What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where Does Sidney Rice Go From Here (1 Viewer)

HITMANMVP96

Footballguy
I don't know how many of you have had the opportunity to watch Sidney Rice play, but he is something special. He is not Fitz, but very similar. The guy goes up and plucks passes out of the air and uses his size and ups to snag any ball that is underthrown or off target. DB's can't cover him. It was fun to watch his 09 season. I would assume he will get a big contract and pair himself up with a solid QB here soon in the free agency frenzy, but despite his skill sets, he has been riddled with injuries throughout his 4 year career. Supposedly his hip is ready to go now, but I don't know much about hip injuries. Is this something that will hinder his future greatly or because he played through it in 09 & got a few games in at the end of the season last year, is it something that is in the past and unlikely to be an issue. I think he can be a monster, but do not know much about his injury and how it might impact a WR. Insights... comments...

As an owner, I REALLY hope he ends up with the Bears or Rams. Agree with everything else, regarding his skillset.

I'm hoping NE
Me too, but I think they are waiting on Taylor Price. They did very well with Branch, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Woodhead last year, and it would not surprise me at all if they dont make a big FA play at WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I wouldn't want him to go to the Panthers, he grew up 55 miles from there and could elect to 'go home' if they offer him a contract. They have money to spend and Smith may still want out, so it is possible. Really would like to see him go somewhere that has a good established QB. As others have said, Chicago, St. Louis, NE would be good.

We should know within a couple weeks.

This is going to sound a little crazy, but I'm going to go with it, take this one as is. I didn't want to post this one but the comment above makes it a bit more relevant. I live in NC and the woman that cuts my hair is Rice's aunt. We talk football, and last time I was in I asked about him. He mentioned that he might be seeing more of her this year, implying a move to the Panthers. With Steve Smith's football future in limbo, it makes sense that FA WRs would be contacted about signing beforehand. I'd second the move to the panthers.

I dropped him to keep Maclin in my keeper league. The hip scares the crap out of me but I do agree when he was healthy he looked like he was Top 10 WR, probably top 5 in PPR. I am going to take a chance and see if he drops to me in the 3rd or 4th round then i'll snag him but right now I'm very leery about the hip.

If he ends up going to Carolina that's another negative IMHO. He's going to have Cam Newton throwing the ball to him and I just don't think the kid is a great passer.

I dropped him to keep Maclin in my keeper league. The hip scares the crap out of me but I do agree when he was healthy he looked like he was Top 10 WR, probably top 5 in PPR. I am going to take a chance and see if he drops to me in the 3rd or 4th round then i'll snag him but right now I'm very leery about the hip.If he ends up going to Carolina that's another negative IMHO. He's going to have Cam Newton throwing the ball to him and I just don't think the kid is a great passer.
From a fantasy perspective you are dead on, but as my favorite team perspective he would add a lot of value to the Panthers. Especially if they kept Smith. I doubt he would catch a ton of balls but he would keep the defense honest.

I dropped him to keep Maclin in my keeper league. The hip scares the crap out of me but I do agree when he was healthy he looked like he was Top 10 WR, probably top 5 in PPR. I am going to take a chance and see if he drops to me in the 3rd or 4th round then i'll snag him but right now I'm very leery about the hip.If he ends up going to Carolina that's another negative IMHO. He's going to have Cam Newton throwing the ball to him and I just don't think the kid is a great passer.
From a fantasy perspective you are dead on, but as my favorite team perspective he would add a lot of value to the Panthers. Especially if they kept Smith. I doubt he would catch a ton of balls but he would keep the defense honest.
Oh no doubt about it. Sidney Rice is still a very good football player in his own right. If you had him on the other side of Steve Smith it helps Newton or whomever starts for them immensly and they won't have 8 men in the box to tackle Stewart or Goodson either. Their offense will benefit greatly if he signs there.

I just hope he's not the next Javon Walker. He teased us with the same kind of big play ability and then....

I do think Rice is the real deal though. :thumbup:

The only reason his hip is an issue at all is because his agent told him to wait on the surgery until he got and extension. Had he gotten the surgery immediately following the season he would have been ready to go by week 1 and no one would be saying boo right now. Turns out they actually did the Vikings a favor by giving other teams something to think about when looking to sign him. If not for that some team would break the bank for this kid... and they still might.

This is going to sound a little crazy, but I'm going to go with it, take this one as is. I didn't want to post this one but the comment above makes it a bit more relevant. I live in NC and the woman that cuts my hair is Rice's aunt. We talk football, and last time I was in I asked about him. He mentioned that he might be seeing more of her this year, implying a move to the Panthers. With Steve Smith's football future in limbo, it makes sense that FA WRs would be contacted about signing beforehand. I'd second the move to the panthers.
Just being a pessimist here, but when he said he'd be seeing a lot more of his aunt this year, could he have meant due to the lockout and him having more time on his hands to visit family? While it would be a big help to Cam having Sidney, it would probably be a punch in the gut to Sidney owners since Cam is not an established QB and Rice owners would probably have to wait a couple years at least for Rice to put up solid numbers.

One miracle season by Favre made him look better than he is. That season is the anomoly so far. Otherwise he's been good, not great. Hope the Vikings keep him but he is more likely to be one of the next, great very over priced free agents. Think Berrian.

The only reason his hip is an issue at all is because his agent told him to wait on the surgery until he got and extension. Had he gotten the surgery immediately following the season he would have been ready to go by week 1 and no one would be saying boo right now. Turns out they actually did the Vikings a favor by giving other teams something to think about when looking to sign him. If not for that some team would break the bank for this kid... and they still might.
What about the rumors his hip is still giving him pain? I could have sworn is read a couple of blurbs about it still being an issue.

Love Rice more than many, but especially with his fate up in the air in FA, I decided to move him, Ford, and 2 2012 1sts for Nicks...gotta take a deal where I can land a stud like that. Still believe in Rice's talent though.

The thing about Rice that makes him different from other big name WR free agent 'busts' is that Rice has actually been a student of the game as he's matured. He trained with Fitzgerald, for instance, and he's a fairly smart guy. I think he's going to be a steal for someone, actually. When healthy, he has Owens-like ability.

If you can get him cheap, do it. You won't be disappointed.

The thing about Rice that makes him different from other big name WR free agent 'busts' is that Rice has actually been a student of the game as he's matured. He trained with Fitzgerald, for instance, and he's a fairly smart guy. I think he's going to be a steal for someone, actually. When healthy, he has Owens-like ability.If you can get him cheap, do it. You won't be disappointed.
I agree he is a good buy low with upside, however his game does not resemble Owen's in the least bit.

The thing about Rice that makes him different from other big name WR free agent 'busts' is that Rice has actually been a student of the game as he's matured. He trained with Fitzgerald, for instance, and he's a fairly smart guy. I think he's going to be a steal for someone, actually. When healthy, he has Owens-like ability.If you can get him cheap, do it. You won't be disappointed.
I agree he is a good buy low with upside, however his game does not resemble Owen's in the least bit.
Referring to his #s potential. 1300 yards 12ish TDs the next decade in the right system. I guess I could've used several names there, so how 'bout Fitzgerald himself?

I will throw a wildcard for a Rice landing: Tampa Bay. Young QB competing in a developing passing division. They will need to continue to provide their franchise QB weapons in order to keep up with NO and ATL. Also with Benn coming off a major injury they are thin at the position.

I'm wholeheartedly convinced he's the real deal, but the injury factor worries me. That being said, I'd kill to see him in a Saints uniform

Per Rotoworld - Sidney Rice - WR - Vikings NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Seahawks are "making a play" for free agent WR Sidney Rice.

Seattle has deep pockets and a fairly desperate need for a legit No. 1 receiver. They also have an in with Rice, as new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell coached him the past few years. From a fantasy perspective, it's hard to envision a scenario worse than catching passes from Tarvaris Jackson in Seattle.

Yuck... he wouldn't do that...? :(

If I was picking my new home factors would be in this order

1. Winning

2. $$

3. My QB

4. Coaches

5. Where I want to live

5. If I like the team logo and uniforms :)

As a Rice owner, I would be pissed if he went to Seattle for the money. You know they won't be winning anytime soon. No QB, mish moss of WR's, mediocre running game, mediocre defense. Only good thing about Seattle is the crappy division.

Sneaky play here...what about if he were to land in Jacksonville? :ph34r:

Per Rotoworld - Sidney Rice - WR - Vikings NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Seahawks are "making a play" for free agent WR Sidney Rice.Seattle has deep pockets and a fairly desperate need for a legit No. 1 receiver. They also have an in with Rice, as new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell coached him the past few years. From a fantasy perspective, it's hard to envision a scenario worse than catching passes from Tarvaris Jackson in Seattle. Yuck... he wouldn't do that...? :( If I was picking my new home factors would be in this order1. Winning2. $$3. My QB4. Coaches5. Where I want to live5. If I like the team logo and uniforms :)
That's nice to say and all, but for almost everyone your "2." is the number one factor by far and then the order may switch around according to personal preference after that.If Seattle offers him the most guaranteed money, he'd likely sign there even if Charlie Brown was thier QB.

Seattle + Tjack, sounds like a bad nightmare. But I can see Rice only caring about the money, and if so he will be a seahawk

Only bad thing Sidney Rice ever did (or maybe it was the Vikes training staff?) was waiting on that hip surgery. I think the only thing that'll hold him back is his QB play. As long as he has a decent QB throwing him the ball I think he'll be okay.

The funny thing is that if Seattle hadn't wasted money signing TJ Housh a couple years ago, when Minn. was also after him, Rice might never have had the opportunity for that one breakout season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does McNabb call up Rice and try to convince him to stay? He could have an agreement with Seattle but nothing is official until the end of the week.

Per twitter

Sidney Rice & his agent are wrapping up deal with the Seahawks (Agreement in principle) done on Friday!
So, it's tough for me to overlook what's going on with Sidney Rice. NFL source confirmed #Seahawks are pushing hard, pending physical.
per twitter? but who on twitter...?looking into this you find that its @incarceratedbob - this guy claims to have "breaking new's before the mainstream media" but i don't know who the f**k he is. the last think i've seen from actual reliable sources on twitter are that both MN and SEA are in talks with him. until we hear something from someone reliable and not some dude name incarceratedbob, i think it's ok to stay off the panic button. not saying this isn't going to happen, just saying it's likely that it hasn't gone this far yet. i'm pretty sure the vikings know how badly they need this kid, i can see them doing as much as they can (within their means) to prevent another team picking him up. time will tell i suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread