What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

AT&T just did away with its all-you-can-eat smartphone data plans — bad news for those who stream video on their iPhones all day, but potentially good news for the rest of us, given that the cheapest of the new capped plans goes for just $15 (rather than $30) a month. Also: AT&T is finally ready to offer iPhone tethering.

First, a little background. Up until now, AT&T was charging all of its smartphone customers — including iPhone users — $30 a month for unlimited data usage. Starting Monday, June 7, the unlimited data option will be going away for new subscribers, to be replaced by two cheaper, capped plans. (If you're currently on an unlimited AT&T smartphone data plan, you don't have to switch to the new, capped options, which are required for new subscribers only. But AT&T says you can opt to make the switch without extending your contract.)

DataPro: Heavy smartphone users will probably opt for this $25-a-month plan, which offers up to 2GB of data a month at a $5 savings over the current unlimited plan. If you go over your 2GB monthly allotment, AT&T will charge you $10 for an additional gigabyte. No, overage charges are never fun, but it's certainly better than typical per-MB overage rates, which result in those catastrophic $50,000 cell phone bills you see on CNN.

DataPlus: A $15-a-month option that offers 200MB of monthly data, good for (as AT&T puts it) 1,000 e-mails without attachments, plus 150 messages with attachments, plus 400 Web pages, plus about 20 minutes of streaming video. If you crack the 200MB monthly cap, you get another 200MB for $15.

also

What about those $30-a-month unlimited prepaid plans for the iPad? They're going away too, unfortunately, to be replaced by the $25-a-month DataPro plan — and that's a bummer, considering the iPad's aptitude at streaming video. But at least AT&T is offering up free, unlimited use of its 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots.

Last but not least: Almost a full year after Apple first announced that the iPhone would support Internet tethering, AT&T is finally set to offering a tethering plan for U.S. iPhone users (starting "when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer"). Welcome news, but keep in mind that you'll fork over $20 a month extra to tether your iPhone (via USB or Bluetooth) to your laptop.

I guess this was inevitable once they announced tethering, as people would be going nuts on the network without the cap.

Also, what is the typical usage on an ipad per month? How many movies can you stream per month? I would imagine not that many? Would that be a negative if you travel a lot?

AT&T just did away with its all-you-can-eat smartphone data plans — bad news for those who stream video on their iPhones all day, but potentially good news for the rest of us, given that the cheapest of the new capped plans goes for just $15 (rather than $30) a month. Also: AT&T is finally ready to offer iPhone tethering.

First, a little background. Up until now, AT&T was charging all of its smartphone customers — including iPhone users — $30 a month for unlimited data usage. Starting Monday, June 7, the unlimited data option will be going away for new subscribers, to be replaced by two cheaper, capped plans. (If you're currently on an unlimited AT&T smartphone data plan, you don't have to switch to the new, capped options, which are required for new subscribers only. But AT&T says you can opt to make the switch without extending your contract.)

DataPro: Heavy smartphone users will probably opt for this $25-a-month plan, which offers up to 2GB of data a month at a $5 savings over the current unlimited plan. If you go over your 2GB monthly allotment, AT&T will charge you $10 for an additional gigabyte. No, overage charges are never fun, but it's certainly better than typical per-MB overage rates, which result in those catastrophic $50,000 cell phone bills you see on CNN.

DataPlus: A $15-a-month option that offers 200MB of monthly data, good for (as AT&T puts it) 1,000 e-mails without attachments, plus 150 messages with attachments, plus 400 Web pages, plus about 20 minutes of streaming video. If you crack the 200MB monthly cap, you get another 200MB for $15.

also

What about those $30-a-month unlimited prepaid plans for the iPad? They're going away too, unfortunately, to be replaced by the $25-a-month DataPro plan — and that's a bummer, considering the iPad's aptitude at streaming video. But at least AT&T is offering up free, unlimited use of its 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots.

Last but not least: Almost a full year after Apple first announced that the iPhone would support Internet tethering, AT&T is finally set to offering a tethering plan for U.S. iPhone users (starting "when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer"). Welcome news, but keep in mind that you'll fork over $20 a month extra to tether your iPhone (via USB or Bluetooth) to your laptop.
People who currently have the all you can eat option can be grandfathered in

I guess this was inevitable once they announced tethering, as people would be going nuts on the network without the cap.Also, what is the typical usage on an ipad per month? How many movies can you stream per month? I would imagine not that many? Would that be a negative if you travel a lot?
the guy in the article said:I consider myself a pretty heavy iPhone user, so I was leaning toward the $25-a-month DataPro plan. But to my great surprise, I found that I'd used barely a gigabyte of AT&T 3G data in the past seven — count 'em, seven — months, or about 133MB of data every 30 days. I guess that means I do the majority of my iPhone browsing and streaming over Wi-Fi. So I just might switch to DataPlus rather than to DataPro. I'd save $15 a month over my current $30-a-month unlimited plan, give or take the occasional overage charge.all in all it is just a step backwards (from AT&T not Apple) to me

goonsquad said:
AT&T announced some changes to the iPhone data plans, but iPad 3G owners are affected, too: AT&T is doing away with the $30/month unlimited data plan. Instead you'll pay $25/month for 2GB:

For new iPad customers, the $25 per month 2 GB plan will replace the existing $29.99 unlimited plan. iPad customers will continue to pre-pay for their wireless data plan and no contract is required. Existing iPad customers who have the $29.99 per month unlimited plan can keep that plan or switch to the new $25 per month plan with 2 GB of data.

The new data plan will kick in on June 7, but the good news is that folks who have the unlimited plan before that time can grandfather it. [PR Newsswire]

:popcorn:
Read about this today. Apparently AT&T is reporting that the 2GB plan for 25 bucks is sufficient to cover 98% of its customers. Only the top end 2% are using more than 2GB a month. Even though I have the unlimited plan for 30 bucks a month, I may ratchet down if my usage doesn't exceed that (I can't imagine it will), save 5 bucks a month.

It's sort of funny to see all these new tablet concepts coming out on engadget and gizmodo and seeing that every single one looks exactly like an iPad. Particularly after people in these threads complained so much about silly things like the black border around the screen (they all seem to have that), the size, and the like. Something about the sincerest form of flattery....

Link
???http://www.pcworld.com/article/186281/the_...10_roundup.html

People were talking about all the tablets at the CES back in January before the ipad had even been announced.

I don't think people were complaining that there was a bezel around the screen of the ipad when it came out, they were simply surprised how big the bezel was. Pretty much every screen has a bezel around it of some size. The only problem I had with the ipad bezel was that it was thick all the way around the screen. If it had been thin at the top and bottom of the ipad you could have viewed content in 16:9.

It's sort of funny to see all these new tablet concepts coming out on engadget and gizmodo and seeing that every single one looks exactly like an iPad. Particularly after people in these threads complained so much about silly things like the black border around the screen (they all seem to have that), the size, and the like. Something about the sincerest form of flattery....

Link

People were talking about all the tablets at the CES back in January before the ipad had even been announced.

I don't think people were complaining that there was a bezel around the screen of the ipad when it came out, they were simply surprised how big the bezel was. Pretty much every screen has a bezel around it of some size. The only problem I had with the ipad bezel was that it was thick all the way around the screen. If it had been thin at the top and bottom of the ipad you could have viewed content in 16:9.
They all look exactly like an iPad. This is like when cell phones used to all look like a Nokia or Motorola flip phone, and then Apple releases the iPhone, and now every smartphone out there looks exactly like an iPhone.

goonsquad said:
AT&T announced some changes to the iPhone data plans, but iPad 3G owners are affected, too: AT&T is doing away with the $30/month unlimited data plan. Instead you'll pay $25/month for 2GB:

For new iPad customers, the $25 per month 2 GB plan will replace the existing $29.99 unlimited plan. iPad customers will continue to pre-pay for their wireless data plan and no contract is required. Existing iPad customers who have the $29.99 per month unlimited plan can keep that plan or switch to the new $25 per month plan with 2 GB of data.

The new data plan will kick in on June 7, but the good news is that folks who have the unlimited plan before that time can grandfather it. [PR Newsswire]

:lmao:
Read about this today. Apparently AT&T is reporting that the 2GB plan for 25 bucks is sufficient to cover 98% of its customers. Only the top end 2% are using more than 2GB a month. Even though I have the unlimited plan for 30 bucks a month, I may ratchet down if my usage doesn't exceed that (I can't imagine it will), save 5 bucks a month.
If you read the quote carefully they say that 98% of smartphone users don't use more than 2GBs, not iphone users. And this doesnt even take into account ipad users whom im sure use more than 2GBs a month. They are the ones really getting screwed here.

goonsquad said:

If you read the quote carefully they say that 98% of smartphone users don't use more than 2GBs, not iphone users. And this doesnt even take into account ipad users whom im sure use more than 2GBs a month. They are the ones really getting screwed here.
You're wrong. During my first month I was not all that far over the pace for their $15/month plan to make sense (which only gave you 250MB). I went over that, but not by a ton. So even if I had DOUBLED it -- which I didn't -- I'd have been looking at 1GB a month. That's still half what the new plan is offering.Maybe other folks use it a whole lot more than me. I used it mostly at home over Wifi, I admit that, but I took it with me every time I left the house and used it all the time.

goonsquad said:

Ordered mine about 2 weeks ago. It came in today and I'm glad it did so I could go ahead and get the unlimited at $30 prior to June 7th. I really don't know if I'll use it enough to justify the unlimited plan, but for an extra $5 a month it seems worth it. If I end up never coming close to the $25 2Gb threshold, I'll change it later.

