What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

'fasteddie_21 said:
In addition to these minor tasks, Howard says you’ll be able to do extra work for each of the game’s factions, like the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. Once you complete the scripted quest lines for each group, you can go to their respective hubs and pick up randomly generated missions to steal gems or assassinate shopkeepers across Skyrim’s massive world.
This is one of the things I really wanted from Oblivion. Awesome. I don't think I've ever been this geeked for a game. Closest thing is the release of San Andreas, but this puts that to shame.

'fasteddie_21 said:
I guess that's cool, but nothing about those "go pick 10 flowers" quests appeals to me.
Idk, randomly generated "steal this" and "kill this guy" quests could be pretty cool. They wouldn't really be glorified "fetch" quests unless that's how you look at the main storylines for those guilds in the first place.
Agreed. I love that they'll be tailored to your individual character as well. 'Oh, you haven't explored this area yet, let's send you there!'

:thumbup.

For those that care, reviews officially are going to (allowed) posted on all the gaming websites at 8am EST tomorrow morning.

'fasteddie_21 said:
I guess that's cool, but nothing about those "go pick 10 flowers" quests appeals to me.
Idk, randomly generated "steal this" and "kill this guy" quests could be pretty cool. They wouldn't really be glorified "fetch" quests unless that's how you look at the main storylines for those guilds in the first place.
Agreed. I love that they'll be tailored to your individual character as well. 'Oh, you haven't explored this area yet, let's send you there!'

For those that care, reviews officially are going to (allowed) posted on all the gaming websites at 8am EST tomorrow morning.
reviews by mainstream sites are never negative and are usually so shallow as to be useless. user reviews 8-12 weeks post-release are much better indicators of game quality.

'fasteddie_21 said:

reviews by mainstream sites are never negative and are usually so shallow as to be useless. user reviews 8-12 weeks post-release are much better indicators of game quality.
Sure, the really big advertiser driven sites are as you say.However, sites like eurogamer.net, game-over.net, zero punctuation, giantbomb, to name some, tend to be pretty damn honest about the games. :shrug:

I already pre-ordered it (my first in 2 years), so it's moot for me, but I would like to hear some feedback.

'fasteddie_21 said:
Doing that stuff without some underlying plot motivation can be pretty boring. Hopefully they find a way to make it interesting.

First though, I really fancy a nice set of Glass Armour, so time to explore a few caves for ore to mine then spend some good, honest hours at the forge. I may be some time. I may be the rest of the year, and beyond. Not only is Skyrim, for my money, the game of the year, but… oh this is hard. Very hard. I’m sorry Morrowind – I love you, but I don’t need you anymore. I think, at last, there is a new Best Elder Scrolls Ever.
:pickle: Rock Paper Shotgun review

Eurogamer Review

In a word: yes, yes it's lived up to the hype. not perfect in every single thing, very minor bugs, but overall, goodbye world for a few...months? :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
That Rock Paper Shotgun review is awesome.

I know it was talked about already but im too lazy to look

Are there any advantages to pre ordering this or should I just walk into the store tomorrow and buy it

Are there any advantages to pre ordering this or should I just walk into the store tomorrow and buy it
Amazon was offering a $10 credit for preorders. Not sure if that offer is still up.
At this point, I want to play the game tomorrow so Amazon is out. Thanks
I'll be receiving my copy from Amazon tomorrow. Release day delivery is only $0.99. Having said that, Amazon's release day delivery seems to have gotten a little dodgy as of late. They didn't get Dark Souls to me on time, and I know some people in the Battlefield thread complained that their copy of BF3 was delayed for a day or two.

Amazon was offering a $10 credit for preorders. Not sure if that offer is still up.
I'll be receiving my copy from Amazon tomorrow. Release day delivery is only $0.99. Having said that, Amazon's release day delivery seems to have gotten a little dodgy as of late. They didn't get Dark Souls to me on time, and I know some people in the Battlefield thread complained that their copy of BF3 was delayed for a day or two.
If Amazon does not get my copy to me tomorrow am, I am gonna...I don't know, do something drastic.

I'm seriously considering going to the midnight release to nab my copy.

I can't believe I'm saying this. I am not a gamenerd of this level. Haven't been since I was 15. But all the reviews, gameplay clips on youtube, and my love of Oblivion has me geeked beyond compare.

Get it tonight. Play a bit. Sleep. Go work from 10M-2pm Friday (with commute time!) and get back home to play a bit before my 5 year old son comes home at 4pm to shut it down until his 9pm bedtime.

I've officially crossed over the line here.

:nerd:

If Amazon does not get my copy to me tomorrow am, I am gonna...I don't know, do something drastic.
Like go to redbox and rent it for a day? ;)

I'm seriously considering going to the midnight release to nab my copy.I can't believe I'm saying this. I am not a gamenerd of this level. Haven't been since I was 15. But all the reviews, gameplay clips on youtube, and my love of Oblivion has me geeked beyond compare.Get it tonight. Play a bit. Sleep. Go work from 10M-2pm Friday (with commute time!) and get back home to play a bit before my 5 year old son comes home at 4pm to shut it down until his 9pm bedtime. I've officially crossed over the line here. :nerd:
I can relate. I like playing videogames, but not the 'zOMG' type...but last night, I was racking my brain trying to remember the last time I was THIS jacked up to play a game...and I couldn't come up with anything. CanNotWait!

This is likely more a carrier issue than an Amazon issue.

Like go to redbox and rent it for a day? ;)
I guess thats better than getting into a fist fight with my UPS driver.

Ok, last ESs game I played with Morrowind that I bought on the original XBox launch day. I was awful at it and borderline hated it.

