What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MIKE X. WILLIAMS (1 Viewer)

BMW is the better NFL Caliber #1 WR then Housh? Says who Carrol?
Yup. And that's the only opinion that matters, actually.
4. If anyone quotes preseason stats, u make my case.....cuz rememer preseason means absolutly nothing.
I imagine players like Derrick Ward, Matt Leinart, Brandon Jacobs and Laverneus Coles would disagree...

WOW!

I'm shocked that knowledgable NFL and Fantasy fans are all over this dude after one PRESEASON,

Many factors for why the hype should be overlooked.

1. He's just not good...His stats (Rec, Yards, Tds)

2007 - 7 90 0

2006 - 8 99 1

2005 - 29 350 1

2. 3 diff teams in 3 years, none of the teams WR core were stellar by any means, so why didnt he hack it there? Det, Oak, Ten

3. Pete Carroll is his former College HC, he is not building up this guy to reporters just because.

4. If anyone quotes preseason stats, u make my case.....cuz rememer preseason means absolutly nothing.

5. I can't believe we have given this guy a nickname, and his own street name in SoCal....I'm baffled!

I'm staying away, and will await the thread of people who were dissapointed with his production, then I will revert back to this thread.
Have you WATCHED him play this pre-season, not just looked at his production?
See reason 4
You miss the point. I haven't quoted stats. Simply watched him. His ability and physical presence is extremely evident. Granted, I have an amatuer eye for sure, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Housh is being released/traded along with BMW's emergence. Quite frankly, I think this came down to 'whose the better #1 WR?". BMW is.
BMW is the better NFL Caliber #1 WR then Housh? Says who Carrol? 4. If anyone quotes preseason stats, u make my case.....cuz rememer preseason means absolutly nothing.
I know who says who. The $7million that the Seahawks would be giving away if they cannot find a team willing to trade for him. Which none will, because $7 million is a lot of cash. So why would the Seahawks being willing to give $7 to free up a roster spot by cutting Housh? Because they must REALLY think that BMW is better than Housh.

The objectivity in this thread is gone. Its now more about who will be right and who will be wrong. When the hyperbole like this starts flying you can bet the truth his somewhere in the middle.

I know who says who. The $7million that the Seahawks would be giving away if they cannot find a team willing to trade for him. Which none will, because $7 million is a lot of cash. So why would the Seahawks being willing to give $7 to free up a roster spot by cutting Housh? Because they must REALLY think that BMW is better than Housh.
I have to disagree with this logic. The reasons there's talk about shipping Houshmandzadeh out of town isn't about Mike Williams, its about Houshmandzadeh. IMO he's simply not a likable guy, and I don't think he's good for the locker room. This said, I won't be surprised to see him starting week one for the Seahawks.

Any thoughts on his potential dynasty value? I'm trying to judge this and am coming up short.
I scooped him in dynasty. He's only 26 years old. If he taps his enormous potential, he could be a factor for the next 5 years. He has the potential to be every bit as good as Vincent Jackson.

cubbie5150 said:
Interesting to read what players some owners here are gonna drop to pick up BMW. We use blind bidding in my league (using fantasy $), and I was gonna put a small bid on Huggins, but guess I'll have another bid on BMW (dropping Lance Moore who I drafted in the last Rd for s--ts & giggles). I do have to say BMW looks to be in good physical shape (based on the one pre-season game of Seattle's that I did see).
I dropped Mike Williams Southeast for Mike Williams Northwest

I have to disagree with this logic. The reasons there's talk about shipping Houshmandzadeh out of town isn't about Mike Williams, its about Houshmandzadeh. IMO he's simply not a likable guy, and I don't think he's good for the locker room. This said, I won't be surprised to see him starting week one for the Seahawks.
Thanks for being rational Dave.This thread has lost the point. It's not about whether Williams is a bum worth next to nothing or a star in the making. The need for people to turn this into some binary outcome is frustrating and sadly endemic of too many conversations.At Williams ADP he's an end game option. We don't need to count on Williams being a stud to justify an end game pick, we just want to make sure there's a chance he'll produce, and that the risk of his being overhyped is less than that of other late round WR options.I personally think it's irrational to start talking about 70 catches or 8 TDs but you don't need close to that to argue making him your WR5 or WR6.

cubbie5150 said:
Interesting to read what players some owners here are gonna drop to pick up BMW. We use blind bidding in my league (using fantasy $), and I was gonna put a small bid on Huggins, but guess I'll have another bid on BMW (dropping Lance Moore who I drafted in the last Rd for s--ts & giggles). I do have to say BMW looks to be in good physical shape (based on the one pre-season game of Seattle's that I did see).
I dropped Mike Williams Southeast for Mike Williams Northwest
This is don't get, at all. Williams in Tampa has been off the charts all preseason. He came in and was the best WR on the field from day one. He's also a rookie and thus is a more rational profile to project breakout greatness than a journeyman like Seattle Mike. But more to the point, there is zero question that TB Mike is the starter, we don't know that for sure about Mike X. Carroll has gushed about Branch and said Butler has been the most impressive worker in camp.

flranger said:
Yea, ya'll are right. I'll get pleasure out of reminding them that the Shark Pool said they were nobody's. I've been telling them for almost 10 years.Anyways, me and our league sucks. I get the schtick. I do get sick of the condescending tone that I read in almost every thread that makes telling others how smart their league is and how dumb everyone else is. It's nothing personal to Gianmarco, just targeted to all those who post similar comments (which in this case includes him), but I know he's been on here for a few years and is a good FBG.Can't believe this is my 7th year on here. Time flies.
It's all good bro. I think you fogot your audience. I was in a work league for 5 years. Most of the guys in year five had played since year one. In casual conversation away from here, I would have called them "experianced". Thing is though...they all started as newbs together, played very few leagues outside of that league, and none of them followed football 24/7 like us here in the SP (at least, those of us that linger here YEAR ROUND) follow football. They would have never known these players either. So...experiance becomes a relative term. In these circles, your experianced buddies are food. Not sure why you can't see that, or would take insult when it's pointed out, because no insult is personally meant....just dominate the league.

Thanks for being rational Dave.This thread has lost the point. It's not about whether Williams is a bum worth next to nothing or a star in the making. The need for people to turn this into some binary outcome is frustrating and sadly endemic of too many conversations.

At Williams ADP he's an end game option. We don't need to count on Williams being a stud to justify an end game pick, we just want to make sure there's a chance he'll produce, and that the risk of his being overhyped is less than that of other late round WR options.

I personally think it's irrational to start talking about 70 catches or 8 TDs but you don't need close to that to argue making him your WR5 or WR6.
Jason, I don't think it's irrational at all to start talking about those numbers when you begin seeing several objective, measurable facts begin to unfold on the field. What I think is irrational, if you're in the projections game, is to hedge your bets. You admitted as much when you said you bumped him to 50-600-5 based on the hype. Another way of saying "I don't really believe it, but I'd better make sure I'm less wrong just in case". Take a look at the Seahawks target stats from last year. (Yes, I know. Completely different regime, that needs to be taken into account). The absence of Housh now leaves 135 targets on the table and last year's #2 (Burleson) garnered 103 looks. If Mike Williams is the new #2 and Branch...Deion Branch is the thing standing in his way of becoming Hass' new best friend?

