What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marshawn Lynch arrested (1 Viewer)

i was actually thinking about taking skittle eater early. not now though. not unless they come and say no suspension this season

These guys are just like any other people, when they have too much free time they find their way into trouble. Some people need structure to protect them from themselves. I still can't understand why these guys ever drive drunk or after having drank. Silly with all the resources they have.

3 game suspension is my guess. This likely isn't as bad as gun posession and marijuana charges in the eyes of the commish.On another note, HOW FREAKIN STUPID are these guys? How many have to be busted for the same exact thing before they realize that for $20, they can get a ride home and not risk MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for being pulled over? Hell, hire a limo driver to wheel you around every single day for the rest of your life and you won't pay as much money.
The Jets did this when they did the hard knocks thing, hired a dedicated on call driver that would come pick up any Jets player and take them wherever they wanted to go, and the coaches would never know about it. They still had guys arrested for DUI.

SALT MODE
Dude, I have to say that this awful schtick has already gotten much more tiresome than the stupid Bump Finley crap in the past. Enough already. It's not funny.
The 1st time bump Finley was used it was hilarious, then next 5 billion it lost a little of it's luster.
Well, keep in mind the first 500 times it was posted, it was being said seriously. Later it took on a life of its own.

3 game suspension is my guess. This likely isn't as bad as gun posession and marijuana charges in the eyes of the commish.

On another note, HOW FREAKIN STUPID are these guys? How many have to be busted for the same exact thing before they realize that for $20, they can get a ride home and not risk MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for being pulled over? Hell, hire a limo driver to wheel you around every single day for the rest of your life and you won't pay as much money.
i hope this isn't true. Driving under the influence is such a serious issue and a way to KILL people (self or others). I think this would be taken at least as seriously as the other offenses.

But I think this is a different situation because Lynch has a history of similar trouble and I think those are the kinds of things the Commish looks at very seriously. Do something once, come down to 345 Park avenue and chat about it. Maybe get a slap on the wrist. But tell the commish you learned a lesson and you don't...usually doesn't end well for the offenders.

3 game suspension is my guess. This likely isn't as bad as gun posession and marijuana charges in the eyes of the commish.On another note, HOW FREAKIN STUPID are these guys? How many have to be busted for the same exact thing before they realize that for $20, they can get a ride home and not risk MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for being pulled over? Hell, hire a limo driver to wheel you around every single day for the rest of your life and you won't pay as much money.
What really surprises me are the agents...they tend to be very smart businessmen, and they let their "investments" run around like crazy. If I am representing a guy with a checkered past and he is in the ballpark salary-wise of a guy like Lynch, I am insisting he have an "assistant" (at the agents cost) whose sole job is to keep the player out of trouble. In this economy, you could hire some 30-something for 50-60k, and all he has to do is accompany the player to clubs, parties, errands, etc., and get the guy out of there if trouble starts brewing. It is like insurance, and in many cases will pay off.

3 game suspension is my guess. This likely isn't as bad as gun posession and marijuana charges in the eyes of the commish.

On another note, HOW FREAKIN STUPID are these guys? How many have to be busted for the same exact thing before they realize that for $20, they can get a ride home and not risk MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for being pulled over? Hell, hire a limo driver to wheel you around every single day for the rest of your life and you won't pay as much money.
i hope this isn't true. Driving under the influence is such a serious issue and a way to KILL people (self or others). I think this would be taken at least as seriously as the other offenses.

But I think this is a different situation because Lynch has a history of similar trouble and I think those are the kinds of things the Commish looks at very seriously. Do something once, come down to 345 Park avenue and chat about it. Maybe get a slap on the wrist. But tell the commish you learned a lesson and you don't...usually doesn't end well for the offenders.
I used to staff for a couple of Fortune 100 companies and I can tell you, they don't feel this is the case. In one extreme example, I was able to place a guy who had two DUIs in a 7 year period, but not a guy who had a disturbing the peace 3 years prior (all were misdemeanors).

I'm a Bay Area resident, and I'll add that the I-880 freeway where he was arrested is one of the worst, most accident-prone stretches around here. NOT a good place to be driving drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like Leon Washington will get more action early in the year. Seattle may have a look at someone like Benson or Grant now also.
Robert Turbin.
Hard to say how much time Turbin will get early in the season, the time during which they'd be without Lynch. They will need someone who can pass protect, and from what I've read, Turbin lacks in that department for now. I don't think you can just assume Turbin will get plugged in there Week 1.

Yes it does, but .08 or .09 is very different from .15 for example.

And zipping down the I-880 on Friday night / early Saturday AM impaired is very different than puttering down some little street too. The guy was placing a lot of lives in major danger. Don't discount this just because you're a Seahawks fan.

