What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (1 Viewer)

Had a video game credit that expired tomorrow on Amazon so I pre-ordered Halo: Reach today, which gave me yet another credit. Probably use that on a pre-order of Gears 3 or Fallout New Vegas when those go on special.

Been out for the day. Today's Steam 1-day deals that are worth noting are: Mass Effect 2 for $23.99 (if you missed this deal the first time), Left 4 Dead 1 for $6.80, Torchlight for $5 and Shatter for $2.50 (think Arkanoid with a twist).

These should be good until around 12:00 or 1:00 EDT tomorrow.

Playing slaps with Cliffy B, walking down the stairs with the PS3 3D glasses, realizing Pac-Man is 30 years old, playing football at 4:17 with a nerd, missing the bowling fan when playing Kinects. :excited: :lmao: :lmao:

Steam deals for today:

Borderlands for $10.19

Prototype $14.99

Crysis $14.99

Star Wars: Empire at War $4.99

Beat Hazard $2.49 (sum#####, I bought this the other day for $5. Oh well)

Day of Defeat: Source $2.49

Saints Row 2 $7.49

Bionic Commando Pack (includes both Bionic Commando Rearmed and the 3rd person Bionic Commando) for $11.24 (75% off) I think it's worth it just for Rearmed, IMO. The new one isn't half bad.

Half-Life 2 for $3.39 if someone doesn't have it. In fact, I have a free one still if someone doesn't have it. Just let me know. This has been claimed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of a letdown today, being the final day of the Summer of Steam sale. Just rehashing a lot of the deals they had already (Civ IV complete pack for $10 etc).

Just finished Borderlands - very highly recommended. It's at least 5 times better than the much more hyped Red Dead Redemption.
Wow....I was really pondering going with this title which has come down in price over Red Dead Redemption. Please post your reasons for this....I am buying a new game today and it is between these 2 titles.
They are both good, it just depends on what you like.Borderlands is fun, but it is MUCH MUCH MUCH more fun in a group setting. The story is just meh, fairly confusing. Though it's really fun running through the missions, building up your guy, and finding different weapons. Much more of a shooter than RDR is.RDR has a fun story, and is more in the open world mode that you find in the sandbox games. Less of a shooter compared to borderlands, more of a variety of missions and things to do.
I LOVED Borderlands vs really enjoyed Red Dead. Trying to compare the two is completely apples and oranges though, they aren't the slightest bit related. I think it's really just a matter of personal taste.And I agree, the best part about Borderlands is playing co-op online with 3 of your friends.
Both good games but after playing Fallout 3 I felt like Borderlands was a poor rip off and couldn't get into it.

Had some weekend guests, and split-screen co-op games are always fun w/ this group. So I picked up Army of Two, the 40th Day. It was an awesome co-op experience. Kept us busy for the weekend. Lots of fun, and exceptional co-op mechanics (especially in map design / stragtegy). If you like playing 2-player co-op (either split screen or online), this is one of the better games out there for such.

Virus got me(yes, I had avira, malwarebytes, etc...) and had to reformat.

Installed Win XP Pro and am having problems getting online for now. Diablo II and Chessmaster need an internet connection in order to play for some stupid reason, so I'm down to playing Duke Nukem 3D.

Thats right. I'm playing DN3D. Brings back some memories. Though, can't figure out the sound...

Hastur said:
Virus got me(yes, I had avira, malwarebytes, etc...) and had to reformat. Installed Win XP Pro and am having problems getting online for now. Diablo II and Chessmaster need an internet connection in order to play for some stupid reason, so I'm down to playing Duke Nukem 3D.Thats right. I'm playing DN3D. Brings back some memories. Though, can't figure out the sound...
I just nuked my computer also and the only game I have installed is Diablo 2. It will probably be the only one until Diablo III and the new Civ game. Weird how I used to be strictly PC gaming a while back and now I'm almost strictly console.On another note, Crackdown 2 is coming out tomorrow. Anyone getting it? I'll probably have it within 2-4 weeks after launch if any 360 guys want to do the entire thing co-op.

Just finished both Bioshock 2 and Red Dead Redemption this week.

