What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Closers 2012 (1 Viewer)

Is Holland or Crow next in line in KC? Have an open roster spot and am adding one of them to speculate a Broxton trade and get the K numbers in the interim, ideally when Santos comes back I'll pick up the other and drop Janssen too. Just trying to figure out the best course to get both.
I always assumed it was Crow, but I don't have any information to back that up.

How safe is Betancourt in Colorado? Thinking of dumping Rex Brothers and his sweet >6 ERA and >2 WHIP.

Is Holland or Crow next in line in KC? Have an open roster spot and am adding one of them to speculate a Broxton trade and get the K numbers in the interim, ideally when Santos comes back I'll pick up the other and drop Janssen too. Just trying to figure out the best course to get both.
I'd be careful about dropping Janssen too quickly.

I'd be careful about dropping Janssen too quickly.
About 20 mins ahead of you. Decided to add both Royals (only starting Crow for now), dump Floyd and Venable (platoon bat when he gets righties and a starter has the day off). I have a trade going through Sunday that's freeing a roster spot, I'll waiver claim Floyd back on Monday. Going to deal with a roster headache in the interim. Brantley doesn't play/sucks vs. lefties so when I see lefties coming up I'll dump him for a streamer then add him back. Hopefully only have to deal with this for a few weeks, waiting on Reimold and have Manny stashed just to see. Longoria later in the month. But I did just trade for Chipper, so I'm just adding to my headache. Fun stuff!

Nobody posted that Chapman has taken over the closer role in Cincy. Didn't pitch tonight cause he went 3 games in a row, but Dusty said he's the guy now. Arguably becomes the most valuable roto closer in the league instantly.

Nobody posted that Chapman has taken over the closer role in Cincy. Didn't pitch tonight cause he went 3 games in a row, but Dusty said he's the guy now. Arguably becomes the most valuable roto closer in the league instantly.
I think that honor belongs to Kanley Jansen.

Also just found out Chapman was arrested earlier today for driving 93 mph on a suspended license. Might have also had something to do with why he didn't pitch.

Will he get enough saves to be considered the most valuable?Don't worry, Dusty will ruin him.

Will he get enough saves to be considered the most valuable?Don't worry, Dusty will ruin him.
I'd say when you factor in the ridiculous K ratio, along with the ERA and WHIP, and now you add on top of that 20+ saves from here on out, he's definitely at the top of my list going forward. Kenley is up there with him, but I prefer AC.And agreed on Dusty. In fact, I'd say even keeping him as a reliever this long and bouncing him back and forth from the spring to the season between the rotation and the pen is already laying the groundwork for his major shoulder surgery in 2013.

Also just found out Chapman was arrested earlier today for driving 93 mph on a suspended license. Might have also had something to do with why he didn't pitch.
He was supposedly "unavailable" for Sunday and then they needed him to close out the series. There is no way he was pitching Monday so he basically had an off day. Doesn't really mean he should be driving 93 at 1 AM, but it makes it more understandable.

And agreed on Dusty. In fact, I'd say even keeping him as a reliever this long and bouncing him back and forth from the spring to the season between the rotation and the pen is already laying the groundwork for his major shoulder surgery in 2013.
You really think Dusty's the one calling the shots here on whether Chapman is in the rotation or in the pen?

And agreed on Dusty. In fact, I'd say even keeping him as a reliever this long and bouncing him back and forth from the spring to the season between the rotation and the pen is already laying the groundwork for his major shoulder surgery in 2013.
You really think Dusty's the one calling the shots here on whether Chapman is in the rotation or in the pen?
Don't see why not. I know some of it was somewhat borne out of necessity with all the injuries to the pen, but even when he was dominating as a starter in the spring it always seemed like every quote I read from Dusty led you to believe he wanted him nowhere BUT the pen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just added Clippard. Is he now the closer? Could be a stud
Possible but unlikely. All three of the other guys I think are options (Stammen, Burnett, maybe Rodrigeuz) pitched last night. Stammen went two innings and HRod had a complete meltdown, so they weren't really options. Burnett could have gone I guess but Clippard was rested and they didn't need him in the 7th or 8th.I think they'll go with a committee at least until Lidge is back and maybe until Storen is back. They like to be able to use Clippard in high leverage situations. Although apparently Clippard has complained to the front office that he'd like to get some save chances, so they might just decide to throw him a bone for the next month or so.

All these blown saves are just killing me in the traditionally tight wins category in 5X5. Lost another one today when Perlata blew it for Shields, dammit.

Frieri Ks 3, walks one while closing out the A's.

Not overpowering stuff, but nice late movement. Everything he throws just seems to jump as it gets to the plate.

'TobiasFunke said:
They like to be able to use Clippard in high leverage situations. Although apparently Clippard has complained to the front office that he'd like to get some save chances, so they might just decide to throw him a bone for the next month or so.
That's the tough thing about using your RP in the highest leverage situations. A pitcher might be more valuable in the 7th or 8th, and you can tell him that a million times, but he'll still want to be a closer. Closers get the spotlight, the fame, usually more money, etc. Clippard sees the Nationals holding him back even though they're just trying to use him more effectively.

Frieri Ks 3, walks one while closing out the A's. Not overpowering stuff, but nice late movement. Everything he throws just seems to jump as it gets to the plate.
I wonder how significant it is, since the game was in extras. I definitely like his numbers, but I own Downs and hope he still vultures one here and there.

Frieri Ks 3, walks one while closing out the A's. Not overpowering stuff, but nice late movement. Everything he throws just seems to jump as it gets to the plate.
I wonder how significant it is, since the game was in extras. I definitely like his numbers, but I own Downs and hope he still vultures one here and there.
Hard to read. Downs used in the 9th, on the road in a tie game. Usually save your closer for the save later. But the matchups were all LH

Hard to read. Downs used in the 9th, on the road in a tie game. Usually save your closer for the save later. But the matchups were all LH
I own Downs and just dropped Minor for Frieri. 76 Ks in 63 IP last season, 34 in 19 IP this season...I really hope he runs away with the job, and if not, maybe he's this year's Venters. Scoscia will probably continue giving the opportunities based on lefty/righty matchups though...

League is the suck but they don't really have great options beyond him.
After losing a ninth-inning lead and the game to the Los Angeles Angels last night, manager Eric Wedge decided this morning the Seattle Mariners would ‘pull back’ closer Brandon League and attempt to finish games off with other pitchers.

Who specifically? “We’ll match up with what we think works,” Wedge said. “We’ve only got seven guys in the bullpen, and Hisashi Iwakuma is the long guy and League will work in other roles for now. Other than them, it could be anyone, depending upon the situation.”

No reliever on the staff has a save this season other than League, who had nine if 13 opportunities. The obvious candidates are setup men like Tom Wilhelmsen and lefties Charlie Furbush and Lucas Luetge, but right-handers Shawn Kelley and Steve Delabar might also find themselves working in the ninth inning.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/mariners/2012/05/26/for-now-league-out-as-mariners-closer/#storylink=cpy
The proverbial poo poo platter

I just added Clippard. Is he now the closer? Could be a stud
Possible but unlikely. All three of the other guys I think are options (Stammen, Burnett, maybe Rodrigeuz) pitched last night. Stammen went two innings and HRod had a complete meltdown, so they weren't really options. Burnett could have gone I guess but Clippard was rested and they didn't need him in the 7th or 8th.I think they'll go with a committee at least until Lidge is back and maybe until Storen is back. They like to be able to use Clippard in high leverage situations. Although apparently Clippard has complained to the front office that he'd like to get some save chances, so they might just decide to throw him a bone for the next month or so.
3 saves in the last 4 games :thumbup:

'ditkaburgers said:
'Doctor Detroit said:
After losing a ninth-inning lead and the game to the Los Angeles Angels last night, manager Eric Wedge decided this morning the Seattle Mariners would ‘pull back’ closer Brandon League and attempt to finish games off with other pitchers.

Who specifically? “We’ll match up with what we think works,” Wedge said. “We’ve only got seven guys in the bullpen, and Hisashi Iwakuma is the long guy and League will work in other roles for now. Other than them, it could be anyone, depending upon the situation.”

No reliever on the staff has a save this season other than League, who had nine if 13 opportunities. The obvious candidates are setup men like Tom Wilhelmsen and lefties Charlie Furbush and Lucas Luetge, but right-handers Shawn Kelley and Steve Delabar might also find themselves working in the ninth inning.

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/mariners/2012/05/26/for-now-league-out-as-mariners-closer/#storylink=cpy
So about a week without League, and then we see if he can recover.

'ditkaburgers said:
'Doctor Detroit said:

Even then, his upside is Brandon League

'ditkaburgers said:
'Doctor Detroit said:

I was adamant that he couldn't succeed last year despite owning him. Ended up dropping him in a fit of rage on May 13th after he blew his 3rd save in 4 daysAfter that he went 1-1 and was 28-30 in save ops. Had a 1.19 ERA and a WHIP under 1.00 and was a top 5 closer in my league.

Good luck to any of you trying to make sense of the LAA situation. Looks like its going to be a crap shoot, depending on the matchups, for a while.

'ditkaburgers said:
'Doctor Detroit said:

I was adamant that he couldn't succeed last year despite owning him. Ended up dropping him in a fit of rage on May 13th after he blew his 3rd save in 4 daysAfter that he went 1-1 and was 28-30 in save ops. Had a 1.19 ERA and a WHIP under 1.00 and was a top 5 closer in my league.
Yeah he was terrific last year after his crap streak which happened about the same time of year. Actually think his stuff looks better this year than last, his two-seamer is pretty nice and his change-up is lethal if his four-seamer is getting above 95..which it has. He's been plagued by some bad luck this year, last night he screwed himself with that error. For League walks are the issue, if he doesn't walk people he has good closer stuff and should be successful. He'll get several more chances this year and beyond.

Pretty much expected but I'll post this anyway:

Rafael Soriano will keep closer job even after Robertson returnsBy Jon Heyman | Baseball InsiderThe Yankees intend to keep Rafael Soriano as the closer even after David Robertson's return from the disabled list, people familiar with their thinking suggest.Soriano has been brilliant as the Yankees' third choice to close and is six for six in saves with an overall ERA of 1.96 now. Robertson, the Yankees' shutdown set-up man, would resume his set-up duties upon his return, which is expected to be in about two weeks. Robertson has a strained left oblique muscle.Robertson has been brilliant for the Yankees as their eighth-inning guy, but one scout said, "He didn't look quite as comfortable closing games.'' Robertson was the initial closing choice after Mariano Rivera was lost with a freak knee injury.The Yankees also hope to have David Aardsma ready to go to bolster their relief corps by late July.Nobody said replacing Mariano Rivera was going to be easy. But Robertson is still seen as the Yankees' closer of the future.

marmol has 4 walks in his last 4.1 innings since coming back, opposed to the 16 or so in 11ish innings before hitting the DL.

i think there's a chance he gets the job back soon.

Should saves-chasers like me drop Fuentes for Ryan Cook now?
Tough call, you would think they would give Fuentes every chance they can to increase his trade value. I think cook eventually gets the job and runs away with it
From CBS
A's manager Bob Melvin said on Saturday that reliever Brian Fuentes would be not be the only one used in save situations anymore reports the San Francisco Chronicle. Melvin added that he will now employ a closer-by-committee approach with Fuentes, Grant Balfour and Ryan Cook moving forward. (Updated 06/09/12)

I'm curious about Kyle Farnsworth. I saw he's starting a rehab assignment and might get brought back up soon. Is he worth an add? I might have the room on my bench. Could it pay off?

'Mr. Peterson said:
I'm curious about Kyle Farnsworth. I saw he's starting a rehab assignment and might get brought back up soon. Is he worth an add? I might have the room on my bench. Could it pay off?
i dont see rodney giving up the role, as he's been dominant

Users who are viewing this thread