What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Father's America ebook series (1 Viewer)

Still a bunch of people that haven't downloaded yet. If there's a problem with the site, please let me know.

I'll keep the code active for a little while longer.

Thx!

Not sure how I missed this, bit if there are any codes left I would enjoy one.
Sure!...code sent.I'll send out a few more codes as long as people promise to read and review. I'll make it a first come, first serve since I eventually have to lock this specific code.

I just read the first 30 pages of the sample at Smashwords and all I can say is "Wow!" Your father had a terrific talent for writing, made all the more remarkable by the fact that he spoke (and, presumably, wrote) no English when he arrived in the US. The writing is both fluent and fluid, reading more like popular fiction than the geology/paleontology/anthropology/history encompassed in just the small portion of the sample I read. It is also immediately evident that he had a passion for his subject and the depth and breadth of knowledge that came from the kind of study such love engenders. Combined, his writing style and knowledge will make this series a pleasure to read. This book has jumped to the head of my TBR list. I hope we will see more in the very near future.

I really enjoyed this book from start to finish. It was very detailed and I learned things about the first people in America that I never learned in school. Also the details of the Spanish explorers lives was very entertaining. It kept me engrossed throughout, I highly recommend it.

As other reviewers have indicated, the depth of the information presented is stunning. From prehistoric times through the Conquistadors, the author delves into the history behind the history that most teachers barely mention. Remarkably, he does it while still maintaining an interesting and entertaining style. Unfortunately, this volume ends just as North America begins to attract settlers, meaning I need to wait for future volumes to learn similar backstory facts about the colonies that became the United States.
:thumbup:

Sure!...code sent.I'll send out a few more codes as long as people promise to read and review. I'll make it a first come, first serve since I eventually have to lock this specific code.
Too late to jump on this? I'm out of work til Xmas with shoulder surgery so I have the time. If it's as good as these guys' reviews...

Too late to jump on this? I'm out of work til Xmas with shoulder surgery so I have the time. If it's as good as these guys' reviews...
The coupon expired and I don't think I'll be setting another one up for this book. I'm finishing up Volume Two: The Colonies and will do the free download things for that if you're interested. Probably in another week or two. Volume Three will be on the American Revolution. Hopefully get that out by the end of the year.

In memory of what would have been my dad's 70th birthday, My Father's America - Volume One - The New World will be on sale for $1.99 on Monday, October 24th on Amazon.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon is kinda weird with how long it takes settings to show up on their site. I put in the new price and it said it would take 24 hours but it was up only an hour later.

So...save 75% now and get the book for only $1.99

early bird special. :D
How close are the rest of the volumes to being ready?
I finished editing Volume Two - The Colonies this weekend and sent out the cover concept and files to the woman doing my covers today. Looking to put it up by Wednesday. This one took three months but I hope to have each new volume out every other month. Volume Three is all American Revolution.

In memory of what would have been my dad's 70th birthday, My Father's America - Volume One - The New World will be on sale for $1.99 on Monday, October 24th on Amazon.com
Nice sales today. Jumped in rankings in a few categories. Hopefully it gets more exposure because of it.Thanks to those who bought. :thumbup:

Nice sales today. Jumped in rankings in a few categories. Hopefully it gets more exposure because of it.Thanks to those who bought. :thumbup:
Looks interesting and I will download tonight and give it a read.

Looks interesting and I will download tonight and give it a read.
:thumbup:

Volume Two is edited and formatted. Just have to put together the tags and write the description. I had hoped to put it out today, even just for my own satisfaction. It was 10 years ago today he died and it would have been nice if I got it done. Oh well.

How do you like the cover?

This one was a tougher read for me. I'm actually not that big of an American History guy. I like Ancient Egypt, Rome, biblical and prehistoric history. Volume One had a lot of that to it in how the world evolution led to the discovery of the New World. This one is heavy duty. It's actually hard for me to recommend it to anyone who isn't REALLY into the colonies. I recommended Volume One to anyone I could because it had so many different aspects to it. This one is topic specific. I'm really looking forward to reading reviews from avid colonial enthusists.

Here's a snip from the beginning of the Prologue:

England was ready. Of all the nations in Europe, 17th-century England was most peculiarly suited to succeed in peopling the North American continent.

This was a strange turn of events. England had been the very last of the Western powers to show any kind of interest in the world beyond Europe. Three hundred years before any Englishman ever set out from the British islands in feeble beginnings of such explorations, Portuguese mariners had already sailed around the tip of Africa in search of a new way to the Indies. Before any English ship ever appeared in the Atlantic, Spain already held most of the West Indies in virtual captivity and had subdued rich native empires on the mainland. It was an Italian who had opened this immense territory for Spain, and when Henry VII of England finally made a half-hearted attempt at some part of this New World, it was another Italian, John Cabot, who led the way. Even France, against all odds, had made at least a few stabs at Canada. And before any Englishman ever found his way to the Indian Ocean, ambitious Dutch seamen had already sailed from their tiny homeland, visited a hundred Indian ports, established trading posts there and laid the foundations of a commercial empire.

Yet once they got started, the English were destined to succeed in the most spectacular way.

Volume Two is edited and formatted. Just have to put together the tags and write the description. I had hoped to put it out today, even just for my own satisfaction. It was 10 years ago today he died and it would have been nice if I got it done. Oh well.

This one was a tougher read for me. I'm actually not that big of an American History guy. I like Ancient Egypt, Rome, biblical and prehistoric history. Volume One had a lot of that to it in how the world evolution led to the discovery of the New World. This one is heavy duty. It's actually hard for me to recommend it to anyone who isn't REALLY into the colonies. I recommended Volume One to anyone I could because it had so many different aspects to it. This one is topic specific. I'm really looking forward to reading reviews from avid colonial enthusists.

England was ready. Of all the nations in Europe, 17th-century England was most peculiarly suited to succeed in peopling the North American continent.

This was a strange turn of events. England had been the very last of the Western powers to show any kind of interest in the world beyond Europe. Three hundred years before any Englishman ever set out from the British islands in feeble beginnings of such explorations, Portuguese mariners had already sailed around the tip of Africa in search of a new way to the Indies. Before any English ship ever appeared in the Atlantic, Spain already held most of the West Indies in virtual captivity and had subdued rich native empires on the mainland. It was an Italian who had opened this immense territory for Spain, and when Henry VII of England finally made a half-hearted attempt at some part of this New World, it was another Italian, John Cabot, who led the way. Even France, against all odds, had made at least a few stabs at Canada. And before any Englishman ever found his way to the Indian Ocean, ambitious Dutch seamen had already sailed from their tiny homeland, visited a hundred Indian ports, established trading posts there and laid the foundations of a commercial empire.

Yet once they got started, the English were destined to succeed in the most spectacular way.
Looking forward to this book! :thumbup: I enjoyed the first volume and America's colonial history is one of my favorite historical time periods :nerd:

Really like the cover on this one :thumbup:

Really like the cover on this one :thumbup:
Thanks!

Looking forward to this book! :thumbup: I enjoyed the first volume and America's colonial history is one of my favorite historical time periods :nerd:
Thanks! :thumbup: My Father's America - Volume Two - The Colonies is out now.

smashwords.com for other formats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought it was free. :kicksrock:
Changed the thread title. I did it for the first book but didn't get the amount of reviews I had hoped for considering how many coupons I gave out. Sincere thanks to those that did though!I wouldn't mind doing it again for Volume Two but hate having to bug people to post a review.

'Bottomfeeder Sports said:
Awesome...thx! :thumbup: Hope you like it.
The first volume was an enjoyable read. I'm not sure how educational it was as I "plowed through it" rather than allowing "stuff to sink in", but I read the entire thing and the end of volume one sets you up to want to keep going.Oh, and a note to the editor -

What is with the hyphenation on the title page and table of contents?

'Bottomfeeder Sports said:
Awesome...thx! :thumbup: Hope you like it.
The first volume was an enjoyable read. I'm not sure how educational it was as I "plowed through it" rather than allowing "stuff to sink in", but I read the entire thing and the end of volume one sets you up to want to keep going.Oh, and a note to the editor -

What is with the hyphenation on the title page and table of contents?
That would be me. :bag: I guess I concentrated so much on the actual content that I didn't give enough thought to the proper layout of the Table of Contents and Title Page outside of the hyperlinks and format style. I guess it's wrong. Thanks for the tip! I'll update them and make sure to do it correctly in future volumes.

Looks very interesting...I don't have a Kindle (Nook Color), so I wouldn't be able to buy it from Amazon - what is the price of the Smashwords version? Same as on Amazon?

Almost done with the current series I am reading, so definitely a possibility of picking this up next.

Looks very interesting...I don't have a Kindle (Nook Color), so I wouldn't be able to buy it from Amazon - what is the price of the Smashwords version? Same as on Amazon?

Almost done with the current series I am reading, so definitely a possibility of picking this up next.
Volume One is available at the Barnes and Noble website.I'm waiting for distribution approval for Volume Two at smashwords, but they're both available there now in any format Scroll to the bottom of each book for the various formats.

About half way done with the first book and I am enjoying it. Actually looking forward to the next book more as pre-colonial history is not the most interesting to.

About half way done with the first book and I am enjoying it. Actually looking forward to the next book more as pre-colonial history is not the most interesting to.
Thanks! :thumbup: I actually liked Volume One more because of the broad scope of it and how he brought it together. I could have done with a little less of the descriptions of the various native american tribes and more of the Conquistadors, which I knew very little of before reading it.

Volume Two, and the rest of the series, focus on shorter time frames and specific periods. I'm not a big colonial history fan. I'm looking forward to reading more about the western expansion, industrial revolution and the Civil War.

Thought it was free. :kicksrock:
Changed the thread title. I did it for the first book but didn't get the amount of reviews I had hoped for considering how many coupons I gave out. Sincere thanks to those that did though!I wouldn't mind doing it again for Volume Two but hate having to bug people to post a review.
:kicksrock: Slackers
Still holding out hope that they'll get around to reading/reviewing. :popcorn:

Should finish volume 2 this weekend. Been trying to pace myself to not get done too soon. Is volume 3 still expected sometime in January?
Just an awesome post to read. :thumbup: There's no way I'm going to get Volume Three out by the end of January. I'd say middle of March at best. It's all on the American Revolution.How about some reviews?

Should finish volume 2 this weekend. Been trying to pace myself to not get done too soon. Is volume 3 still expected sometime in January?
Just an awesome post to read. :thumbup: There's no way I'm going to get Volume Three out by the end of January. I'd say middle of March at best. It's all on the American Revolution.How about some reviews?
I wish I could say I meant the post to be meaningful to you (and I guess at this time of year your family), but I cannot take such credit. The review of the second volume is largely the same as the first. I'm not really sure I'm being educated but I'm being entertained by the material such that I want to keep going. Interested to see where your father takes the revolution, especially the beginning. Just finished the religious and educational sections and entering the healthcare section. Kind of like a typical front page of the FFA. Guess I'll need to see if Jayrok's reading list posts have been prune while waiting. Merry Christmas!(I know you meant to place the review on Amazon - maybe when I'm done. As wordy as I am in the abstract, I tend to be at a lost of words for stuff like this.)

I wish I could say I meant the post to be meaningful to you (and I guess at this time of year your family), but I cannot take such credit. The review of the second volume is largely the same as the first. I'm not really sure I'm being educated but I'm being entertained by the material such that I want to keep going. Interested to see where your father takes the revolution, especially the beginning. Just finished the religious and educational sections and entering the healthcare section. Kind of like a typical front page of the FFA. Guess I'll need to see if Jayrok's reading list posts have been prune while waiting. Merry Christmas!(I know you meant to place the review on Amazon - maybe when I'm done. As wordy as I am in the abstract, I tend to be at a lost of words for stuff like this.)
I just appreciate anyone that's reading it. No need to write a review, just commenting here is encouraging to me. Thanks and Merry Christmas to you to!As an aside, I decided to look into reddit as another way to promote the book. I do regular postings on the blog excerpts on facebook and twitter but only just looked into reddit. In one day the hits on the blog have more than tripled my highest previous mark. Blown away and highly recommend it to anyone looking into the type of promotion that the site provides.

I just bought both volumes. You sent me a free coupon awhile ago and I forgot about it, but after reading more about the books (and your family) I decided to spend the money for both.

Plan to start vol 1 after I finish Clancy's new book.

I will post reviews on amazon when done.

later

'Lord of the flies said:
I just bought both volumes. You sent me a free coupon awhile ago and I forgot about it, but after reading more about the books (and your family) I decided to spend the money for both. Plan to start vol 1 after I finish Clancy's new book.I will post reviews on amazon when done.later
Nice...thx! :thumbup: I look forward to hearing what you thought about them.Another plug for reddit. The blog would average about 10-12 unique vistors a day with the most being in the low 20's. Most of the traffic came from searches. After putting up some blog posts on reddit today for the first time, I've had over 80 unique visitors. Pretty impressive. Anyone else use reddit? I'll definitely have to look more into it if this is the result after just one day.

Just ordered Volume Two from Amazon. Really enjoyed Volume One and am looking forward to the Colonies. I will be certain to post a review also!

Just ordered Volume Two from Amazon. Really enjoyed Volume One and am looking forward to the Colonies. I will be certain to post a review also!
Thank you! :thumbup: Really looking forward to hearing comparisons between the two. As I've said, I loved Volume One because it touched on things I'm really interested in. I learned a lot more with Volume Two since it's not something I'm as familiar with but I didn't like it as much as the first. Volume Three, focusing on the Revolution, kind of falls between the two and strikes a good balance for me.

Thanks! :thumbup: I actually liked Volume One more because of the broad scope of it and how he brought it together. I could have done with a little less of the descriptions of the various native american tribes and more of the Conquistadors, which I knew very little of before reading it.

Volume Two, and the rest of the series, focus on shorter time frames and specific periods. I'm not a big colonial history fan. I'm looking forward to reading more about the western expansion, industrial revolution and the Civil War.
Got around to finishing volume 2 and enjoyed it as well. Your father really covers an amazing amount of information in these books.I assume the third books focus is leading up to and then covering the revolutionary war. Should be interesting as it is getting into topics I am much more familar with.

Got around to finishing volume 2 and enjoyed it as well. Your father really covers an amazing amount of information in these books.I assume the third books focus is leading up to and then covering the revolutionary war. Should be interesting as it is getting into topics I am much more familar with.
Thanks! :thumbup: I have about 100 pages to edit in the thrid volume. Yes, it's pretty much focused on the Revolution. I'm also reading ahead a bit on Volume 4 which so far discusses the Constitutional Convention and all the differing opinions on the creation of the Constitution.I'm guessing another week or two for Volume Three. I'm planning a little more promotion in some places and think I might put it out for free for the first week. I'll definitely post it here when it's out.

I'm about halfway through Volume 2--just like Volume 1, I'm amazed at thge depth of the details.
It's really impressive to me but also is kinda bumming me out at times. I find myself being so much like him in some of the things I do. Like with my voiceover work, I tend to put myself in my own little world without sharing it enough with people in my life. It's tough for me to break out of that shell and it makes me feel like my dad was the same way, without my knowing it. Even my mom says, "it was just his thing" He would spend endless time researching and writing and I have no idea what his goal was with these. They moved when I was 18 so we never had that close of a relationship after that. We would talk on the phone and we'd visit every year or so, but it never got to any heartfelt conversations, it was all just surface stuff. My mom came up for Thanksgiving week and I really tried to get to know her more, find out about her/their early life.Don't miss the opportunity people. Life is too short.

Thanks! :thumbup: I have about 100 pages to edit in the thrid volume. Yes, it's pretty much focused on the Revolution. I'm also reading ahead a bit on Volume 4 which so far discusses the Constitutional Convention and all the differing opinions on the creation of the Constitution.I'm guessing another week or two for Volume Three. I'm planning a little more promotion in some places and think I might put it out for free for the first week. I'll definitely post it here when it's out.
I will keep my eye out for it. Also, I am very willing to pay for the next book (as I did for the last two) since it really isn't very much for the quality of the materials. Also figure if I am paying you the few bucks there is a better chance you turn all of them into ebooks I can read.

I will keep my eye out for it. Also, I am very willing to pay for the next book (as I did for the last two) since it really isn't very much for the quality of the materials. Also figure if I am paying you the few bucks there is a better chance you turn all of them into ebooks I can read.
I appreciate that. Have one on me this time. :thumbup: I don't expect to stop until they're all out. I'm putting together a promotional plan and there are a lot of avenues to help if it's a free book, even for a limited time. I'll see how it goes. Hopefully it creates a little more word of mouth for the rest of the books.

Users who are viewing this thread