I don't know if the NFL will view a DUI (which most times falls under the league's substance abuse policy) compared to felony gun possession and a hit and run incident. If this is considered a strike in the league's substance abuse policy, Lynch may not have any other strikes.

I doubt Lynch will get a 6-8 game suspension. I would guess he will get 3-4 games and then have one game reduced on appeal.

And zipping down the I-880 on Friday night / early Saturday AM impaired is very different than puttering down some little street too. The guy was placing a lot of lives in major danger. Don't discount this just because you're a Seahawks fan.
Off your soap box bro. Im talking about how serious the NFL views the offense. In addition to that there are varying degree's of any crime, that is why they don't put you in jail for life or execute someone for a stabbing incident. In addition to that don't preach your morals over the internet. Save yourself some time because nobody cares.Lynch isn't a smart guy. That is pretty clear by this and past issues he has had. Then again I don't expect much in terms of intelligent decision making out of Pro Athletes. If he was at something like a .08 or .09 Im going to view it different then .15, doesn't mean you have to view it that way. But don't preach, its annoying.

Off your soap box bro. Im talking about how serious the NFL views the offense. In addition to that there are varying degree's of any crime, that is why they don't put you in jail for life or execute someone for a stabbing incident. In addition to that don't preach your morals over the internet. Save yourself some time because nobody cares.Lynch isn't a smart guy. That is pretty clear by this and past issues he has had. Then again I don't expect much in terms of intelligent decision making out of Pro Athletes.
What are you talking about? Preaching my morals? Where did you get that from?FACT -- he was driving impaired. FACT -- he was on a freeway, and one of the worst freeways. Google it if you don't believe me. FACT -- that puts lives in danger. How you think bringing up those facts has anything to do with preaching MY morals is beyond me. Give it a rest guy.

Off your soap box bro. Im talking about how serious the NFL views the offense. In addition to that there are varying degree's of any crime, that is why they don't put you in jail for life or execute someone for a stabbing incident. In addition to that don't preach your morals over the internet. Save yourself some time because nobody cares.Lynch isn't a smart guy. That is pretty clear by this and past issues he has had. Then again I don't expect much in terms of intelligent decision making out of Pro Athletes.
What are you talking about? Preaching my morals? Where did you get that from?FACT -- he was driving impaired. FACT -- he was on a freeway, and one of the worst freeways. Google it if you don't believe me. FACT -- that puts lives in danger. How you think bringing up those facts has anything to do with preaching MY morals is beyond me. Give it a rest guy.
FACT -- .08 is less than .15

FACT -- .08 is less than .15
That may mean that Lynch broke a different law, that has nothing to do with morals.Various degrees of a crime usually deal with the state of mind of the person who committed the crime at the time of the crime, or sometimes if the crime was premeditated. Degrees of the crime may be a result of the legal jurisdiction the crime was committed in, not sure where the morals part comes from?

someone needs to start a Limo service that targets NFL players.
As stated earlier in the thread, every NFL player has access to a free car service to prevent this type of situation. I also heard that the NBA has this as well. With the lengths I go to to make sure I don't have to drive after drinking (most common: drink alone in basement) I really don't understand why these guys refuse to take advantage of this absolutely fantastic, not to mention responsible, perk.

Let's talk about how far he drops in redraft leagues.

I'm assuming it's going to be a six game suspension. Not only does this mean he will miss a huge chunk of the fantasy season, I'm concerned with muscle pulls and conditioning issues after the fact. On my board, I'm dropping him to the Redman, Ridley, and Donald Brown tier RB25 and thinking of dropping him even lower.

What is everyone else thinking?

By the way, it has not yet been disclosed what his blood alcohol level was. It has only been disclosed that it exceeded the .08 legal limit.

Actually most NFL teams have a program in place where the players can get a ride home for free in such situations.
Right, have your homeboy go with you and be your driver.

Actually most NFL teams have a program in place where the players can get a ride home for free in such situations.
Right, have your homeboy go with you and be your driver.
Logic when it comes to athletes does not apply.

'Sweet Love said:
'Warrior said:
What really surprises me are the agents...they tend to be very smart businessmen, and they let their "investments" run around like crazy. If I am representing a guy with a checkered past and he is in the ballpark salary-wise of a guy like Lynch, I am insisting he have an "assistant" (at the agents cost) whose sole job is to keep the player out of trouble. In this economy, you could hire some 30-something for 50-60k, and all he has to do is accompany the player to clubs, parties, errands, etc., and get the guy out of there if trouble starts brewing. It is like insurance, and in many cases will pay off.
These guys are adults you can't have someone following them around 24/7. The players themselves need to be responsible and have someone else do the driving or call for a ride and not take the risk.

'Warrior said:
NOT EVEN $20...MOST temas if not all have a driver program and they give a number to every player for this specific purpose: if you have been partying/drinking, call this number and a driver will come pick you up nd drive you anywhere you want to go...for free.

'Warrior said:

NOT EVEN $20...MOST temas if not all have a driver program and they give a number to every player for this specific purpose: if you have been partying/drinking, call this number and a driver will come pick you up nd drive you anywhere you want to go...for free.
Could be they don't want the team to know how much they've been partying. Wouldn't be a surprise if a player had to call for a large number of rides that the team would use that against him in contract negotiations. Are the free rides confidential? Provided by the NFLPA or does the team foot the bill?Here's something. Looks like it's no longer free, the player is billed $85.00 and there was concerns that teams used free rides to spy on players.

Safe Rides still available, but at a price

So teams are partially to blame for turning a service used to protect their investment in a player from harm, being suspended, or harming others; into a tool to use against a player in contract negotiations.

'Warrior said:
Perhaps if he was in Seattle he would have used the number the team supplied him with.

Could be they don't want the team to know how much they've been partying. Wouldn't be a surprise if a player had to call for a large number of rides that the team would use that against him in contract negotiations. Are the free rides confidential? Provided by the NFLPA or does the team foot the bill?

Here's something. Looks like it's no longer free, the player is billed $85.00 and there was concerns that teams used free rides to spy on players.

Safe Rides still available, but at a price

So teams are partially to blame for turning a service used to protect their investment in a player from harm, being suspended, or harming others; into a tool to use against a player in contract negotiations.
Even if that is the case, then why wouldn't these guys just keep a private limo companies number in their wallet? I know these guys aren't too bright and they probably weren't all math majors in college, but I gotta believe even they can figure out that a limo cost less than a DUI/suspension. I'm thinking its probably more likely that they drive their $100k+ fancy cars somewhere, end up drinking more than they planned and then its not that they don't want to call a car service its that they don't want to leave a 100K+ ride in some neighborhood where it ain't gonna make it through the night so a cab/limo isn't an option. What these guys really need is a service where someone comes out and drives their fancy ### car home for them.

So how many of these guys actually have an entourage? For those that do, isn't this the sort of thing you have them for?

'Couch Potato said:
By the way, it has not yet been disclosed what his blood alcohol level was. It has only been disclosed that it exceeded the .08 legal limit.
what does it matter?he broke the lawhes not any better than me !

They said on NFL Network that there is an Aug. 14th court date, but he has not yet been charged as the DA is still reviewing the case.

'Couch Potato said:
what does it matter?he broke the lawhes not any better than me !
I mentioned it only because Imthescientist was and is continuing to make a big deal about .09 not being the same as .15, my point being we don't know that he was .09, .15, .20, or something else. Your reply implies that my post suggests I was downplaying the significance of the matter. Quite the opposite. Yes, he broke the law and put lives in danger, regardless of the level above .08. That IS my point throughout this thread.And anyone (like Imthescientist) treating it as though Lynch driving the freeway drunk is less of a big deal if it was "only" .09 obviously has never had a close friend or family member killed by a drunk driver.

He was released at 3:30am .... so he couldn't have been that drunk. Just sayin
:lmao:
According to this article he couldn't have been released at 3:30 anyway.http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_21094075/oakland-officers-spotted-nfl-star-lynch-weaving-across

A couple of excerpts:

It was about 3:20 a.m. when a California Highway Patrol officer spotted a 2012 Ford van driven by Lynch, rambling across the northbound lanes of Interstate 880 in Oakland, CHP Officer Sam Morgan said.
Lynch's blood alcohol level was over the .08 percent legal limit, Morgan said, but the CHP is prohibited from releasing the specific level while the investigation is active.

'Shutout said:
'Warrior said:

I'm sticking with my 3 game prediction. Of course you can kill people by drinking and driving...nobody is disputing that.

'Couch Potato said:
what does it matter?he broke the law

hes not any better than me !
I mentioned it only because Imthescientist was and is continuing to make a big deal about .09 not being the same as .15, my point being we don't know that he was .09, .15, .20, or something else. Your reply implies that my post suggests I was downplaying the significance of the matter. Quite the opposite. Yes, he broke the law and put lives in danger, regardless of the level above .08. That IS my point throughout this thread.

And anyone (like Imthescientist) treating it as though Lynch driving the freeway drunk is less of a big deal if it was "only" .09 obviously has never had a close friend or family member killed by a drunk driver.
Give it a rest, guy.

a California Highway Patrol officer spotted a 2012 Ford van driven by Lynch
I guess there goes my theory about him not wanting to leave his fancy car behind... :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread