What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (4 Viewers)

renesauz>if Sandusky wasn't part of the program and had nothing to do with the team, why was he in a locked locker room at 9:30pm on a Friday night with a young boy?do you really think Joe was not powerful enough to stop him if he wanted to?
Do you really think PSU football players and personel are the ONLY ones allowed to use facilities? NOBODY else shares ANY of those facilities? Football facilities at EVERY campus are occassionaly used by other organizations both out of season and in season. Just because some charity used some locker room doesn't mean they were "part of the football program".Could Joe Paterno have done more. ABSOLUTELY! But Paterno was not his boss, and he was NOT the witness. Had Sandusky been arested and charged then, Paterno would have never even been called to testify. Who holds more repsonsibility...the guy who witnesses a crime and doesn't report it, or the 3rd party he told about it? Joe Paterno passed it along to people with investigative power. He was NOT the witness.Again...Paterno holds blame, just not the blame he's getting. (Based on what we know...clearly there's a lot we don't know.)
if mcqueary or paterno picks up the phone and calls the cops then more little boys dont get raped and have their lifes ruinedits called being moral and caring more about childrens lifes then a football program or bad press or just not letting something bad come out about another coach or whatever caused them to not act on what they knew aboutgo ahead and stand up for that -- the more you say the worse you look and hey its your soul so beat it all to hell if makes yyou feel better but the grown ups all know damned well that when you have the chance to stop a pedo and you dont and more kids get raped its a black mark on your soul forever and no #######ed number of wins or bowl appearances matter for jack crap when you have to face your judge

'Chase Stuart said:
Tyoka: McQueary went to coach. The buck stops with coach. Everything goes through him. Once it goes to him, that's the end of it. So I don't blame McQueary. I don't know how he sleeps at night. I don't know how he sees Sandusky every day for years. I have a feeling he's in his own personal hell. But I don't blame him as much as Paterno. At Penn State, everything goes through coach, and once you tell him, you're done.
How does the buck stop at coach Paterno? SANDUSKY WAS NO LONGER ON THE COACHING STAFF. He was NO LONGER PART OF THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM.
no. he had an office there. he used the facilities to rape young boys. he brought his victims with him as part of the traveling party with the team. he brought the victims to practices. He was most definitely part of the program even if he wasn't collecting checks from them.
So when a staff member goes off the deep end we should consider him part of the FBG program and hold the rest of the staff accountable?
If he uses the FBG site to perpetrate violent crimes and they're aware and cover it up, then yes.
Absolutely...but how is it "covering it up" to report it to your boss? And if an on campus investigation happens and declares no problem, how is it then still on Paterno? HE DIDN'T SEE IT. HE'S NOT THE WITNESS.
If it was Paterno's grandson in the shower with Sandusky, do you think he would have just reported it to the AD?

Absolutely...but how is it "covering it up" to report it to your boss? And if an on campus investigation happens and declares no problem, how is it then still on Paterno? HE DIDN'T SEE IT. HE'S NOT THE WITNESS.
Put yourself in Paterno's shoes. If you hear the story McQueary told him, told Curley about it, and never heard of anything happening to Sandusky afterwards, how would you react? You'd just forget about it? You would let the guy continue to bring young boys around your team and practices, locker rooms, etc? You'd stay quiet when the guy brought kids on trips to bowl games?

This was OUTSIDE the program...it had ZERO to do with the team.
this is simply not accurate at all.
It's 100% accurate unless you take the stance that Paterno really IS the alpha and omega of the football program. Sorry...I don't buy that stance. Recruiting and actual coaching were unaffected. Sandusky used facilities, but he didn't report to Joe Paterno...he wasn't even a coach anymore!If a coach gets caught drunk driving...is that on the coach or the program? If a coach murders his wife...is that on the program? This incident has nothing to do with the coach or the team, and everything to do with the individuals named. Do you expect NCAA sanctions? I wouldn't,because it had nothing to do with the on field athletic product. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ATHLETICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing.....campus police are real cops, at least on a major campus like that. Reporting an incident to campus police isshould be every bit equivalent to calling city police.
if a former coach USES the athletic facilities and his connection with the program to commit his crimes while the people running the program and the school look the other way, it has a hell of a lot more than zero to do with the team.
Agreed. Renesauz is way off base with this.
???????? Did they "look the other way?" Someone did certainly. but was it Paterno if he passed along the info? There's an assumption here that PAterno was actively involved in a cover-up, and the known facts simply don't support that assumption. If a DA was involved in 2002, than what else would you really expect. Something stinks...someone covered up something...but this really was outside PAterno's direct area of responsibility, and it's a stretch to assume he would be complicit in said cover-up.Look, I'm just as pissed off and disgusted as you are...but firmly believe that most of y'all are directly that justifiable anger at the wrong people (based on what we know right now).

So why isn't McQueary fired again?

Anyone think that the U is afraid if he's fired, then all bets are off and he blabs everything, and possibly more than we know. Therefore throwing a lot more people into the fire? Are they still protecting themselves??

'Chase Stuart said:
Tyoka: McQueary went to coach. The buck stops with coach. Everything goes through him. Once it goes to him, that's the end of it. So I don't blame McQueary. I don't know how he sleeps at night. I don't know how he sees Sandusky every day for years. I have a feeling he's in his own personal hell. But I don't blame him as much as Paterno. At Penn State, everything goes through coach, and once you tell him, you're done.
How does the buck stop at coach Paterno? SANDUSKY WAS NO LONGER ON THE COACHING STAFF. He was NO LONGER PART OF THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM.
no. he had an office there. he used the facilities to rape young boys. he brought his victims with him as part of the traveling party with the team. he brought the victims to practices. He was most definitely part of the program even if he wasn't collecting checks from them.
So when a staff member goes off the deep end we should consider him part of the FBG program and hold the rest of the staff accountable?
if a former FBG staff member commits some type of fraud on this message board thanks to his prior connection with this website, and Joe or David learn about it but don't do anything to stop it, would anyone really say that they were not responsible in some way? would anyone try to argue that it had nothing to do with FBG since he was no longer part of the staff?of course not.
What if you knew about it but didn't do anything. Should the FBG site be shut down for two years? Regarding your exmaple, I can think of a case where some here were lax in shining the light on a rogue contest. While said contest was not managed by FBG, one could argue that this site based on reputation has some responsibility to the industry. I see this as a problem with employees at the university, not the football program in of it's self.

Put yourself in Paterno's shoes. If you hear the story McQueary told him, told Curley about it, and never heard of anything happening to Sandusky afterwards, how would you react? You'd just forget about it? You would let the guy continue to bring young boys around your team and practices, locker rooms, etc? You'd stay quiet when the guy brought kids on trips to bowl games?
Good point.

When Barry Switzer admits you should be fired, you should be fired:

Barry Switzer knew Joe Paterno's career could end only one way.

Once he saw the footage of the Penn State coach standing on his lawn, talking to reporters and admitting to the world that he should've done more, the former Oklahoma coach realized his fate was sealed. He would be forced out. He would be fired.

“I knew that it would come to this,” Switzer said.

It had to.

“They did the right thing at the university,” he said. “The university had to do this, and it was the right thing to do.”

He paused and sighed.

“It's a tragic, sad story. There are no winners here.”

He paused again.

“There are no winners at all.”

College athletics has never seen anything like what has unfolded this past week at Penn State. Heavens, sports has never seen anything worse. There has been no bigger scandal, no worse indignity. This goes beyond athletes trading memorabilia for tattoos or boosters taking recruits on ritzy harbor cruises or agents paying rent for a superstar's parents. This goes beyond trouble that has rocked Ohio State and Miami and USC and so many others. This even goes beyond the wild west days at Oklahoma.

Yes, those were ugly, awful times in Norman that forced Switzer out the door and embarrassed an entire state. But the details of what happened then don't make your skin crawl like the never ending news stream flowing these days from Happy Valley.

Ironically, it was Paterno who took aim at Switzer nearly three decades ago. He proclaimed that he wouldn't retire and “leave college football to the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers of the world.” He quickly apologized to Switzer, and the two became friends in the years that followed.

Switzer even wrote extensively about Paterno in his book.

But no excuses — Paterno had to go.

“Having been in this profession a long time and knowing how close coaching staffs are, I knew that this was a secret that was kept secret,” Switzer said. “Everyone on that staff had to have known, the ones that had been around a long time.”

Those are chilling words. They are the most disturbing missives, not in a week filled with heinous reports and atrocious news, but read again what Switzer said.

Everyone had to have known.

Everyone.

If that doesn't cause a chill to run up your spin, nothing will.

