What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

what happened to the shark pool? (1 Viewer)

Been on these boards for a long long time. I'm here everyday. It has changed and the pissing matches do suck, still think its the best ff board out there. I skim through threads to find good information, which is still here, just a bit harder to find......I don't even know who rizzler is, anytime I see arguments and long winded threads I move on. I still love this place, warts and all.

I would have absolutely no problem in making The Shark Pool a subscriber's content only.

I have no problem keeping The Assistant Coach open to the "General Public" since you don't see the problems that we see here on The Shark Pool.

The info in TSP was of greater value at one time but it is slowly turning into an ESPN message board, IMHO.

I love the DD since I don't have the time like I used to maintain my own cheat-sheets.

There are still plenty of posters whose opinions I value as highly as most professionals in the hobby. The information and value is still there - you just have to put up with a lot to get to it.

Guys like goat herders and anarchy99 came through, and a long time shark pooler named ministry of pain doubled his shark pool efforts and started doing a weekly running back thread. Two of those guys are on staff now.
What staffers were these two guys?
Dowling = herd = Abe (me)Anarchy = rudnicki.

We were added to the staff before the 03 or 04 season. Can't recall. Wow that was a long time ago.
Anarchy is Yudkin

The FBG forums jumped the shark a while back. They went mainstream and all outside-the-box thinking went out the window when the forum was flooded by 12 year olds with i-egos. It's just another place now...nothing special (other than the occasional friday thread that makes me chuckle).This used to be a niche board with some great characters. Now it's just a jumble of "Obama Sucks", "RMoney sucks" and 30 separate threads asking noob questions like "My first auction draft, any tips?" and "Is it crazy of me to wait on QB's this year?" and posts like "I just droppex X player so everyone can thank me when he blows up next week" over and over and over again. I miss the days of wheat pennies, ball cancer, and hiding money.So lame.
Don't forget the "what have we learned" threads. Or the yearly gripe about players not honoring their contracts and holding out.

I wonder if it wasn't the exit of Shick! that started the decline. Love him or hate him he ruled the forums with an iron fist and really took to heart the "no pissing in the shark pool" mantra for the most part. The faceless mod thing is a joke and seems to be even more arbitrary than he was...which is really saying something.
I miss him and thought he was awesome. I know others don't share that passion.

This place was at its best when everyone talked openly and honestly about their reasons for liking different guys, and we got good discussion with numbers, camp tidbits, and real analysis.
This is totally gone. Shart Poolers are so concerned about brown-nosing David that it's very, very, very rare to see anyone take a contrary position to "Official FBG" Rankings. For example, in the Spotlight articles, usually the "message board consensus" is within 10% of the Dodds numbers. No one wants to upset the boss because everyone thinks if they keep parroting the same info back, they'll be invited to join the staff.

also, if there is one thing people can take away from this thread, it is the following:

it is never too early to draft kyle boller.

last comment, then i will hang up and listen.

i think a lot of this stems from removing user #s as the new people cannot see who should be respected with 3 digit member #s so it is like lord of flies now.

only instead of a conch shell it is a wdis thread along with scoring rules and lineups from a 6 team league.

This place was at its best when everyone talked openly and honestly about their reasons for liking different guys, and we got good discussion with numbers, camp tidbits, and real analysis.
This is totally gone. Shart Poolers are so concerned about brown-nosing David that it's very, very, very rare to see anyone take a contrary position to "Official FBG" Rankings. For example, in the Spotlight articles, usually the "message board consensus" is within 10% of the Dodds numbers. No one wants to upset the boss because everyone thinks if they keep parroting the same info back, they'll be invited to join the staff.
Maybe i'm missing something, but don't see/feel that (i.e. Dodds standing over us telling us what to think/type). Since the consensus is an average, I don't find being close to Dodd to be shocking.???

It's because the mods stopped letting us have motion avatars with hot chicks on them... :P

Pool seems mostly the same to me. Only thing I really wonder is how high the activity level is compared to prior years. My suspicion is that the number of users/posters peaked a few years ago and then nosedived after the lockout last year, but I have nothing to support that other than my own observations. Just seems like there are a lot fewer threads and a lot less activity/discussion in general.

i think a lot of this stems from removing user #s as the new people cannot see who should be respected with 3 digit member #s so it is like lord of flies now.

only instead of a conch shell it is a wdis thread along with scoring rules and lineups from a 6 team league.
[*]Group: Members

[*]Posts: 777

[*]Joined: 14-April 03

[*]Location:Work. Static

There is always THAT.

Where HAVE you been, BTW?? :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the threads I've seen where bickering follows is when one poster decides to label any opinion other than his as worthless or stupid. It's like they dont want anyone disagreeing with them because it might make it less likely that their posts get quoted in a player spotlight.
So basically just like 99.9% of the internet. :hophead:

[*]Group: Members

[*]Posts: 776

[*]Joined: 14-April 03

[*]Location:Work. Static.
No member numbers, but there is that info.

Where the hell HAVE you been, BTW? :shrug:
me being in investment banking in the real estate finance industry pretty much put me in a dark cave working non stop. that and having 2 kids, but now i have been having sometime to pop my head up here and there.

that's probably true for a lot of the regulars. everyone kind of picks their guys who they feel really strongly about, argues a lot about them, and tends to stick to the consensus on the rest. the difference these days is how many of the arguments for or against these guys turn into arguments about semantics, or some personal grudge between posters, or some other nonsense that nobody else cares about. We used to have a higher percentage of people who were willing to do that work, but the new guys suck and the old guys don't put the work in anymore.

Every forum that's been around for a while has long time posters talking about the "good old days" of the forum.

I wasn't around for the good old days but in the past few seasons this board has helped me win a couple of championships.

Every forum that's been around for a while has long time posters talking about the "good old days" of the forum. I wasn't around for the good old days but in the past few seasons this board has helped me win a couple of championships.
Since you weren't around, I can say that you missed some really good debates and discussions. The off seasons were awesome. All the geeky, nerdy, pocket protector types would start threads and throw out numbers, trends, and theories that were read and replied to by other equally bookish, non-dating, no life posters. It was awesome. Many of those threads had better info than paid content did (depnding upon the site and the topic).Those threads were very common . . . now they are mostly uncommon. Back then, people would argue and post reasons and rationale to there argument. Now it often seems that people want to bash other people's opinions without really providing a reason and then that can often turn into a pi$$ing contest pretty quickly.Now we get threads on whether it makes sense to draft RB/WR/TE/RB/WR/QB from the 11 hole. I guess there may be some value in that, but if I am not drafting from the 11 hole I may not check that thread . . . and I never go in with a road map on what spots I want to fill and in what rounds, so that would be another reason for me to pass.I guess overall the topics and time people devote to posting intelligent, well thought out replies tehse days seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird. Once in a while there will be some things that surprise me, but in the main the amount of useful information that comes out of the Shark Pool has been reduced.

Guys like Kool aid larry and rizzler have ruined countless threads recently with thread stalking and bickering as if anyone cared about their factless opinion posts and ongoing arguments.
Someone cared enough to write a novel about it. :rolleyes: Anyways, short and sweet. If this was a forum that dealt with serious, life altering issues, I'd care.

It doesn't. This forum and this hobby are about pretending to be something we're not; Owners of a football team.

It's make belief, man. Most of us come here to cool down, blow off some steam, throw a couple zingers, and when we want real info, we hit the articles.

Some of us like to make novellas about how cool things were back in the dinosaur age.
OMG..you cant be FN serious? I know this..the 10/20 K i spend a year playing this hobby is not PRETEND Monopoly money! Lots of players here play very serious high stakes FF on a professional level. Now i know exactly what Fred was talking about. Trolls like you just ruin sites like this..you would have been chewed up and spit out back in the day..that kind of BS would not ever have gone on back then! What a dam shame! Wow, guess i know why i dont come around here nearly like i used to! I haven't been as crazy about the tank since the board change. There was a time this place was the first place id come anytime i wanted to find the best up to the second information. Those were the days, this forum was the best for that. I was far from an angel here but did try to contribute some good stuff as much as possible too. I can see why Fred is so turned off..What a disgrace of a post, as soon as i get to post like this i also turn off and leave..its just that pathetic..if you feel that way why the hell you here? Screw don't back back..who needs this kind of BS here? Pretend? So if i blow 10k playing this year can i pretend that its still really in my bank account?? WTF kind of BS nonsense is that? OMG if this donkey is anything like the type of new posters around here then this place will never be the same again and i cant tell you how big a shame that would be.

Does not J still come around in here and give creeps like this a warning or two before giving them a time out or worse? Jeez, now dopes like this are costing me good time..wasted time and that's exactly what Fred was referring too..just takes a few Aholes like Riz here and destroy a great forum!

Joe clean this place up and out, one way or another.
Speaking of cleaning up..."i was banned for 4 years and i guess it just been lifted recently, how much do i owe you bass? I will get it to you with my next check..sorry about that but my isp was banned and i could even browse this site never mind log in..again sorry. I will take care of this as i do recall a bet we had back then..i think it was $25 or $50 but am not sure..let me know and keep things cool and i will make good on it via paypal or check during my next pay period.." - DoonyT

It was $50 Donny. You've passed Lhucks on the debt delinquincy meter and are now closing in on the US gov't.

Has it really changed that much? Seriously it seems like that stuff has always been here.
See, it's people like you I would start banning with crap like this.
Huh? Schtick right? I just asked a simple question. Perhaps you are trying to make a point by bickering in a thread complaining about too much bickering? We all tend to romanticize our past and it just seems to me like that is what this is. I remember a rather lengthy thread debating the value of posts based on membership number. While I am "4 Digiter" I doubt that because someone enrolled 30 minutes before me that their content was any better. I also remember that I started going mostly to the FFA years ago, over the kind of stuff that is being complained about here. Maybe I am not paying attention over here or the am numb (see what I did here) to so that's why I asked.

Most of the threads I've seen where bickering follows is when one poster decides to label any opinion other than his as worthless or stupid. It's like they dont want anyone disagreeing with them because it might make it less likely that their posts get quoted in a player spotlight.
BingoThis is what happened to the Atlanta Falcons Message Boards about 6 years ago and as a result the original core that had meaningful content simply left....

Every forum that's been around for a while has long time posters talking about the "good old days" of the forum. I wasn't around for the good old days but in the past few seasons this board has helped me win a couple of championships.
Since you weren't around, I can say that you missed some really good debates and discussions. The off seasons were awesome. All the geeky, nerdy, pocket protector types would start threads and throw out numbers, trends, and theories that were read and replied to by other equally bookish, non-dating, no life posters. It was awesome. Many of those threads had better info than paid content did (depnding upon the site and the topic).Those threads were very common . . . now they are mostly uncommon. Back then, people would argue and post reasons and rationale to there argument. Now it often seems that people want to bash other people's opinions without really providing a reason and then that can often turn into a pi$$ing contest pretty quickly.Now we get threads on whether it makes sense to draft RB/WR/TE/RB/WR/QB from the 11 hole. I guess there may be some value in that, but if I am not drafting from the 11 hole I may not check that thread . . . and I never go in with a road map on what spots I want to fill and in what rounds, so that would be another reason for me to pass.I guess overall the topics and time people devote to posting intelligent, well thought out replies tehse days seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird. Once in a while there will be some things that surprise me, but in the main the amount of useful information that comes out of the Shark Pool has been reduced.
Now I can get behind this more so. The content and things people would post on here was great. The problem is many of those guys are getting paid to do that now and don't get to put some of their thoughts or ideas on here.