So I turned off the wifi and loaded up a few apps to test out the 3G. Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the speed. I'm currently in North Scottsdale and have no idea if the coverage is good here or not. Loaded up a movie on Netflix and it keeps stuttering. Guess I can see that over the 3G and it will likely be better with wifi, but I do think I'll surf the net over 3G quite a bit and so far that seems slow.

So without going through 50 some pages, any highly recommended apps? I saw the Atomic browser recommendation and I'll try that. Any others?

goonsquad said:

How so? It's clear that ATT will allow existing customers who have unlimited plan to be grandfathered in

goonsquad said:

You're wrong. During my first month I was not all that far over the pace for their $15/month plan to make sense (which only gave you 250MB). I went over that, but not by a ton. So even if I had DOUBLED it -- which I didn't -- I'd have been looking at 1GB a month. That's still half what the new plan is offering.Maybe other folks use it a whole lot more than me. I used it mostly at home over Wifi, I admit that, but I took it with me every time I left the house and used it all the time.
Then why do this? Why is ATT losing $5 per customer if almost nobody went over 2GBs in the first place? Because with the ipad and soon to be iphone HD they know people will use well above that.

Link

They all look exactly like an iPad.
Yes, and they were at CES in early JANUARY. I don't think you are making that connection.

Link

They all look exactly like an iPad. This is like when cell phones used to all look like a Nokia or Motorola flip phone, and then Apple releases the iPhone, and now every smartphone out there looks exactly like an iPhone.
Same with TVs they all look the same...flatHow else can you really design a tablet?

goonsquad said:

How so? It's clear that ATT will allow existing customers who have unlimited plan to be grandfathered in
So? The thing has been on sale for all of a month and ATT is already changing plans. Who's to say they won't do it again. The unlimited pricing plan was the biggest selling point. Without it, it's a lot less attractive. Don't believe me look around the net at the outrage.

goonsquad said:

Ordered mine about 2 weeks ago. It came in today and I'm glad it did so I could go ahead and get the unlimited at $30 prior to June 7th. I really don't know if I'll use it enough to justify the unlimited plan, but for an extra $5 a month it seems worth it. If I end up never coming close to the $25 2Gb threshold, I'll change it later.

So I turned off the wifi and loaded up a few apps to test out the 3G. Gotta say I'm a little disappointed in the speed. I'm currently in North Scottsdale and have no idea if the coverage is good here or not. Loaded up a movie on Netflix and it keeps stuttering. Guess I can see that over the 3G and it will likely be better with wifi, but I do think I'll surf the net over 3G quite a bit and so far that seems slow.

So without going through 50 some pages, any highly recommended apps? I saw the Atomic browser recommendation and I'll try that. Any others?
I am still a little frustrated with the 3G speeds. Sometimes it's better than others, but it's way slower than over Wifi for sure.I'm absolutely loving the Pulse news reader app. I like it much more than early edition. Load up all your favorite RSS sources and it's a great interface.

Air Sharing is great for transferring files over the Wifi network to the iPad and for viewing files. GoodReader is a great file viewer also, if you're doing a lot of work on it (like I am) reading PDF files etc.

Weatherbug for weather

Pandora for music

NY Times Editors Choice for other news

Simplenote is great for typing up short notes, or draft papers/essays/etc., and e-mailing them to yourself.

Also bought Keynote for giving presentations and Pages for word processing, though I never use Pages.

That's my main page in a nutshell.

Aroundme is good for finding stuff. Urbanspoon is good for finding food. Kayak for flights. All the movie sites have apps for buying movie tickets.

iTeleport is great for remote controlling your PC desktop while at home (I've even done it over the 3G connection, but it's slow) -- this is how I play online poker on the iPad here and there.

WhiteNoisePro a cool app for sleeping sounds.

If you have Fios TV at home, DVR Manager is a must.

Airvideo lets you stream movies from your PC over the Wifi to the iPad (which I then hook up to the plasma to watch movies).

Words with Friends HD is fun if you're into scrabble. I uninstalled because I was playing WAYYY too much (thanks everyone).

Whistle lets you make phone calls from it. (Plug in headphones that have a built-in mic (like that come with the iphone)).

Those are my main ones. I have many pages of others, but this is all I've used much.

Yes, Atomic Web is a good browser. I still use that mixed with Safari some.

goonsquad said:

So? The thing has been on sale for all of a month and ATT is already changing plans. Who's to say they won't do it again. The unlimited pricing plan was the biggest selling point. Without it, it's a lot less attractive. Don't believe me look around the net at the outrage.
I don't have a problem with it at all. Folks want to be outraged? Oh well. People will be outraged at just about anything. But even if I were stuck with 2GB, it's more data than I use.

Link

Uh, no.

No?? What about all the complaints about the thick black bezel?? You know, the same exact thick black bezel around every other tablet that is "rumored" or "announced" in the past month?

iPad > YourPad

goonsquad said:

:hophead:
Then why do this? Why is ATT losing $5 per customer if almost nobody went over 2GBs in the first place? Because with the ipad and soon to be iphone HD they know people will use well above that.
Because they are going to allow tethering when the iPhone OS 4.0 comes out later this year.

There are two options for tracking your bandwidth usage on the iPad. If you tap View Your Account under Settings -> Cellular Data, you can see how much data you’ve used and how much you have left for your billing period. However, I found that this meter doesn’t usually update immediately. You can also view usage under Settings -> General -> Usage, which seems to present a more current picture of your bandwidth situation.
http://www.macworld.com/article/151065/201..._data_test.html

There are two options for tracking your bandwidth usage on the iPad. If you tap View Your Account under Settings -> Cellular Data, you can see how much data you’ve used and how much you have left for your billing period. However, I found that this meter doesn’t usually update immediately. You can also view usage under Settings -> General -> Usage, which seems to present a more current picture of your bandwidth situation.
Great info here. Thank you sir.

Whoa. I've had my iPhone over a year, and I am under 5GB total. Time to save some money on monthly bill.

Whoa. I've had my iPhone over a year, and I am under 5GB total. Time to save some money on monthly bill.
You can also check your monthly data usage trends by signing on to your account on AT&T's site and clicking 'View Past Data Useage'.

I'm at about 600MB on my iPad. I got the 3G the day it came out. Its been over a month right? Yeah 2GB will be well more than enough. I'm going down from unlimited to that plan.

goonsquad said:

:thumbup:
What!?! Is 2GB a lot?

goonsquad said:

:rolleyes:
What!?! Is 2GB a lot?
I've had the iPad 3G for over a month now. I have left the apartment without it maybe twice. My usage is around 600MB.2GB is apparently a lot for me.

goonsquad said:

:fishing:
What!?! Is 2GB a lot?
Depends what ur doing with it and how much you use the 3G vs WiFi. If you plan on downloading movies or videos, you'll use 2 GB in no time. If ur just surfing the net or sending emails it'll prolly be enough unless you're on all the time.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out with technology going forward. If it were me, I'd pay the extra $5 and be grandfather'd in. There is no telling what type of overhead will be added to the maturing mobile OS world....it's still in it's infancy really.

Remember when Windows could run on 1M of RAM?? Now look at it...look at any OS really. Most require a minimum of 1G now....that's bare minimum.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out with technology going forward. If it were me, I'd pay the extra $5 and be grandfather'd in. There is no telling what type of overhead will be added to the maturing mobile OS world....it's still in it's infancy really.Remember when Windows could run on 1M of RAM?? Now look at it...look at any OS really. Most require a minimum of 1G now....that's bare minimum.
I don't really see the comparison at all, Commish. This is easily changeable by ATT, whereas increasing RAM took time/investment and sometimes you had an obsolete machine that couldn't even do the upgrade. If demands for content raised significantly so that people needed more than 2 GB they'll have a higher plan. I wouldn't worry about getting in on the grandfathered unlimited plan if you didn't need more than the 2 GB plan right now.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out with technology going forward. If it were me, I'd pay the extra $5 and be grandfather'd in. There is no telling what type of overhead will be added to the maturing mobile OS world....it's still in it's infancy really.Remember when Windows could run on 1M of RAM?? Now look at it...look at any OS really. Most require a minimum of 1G now....that's bare minimum.
This was originally my thinking as well, but the only way you are going to break the 2GB limit is if you don't move large movie files over wifi but use the 3G to do this instead. Currently movies are downsized in terms of quality over 3G anyways. The only other way you are breaking the 2GB is if you are receiving emails with large attachments (i.e. using it for work). If there was a way to only download large emails over wifi (or at least give you a warning prior to making the large DL) then it would make sense to go for the 2GB plan.

goonsquad said:

:pickle:
What!?! Is 2GB a lot?
Depends what ur doing with it and how much you use the 3G vs WiFi. If you plan on downloading movies or videos, you'll use 2 GB in no time. If ur just surfing the net or sending emails it'll prolly be enough unless you're on all the time.
You're not gonna be doing a lot of downloading movies over the 3G network. I promise.

I don't really see the comparison at all, Commish. This is easily changeable by ATT, whereas increasing RAM took time/investment and sometimes you had an obsolete machine that couldn't even do the upgrade. If demands for content raised significantly so that people needed more than 2 GB they'll have a higher plan. I wouldn't worry about getting in on the grandfathered unlimited plan if you didn't need more than the 2 GB plan right now.
No idea what you are trying to prove.

This was originally my thinking as well, but the only way you are going to break the 2GB limit is if you don't move large movie files over wifi but use the 3G to do this instead. Currently movies are downsized in terms of quality over 3G anyways. The only other way you are breaking the 2GB is if you are receiving emails with large attachments (i.e. using it for work). If there was a way to only download large emails over wifi (or at least give you a warning prior to making the large DL) then it would make sense to go for the 2GB plan.
I can see this, but I suspect there will be a significant increase in streaming content that folks will be using. My only point is, it's $5 a month for no cap. I think it's worth the investment. I understand that AT&T can open up an unlimited plan in the future if the market warrants it. By then, it will be more than $30 a month. They'd be stupid not to do it. The reality is, there is a lot of technology coming down the pipe that will require increased bandwidth and the average user isn't going to care about whether it's coming via wifi or 3G...they'll just care that they are getting what they want. $5 a month is a small price to pay for not having to worry one way or the other IMO....that's all.

To be honest, I still have no idea where you were going with your comparison. It's not like you're buying hardware here. You're choosing a data plan. I think you're saying that in the future the 2 GB /month might be nothing but my point is that if it becomes nothing, they will change the plan. So why pay the $5/mo. in the mean time? Seems pointless if you don't need it now.

To be honest, I still have no idea where you were going with your comparison. It's not like you're buying hardware here. You're choosing a data plan. I think you're saying that in the future the 2 GB /month might be nothing but my point is that if it becomes nothing, they will change the plan. So why pay the $5/mo. in the mean time? Seems pointless if you don't need it now.
My guess is it will be more than $30 a month if they provide it in the future....so I'd be willing to pay a small premium for a period of time to get a discount for the future.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out with technology going forward. If it were me, I'd pay the extra $5 and be grandfather'd in. There is no telling what type of overhead will be added to the maturing mobile OS world....it's still in it's infancy really.

Remember when Windows could run on 1M of RAM?? Now look at it...look at any OS really. Most require a minimum of 1G now....that's bare minimum.
Because you might need it later and then it could cost more. Now will it cost more than the aggregate of all those $5/month charges until you need it? That is the question.

My guess is it will be more than $30 a month if they provide it in the future....so I'd be willing to pay a small premium for a period of time to get a discount for the future.
Why do you think you'd get a discount in the future if they offer an unlimited plan at a higher rate. Its not like you signed a contract or anything. They can kick you off of it at any time.

Why do you think you'd get a discount in the future if they offer an unlimited plan at a higher rate. Its not like you signed a contract or anything. They can kick you off of it at any time.
I am assuming that grandfather'd in means just that....that your plan will be unlimited for $30 a month. If they kick you off or change your price then you aren't really being grandfather'd in. So while they are charging people $35 a month, I'd be paying $30....that's a discount :goodposting:

I am assuming that grandfather'd in means just that....that your plan will be unlimited for $30 a month. If they kick you off or change your price then you aren't really being grandfather'd in. So while they are charging people $35 a month, I'd be paying $30....that's a discount :goodposting:
you're grandfathered until they decide you aren't anymore. If they later offer an unlimited plan for $50, i'm willing to bet your bill goes up to $50 as well. think its naive to think you're now going to get unlimited data for the rest of your life for $30. prices go up all the time.

I am assuming that grandfather'd in means just that....that your plan will be unlimited for $30 a month. If they kick you off or change your price then you aren't really being grandfather'd in. So while they are charging people $35 a month, I'd be paying $30....that's a discount :unsure:
you're grandfathered until they decide you aren't anymore. If they later offer an unlimited plan for $50, i'm willing to bet your bill goes up to $50 as well. think its naive to think you're now going to get unlimited data for the rest of your life for $30. prices go up all the time.
Then they need to use something other than grandfathered :shrug: Just going by what they called it. If that's not what they mean, then all bets are off.

Users who are viewing this thread