“You think that a 13-year assistant … hasn't told someone else?” Switzer said. “His wife? His father? People knew. The community knew.”

He's right, of course. State College is like many college towns, big enough to have the diversity of a larger city but small enough to have the familiarity of a tinier town. It is an idyllic setting for many folks.

But everybody tends to know everybody's business.

Much like Norman where people knew there were problems with the Sooner program before players started shooting guns off the dorm balcony, people in State College had to know something was amiss with Jerry Sandusky.

“There are more people culpable than just Joe Paterno and the athletic director,” Switzer said via telephone while traveling in Texas. “There are so many other people that have thought, ‘I could've done something about this, too' that didn't come forward. That's the tragedy of it.”

That is the tragedy. The adults who had the power to protect kids from a monster. The adults who passed the buck and expected someone else to take care of the problem. The adults who could've saved at least eight little boys from carrying the scars of sexual abuse for the rest of their lives.

And among those adults is Paterno, the man who'd been seen as one of sports' most honorable coaches at one of college football's most upstanding programs.

“There's no university immune to this,” Switzer said. “No one is immune to what happened at Penn State or what happened at Oklahoma. It happened years ago, and it'll happen years in the future.

“People make poor decisions, poor choices, and this is what can occur.”

But how?

How can such powerful programs and commanding coaches lose control like this?

“I'll tell you how it happens — it's the American sports phenomenon,” Switzer said. “I've seen it happen all my life; we've made coaches and players and athletes more than what we are. It's what happens in American sports. Because of that, they've gotten away with more than they should have.

“These students the other night, I watched ‘em occupy State College, and I thought, ‘They don't understand.' If they stopped and thought about … how many people were involved and knew this and did nothing, they just haven't lived long enough.

“And what they've done is try to support somebody the university can't support.”

No one knows better than Switzer how difficult it is to be forced out of a job that you love from a program that you built at a university that you champion. But he also knows that there was no other conclusion for Paterno.

Joe had to go.
http://newsok.com/penn-state-tragedy-barry-switzer-says-joe-paterno-had-to-go/article/3621872?custom_click=pod_headline_ou-sports

renesauz>if Sandusky wasn't part of the program and had nothing to do with the team, why was he in a locked locker room at 9:30pm on a Friday night with a young boy?do you really think Joe was not powerful enough to stop him if he wanted to?
Do you really think PSU football players and personel are the ONLY ones allowed to use facilities? NOBODY else shares ANY of those facilities? Football facilities at EVERY campus are occassionaly used by other organizations both out of season and in season. Just because some charity used some locker room doesn't mean they were "part of the football program".Could Joe Paterno have done more. ABSOLUTELY! But Paterno was not his boss, and he was NOT the witness. Had Sandusky been arested and charged then, Paterno would have never even been called to testify. Who holds more repsonsibility...the guy who witnesses a crime and doesn't report it, or the 3rd party he told about it? Joe Paterno passed it along to people with investigative power. He was NOT the witness.Again...Paterno holds blame, just not the blame he's getting. (Based on what we know...clearly there's a lot we don't know.)
Maybe if we use circular logic things might sink in.If Paterno put an end to things in 1998 by going to the authorities, how many more assaults would have there been at PSU? How many would there have been anyplace else? Rinse and repeat those questions in 1999. Or 2000. Or 2002. Or any point thereafter.There is NO WAY that Paterno had no knowledge of what was going on. This was his program for years. He ENABLED heinous things to continue to go on AFTER KNOWING WHAT WAS HAPPENING.PATERNO allowed Sandusky to hang out on campus, with the team, and have kids around. No matter how you slice it or weasel word it, the fact is he looked the other way. If Paterno and PSU wanted to put an end to what was happening, they could have ratted out Sandusky at any point and have security throw him off campus. By NOT doing that, in a round about way they were condoning his behavior.If there were only one incident that ever happened and it never happened again, a case could be made that PSU and their staff reported something to someone and there would not have been a public outrage. It's the fact that people KNEW what happened and did nothing to stop it that allowed more attacks that has people with torches and pitchforks (and PSU looking at shelling out millions in lawsuits).

So why isn't McQueary fired again?

Anyone think that the U is afraid if he's fired, then all bets are off and he blabs everything, and possibly more than we know. Therefore throwing a lot more people into the fire? Are they still protecting themselves??
Time is needed to investigate to prevent a wrongful termination lawsuit, although that could probably be weaseled out of based on his contract. They may also need him. He basically could be considered a whistleblower right now to a certain extent.JoePa is easily to let go based on his morals clause and the impact on the univeristy.

What if you knew about it but didn't do anything. Should the FBG site be shut down for two years? Regarding your exmaple, I can think of a case where some here were lax in shining the light on a rogue contest. While said contest was not managed by FBG, one could argue that this site based on reputation has some responsibility to the industry. I see this as a problem with employees at the university, not the football program in of it's self.
very few people are arguing for NCAA sanctions against the football program. I think that's a stretch. If anything, the University could impose some type of penalty on themselves as they might do in a situation where hazing got out of control or something.But, the players weren't the perps here and the coaches really weren't either. I agree this is primarily an administration problem, but it's ridiculous to argue that it has zero connection to the football program.

When Barry Switzer admits you should be fired, you should be fired:

Barry Switzer knew Joe Paterno's career could end only one way.

Once he saw the footage of the Penn State coach standing on his lawn, talking to reporters and admitting to the world that he should've done more, the former Oklahoma coach realized his fate was sealed. He would be forced out. He would be fired.

“I knew that it would come to this,” Switzer said.

It had to.

“They did the right thing at the university,” he said. “The university had to do this, and it was the right thing to do.”

He paused and sighed.

“It's a tragic, sad story. There are no winners here.”

He paused again.

“There are no winners at all.”

College athletics has never seen anything like what has unfolded this past week at Penn State. Heavens, sports has never seen anything worse. There has been no bigger scandal, no worse indignity. This goes beyond athletes trading memorabilia for tattoos or boosters taking recruits on ritzy harbor cruises or agents paying rent for a superstar's parents. This goes beyond trouble that has rocked Ohio State and Miami and USC and so many others. This even goes beyond the wild west days at Oklahoma.

Yes, those were ugly, awful times in Norman that forced Switzer out the door and embarrassed an entire state. But the details of what happened then don't make your skin crawl like the never ending news stream flowing these days from Happy Valley.

Ironically, it was Paterno who took aim at Switzer nearly three decades ago. He proclaimed that he wouldn't retire and “leave college football to the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers of the world.” He quickly apologized to Switzer, and the two became friends in the years that followed.

Switzer even wrote extensively about Paterno in his book.

But no excuses — Paterno had to go.

“Having been in this profession a long time and knowing how close coaching staffs are, I knew that this was a secret that was kept secret,” Switzer said. “Everyone on that staff had to have known, the ones that had been around a long time.”

Those are chilling words. They are the most disturbing missives, not in a week filled with heinous reports and atrocious news, but read again what Switzer said.

Everyone had to have known.

Everyone.

If that doesn't cause a chill to run up your spin, nothing will.

“You think that a 13-year assistant … hasn't told someone else?” Switzer said. “His wife? His father? People knew. The community knew.”

He's right, of course. State College is like many college towns, big enough to have the diversity of a larger city but small enough to have the familiarity of a tinier town. It is an idyllic setting for many folks.

But everybody tends to know everybody's business.

Much like Norman where people knew there were problems with the Sooner program before players started shooting guns off the dorm balcony, people in State College had to know something was amiss with Jerry Sandusky.

“There are more people culpable than just Joe Paterno and the athletic director,” Switzer said via telephone while traveling in Texas. “There are so many other people that have thought, ‘I could've done something about this, too' that didn't come forward. That's the tragedy of it.”

That is the tragedy. The adults who had the power to protect kids from a monster. The adults who passed the buck and expected someone else to take care of the problem. The adults who could've saved at least eight little boys from carrying the scars of sexual abuse for the rest of their lives.

And among those adults is Paterno, the man who'd been seen as one of sports' most honorable coaches at one of college football's most upstanding programs.

“There's no university immune to this,” Switzer said. “No one is immune to what happened at Penn State or what happened at Oklahoma. It happened years ago, and it'll happen years in the future.

“People make poor decisions, poor choices, and this is what can occur.”

But how?

How can such powerful programs and commanding coaches lose control like this?

“I'll tell you how it happens — it's the American sports phenomenon,” Switzer said. “I've seen it happen all my life; we've made coaches and players and athletes more than what we are. It's what happens in American sports. Because of that, they've gotten away with more than they should have.

“These students the other night, I watched ‘em occupy State College, and I thought, ‘They don't understand.' If they stopped and thought about … how many people were involved and knew this and did nothing, they just haven't lived long enough.

“And what they've done is try to support somebody the university can't support.”

No one knows better than Switzer how difficult it is to be forced out of a job that you love from a program that you built at a university that you champion. But he also knows that there was no other conclusion for Paterno.

Joe had to go.
http://newsok.com/penn-state-tragedy-barry-switzer-says-joe-paterno-had-to-go/article/3621872?custom_click=pod_headline_ou-sports
Never did I think I would see the day.

if mcqueary or paterno picks up the phone and calls the cops then more little boys dont get raped and have their lifes ruinedits called being moral and caring more about childrens lifes then a football program or bad press or just not letting something bad come out about another coach or whatever caused them to not act on what they knew aboutgo ahead and stand up for that -- the more you say the worse you look and hey its your soul so beat it all to hell if makes yyou feel better but the grown ups all know damned well that when you have the chance to stop a pedo and you dont and more kids get raped its a black mark on your soul forever and no #######ed number of wins or bowl appearances matter for jack crap when you have to face your judge
Why are you angry with me?PATERNO DIN"T WALK AWAY FROM A RAPE...McQUEARY DID! If someone told me my brother raped someone...what am I supposed to do? Call the cops, or tell the person telling me to take it to the cops? If someone told me that about a guy I considered a brother...I would stop them, I would tell them to tell our boss and the cops. And I would step way the heck out of it, because it's my brother.If an investigation later said my brother was innocent, I would accept and believe that result. I would assume the guy who tried to tell me about my brother's sins to be mistaken somehow.Sandusky was Paterno's brother. Paterno told him to take it to thier boss. Unless he later became actively involved in a cover-up, that's about all we should reasonably expect. It's an imperfect answer, and depending on exactly what Paterno knew, perhaps a wrong answer, but it's certainly not an answer he should hang for...because it's the answer 99% of us would have for our brother. Paterno should have perhaps lost his job, but he doesn't deserve our hate. He might well deserve a shoulder and our pity.Sandusky, McQueary, the AD, and anyone actively involved in a cover up deserve our hate. If it comes out that Paterno WAS actively involved in said cover-up, than we can attack him.

I don't understand all the hate at this point? Joe Paterno is no longer the HC. Sandusky is going to jail. The people who have been abused will hopefully get the help they need. Is that not enough? Would be nice if we could turn back the hands of time to before Sandusky hurt these people, but it sounds like anything less than blood from Joe Paterno and the death penalty for Sandusky, and the Penn State football program would be inadequate.

I don't understand all the hate at this point? Joe Paterno is no longer the HC. Sandusky is going to jail. The people who have been abused will hopefully get the help they need. Is that not enough? Would be nice if we could turn back the hands of time to before Sandusky hurt these people, but it sounds like anything less than blood from Joe Paterno and the death penalty for Sandusky, and the Penn State football program would be inadequate.
speaking for myself, I'm mostly interested in finding out exactly how this was allowed to happen over such a long period of time.

This was OUTSIDE the program...it had ZERO to do with the team.
this is simply not accurate at all.
It's 100% accurate unless you take the stance that Paterno really IS the alpha and omega of the football program. Sorry...I don't buy that stance. Recruiting and actual coaching were unaffected. Sandusky used facilities, but he didn't report to Joe Paterno...he wasn't even a coach anymore!If a coach gets caught drunk driving...is that on the coach or the program? If a coach murders his wife...is that on the program? This incident has nothing to do with the coach or the team, and everything to do with the individuals named. Do you expect NCAA sanctions? I wouldn't,because it had nothing to do with the on field athletic product. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ATHLETICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing.....campus police are real cops, at least on a major campus like that. Reporting an incident to campus police isshould be every bit equivalent to calling city police.
if a former coach USES the athletic facilities and his connection with the program to commit his crimes while the people running the program and the school look the other way, it has a hell of a lot more than zero to do with the team.
Agreed. Renesauz is way off base with this.
???????? Did they "look the other way?" Someone did certainly. but was it Paterno if he passed along the info? There's an assumption here that PAterno was actively involved in a cover-up, and the known facts simply don't support that assumption. If a DA was involved in 2002, than what else would you really expect. Something stinks...someone covered up something...but this really was outside PAterno's direct area of responsibility, and it's a stretch to assume he would be complicit in said cover-up.Look, I'm just as pissed off and disgusted as you are...but firmly believe that most of y'all are directly that justifiable anger at the wrong people (based on what we know right now).
When you say "was outside PAterno's direct area of responsibility" you narrow his responsibility down to what he's legally obligated to do. That's fine. If that's how you feel ok.