I think video game developers could learn a lot from the way Bioshock 2 infuses story into a game without sacrificing gameplay. I liked Red Dead but watching cutscene after cutscene turned the game into a boring chore quickly. I realize I can skip cutscenes but I don't want to miss the story behind the game.

Bioshock does this perfectly with playable "journals" that can be accessed while playing the game. You can even be attacked by foes while learning the story. This is much preferred over watching a 10 minute cutscene where no interaction is required.

Stop the long, boring cutscenes! It's a game. If I wanted to sit back and watch a bunch of crap I'd rent a movie.

Just finished both Bioshock 2 and Red Dead Redemption this week.I think video game developers could learn a lot from the way Bioshock 2 infuses story into a game without sacrificing gameplay. I liked Red Dead but watching cutscene after cutscene turned the game into a boring chore quickly. I realize I can skip cutscenes but I don't want to miss the story behind the game.Bioshock does this perfectly with playable "journals" that can be accessed while playing the game. You can even be attacked by foes while learning the story. This is much preferred over watching a 10 minute cutscene where no interaction is required.Stop the long, boring cutscenes! It's a game. If I wanted to sit back and watch a bunch of crap I'd rent a movie.
:kicksrock: Metal Gear 4 was probably the worst game ever for this (that I have played), but RDR wasn't far behind.

Just finished both Bioshock 2 and Red Dead Redemption this week.I think video game developers could learn a lot from the way Bioshock 2 infuses story into a game without sacrificing gameplay. I liked Red Dead but watching cutscene after cutscene turned the game into a boring chore quickly. I realize I can skip cutscenes but I don't want to miss the story behind the game.Bioshock does this perfectly with playable "journals" that can be accessed while playing the game. You can even be attacked by foes while learning the story. This is much preferred over watching a 10 minute cutscene where no interaction is required.Stop the long, boring cutscenes! It's a game. If I wanted to sit back and watch a bunch of crap I'd rent a movie.
:confused: 100% agree. The only 2 game series that I've seen handle story and gameplay well is Bioshock and Half-Life. Cut scenes take me out of a game. And for games like the Metal Gear Solid series where there is more cutscene time than actual gameplay, I get annoyed. I want to PLAY the game, not watch it.

Same here, but I think part of it is just that the Bioshock story is far more engrossing. When I was about halfway through Mexico in RDR, I stopped watching the cutscenes - Bill Williamson is doing xx, Javier Escuela is doing xx! We have to stop them or you won't get your wife/kid back! (cue angry John Marston).Bioshock's story is just plain more interesting. The Bioshock series (I haven't finished 2 yet, it is on the backburner) might have the best story of any game I've ever played, IMO.

So Barley, how has Lego Harry Potter been? :lmao:

In other news, I was given the new Transformers game, and will be playing it after FF13, which I am about 70% through. The Transformers game got decent reviews from mags/websites but has been getting great reviews from fans. Looks like it has a six mission Autobot and six mission Decepticon campaign with 3 player co-op. Also a horde mode but with some zombies style in it, ie buying weapons and doors to open with 4 player co-op. And it also features a 10 player multiplayer. I will give a review once I get into it.

Thoroughly enjoying Torchlight right now. Truly a fun, fun dungeon crawl!

And I had no idea it has a pretty big modding community too!

madshot31 said:
So Barley, how has Lego Harry Potter been? :shrug: In other news, I was given the new Transformers game, and will be playing it after FF13, which I am about 70% through. The Transformers game got decent reviews from mags/websites but has been getting great reviews from fans. Looks like it has a six mission Autobot and six mission Decepticon campaign with 3 player co-op. Also a horde mode but with some zombies style in it, ie buying weapons and doors to open with 4 player co-op. And it also features a 10 player multiplayer. I will give a review once I get into it.
Played the demo and it was OK. The videos on live look great.When they make the 80's version/vehicles, I'm all over it.

madshot31 said:
So Barley, how has Lego Harry Potter been? :thumbup: In other news, I was given the new Transformers game, and will be playing it after FF13, which I am about 70% through. The Transformers game got decent reviews from mags/websites but has been getting great reviews from fans. Looks like it has a six mission Autobot and six mission Decepticon campaign with 3 player co-op. Also a horde mode but with some zombies style in it, ie buying weapons and doors to open with 4 player co-op. And it also features a 10 player multiplayer. I will give a review once I get into it.
Played the demo and it was OK. The videos on live look great.When they make the 80's version/vehicles, I'm all over it.
Did you finally get the HL2 download to work.

madshot31 said:
So Barley, how has Lego Harry Potter been? :lol: In other news, I was given the new Transformers game, and will be playing it after FF13, which I am about 70% through. The Transformers game got decent reviews from mags/websites but has been getting great reviews from fans. Looks like it has a six mission Autobot and six mission Decepticon campaign with 3 player co-op. Also a horde mode but with some zombies style in it, ie buying weapons and doors to open with 4 player co-op. And it also features a 10 player multiplayer. I will give a review once I get into it.
Did you finally get the HL2 download to work.
Downloading it now. Will get to play it later this evening after work. Thanks again :thumbup:

:lmao: Cutscenes themselves don't bother me that much, but once you get used to games like Bioshock, Dead Space, and Demon's Souls, the more you wish that developers would drop the lazy reliance on expository cutscenes. RDR didn't bother me that much. Yeah, most of the cutscenes -- especially the ones in Mexico -- were the same thing over and over, but most developers would have had an extended cutscene at the end as well, and Rockstar took a much better approach by having you play out those events instead. That should count for something.

Just beat Final Fantasy 13 and it was ####### fantastic! The story, graphic, music, and gameplay were all awesome. The linear style for the first 1/2 of the game and the gameplay were what critics didn't like about the game. But, I felt the linear approach really made it so the story got flowing from the start and continued at a quick pace until its opened up while still allowing you to take the structured path if you want. Also, the fast paced real time battles coupled with the stats, skills, and class systems made the game really fun to play while adding customization that's addicting.

I know there are a few JRPG players here at Footballguys, and I would say this game is worth a play through. Its definitely in my top tier of RPGs. For reference, here is my rough order of favorite RPGs out of the 30+ or so that I have played. If you like some or most of these, its definitely worth your time to play FF13. The top five games could be rotated depending on how I feel that day and I consider games with stories that continue from one to the next the same unless they totally suck.

1. Final Fantasy 9 - PS1

2. Lost Odyssey - 360

3. Shadow Hearts 1&2 - PS2

4. Final Fantasy 13 - 360/PS3

5. Legend of the Dragoon - PS1

6. Mass Effect 1&2 - 360

7. Final Fantasy 7 - PS1

8. Fallout 3 - 360/PS3

9. Chrono Trigger - SNES

10. Final Fantasy 6 - SNES

11. Planescape: Torment - PC

12. Xenogears - PS1

Wow, looking back at the console generations. SNES, PS1, and now 360 have some excellent RPGs and many more that I didn't mention. At the time I thought PS2 had some good ones but nothing really stuck inside my head. The only other one besides Shadow Hearts 1&2, which almost nobody has played, is Final Fantasy X, which I was disappointed with compared to most people who loved it. I still have Dragon Age: Orgins to play, so hopefully that will make it onto the must plays.

:confused: :bag: :(

Now back to your regularly scheduled shooter games. :lmao:

I wish there were more PS3 JRPGs available in the states.

There were tone for the PS2. Persona 3 and 4 were among my favorites. These types of games don't really benefit from the processing power of the current generation of consoles so that might be why we aren't seeing as many of these type of games released.

I wish there were more PS3 JRPGs available in the states. There were tone for the PS2. Persona 3 and 4 were among my favorites. These types of games don't really benefit from the processing power of the current generation of consoles so that might be why we aren't seeing as many of these type of games released.
I'm not sure why many developers have gone away from the PS3 towards the 360. Maybe M$ decided to shovel the cash out to try and gain new audiences. I know many of the JRPGs on the 360 are made by people who worked for square or other companies during the PS1 golden age. Off of memory the 360 has FF13, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, Infinite Undiscovery, Magnacarta 2, The Last Remnant, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Most of these are exclusive with FF!3 having a dual release and SO:TLH and ES being released on PS3 a year later. :goodposting:

Off the top of my head, this is my list of favorite RPG's in no particular order.......

Ultima VII: The Black Gate & Serpent Isle expansion (PC)

Phantasy Star (Sega Master system)

Phantasy Star II (GEN)

Phantasy Star IV (GEN)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. (PS1)

Dragon Warrior (NES)

Final Fantasy (NES)

Earthbound (SNES)

Golvellius: Valley of Doom (Sega Master system)

Crystalis (NES)

Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun (GEN)

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind & Oblivion. (XBOX&360) _ I agree with Madshot on these though. Something about them just doesn't capture me. The lore, the art style, the story, the 912,231,123 square miles of virtually empty outdoors. With that being said, I cannot deny that they were impressive games.

Games which may or may not fall into the traditional RPG genre, but include RPG elements are...

Ultima Online - My life's biggest time sink ever.

The Legend of Zelda (NES)

The Legend of Zelda II: The adventures of Link (NES)

Metroid (NES)

Kid Icarus (NES)

Off the top of my head, this is my list of favorite RPG's in no particular order.......

Phantasy Star II (GEN)

Phantasy Star IV (GEN)

Dragon Warrior (NES)

Final Fantasy (NES)

Earthbound (SNES)

Crystalis (NES)

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind & Oblivion. (XBOX&360) _ I agree with Madshot on these though. Something about them just doesn't capture me. The lore, the art style, the story, the 912,231,123 square miles of virtually empty outdoors. With that being said, I cannot deny that they were impressive games.

Games which may or may not fall into the traditional RPG genre, but include RPG elements are...

Metroid (NES)

Kid Icarus (NES)
Love Symphony of Night. That is a blast to play. So much looting it is silly.

I will throw a couple out there that I just replayed again:

Baldurs Gate - XBOX

Baldurs Gate II Dark Alliance - XBOX

Lot's of hack n slash fun and rpg leveling up. Dark Alliance II also let you make your own weapons, armor and jewlery.

Fun stuff.

Phantasy Star II (GEN)

Phantasy Star IV (GEN)

Dragon Warrior (NES)

Final Fantasy (NES)

Earthbound (SNES)

Crystalis (NES)

Metroid (NES)

Kid Icarus (NES)

I will throw a couple out there that I just replayed again:

Baldurs Gate - XBOX

Baldurs Gate II Dark Alliance - XBOX

Lot's of hack n slash fun and rpg leveling up. Dark Alliance II also let you make your own weapons, armor and jewlery.

Fun stuff.
Another game that is really similar to Baldurs Gate II: Dark Alliance is Champions of Norrath. Its in the same hack and slash mold and was released around the same time frame also.

Phantasy Star II (GEN)

Phantasy Star IV (GEN)

Dragon Warrior (NES)

Final Fantasy (NES)

Earthbound (SNES)

Crystalis (NES)

Metroid (NES)

Kid Icarus (NES)
Not sure you know, but I'll throw it out there.The new Castlevania: Harmony of Despair will be released on XBox Live Arcade August 4th for 1200 MSP. The game is in the style of Symphony of the Night and also features co-operative play for up to 6 players. If you haven't seen the trailers or gameplay footage for it, check it out over at Gametrailers.

Off the top of my head, this is my list of favorite RPG's in no particular order.......Ultima VII: The Black Gate & Serpent Isle expansion (PC)Phantasy Star (Sega Master system)Phantasy Star II (GEN)Phantasy Star IV (GEN)Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. (PS1)Dragon Warrior (NES)Final Fantasy (NES)Earthbound (SNES)Golvellius: Valley of Doom (Sega Master system)Crystalis (NES)Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun (GEN) Elder Scrolls: Morrowind & Oblivion. (XBOX&360) _ I agree with Madshot on these though. Something about them just doesn't capture me. The lore, the art style, the story, the 912,231,123 square miles of virtually empty outdoors. With that being said, I cannot deny that they were impressive games.Games which may or may not fall into the traditional RPG genre, but include RPG elements are...Ultima Online - My life's biggest time sink ever.The Legend of Zelda (NES)The Legend of Zelda II: The adventures of Link (NES)Metroid (NES)Kid Icarus (NES)
Crystalisthe rest

You guys know of a good way to sell outdated games? I have a bunch of old EA Sports titles from the last 5 years or so that I don't play anymore. I put them up on Craigslist at $1-2 per game, and got a whopping 0 hits.

I really don't want to bother with Ebay.

You guys know of a good way to sell outdated games? I have a bunch of old EA Sports titles from the last 5 years or so that I don't play anymore. I put them up on Craigslist at $1-2 per game, and got a whopping 0 hits.I really don't want to bother with Ebay.
I usually give them away if they're more than a couple of years old. Gamestop or other traders usually won't give more than $.50 or so for them. I don't think it would be worth it to try to sell it on eBay.

SlaX said:
Steve Tasker said:
You guys know of a good way to sell outdated games? I have a bunch of old EA Sports titles from the last 5 years or so that I don't play anymore. I put them up on Craigslist at $1-2 per game, and got a whopping 0 hits.I really don't want to bother with Ebay.
I usually give them away if they're more than a couple of years old. Gamestop or other traders usually won't give more than $.50 or so for them. I don't think it would be worth it to try to sell it on eBay.
:deadhorse: No games lose their value anywhere near as sports games. They're coasters if more than 2 years old (ie. Tiger Woods 10 could get you something now that 11 is out, but 09 is pretty much a coaster).

Steve Tasker said:
I'll take anything you got for PS3... :goodposting:

Steve Tasker said:
I use half.com (run by ebay) all the time. It lets you set your sales price right off the bat... you don't have to mess with the auction stuff. I'd go on there and see if anyone is getting any value for your games.

Steve Tasker said:
Off the top of my head, this is my list of favorite RPG's in no particular order.......Ultima VII: The Black Gate & Serpent Isle expansion (PC)Phantasy Star (Sega Master system)Phantasy Star II (GEN)Phantasy Star IV (GEN)Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. (PS1)Dragon Warrior (NES)Final Fantasy (NES)Earthbound (SNES)Golvellius: Valley of Doom (Sega Master system)Crystalis (NES)Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun (GEN) Elder Scrolls: Morrowind & Oblivion. (XBOX&360) _ I agree with Madshot on these though. Something about them just doesn't capture me. The lore, the art style, the story, the 912,231,123 square miles of virtually empty outdoors. With that being said, I cannot deny that they were impressive games.Games which may or may not fall into the traditional RPG genre, but include RPG elements are...Ultima Online - My life's biggest time sink ever.The Legend of Zelda (NES)The Legend of Zelda II: The adventures of Link (NES)Metroid (NES)Kid Icarus (NES)
Crystalisthe rest
That was actually on my list, but I didn't finish it. Once games go from normal to weirdo space themes, I tend to lose interest. I almost flamed out of earthbound but managed to beat it.I would also like to add one of the single toughest games I ever beat, Deadly Towers for the NES. Almost Ninja Gaiden hard. Almost.

SlaX said:
Steve Tasker said:
:thumbup: No games lose their value anywhere near as sports games. They're coasters if more than 2 years old (ie. Tiger Woods 10 could get you something now that 11 is out, but 09 is pretty much a coaster).
Pretty much.

I would also like to add one of the single toughest games I ever beat, Deadly Towers for the NES. Almost Ninja Gaiden hard. Almost.
I never beat very many games on NES or Genesis. Some, but not very many.If you still had to restart your game from the beginning every 3 times you died, I don't think I'd be playing video games anymore at my age.

My 360 sports games are woefully out of date. I would be willing to see if anyone wants to part with any older ones.

So I finished up RDR and decided to dust off some of my old games for a re-play. I haven't played Demon's Souls in a while, and I lost both my characters a while back when my PS3 got the YLOD. I've thought about rebuilding a character for online play, but since it's going to be about a 60 hour investment, I've put it off and put it off, but this seemed like a good time to start.

It took about 45 minutes or so to get back into the groove of the combat system, but now I'm already about 10 hours in to my new guy. Despite having beaten the game four or five times already with a couple of different character builds, this thing still doesn't feel old or stale.

Edit: This is particulary a nice game to come back to after RDR. That game was very well done, but it was also extremely easy. DS is a good change of pace. It's perversely fun to get your ### handed to you by a couple of trolls after you've spent the past month relying on auto-aim to take down the entire Mexican army from behind a small rock.

So I finished up RDR and decided to dust off some of my old games for a re-play. I haven't played Demon's Souls in a while, and I lost both my characters a while back when my PS3 got the YLOD. I've thought about rebuilding a character for online play, but since it's going to be about a 60 hour investment, I've put it off and put it off, but this seemed like a good time to start.It took about 45 minutes or so to get back into the groove of the combat system, but now I'm already about 10 hours in to my new guy. Despite having beaten the game four or five times already with a couple of different character builds, this thing still doesn't feel old or stale.Edit: This is particulary a nice game to come back to after RDR. That game was very well done, but it was also extremely easy. DS is a good change of pace. It's perversely fun to get your ### handed to you by a couple of trolls after you've spent the past month relying on auto-aim to take down the entire Mexican army from behind a small rock.
You need to get back into the YYZ clan and run some Hardcore Conquest. This mode is a blast IMO on Battlefield 2.I have not seen you play that game in a long time. I took an extended break but am now hooked again.As far as playing other games I am still working on Metal Gear 4 and should be done in the next 2-3 weeks. Then I am on to Deadspace and NCAA 2011 should be in my mailbox this week and I canlt wait to get my dynasty going with that.

I finished Alan Wake last night and I really, really liked it.

I'd say the only real negative is that I don't think this particular genre of game (Thriller? Mystery? Horror? it's kind of all 3) is really appealing to a broad number of gamers. They break the game up into 6 episodes and it's really like watching/playing a Steven King TV Mini-series. When you finish an episode and start a new one, there's even a montage of "Previously on Alan Wake" type scenes like you really are watching a new episode of a series. It's quite creepy in parts and the atmosphere of the game is very immersive. If you play it, play it at night with no lights on.

You can tell the developer put a lot of love and polish into the game, the plot, the voice acting, the MUSIC, the graphics, even the little things like the easter eggs are all very well done. This definitely feels like a game that has roots in the Max Payne series too with the easter eggs like the TV's and radio's you can turn on or the manuscript pages that give deeper insight into what's going on. It's a beautiful game too, the forests, the wind and mist, mountains and trees, even little things like how your flashlight shines when you run or climb a ladder look great. One of my favorite things is that even though the "levels" are very linear, since you are trekking thru mountains and forests with different elevations, you often can see areas you are coming to or have left in the distance. For instance, you'll see a farm house way off in the distance in a valley and eventually make it there and the whole area is laid out exactly how you saw it from above. Even though the levels are linear, this effect makes it feel like you are always working towards something or moving forward.

With that said, the game is too easy, I did like IGN suggested and started the game on hard instead of normal and it still wasn't much of challange except for a few areas here and there. While there are a lot of enemies to fight, this is not a shoot-'em up. It's plot driven with good use of voice overs and cut scenes at the most important moments, not annoying like it could be in RDR. There are short parts where there's very little action at all to advance the plot so I can see the Halo crowd getting bored at these points.

I'd say it's definitely worth playing if you are into these kinds of games. Maybe not worth full price as even though they built some replayablity in with all the easter eggs (you can't even find some of the manuscript pages with out unlocking the hardest difficulty and playing again) but a lot of the appeal is the mystery of the plot. Hopefully the sales do well, I liked the ending but it's pretty ambigious and definitely leaves a lot of room for a sequel.

I finished Alan Wake last night and I really, really liked it.I'd say the only real negative is that I don't think this particular genre of game (Thriller? Mystery? Horror? it's kind of all 3) is really appealing to a broad number of gamers. They break the game up into 6 episodes and it's really like watching/playing a Steven King TV Mini-series. When you finish an episode and start a new one, there's even a montage of "Previously on Alan Wake" type scenes like you really are watching a new episode of a series. It's quite creepy in parts and the atmosphere of the game is very immersive. If you play it, play it at night with no lights on.You can tell the developer put a lot of love and polish into the game, the plot, the voice acting, the MUSIC, the graphics, even the little things like the easter eggs are all very well done. This definitely feels like a game that has roots in the Max Payne series too with the easter eggs like the TV's and radio's you can turn on or the manuscript pages that give deeper insight into what's going on. It's a beautiful game too, the forests, the wind and mist, mountains and trees, even little things like how your flashlight shines when you run or climb a ladder look great. One of my favorite things is that even though the "levels" are very linear, since you are trekking thru mountains and forests with different elevations, you often can see areas you are coming to or have left in the distance. For instance, you'll see a farm house way off in the distance in a valley and eventually make it there and the whole area is laid out exactly how you saw it from above. Even though the levels are linear, this effect makes it feel like you are always working towards something or moving forward.With that said, the game is too easy, I did like IGN suggested and started the game on hard instead of normal and it still wasn't much of challange except for a few areas here and there. While there are a lot of enemies to fight, this is not a shoot-'em up. It's plot driven with good use of voice overs and cut scenes at the most important moments, not annoying like it could be in RDR. There are short parts where there's very little action at all to advance the plot so I can see the Halo crowd getting bored at these points.I'd say it's definitely worth playing if you are into these kinds of games. Maybe not worth full price as even though they built some replayablity in with all the easter eggs (you can't even find some of the manuscript pages with out unlocking the hardest difficulty and playing again) but a lot of the appeal is the mystery of the plot. Hopefully the sales do well, I liked the ending but it's pretty ambigious and definitely leaves a lot of room for a sequel.
I've seen many retailers already discounting the game. Releasing the same day as RDR and a few other games wasn't a good idea. Maybe they thought Alan Wake had a bigger following than it did. It's definitely a good game, but I agree that it's not worth full price.As far as the ending goes, it hasn't really set up for a sequel. They plan on releasing episodic DLC to continue the story along. We'll see how that works out.

I finished Alan Wake last night and I really, really liked it.I'd say the only real negative is that I don't think this particular genre of game (Thriller? Mystery? Horror? it's kind of all 3) is really appealing to a broad number of gamers. They break the game up into 6 episodes and it's really like watching/playing a Steven King TV Mini-series. When you finish an episode and start a new one, there's even a montage of "Previously on Alan Wake" type scenes like you really are watching a new episode of a series. It's quite creepy in parts and the atmosphere of the game is very immersive. If you play it, play it at night with no lights on.You can tell the developer put a lot of love and polish into the game, the plot, the voice acting, the MUSIC, the graphics, even the little things like the easter eggs are all very well done. This definitely feels like a game that has roots in the Max Payne series too with the easter eggs like the TV's and radio's you can turn on or the manuscript pages that give deeper insight into what's going on. It's a beautiful game too, the forests, the wind and mist, mountains and trees, even little things like how your flashlight shines when you run or climb a ladder look great. One of my favorite things is that even though the "levels" are very linear, since you are trekking thru mountains and forests with different elevations, you often can see areas you are coming to or have left in the distance. For instance, you'll see a farm house way off in the distance in a valley and eventually make it there and the whole area is laid out exactly how you saw it from above. Even though the levels are linear, this effect makes it feel like you are always working towards something or moving forward.With that said, the game is too easy, I did like IGN suggested and started the game on hard instead of normal and it still wasn't much of challange except for a few areas here and there. While there are a lot of enemies to fight, this is not a shoot-'em up. It's plot driven with good use of voice overs and cut scenes at the most important moments, not annoying like it could be in RDR. There are short parts where there's very little action at all to advance the plot so I can see the Halo crowd getting bored at these points.I'd say it's definitely worth playing if you are into these kinds of games. Maybe not worth full price as even though they built some replayablity in with all the easter eggs (you can't even find some of the manuscript pages with out unlocking the hardest difficulty and playing again) but a lot of the appeal is the mystery of the plot. Hopefully the sales do well, I liked the ending but it's pretty ambigious and definitely leaves a lot of room for a sequel.
Still on a long wait for the 360 version on Goozex. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread