What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on the Packers not allowing IR players in team photo (2 Viewers)

fruity pebbles

Footballguy
All over the Herd today. Thoughts on the Packers not flying their injured players in a couple days early to be in the Superbowl team photo. Guess Barnett and Finley in particular werent happy about it.

Wait. Not allowing them in the photo or not paying to fly them down there? Two different things. If it's that they're not allowed to be in the photo I think they have a right to be pissed. But put your own ### on a plane if you want in the picture so bad.

Wait. Not allowing them in the photo or not paying to fly them down there? Two different things. If it's that they're not allowed to be in the photo I think they have a right to be pissed. But put your own ### on a plane if you want in the picture so bad.
If they are members of the team they should be in the photo. If they are schlubs that don't matter then I agree with you.

Seems like a thoughtless move to me. Why would you not want everyone on the team to be a part of this moment?

Seems like a thoughtless move to me. Why would you not want everyone on the team to be a part of this moment?
They are flying all 16 IR guys down Thursday for the game to be part of the team :shrug: I don't buy this spin though

Another potential concern for the injured players is the team photo takes place during Tuesday’s media day, and the Packers’ injured players aren’t scheduled to join the team until Thursday. If the team were to bring injured players to the Dallas area earlier in the week, the players would end up missing nearly a week of their injury rehabilitation

I don't think they expected this kind of buzz from it...they should take care of it.

Anyone on the current roster/IR should be down there for the picture.

Bad move on GB's part.

They are flying all 16 IR guys down Thursday for the game to be part of the team :shrug: I don't buy this spin though

Another potential concern for the injured players is the team photo takes place during Tuesday’s media day, and the Packers’ injured players aren’t scheduled to join the team until Thursday. If the team were to bring injured players to the Dallas area earlier in the week, the players would end up missing nearly a week of their injury rehabilitation
I agree. They have how many more months of rehab before they have to play again? I doubt that missing this week is going to matter.

I don't think they expected this kind of buzz from it...they should take care of it.Anyone on the current roster/IR should be down there for the picture.Bad move on GB's part.
Really a strange move. Id think youd want as little controversy and distraction as possible before the big game.

I don't think they expected this kind of buzz from it...they should take care of it.Anyone on the current roster/IR should be down there for the picture.Bad move on GB's part.
Really a strange move. Id think youd want as little controversy and distraction as possible before the big game.
Not sure this is really any distraction though.A few tweets from guys about a picture is not going to cause any loss of focus by this team.

The picture is for players that will be involved in the game. Much ado about nothing here. If they want to be in the picture, than photo shop themselves into it later.

They'll be in the team pictures on the field when they're all holding the trophy - and then everyone will forget about it and move on.

The picture is for players that will be involved in the game. Much ado about nothing here. If they want to be in the picture, than photo shop themselves into it later.
Yeah...I guess.But will Tauscher be there? He has been kept around more as an advisor almost to the Oline since going on the IR.IMO...put them in the street clothes...the rest in the jerseys...and put em in the picture...just seems a foolish thing to even quibble about though.

The team had what they thought were good reasons but schedule the photo so everyone could be in it.

Seriously. If they send them now, it is a knee-jerk reaction. I am guessing a last minute flight from Milwaukee to Dallas costs $400-500 (and that is coach). Take the $8k and donate it to a local charity in the name of the 16 guys...I am sure none of them could care less about sitting around for a photo shoot and then flying back for a day, only to fly back again (I am guessing the Thu flight is already booked).

Finley and Barnett caused the distraction, not the team. These two are both great players who have somewhat of a history of not always being very mature and responsible in their off-the-field comments and actions. The unfortunate reality of the NFL is that if you are injured, the team has to move on with what its got and you are forgotten, until you are healthy again and can join the 53. Mike Golic this morning described injured players in the NFL as being "invisible". In this case, the team is flying its 53 players down on Tuesday and its 16 IR guys are coming down on Thursday. They will all be on the sidelines for the game, but otherwise are expected to stay invisible. The team has enough to worry about this week and should not have to hold these guys hands. Barnett already backtracked, acknowledging this was the case.One of the difficulties here I think is that Barnett has been huge for the Packers going back to the pre-Ted Thompson years. Finley was expecting to be a huge impact guy this year. I'm sure they are both happy for their teammates being in the Superbowl, but on some level I suppose it stings a bit to see the team having this amazingly successful season without them. They want this to somehow still be about them when it simply is not. I suppose they want to stay in the picture (pun) somehow, but I think they should both just sit back and enjoy the ride as much as possible and just shut up and be invisible.

Feels like we've heard for years that injured (not hurt) players are basically not a part of the team and that is part of why players hate being considered officially out, which would tie into this. I would think that mindset comes from not being involved in game preparation, meetings, etc so as to not be a distraction. But considering that the picture takes place on media day, which is essentially one giant never-ending distraction, feels like they should be part of it. Just my opinion.

So a guy like Mark Tauscher doesn't belong in the team photo?Wrong.This whole thing stinks. Terrible move by the Packers

If it was the Vikings, they'd invite anyone who'd ever played for the franchise to show up - because lord knows when they'd be back there again...

1. I'm not buying the "they will miss a weeks worth of rehab" thing....you mean to tell me they can't rehab anywhere in Dallas....?....the Packers will have all kinds of accomadations at their fingertips.....I would think a rehab/training room etc would probably be one of them.....give me a break....

2. anybody that contributed/played for that team this year deserves to be in the picture....

3. what if Aaron Rodgers got hurt week 15 and was put on IR but the Pack still made the super bowl.....think he'd be in the picture....?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the precedent here? Have IR players been in previous pictures from years past? What did the Steelers do this year? Again, much ado about nothing and people upset because they are not being catered to. There are more important things in the next couple of weeks than a picture. Grow up Barnett and Finley.

What is the precedent here? Have IR players been in previous pictures from years past? What did the Steelers do this year? Again, much ado about nothing and people upset because they are not being catered to. There are more important things in the next couple of weeks than a picture. Grow up Barnett and Finley.
got to disagree here.....the super bowl team picture is a pretty big deal....that picture will be used many times and be hanging in many places, especially if they win......this is actually one of the times when you kind of put money and everything else aside and just want to be a part of something special....there will only be one "official" super bowl team picture....being part of that is pretty special.....

Exactly, if other teams have allowed the IR players to be in the picture this is a BAD move by the Packers. If they haven't it's a non-story.

Everyone on the team should be in the team photo, including guys on IR and the practice squad.

Why should a guy signed in Week 17 get in the photo while a guy who played in 16 games is excluded? That's just dumb.

I don't know about this year, but in 2008 Mendenhall was on IR and is in the Steelers SB photo. :excited: ETA: In fact, I count 69 players in uniform in that picture

:excited:It's for the team. These players are part of the team. Say Roethlisberger got a torn groin on the last play of the game last week and was done for the year - he shouldn't be part of the Steelers picture?!?? Nonsense.One of the players said in another article that a big motivator for the team was the photos of those past championship Packers. That history is forever. And these guys are right to want to be in the picture.-QG

I don't know about this year, but in 2008 Mendenhall was on IR and is in the Steelers SB photo. :excited: ETA: In fact, I count 69 players in uniform in that picture
Sepulveda and Batch are both in the photo, and both were put on IR in the middle of August 2008.

only similar thing I can think of was the flap between Shockey and the Giants - but I think he was singular in any exclusion (and that he excluded himself as much as the team excluded him from anything). That was basically for Shockey being a jerk. This is a different deal.

-QG

I don't really see this affecting the game whatsoever, but the Packers definitely dropped the ball on this thing. No reason any player on the team shouldn't be in that photo...active, IR, or practice squad.

I don't care what the reason is (missing rehab or whatever), I just think its a bad decision. Regardless of what the precedent is.

It's the superbowl. If your on IR, your still a part of the team. The team, any team, should suck it up and get all the players down there to be in the photo.

Just my two cents.

One of the reasons from the Packers..

Blumb said it was important that many, if not all, of the injured players stay on their rehabilitation schedules as well, which is part of the reason why they're coming to Dallas later.

Seriously? Two days is going to throw off their rehab schedule? That seems to be insulting the intelligence of their fans and the players.

One of the reasons from the Packers..Blumb said it was important that many, if not all, of the injured players stay on their rehabilitation schedules as well, which is part of the reason why they're coming to Dallas later.Seriously? Two days is going to throw off their rehab schedule? That seems to be insulting the intelligence of their fans and the players.
Talk about bad karma.....And you know what they say about karma, she's a fickle #####.Putting my money on Pitt now.

only similar thing I can think of was the flap between Shockey and the Giants - but I think he was singular in any exclusion (and that he excluded himself as much as the team excluded him from anything). That was basically for Shockey being a jerk. This is a different deal.

-QG
I count 60 players in this team photo; however, it looks like Derrick Ward is NOT in the picture (and he was placed on IR halfway through the season).

If a player gets a ring, they should be in the team photo. Schedule the photo later in the week if the "rehab schedule" is such a big deal.

-QG
I count 60 players in this team photo; however, it looks like Derrick Ward is NOT in the picture (and he was placed on IR halfway through the season).
Practice squad players included?

Trevor Price was on ESPNs first and ten thing. He said the IR players should be in the photo. Since he has been to his share of SBs I'll side with him.

Question for the Cheesehead fans who probably would have a more logical place to look or have probably seen it:

Was Elijah Pitts in the Super Bowl II team photo?

-QG

So a guy like Mark Tauscher doesn't belong in the team photo?Wrong.This whole thing stinks. Terrible move by the Packers
:boxing: Bush league move by the Pack IMHO. These guys were key parts to the Packers before their injuries and they were hurt representing the Packers. Should be in the photo.

got to disagree here.....the super bowl team picture is a pretty big deal....that picture will be used many times and be hanging in many places, especially if they win......this is actually one of the times when you kind of put money and everything else aside and just want to be a part of something special....there will only be one "official" super bowl team picture....being part of that is pretty special.....
:confused:

More i think about it the more i think its a jerk move. Guys got hurt trying to get the Pack where they are.
Agreed 100%. Hopefully the Packers will come around.It's crazy to think had Rodgers gotten hurt last Sunday to the point he would have to be put ion the IR and the Packers saying, sorry Aaron, you are on the IR, you don't belong in the SB photo. :confused: :goodposting: :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread