What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MIKE X. WILLIAMS (1 Viewer)

I've watched every preseason target he has had.....he reminds me of Plaxico. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up with 8 TDs this year. Maybe only 40/50 catches. He will be a factor but no way he ascends to WR1 in that offense.

The cool thing is if you draft him and he does well you feel smart. Face it, that's the reason why people take BMW or a guy like Kareem Hudgins.

I've watched every preseason target he has had.....he reminds me of Plaxico. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up with 8 TDs this year. Maybe only 40/50 catches. He will be a factor but no way he ascends to WR1 in that offense.The cool thing is if you draft him and he does well you feel smart. Face it, that's the reason why people take BMW or a guy like Kareem Hudgins.
I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I take flyers in the last rounds is because the "sure things" that are available then are sure things to produce diddly squat. Lots of guys you can bank with 700/5 type ceilings.Those guys have no practical value, since even though they offer pretty much guaranteed production, it's at a level you could never plug into your lineup if you want to maintain hope of winning. Makes much more sense to take a guy with a 90% (or greater) chance of producing absolutely nothing, but a 10% (or less) chance of posting starter's numbers. If he doesn't work out, you cut bait and take another crack at it.

I've watched every preseason target he has had.....he reminds me of Plaxico. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up with 8 TDs this year. Maybe only 40/50 catches. He will be a factor but no way he ascends to WR1 in that offense.The cool thing is if you draft him and he does well you feel smart. Face it, that's the reason why people take BMW or a guy like Kareem Hudgins.
What is your rationale behind so few receptions? And why is there no chance he could ascend to being the primary option in that offense?

TheDirtyWord said:
flranger said:
What is your rationale behind so few receptions? And why is there no chance he could ascend to being the primary option in that offense?
Meaning FFL WR1, not SEA WR1. Mostly just the reality that he has so far to come back from. Even Desean Jackson last year only had 63 catches and Vincent Jackson had 68. No way I can predict his catches to be near that high. I lean to 50 and would love to project more but it's a stretch. I think he is going to have a high yards per catch however, around 14-15 yards. Another problem is I don't trust Hasselback to make it through the season and am not convinced that Clipboard Jesus can get him or the other WRs the ball. If they keep Branch he will still have Branch, Housh, and Golden Tate along with Deon Butler there. Only so many catches to go around. Even Plax during the SuperBowl year only had 70 catches and only 63 the year before.Hakeem Nicks last year is a nice comparison: 47 790 16.81 6I'm calling it 48 catches, 760 yards and 8 TDs and I think it's wishful thinking. Non PPR good enough for about WR 25 last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think too many people are going to start BMW in week one. I am personally holding BMW and only playing him if his PPG fantasy status continues to rise. Fingers crossed for a great bye week filler or playoff fill from injuries.

TheDirtyWord said:
flranger said:
I've watched every preseason target he has had.....he reminds me of Plaxico. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up with 8 TDs this year. Maybe only 40/50 catches. He will be a factor but no way he ascends to WR1 in that offense.

The cool thing is if you draft him and he does well you feel smart. Face it, that's the reason why people take BMW or a guy like Kareem Hudgins.
Meaning FFL WR1, not SEA WR1. Mostly just the reality that he has so far to come back from. Even Desean Jackson last year only had 63 catches and Vincent Jackson had 68. No way I can predict his catches to be near that high. I lean to 50 and would love to project more but it's a stretch. I think he is going to have a high yards per catch however, around 14-15 yards. Another problem is I don't trust Hasselback to make it through the season and am not convinced that Clipboard Jesus can get him or the other WRs the ball. If they keep Branch he will still have Branch, Housh, and Golden Tate along with Deon Butler there. Only so many catches to go around. Even Plax during the SuperBowl year only had 70 catches and only 63 the year before.

Hakeem Nicks last year is a nice comparison: 47 790 16.81 6

I'm calling it 48 catches, 760 yards and 8 TDs and I think it's wishful thinking. Non PPR good enough for about WR 25 last year.
When I look at the Seahawks Targets from last year, what you'd consider wishful thinking for Williams (48 catches) is what I'd consider his absolute FLOOR. I'll be stunned if Williams plays a healthy 16 games and doesn't top 50 receptions.

I've got the preseason man-love for Williams that I'm sure is going to burn me. That being said, I have an opportunity to move up in a waiver pickup period to get him, in terms of cost what sort of dynasty rookie pick do you think he is worth...a 3rd?

I've got the preseason man-love for Williams that I'm sure is going to burn me. That being said, I have an opportunity to move up in a waiver pickup period to get him, in terms of cost what sort of dynasty rookie pick do you think he is worth...a 3rd?
3 if idp or 2 if not. He is a sell if you don't have faith. If you find a true believer you could get even more.

Has his ADP been moving up at all lately? Early August I was able to grab him in the last round of my draft (12 team, 20th round, 3rd to last pick) and he's a guy I'd like for most of my teams.

Can't believe this guy isn't getting more love. Rookie WRs are getting more hype, and this seems like an awesome value pick to me right now.

Has his ADP been moving up at all lately? Early August I was able to grab him in the last round of my draft (12 team, 20th round, 3rd to last pick) and he's a guy I'd like for most of my teams.
That's the beauty: to my knowledge, he has no ADP. He's basically on everyone's waiver wire, yet is being completely ignored.Otis makes a great point re: rookies getting more hype. It's just human nature.Put it this way: if Golden Tate were having the preseason Mike Williams is, he'd be a 8/9th round pick. Yet MW is undrafted.I encourage anyone who isn't on board the Mike Williams Express to go to NFL.com and check out Seattle preseason highlights. Your next stop will be your waiver wire.

I agree with Otis, guy is getting no love.

What is he worth to some people? Someone offered him to me for Huggins, and I have Caddy. I think they both have that sleeper factor.

In a 16 team keeper league last night, I took a flier on him at 16.16 - the 256th player off the board. That's Jason Avant/Brian Robiskie territory - he's is still WAAAYYY under the radar

That's the beauty: to my knowledge, he has no ADP. He's basically on everyone's waiver wire, yet is being completely ignored.Otis makes a great point re: rookies getting more hype. It's just human nature.Put it this way: if Golden Tate were having the preseason Mike Williams is, he'd be a 8/9th round pick. Yet MW is undrafted.I encourage anyone who isn't on board the Mike Williams Express to go to NFL.com and check out Seattle preseason highlights. Your next stop will be your waiver wire.
:thumbup: :moneybag: :moneybag:

How would you compare him to someone like Naanee as far as value this year?
He's lower than Nannee for me. Because of his situation mainly. I don't presume to know who is the better player so I go to situation then. Nannee's would appear to be better simply because of Rivers vs. Hass.

He's the perfect late round pick IMO. He will not be a WR1 in FF but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is a capable WR3/flex starter...and that's great value in the last round of your draft. If he can stay motivated and focused on playing football I don't see how he will not be out on the field and he should be the main red-zone target. They have no RBs that can pound it in and with the inexperience/injury issues with their tackles Carlson is going to have to stay in to protect more....just like he did last year. It's no coincidence that Carlson's best year was the last season Walter Jones was healthy. Last year Carlson's numbers dropped significantly as he was asked to stay back and protect more. So if the TEs are protecting and the RBs can't pound the ball, MW with his size and hands probably becomes your best option.

I think the Seahawks also only signed him to a one-year deal which is additional encouragement for him to perform this year....if he doesn't he's done. If he can perform this year, some team will probably give him a longer contract (which again may put a damper on his motivation...but that's next year).

If he falls off and ends up doing nothing you just drop him and pick up whoever is the hot commodity on the waiver wire....nothing lost.

Nice article /fluff piece on MW and how he gets it not only on but also OFF the field this time around. Hope Matt Leinart is taking notes ....

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/arti...cf-357b93c308cc

Making up for lost time

By Clare Farnsworth

Posted Sep 1, 2010

AA

Mike Williams has returned to the NFL with the Seahawks after being out of the league for two years, and he’s playing – and acting – like he plans on sticking around longer this time.

While most players pat the “I’m In” sign above the door as they head to the practice field, Mike Williams gathers himself in the hallway before laying an empathic slap on the mantra-message and bursting onto the field like a bull entering the ring.

Once on the field, Williams emits a roar of joy as he sprints to join his position group. During practice, he celebrates making a catch by pumping his fist and definitely isn’t shy about shoveling back some of the chirping the defensive backs dish out.

Football is fun again for Williams, and it’s obvious.

“I’m having fun because it’s football,” he said after a practice this week, as the Seahawks were preparing for Thursday night’s preseason finale against the Raiders in Oakland.

“I enjoy being around the guys I’m with. This game is business, but you can have a little fun with it.”

That hasn’t always been the case for the talented wide receiver who was not only a first-round draft choice in 2005, but a Top 10 pick by the Detroit Lions. He caught 29 passes that season, then couldn’t catch a break.

Williams had eight receptions in 2006 for the Lions, seven while playing for the Raiders and Tennessee Titans in 2007 and then was out of the league for the past two seasons before Pete Carroll – his former college coach at USC – gave him a chance this spring to restart his once-promising career.

Williams takes the Vegas approach when asked about his past – the trade to the Raiders in 2007; his weight getting as high as 270 pounds while with the Titans; the two-year gap in his career. You know, what happened in the past, stays in the past.

“To see Mike come out and be effective,” Carroll said, “that’s a really good sign for him. Physically, it’s the best I’ve seen him since maybe his sophomore year of college. He’s very serious about it, so maybe he has a chance to give us some help.”

So far, better than good. Entering the preseason finale, Williams has eight receptions to share the team lead with veteran T.J. Houshmandzadeh and promising second-year receiver Deon Butler.

Williams has been working in the No. 1 three-receiver package with Houshmandzadeh and Deion Branch, and he brings elements to the passing game that have been missing in recent seasons – primarily his 6-foot-5, 233-pound body. The last time the Seahawks had a receiver with his size was in 2005, when Joe Jurevicius (6-5, 230) had a team-leading 10 TD catches during the run to the Super Bowl. But Jurevicius did not have Williams’ speed.

Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley definitely appreciates what Williams brings to the passing game, and the problems he posses for opponents.

“It’s just matchup problems, especially in the red zone because he’s such a big body,” Bradley said. “So he definitely creates some issues. Something as a coordinator that you look at and say, ‘OK, he’s something to deal with, now how do we deal with him?’

“Mike has looked good all through camp and in games it’s showed up. How he goes about practice and his work ethic, it’s showed up on the game field. I’m glad he’s with us and not somebody else.”

Williams made a huge play in the opener, taking a short pass from backup QB Charlie Whitehurst and turning it into a 51-yard touchdown with an impressive run after the catch. He caught four passes the following week against the Green Bay Packers, including a pair of 17-yarders from Matt Hasselbeck to spark the drive to the Seahawks’ first touchdown and set up the second. Last week, against the Vikings in Minnesota, Williams had a 42-yarder among his three receptions to get the offensive rolling toward its second field goal.

As impressive as his on-field efforts have been, it’s the way Williams has reacted to them off the field that has really been revealing. Asked about that TD against the Titans, he praised Whitehurst for checking to the play that produced it. Asked about the run after the catch, he pointed out that it would not have happened without a downfield block from tight end Cameron Morrah.

Then there’s his approach to the roster cut to 53 players on Saturday.

“There’s no guarantee I’ll be here, there’s no guarantee I’ll make this team,” he said. “I’m just trying to continue to work and put my bid in. I look at this opportunity as every time we get ready to play these preseason games it’s an audition.

“It’s a tryout all over again.”

Doing – and saying – the right things. It’s a continuation of what has been apparent since the day Williams arrived in mid-April: He gets it. After being out of the game for two seasons, he realizes this likely is his last chance to resurrect his career.

“I wanted to play,” he said. “So when you get an opportunity and you feel like you’re around people who want to give you an opportunity to play, then everything else takes care of itself.

“I’ve always had to protect myself – like I’m cornered, or my back’s against the wall against the organization or against whoever. I always felt like that. These guys don’t care about anything here but winning and putting the best product on the field. I can relate to that. I can buy into that.”

But he still knows how to enjoy him, as evidenced by some of the sideline exchanges with the defensive backs during practice.

“I pretty had his number in camp, and I told him I’d give him the keys now that the season is about to start so he could start his engine again,” said cornerback Josh Wilson, getting in one last good-natured jab at Williams before he was traded to Baltimore Ravens on Tuesday.

Wilson couldn’t hold back a smile as he added, “No, really, that’s a big specimen out there. I remember when Mike was at Oakland, at first I thought they had put their left tackle out there to play wide receiver.

“But he’s got a lot of ability, being that big and having the ball skills to go up and get it when they throw it up there. He’s just making play after play.”

Enough to make it look like he’ll be around to play for awhile; and make up for lost time.

Per PFT, Housh and his $7MM contract are on the trade block. Some are speculating if they can't find any takers he could be an outright cut. If you weren't paying attention to MW, you might want to start now.

Per PFT, Housh and his $7MM contract are on the trade block. Some are speculating if they can't find any takers he could be an outright cut. If you weren't paying attention to MW, you might want to start now.
there's also speculation that their washing their hands of housh to free up salary space for V-Jackson, keep that in mind as well.

there's also speculation that their washing their hands of housh to free up salary space for V-Jackson, keep that in mind as well.
Hadn't heard that. Makes a ton of sense though. A little *too* much sense. :thumbup:

Well, as planned I got BMW last night in my auction. In a very experienced league, at least 8 of the 12 guys either didn't know who he was, or if they did they didn't know he was on Seattle and playing. Everyone looked at me like I was f'd up or something (which was true, but not the point).

I got an almost identical reaction when I sent out Brandon Tate. Half the league reminded me he's out for the year and Foster is getting all the carries. I said Brandon Tate, not Ben Tate. Had to tell them who he played for and what position.

Anyways, he clearly will be on the radar now but was flying waaaaaay low.

Well, as planned I got BMW last night in my auction. In a very experienced league, at least 8 of the 12 guys either didn't know who he was, or if they did they didn't know he was on Seattle and playing. Everyone looked at me like I was f'd up or something (which was true, but not the point).

I got an almost identical reaction when I sent out Brandon Tate. Half the league reminded me he's out for the year and Foster is getting all the carries. I said Brandon Tate, not Ben Tate. Had to tell them who he played for and what position.

:no: You and I obviously have different meanings for the word "experienced".

:no: If 8 guys don't know who he is, they have no experience. Definately well below my level.

HEY LOOK AT ME. I'M SOOOOO EXPERIENCED.

Dyansty owners, proceed as quickly and quietly to your league's waivers as possible.
When I read this I was like "Really Mike Williams? You have to be kidding me." I generally try to steer clear of programs in flux with a new regime such as Seattle and therefore he was completely off my radar. I watched the pre season game Thursday to see what he was doingand when I saw him I had forgotten how big/tall he is had a "Oh yeah I remember why he went in the first round now." moment and went and picked him up. So thanks for the reminder.

:blackdot: If 8 guys don't know who he is, they have no experience. Definately well below my level.
I gotta go with FCO on this one if your league gives you crap for taking a late round flyer on a former first rounder and then has no idea who Brandon Tate is they suck.

I would bet big money that BMW ends up the WR1 on that team and breaks 1000 yards.

:unsure: You and I obviously have different meanings for the word "experienced".
I don't think it's a stretch to call them not so experienced. Seriously, this is just my wife's 2nd year in FF and even she knows who Big Mike is and who he plays for, and she certainly knows who Brandon Tate is.

A guy in one of my leagues just dropped Devery Henderson for him. I guess we will see if he made the right choice with that one.

Dyansty owners, proceed as quickly and quietly to your league's waivers as possible.
When I read this I was like "Really Mike Williams? You have to be kidding me." I generally try to steer clear of programs in flux with a new regime such as Seattle and therefore he was completely off my radar. I watched the pre season game Thursday to see what he was doingand when I saw him I had forgotten how big/tall he is had a "Oh yeah I remember why he went in the first round now." moment and went and picked him up. So thanks for the reminder.
I watched that pre-season game after seeing this thread and, granted I didn't sit 6 inches from the screen analyzing his every move, but I was waiting for something exciting to happen and it didn't.But maybe that's because this was the last game of the pre-season and they didn't play him much.And I didn't see any of the other Seatle pre-season games so all I know about his chances thisseason is the hype in this thread ;)In my start-3-WR redraft league (non-ppr) I have Britt and Naanee on my bench and I haven'tseen enough from BMW to make me wanted to give up on either of those guys before a singleregular season snap. And besides, it felt so good to say "Legedu Naanee" as my last pick of my draft.Only 14 rounds so WRs like BMW, Gibson, Laurent Robinson and Camarillo are sitting on the waiver wire.I feel like there's no way I guess right on which of all of these guys are going to blow up this year.

:wub: You and I obviously have different meanings for the word "experienced".
Sorry dude...but they're right. If 8 of 12 didn't know these players...it's NOT an experianced league. Don't take it badly...just dominate it and take their money. ;)

Yea, ya'll are right. I'll get pleasure out of reminding them that the Shark Pool said they were nobody's. I've been telling them for almost 10 years.

Anyways, me and our league sucks. I get the schtick. I do get sick of the condescending tone that I read in almost every thread that makes telling others how smart their league is and how dumb everyone else is. It's nothing personal to Gianmarco, just targeted to all those who post similar comments (which in this case includes him), but I know he's been on here for a few years and is a good FBG.

Can't believe this is my 7th year on here. Time flies.

Reminds me of Josh Hamilton-type story. I'd like to see this kid light it up, he has all the tools.
I'm sorry.. but how do u figure? Mike Williams was never the most talented player to come into the draft in years nor did he have the physical tools for his profession that Hamilton did... Mike Williams also didnt waste years because he was doing drugs/booze.... he's always been around trying to make a team. Hamilton wasted years and still came back to be great. Sorry.. but not even close.

this seattle receiver thing is a mess? who will be the most productive this year if housh is gone and they dont pick up v. jackson? anyone?

Reminds me of Josh Hamilton-type story. I'd like to see this kid light it up, he has all the tools.
I'm sorry.. but how do u figure? Mike Williams was never the most talented player to come into the draft in years nor did he have the physical tools for his profession that Hamilton did... Mike Williams also didnt waste years because he was doing drugs/booze.... he's always been around trying to make a team. Hamilton wasted years and still came back to be great. Sorry.. but not even close.
Are you kidding? He was a top 10 draft pick because of his monsterous potential as an NFL WR. 6'5" 230 pound guys with speed, hands, and freakish athleticism are not commonplace. He just let himself go (got up to 270 pounds at one point) and was out of the league because he couldn't keep his mind and body together. There ARE parallels to the Josh Hamilton story - two guys whose potential talent was wasted for years because of personal issues.

Also, I'd like to thank the shark pool for this thread, picked up BMW a few days ago in a start 4 WR league w/ a flex (basically 5 WR) and feeling good about it right now. Thanks guys

Josh Hamilton = Freak coming out of HS; BMW = considered a top physical talent at the time he challenged to be eligible Josh Hamilton = boozed/popped pills, out of baseball until he makes a huge splash in spring training after finally getting clean and head on straight ; BMW = ate his way out of Detroit, all but forgotten, bursts on scene in preseason after reporting to camp trim and ready to go

Also, I'd like to thank the shark pool for this thread, picked up BMW a few days ago in a start 4 WR league w/ a flex (basically 5 WR) and feeling good about it right now. Thanks guys
Anything that causes you to post and bring up that avatar is my pleasure. :unsure:

You're welcome Phlash. He's still a deep sleeper that hasn't done anything yet. But I still believe with his talent and the opportunity being presented to him in Seattle - people that find a way to get him one their roster are in for a big "told ya so".

Users who are viewing this thread