Don't tell us what a great leader he is then. Great leaders dont shirk their responsibilities beyond what the penal code demands of them.

Sandusky was Paterno's brother. Paterno told him to take it to thier boss.
Paterno did not take the matter to his "boss," whoever that would be. He took it to his AD, who in practice is a subordinate. And then he continued to let Sandusky have free reign in the football facilities that he controlled.

very few people are arguing for NCAA sanctions against the football program. I think that's a stretch. If anything, the University could impose some type of penalty on themselves as they might do in a situation where hazing got out of control or something.But, the players weren't the perps here and the coaches really weren't either. I agree this is primarily an administration problem, but it's ridiculous to argue that it has zero connection to the football program.
Fair enough. I'll admit "zero connection" is probably an incorrect statement.

I just want to see enough of a penalty to send the message that this will not be tolerated. Too many people look the other way with crimes like this. That has to stop. Death penalty for the program for at least a couple of years would be a start.Death penalty for Sandusky? Nah, I'd rather see him suffer in jail a good long time.

And I think that all of the enablers need to do jail time. Not the rest of their lives, but it can't be a slap on the wrist. These were horrendous crimes.

When you say "was outside PAterno's direct area of responsibility" you narrow his responsibility down to what he's legally obligated to do. That's fine. If that's how you feel ok.Don't tell us what a great leader he is then. Great leaders dont shirk their responsibilities beyond what the penal code demands of them.
I agree! But I'd rather be pissed at the guy who witnessed this horror first hand and didnt try to stop it. Paterno is getting 90% of the anger right now, and he shouldn't be even in the top 5.

Would a better solution for the BOT have been to accept Joepa's retirement and place him on administrative leave/suspension (along with McQ) effective immediately pending the outcome of the investigation? Basically gets them the same outcome while providing some innocence until proven guilty for those in question.

In 04, with PSU struggling, Spanier, Scultz and Curley went to Paterno's home and asked him to resign. He refused. Nothing further happened. That's pretty ####### Alpha and Omega. Hell, let's throw a Theta, an Epsilon and an Omnicron in there also

I just want to see enough of a penalty to send the message that this will not be tolerated. Too many people look the other way with crimes like this. That has to stop. Death penalty for the program for at least a couple of years would be a start.
Why stop at the football team? The AD and President were involved. Why not all athletics? Why not the entire school?

When you say "was outside PAterno's direct area of responsibility" you narrow his responsibility down to what he's legally obligated to do. That's fine. If that's how you feel ok.Don't tell us what a great leader he is then. Great leaders dont shirk their responsibilities beyond what the penal code demands of them.
I agree! But I'd rather be pissed at the guy who witnessed this horror first hand and didnt try to stop it. Paterno is getting 90% of the anger right now, and he shouldn't be even in the top 5.
He's #3 in my book.1) Sandusky - the perp2) McQueary - the witness3) Paterno - the most powerful guy at PSU

See crosseyed's post above. You know, the guy making jokes about sexual abuse of children.

:lmao:

This is exactly it and is being ignored. Figures.

I just want to see enough of a penalty to send the message that this will not be tolerated. Too many people look the other way with crimes like this. That has to stop. Death penalty for the program for at least a couple of years would be a start.
Why stop at the football team? The AD and President were involved. Why not all athletics? Why not the entire school?
Given that Big Ben is a PA resident, seems like the entire state is fostering/harboring this type of behavior. I think we should pull all federal funding for two years.

He's #3 in my book.1) Sandusky - the perp2) McQueary - the witness3) Paterno - the most powerful guy at PSU
Curley is much more culpable than 2 and 3, IMO.He went to Second Mile and told them that there was nothing to the report despite never conducting any type of investigation. Heck, he waited 10 days to get more details from McQueary after he heard about it. Sounds like he never took the report seriously at all and actively tried to cover it up.

I just want to see enough of a penalty to send the message that this will not be tolerated. Too many people look the other way with crimes like this. That has to stop. Death penalty for the program for at least a couple of years would be a start.Death penalty for Sandusky? Nah, I'd rather see him suffer in jail a good long time.

And I think that all of the enablers need to do jail time. Not the rest of their lives, but it can't be a slap on the wrist. These were horrendous crimes.
Penn st needs a thorough house cleaning and it looks like they've started that. I dont see how you give the people left to pick up the pieces the death penalty NCAA wise. Punish those that were culpable and go from there. Man you're talking about punishing those who had no connection or knowledge of the crime. Over reaction.

Hate the perpetrators, help the survivors.

This sums it up succinctly and 100% accurately.

Curley is much more culpable than 2 and 3, IMO.He went to Second Mile and told them that there was nothing to the report despite never conducting any type of investigation. Heck, he waited 10 days to get more details from McQueary after he heard about it. Sounds like he never took the report seriously at all and actively tried to cover it up.
OK, I might not argue with that.

Joe Paterno is now an official POS.

What happened to the big talking joe that wanted a presser 2 days ago? he was going off campus to give one. Now he has lawyered up and we will never get to question him. Eff him, he should be in jail

McQueary's future at Penn State unclear after private trustee meeting

Thursday, November 10, 2011

By Michael Sanserino, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The future of assistant football coach Mike McQueary is in doubt after a closed-door trustees meeting this afternoon.

Acting university president Rod Erickson this evening told reporters to "stay tuned" when asked why Mr. McQueary, who reportedly witnessed the rape of a child by a former football coach, was still employed.

Mr. Erickson indicated the university could take action on Mr. McQueary late tonight or tomorrow morning. When asked if Mr. McQueary was still employed as of Thursday evening, Mr. Erickson replied "as I said, you'll hear more."

Though he had not been charged with a crime, Mr. McQueary emerged as the biggest target for public criticism of the sex-abuse scandal that has rocked the university following the firing football coach Joe Paterno.

According to grand jury documents, Mr. McQueary was the only person to witness former coach Jerry Sandusky sexually assault a boy in the showers in 2002. And he is the lowest-ranking of all Penn State officials named in the court documents, making his job more expendable than those who have already parted with the university.

The fate of former athletic director Tim Curley, who is on a paid leave of absence as he defends himself against charges of perjury and failure to report a crime, was not discussed, Mr. Erickson said.

Interim athletic director Mark Sherburne was at the trustees meeting, and though interim football coach Tom Bradley said Mr. McQueary's fate remained in his hands, Mr. Sherburne declined comment.

"I'm not able to comment on that right now," he said.

When asked who could comment on Mr. McQueary's future, Mr. Sherburne responded "I'm not sure of that right now."

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/11314/1189042-100.stm#ixzz1dMKpIU00

Its going to take years to navigate through this mess now that everyone has gotten a lawyer.

I would be truly embarrassed if I was an alum from PSU right now.

In 04, with PSU struggling, Spanier, Scultz and Curley went to Paterno's home and asked him to resign. He refused. Nothing further happened. That's pretty ####### Alpha and Omega. Hell, let's throw a Theta, an Epsilon and an Omnicron in there also
Maybe Paterno threatened to expose the cover up if they fired him?

Would a better solution for the BOT have been to accept Joepa's retirement and place him on administrative leave/suspension (along with McQ) effective immediately pending the outcome of the investigation? Basically gets them the same outcome while providing some innocence until proven guilty for those in question.
I think it was wise to begin distancing themselves from Paterno now. I think they already know a good deal of what Paterno knew.

Penn st needs a thorough house cleaning and it looks like they've started that. I dont see how you give the people left to pick up the pieces the death penalty NCAA wise. Punish those that were culpable and go from there. Man you're talking about punishing those who had no connection or knowledge of the crime. Over reaction.

Hate the perpetrators, help the survivors.
You have to punished so severely that anytime anything like "this" happened the first phone call is too the police.

He's getting 90% of the anger because he's Joe ####### Paterno.

Penn st needs a thorough house cleaning and it looks like they've started that. I dont see how you give the people left to pick up the pieces the death penalty NCAA wise. Punish those that were culpable and go from there. Man you're talking about punishing those who had no connection or knowledge of the crime. Over reaction.Hate the perpetrators, help the survivors.
You have to punished so severely that anytime anything like "this" happened the first phone call is too the police.
That's what's happening. I don't think anybody would want to be in Joe Paterno's shoes right now. Punishing his successors is overkill IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread