "court of public opinion" and would she get suspended by her boss for having sex in a bathroom......

How much credence would you give to the possibility that he bought his way out of this?

J

things like "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
People love restate this passage, but always fail to quote the entire context. Is it because whoever they defend knows that they cannot keep up the "Go, and sin no more" part? I think so.

which is all that people can get really pissed at Ben about in this situation as well.....so why is it different for him...?....does your daughter get slammed in the "court of public opinion" and would she get suspended by her boss for having sex in a bathroom......
Depends on the job I guess. It's a free country if Ben doesn't want a job where he can be put into the "court of public opinion" he is free to go find one where no one cares.

Users who are viewing this thread