This is way above and beyond that, right? Or did you guys like Morrowind too?

Gents. I have to say I'm fairly :nerd: about this as well. I still have New Vegas to finish, but will likely ask Santa for this. So please make liberal use of the spoiler tag in here, as I would love to keep track of features and such but really want to keep the cool stuff unknown.

Ok, last ESs game I played with Morrowind that I bought on the original XBox launch day. I was awful at it and borderline hated it.This is way above and beyond that, right? Or did you guys like Morrowind too?
How can you be awful at Morrowind?
Well, I probably put about 30 hours total into, basically just leveling by running and jumping around. I got to some mine thing that I remember getting worked pretty hard by whatever was down there. I found some little city up north with a bunch of huts connected by bridges. I found a dagger or a flute at the bottom of one of the ponds there that was worth quiet a bit. I tried to work my way up the theives guild but ultimately I would just go into a house, kill the inhabitant, and then make 2 or three trips to the store selling off every earthly possession they had. Actually I think I did this 25 of the 30 total hours to play. I have no idea what the point of the game was, or what the story even was.That was 10 years ago, I've probably matured a good three or four years since then.

Gents. I have to say I'm fairly :nerd: about this as well. I still have New Vegas to finish, but will likely ask Santa for this. So please make liberal use of the spoiler tag in here, as I would love to keep track of features and such but really want to keep the cool stuff unknown.
:lmao:

Ok, last ESs game I played with Morrowind that I bought on the original XBox launch day. I was awful at it and borderline hated it.This is way above and beyond that, right? Or did you guys like Morrowind too?
How can you be awful at Morrowind?
Well, I probably put about 30 hours total into, basically just leveling by running and jumping around. I got to some mine thing that I remember getting worked pretty hard by whatever was down there. I found some little city up north with a bunch of huts connected by bridges. I found a dagger or a flute at the bottom of one of the ponds there that was worth quiet a bit. I tried to work my way up the theives guild but ultimately I would just go into a house, kill the inhabitant, and then make 2 or three trips to the store selling off every earthly possession they had. Actually I think I did this 25 of the 30 total hours to play. I have no idea what the point of the game was, or what the story even was.That was 10 years ago, I've probably matured a good three or four years since then.
The elder scrolls games (daggerfall, morrowind, oblivion) all have a "main" story, but it's not a driven one like Dragon Age/etc. In games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect (etc) you eventually have no choice but to do the main story. The ES games are different - it's based much more on imagination and roleplay. Wanna be a thief? You'll find the thieves guild, and can spend hour after hour doing all kinds of Thief-y things. You need not ever touch the main quest (I have never finished the "main" quest in an ES game, and I have hundreds of hours played in them). And the game will never push you to play the main quest - you get out of it what you wish. If you imagine your character as an undead hunter and just want to explore and clean the undead out of ruins, have at it - you'll have 100 hours of gameplay right there. But if you wish to do that, to a degree, you kind of have to "invent" the story / why / etc.

Ugh, that reminds me I still have to finish GOTY FallOut 3.I'll probably spend the rest of the month completing that, then pick up Skyrim for Christmas.

I think my wife is going to pick it up for the midnight release. I have tomorrow off and plan to dedicate my day to Skyrim. Can't wait!

I just fired up Oblivion to do a run-through before Skyrim for a little warm-up. Can't wait....soooooo can't wait :nerd:

I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to the midnight release. Mostly because it's in the opposite direction from work, and I'd rather just come home and play tomorrow without running another 20 miles for the game. I'm sure I'll play at least 2-3 hours tonight.

Something tells me tomorrow's lecture/discussion is going to be, um, student-driven.

I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm going to the midnight release. Mostly because it's in the opposite direction from work, and I'd rather just come home and play tomorrow without running another 20 miles for the game. I'm sure I'll play at least 2-3 hours tonight.

Something tells me tomorrow's lecture/discussion is going to be, um, student-driven.
which store?

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
Your Amazon.com order of "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" has shipped!Your estimated delivery date is: Friday, November 11, 2011 :excited: :nerd:
Who is listed as the carrier. I'll give you the liklihood of you getting it

which store?
GameStop and Best Buys are having midnight openings. Not every one but mostFly, cancel class IMO. They won't be too disappointed.

I am going to pick this up at midnight. This from a guy who has never really got into the RPG genre before. This game just looks and sounds that amazing.

That being said, what kind of learning curve am I looking at? Seems from the trailer and reviews that there is an awful lot going on in the game, but I am really anxious to try it out.

which store?
GameStop and Best Buys are having midnight openings. Not every one but mostFly, cancel class IMO. They won't be too disappointed.
Believe me, I would have. But I need to cancel next Friday because DP Jr. has off school but Mrs. DP needs to work. :(

However, both are going away for the weekend. It's just me and Skyrim.

...and some papers on Plato and Sarte. :cry:

I am going to pick this up at midnight. This from a guy who has never really got into the RPG genre before. This game just looks and sounds that amazing. That being said, what kind of learning curve am I looking at? Seems from the trailer and reviews that there is an awful lot going on in the game, but I am really anxious to try it out.
If it's like Oblivion, it'll teach you as you go along.

I am going to pick this up at midnight. This from a guy who has never really got into the RPG genre before. This game just looks and sounds that amazing. That being said, what kind of learning curve am I looking at? Seems from the trailer and reviews that there is an awful lot going on in the game, but I am really anxious to try it out.
If it's like Oblivion, it'll teach you as you go along.
Awesome. Can't wait to play it

Users who are viewing this thread