I'll give you, 8 TD's is probably out of reach but 70 receptions...given the targets last year and Williams' current situation...that's right in Mr. rational's wheelhouse. PLEASE bump your projections to at LEAST 65-850-5. You won't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for being rational Dave.This thread has lost the point. It's not about whether Williams is a bum worth next to nothing or a star in the making. The need for people to turn this into some binary outcome is frustrating and sadly endemic of too many conversations.At Williams ADP he's an end game option. We don't need to count on Williams being a stud to justify an end game pick, we just want to make sure there's a chance he'll produce, and that the risk of his being overhyped is less than that of other late round WR options.I personally think it's irrational to start talking about 70 catches or 8 TDs but you don't need close to that to argue making him your WR5 or WR6.
What is irrational? The posts have gone in the direction of exploring bmw's value and legitimacy as a wr2 for the seahawks and leapfrogging housh to get there. Just last year they thought housh's value as a starting caliber wr was worth I think $40 million with at least $7 million guaranteed. Now that valuation has been recalculated based on a # of different factors. They obviously have him not appraised at what they did last year. They still require production form their wr corps. Tate does not look ready to make a leap to fill the void. Branch is what he is and nothing more. So BMW is the replacement at aleast in their mind for what they had hoped housh would give them. Perhaps the housh's void will be made up by committee (for now) but they have to love his upside else why would they dump $7 million on a guy they just got last year? Bmw and tate and carlson will be future. Bmw's college pedigree, natural talent, and his reunion with carol, which coincided with realization that Chad Ochocinco played a HUGE part in Housh's production leading to his free agent deal all adds up to what and why the hawks think housh and the $7 mil they paid are not worth what they got with the long awaited emergence of bmw.

What is irrational? The posts have gone in the direction of exploring bmw's value and legitimacy as a wr2 for the seahawks and leapfrogging housh to get there. Just last year they thought housh's value as a starting caliber wr was worth I think $40 million with at least $7 million guaranteed. Now that valuation has been recalculated based on a # of different factors. They obviously have him not appraised at what they did last year. They still require production form their wr corps. Tate does not look ready to make a leap to fill the void. Branch is what he is and nothing more. So BMW is the replacement at aleast in their mind for what they had hoped housh would give them. Perhaps the housh's void will be made up by committee (for now) but they have to love his upside else why would they dump $7 million on a guy they just got last year? Bmw and tate and carlson will be future. Bmw's college pedigree, natural talent, and his reunion with carol, which coincided with realization that Chad Ochocinco played a HUGE part in Housh's production leading to his free agent deal all adds up to what and why the hawks think housh and the $7 mil they paid are not worth what they got with the long awaited emergence of bmw.
:confused: Lucid.

Most late round sleepers never A) get an opportunity and B) don't have enough talent.Mike Williams is being given every chance here AND he's a former first round pick. If he has as much talent as once though I don't see how he won't be a top 40 wr...and that's his absolute floor. With top 20 being his upside.
Agreed though I think his upside is a bit higher than WR20.

Most late round sleepers never A) get an opportunity and B) don't have enough talent.Mike Williams is being given every chance here AND he's a former first round pick. If he has as much talent as once though I don't see how he won't be a top 40 wr...and that's his absolute floor. With top 20 being his upside.
Now entering the town of Best/Finley.

Is it impossible for him to become SEA's top WR target and for Hasselbeck to look like the top-5 QB he was not all that long ago? Absolutely not.

Is it impossible for him to become SEA's top WR target and for Hasselbeck to look like the top-5 QB he was not all that long ago? Absolutely not.
Impossible? Of course not.

I don't think you understand what the word upside means. That's where the confusion is coming in.

I don't think you understand what the word upside means. That's where the confusion is coming in.
Oh, no, I get it. I just don't think he has that kind of upside. Doesn't mean it is impossible to reach an upside I think is out of reach. It's not impossible that Deion Branch catches 1,000 yards. But I ain't thinking he has that upside. A guy that hasn't done anything in the league in three chances, and isn't playing for a high-powered offense, I don't think his upside is a bit higher than WR20. I think BMW making the team is a nice accomplishment, I think plugging him into starting lineups is waaay too premature.

Actually, I don't think he'll have the best numbers of WRs named 'Mike Williams' this year.

just the preseason.... teams are focusing on players that they'll never use.
True to some extent, for some teams.But you can't say Seattle has a bench full of stud WRs that they are "resting" and that's why BMW is getting used in pre-season.Players can change, and I believe BMW has turned things around.It's Seattle in general that I'm not confident about. Will their QB even have enough time to look at BMW before getting sacked?

With Williams now starting, where does he fit in with other late round fliers? Gaffney? McCluster? J. Jones?
Good question. Just held a dynasty draft and they went Gaffney, Mike X, McC and Jacoby Jones. I got X in the last round thinking that his ceiling is much higher than the others. It was a difficulty choice to make over Jones, taking a potential #1 on a crappy offense over a #2 on a high-powered offense.

Oh, no, I get it. I just don't think he has that kind of upside. Doesn't mean it is impossible to reach an upside I think is out of reach. It's not impossible that Deion Branch catches 1,000 yards. But I ain't thinking he has that upside. A guy that hasn't done anything in the league in three chances, and isn't playing for a high-powered offense, I don't think his upside is a bit higher than WR20. I think BMW making the team is a nice accomplishment, I think plugging him into starting lineups is waaay too premature.

Actually, I don't think he'll have the best numbers of WRs named 'Mike Williams' this year.
A rookie WR with an injured second year QB?

To the best of my knowledge, Freeman isn't expected to miss the bulk of the season. And I liked what I saw of him last year. All that stuff about him needing years of seasoning after he was drafted was pretty much nonsense. He looked good to me.And I caught quite a bit of TB in the preseason, I saw Williams make a lot of plays rookies aren't supposed to make. I think he is the goods.

Not sure why people trust the QB with the balky back and the WR that has sucked for the better part of a decade more than the kids in Tampa.

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_...=fantasy-267429

Houshmandzadeh's departure clears the way for two potential sleepers among the Seattle receiver group.Mike Williams is the first name to know; the former USC star wowed the club in camp (being with former coach Pete Carroll surely helped), and we're still talking about a first-round talent here (fill in your own Matt Millen joke). Williams is set to open the year as a starter, and if I were walking into a draft this weekend, he would absolutely be the first Seattle receiver I'd consider. Brandon Funston, our man on the ground in the Emerald City, gives Williams his full endorsement.

Bingo. Massraider is way off here. A lot of others in that boat with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see another WR on that team with as much talent and potential as BMW. I like his chances of being WR1 in seattle by season's end.

Any thoughts on his potential dynasty value? I'm trying to judge this and am coming up short.
I scooped him in dynasty. He's only 26 years old. If he taps his enormous potential, he could be a factor for the next 5 years. He has the potential to be every bit as good as Vincent Jackson.
Just grabbed him in my main one as well. With fairly tight rosters and decent depth I couldn't decide who to drop for him, so I cut my kicker for now to buy time till Thursday. I think he has a chance to do well and is worth a shot. I just can't figure how much he COULD be worth. It seems his upside is quite high, through the roof high if it all comes together for him. But he could be a burnout as well - and on the waiver wire within a month.

For those that have held Dynasty rookie/free agent drafts this weekend, what pick did BMW go in your draft? For those of us struggling to target where to pick him, this info would be very helpful. Thanks.

I don't see another WR on that team with as much talent and potential as BMW. I like his chances of being WR1 in seattle by season's end.
Golden Tate is my call for dynasty. BMW might be the best option this year, but I don't see him being an every week starter for fantasy owners.BMW being a starter for this team says less about BMW than it does about the other stiffs they ran out there.

For those that have held Dynasty rookie/free agent drafts this weekend, what pick did BMW go in your draft? For those of us struggling to target where to pick him, this info would be very helpful. Thanks.
In a dynasty league with 9 keepers and 8 new draft slots I got him in the 8th (last) round.

Think I'm going to drop McCluster for him in my PPR league.. pick him up as my wr5
Even though "No one Cares about your fantasy team" I think dropping McCluster for M.Williams could be a mistake. McCluster value is greatly increased in a PPR league.

It's debates like this that make the Shark Pool good. Last year I missed with all the Chris Henry hype I bought into here in the pool... Anybody remember? Him and Palmer were connecting, he had a great preseason, great sleeper. But I did strike gold buying into the MSW hype early in the season.

Mike Williams is an intriguing player right now. He could turn out to be this years Mike Sims-Walker or this year's Chris Henry. It really is a crap shoot. But what are you giving up to take a flier on him? Late round pick? Free-agent move? pretty much nothing. If it doesn't work out, does it really hurt?

^ Is that 8th and 9th rounds in redraft or dynasty rookie/FA drafts? If it's the former, wow, just wow.

Users who are viewing this thread