I don't think this is close to any truth whatsoever.Would have a hard time thinking people are intentionally sticking close to Dodds projections hoping to get on the staff.FF as a whole has evolved. Number of users has grown.People are more informed. Many threads are just re-hashed material.On 1 player, we may have 5 different posts (spotlight, injury related thread, how does X being out effect Y, player X will be top 5 etc...All these threads have similar people sticking to their respective thoughts, some people act more toolish than others, people get to know each other, start nit picking each other from other threads elsewhere, turns to bickering and thread becomes 80% of worthless posts.This thread is a good example.

bostonfred....hmmmm.....while I generally agree with his sentiment in this thread I believe that's the guy who made several flippant posts in an otherwise serious thread a couple years ago trying to belittle me about my choice of screen names :rolleyes:

Has it really changed that much? Seriously it seems like that stuff has always been here.
See, it's people like you I would start banning with crap like this.
Huh? Schtick right? I just asked a simple question. Perhaps you are trying to make a point by bickering in a thread complaining about too much bickering? We all tend to romanticize our past and it just seems to me like that is what this is. I remember a rather lengthy thread debating the value of posts based on membership number. While I am "4 Digiter" I doubt that because someone enrolled 30 minutes before me that their content was any better. I also remember that I started going mostly to the FFA years ago, over the kind of stuff that is being complained about here. Maybe I am not paying attention over here or the am numb (see what I did here) to so that's why I asked.
:yes: Yea, just teasing.I don't think the board has changed much.Just feel there is SO much info available to us right away now. You can only go on about something so much.

Since you weren't around, I can say that you missed some really good debates and discussions. The off seasons were awesome. All the geeky, nerdy, pocket protector types would start threads and throw out numbers, trends, and theories that were read and replied to by other equally bookish, non-dating, no life posters. It was awesome. Many of those threads had better info than paid content did (depnding upon the site and the topic).Those threads were very common . . . now they are mostly uncommon. Back then, people would argue and post reasons and rationale to there argument. Now it often seems that people want to bash other people's opinions without really providing a reason and then that can often turn into a pi$ing contest pretty quickly.Now we get threads on whether it makes sense to draft RB/WR/TE/RB/WR/QB from the 11 hole. I guess there may be some value in that, but if I am not drafting from the 11 hole I may not check that thread . . . and I never go in with a road map on what spots I want to fill and in what rounds, so that would be another reason for me to pass.I guess overall the topics and time people devote to posting intelligent, well thought out replies tehse days seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird. Once in a while there will be some things that surprise me, but in the main the amount of useful information that comes out of the Shark Pool has been reduced.
Well... if that is the case it might have something to do with the increasing popularity of fantasy football to the point that it is so mainstream now. You have people who take it really seriously and others who don't. And also there is so much info now in lots of places around the web. Anyways...everything changes. I'm hoping for a fun season on this board...and another championship!!

bostonfred....hmmmm.....while I generally agree with his sentiment in this thread I believe that's the guy who made several flippant posts in an otherwise serious thread a couple years ago trying to belittle me about my choice of screen names :rolleyes:
yeah, that is the problem in a nutshell. most old time members treat new members with very little respect - often pointing to when a person joined as how much respect they deserve or got - and dismissing posts instead of offering interesting and valuable discussion. it's not hard to figure out what happened to the shark pool...

It's very easy to tell the schtick threads from the real analysis threads. Click on the ones you want and leave the rest.

There's also ignore features for those sad enough to use them.

95% of internet forum replies now are irrelevant to the thread topic or troll jobs. I am active on two forums specific to my profession and it amazes me what people write knowing there is a strong chance their boss is also a member.

CrazyFox is right - there is so much information on FF out there that the Shark Pool can't have breaking news updates every hour. 10 years ago I'm sure when RB X broke his leg in a Tuesday league, you heard it about it first. Now, you can read it on twitter from the team medic's assistant's son 30 seconds after it happens. Any schlub can read a Matthew Berry article touting Peyton Hills and even people in free leagues know what VBD is. It's impossible to be as shark as it was 10-15 years ago with so many internet resources and the popularity boom.

I blame it all on RBBC and Goodell.In reality most of the guys that drove the intelligent debates around here got smart and started getting paid for their work. Once no one was left to drive the bus the rest of us got off.For the newcomers reading this thread...many of us who used to post in the pool more often are now in the mock draft forums. Starting in January we begin establishing the draft trends for the upcoming year and have debate/discussion about players. Come join us in 2013 at the start of the year.

I feel like the sarcasm factor in this place went up ten fold. "You need Joe to tuck you in at night." "Cool story, bro." The whole vibe of the message board went from welcoming, intelligent discussions and debates to school yard bullies and know-it-alls.

I would love a subscriber forum.

Guys like goat herders and anarchy99 came through, and a long time shark pooler named ministry of pain doubled his shark pool efforts and started doing a weekly running back thread. Two of those guys are on staff now.

We were added to the staff before the 03 or 04 season. Can't recall. Wow that was a long time ago.
Anarchy is Yudkin
The real problem is people being so quick to post without reading the whole thread.No, seriously... I used to love the Shark Pool for FFB info. Then it got cluttered with posters acting like the CBS forums which is why I found myself here in the first place. I stuck around for the offseason discussion since I'm a dynasty guy and that's when all the guppies were gone. Now not even the month of June is sacred in here. I don't have the motivation to engage in much discussion here anymore, not that many of you found my opinions all that useful.

Guys like Kool aid larry and rizzler have ruined countless threads recently with thread stalking and bickering as if anyone cared about their factless opinion posts and ongoing arguments.
Someone cared enough to write a novel about it. :rolleyes: Anyways, short and sweet. If this was a forum that dealt with serious, life altering issues, I'd care.

It doesn't. This forum and this hobby are about pretending to be something we're not; Owners of a football team.

It's make belief, man. Most of us come here to cool down, blow off some steam, throw a couple zingers, and when we want real info, we hit the articles.

Some of us like to make novellas about how cool things were back in the dinosaur age.
OMG..you cant be FN serious? I know this..the 10/20 K i spend a year playing this hobby is not PRETEND Monopoly money! Lots of players here play very serious high stakes FF on a professional level. Now i know exactly what Fred was talking about. Trolls like you just ruin sites like this..you would have been chewed up and spit out back in the day..that kind of BS would not ever have gone on back then! What a dam shame! Wow, guess i know why i dont come around here nearly like i used to! I haven't been as crazy about the tank since the board change. There was a time this place was the first place id come anytime i wanted to find the best up to the second information. Those were the days, this forum was the best for that. I was far from an angel here but did try to contribute some good stuff as much as possible too. I can see why Fred is so turned off..What a disgrace of a post, as soon as i get to post like this i also turn off and leave..its just that pathetic..if you feel that way why the hell you here? Screw don't back back..who needs this kind of BS here? Pretend? So if i blow 10k playing this year can i pretend that its still really in my bank account?? WTF kind of BS nonsense is that? OMG if this donkey is anything like the type of new posters around here then this place will never be the same again and i cant tell you how big a shame that would be.

Does not J still come around in here and give creeps like this a warning or two before giving them a time out or worse? Jeez, now dopes like this are costing me good time..wasted time and that's exactly what Fred was referring too..just takes a few Aholes like Riz here and destroy a great forum!

Joe clean this place up and out, one way or another.
You're an angry man. I'd hate to see how upset you get about real football.

Count me in as one of the people that doesn't post and doesn't come here as much because I am sick of all the low content posts.

Ironically, I don't care about the useless THREADS, those I can choose not to open, but when it's a topic I want to read about, it's so hard to get through it because of all the people who want to post zingers, marking threads, people just posting to start fights, etc.....

I don't care at all in the FFA - that's what it's for, and I do read and participate in that forum - but in the shark pool I wish it was moderated heavily and just put the ban-hammer on anyone who posts useless replies. I want to come to this forum to get information and talk about football.

It should be run like "The Lounge" at 2+2 - over there they tailor the forums so that people that want to post wisecracks and junk can post in OOT or BBV and the people that want to read them can hang out in those forums. In The Lounge, it's generally all thoughtful replies that add to the discussion or you get banned from posting there.

I also have a 3 digit account besides this one, and agree that the board was much better 3-4 years ago.

When you see threads like this, it means the regular season needs to start.......

I've seen this happen in a very popular fly fishing forum I frequent. The reality is, as the message board grows, you get all kinds. So, you've got everything from hardcore FF'ers to casual players and everything in between.

The problems arise from personal attacks. There are lots of people on forums like these that lie in wait for a post they can tear apart. They wait for someone to make a mistake or say something they feel is wrong, so they can pounce on it and make themselves feel like a smarty pants.

The other thing is, theres kind of an exclusive club around here, that if you dont belong to, it may be easy to get defensive, or feel like an outsider. A lot of the time, all the " I remember back when it didnt suck around here" doesnt help.

FWIW, this forum is much less cluttered and has much fewer attacks than other FF forums.

I feel like the sarcasm factor in this place went up ten fold. "You need Joe to tuck you in at night." "Cool story, bro." The whole vibe of the message board went from welcoming, intelligent discussions and debates to school yard bullies and know-it-alls. I would love a subscriber forum.
One of the biggest whiners in this thread was using the Cool story, bro schtick often. Everyone wants to point the finger at everyone else as the problem but very few look in the mirror. And that's why things will never be better.

Count me in as one of the people that doesn't post and doesn't come here as much because I am sick of all the low content posts.

It should be run like "The Lounge" at 2+2 - over there they tailor the forums so that people that want to post wisecracks and junk can post in OOT or BBV and the people that want to read them can hang out in those forums. In The Lounge, it's generally all thoughtful replies that add to the discussion or you get banned from posting there.

This actually sounds like a really good idea. Get the riff raff crap off the to the side. The other thing I would love to see would be separation of

ppr forum vs non ppr forum. Too often threads also get cluttered due to differing agenda's

that's probably true for a lot of the regulars. everyone kind of picks their guys who they feel really strongly about, argues a lot about them, and tends to stick to the consensus on the rest. the difference these days is how many of the arguments for or against these guys turn into arguments about semantics, or some personal grudge between posters, or some other nonsense that nobody else cares about. We used to have a higher percentage of people who were willing to do that work, but the new guys suck and the old guys don't put the work in anymore.
My $.02. Two things have helped contribute to the change that I see. The first is that as more and more people hear about this board and join it, there is more of a chance that a league mate is lurking. I've never really cared much about that angle myself. I appreciate being in HyperActive and having both Bruce and Ryan not just publish dynasty rankings, but point out where they are to the rest of the league. That's confidence and missing from a lot of people here. To a lot of people this site is their secret and now that the secret is out, they feel obligated to take the opposite view, usually hysterically over the top, to hide their true thoughts. They want to "steal" Mathews at the end of the 3rd, so they post numerous times about how he's out forever and made of glass, just in case, or really, hoping that their league mates read the posts. That didn't happen as much 5-7 years ago but you see it more and more now. Just a function of popularity. The second factor in my opinion is the general "anonymous internet snarkiness" of the public. People have been conditioned to be more sarcastic, confrontational, and controversial on the internet than they were 7 years ago. It's not just Footballguys. It's not just fantasy football. It's America in general. It seems that it used to be that more people would think about how they would act in person before posting. There was more civility. But as we've become further removed from a society that communicates face to face, with all the niceties associated with that, we've become more and more like inpolite jackasses. There is very little chance someone is going to punch me when I make a jackass remark to some one on here. There is little reason to really be civil in conversations on the internet anymore. And that of course is reflected here as well. It's too bad.

Now I can get behind this more so. The content and things people would post on here was great. The problem is many of those guys are getting paid to do that now and don't get to put some of their thoughts or ideas on here.
Yep. There used to be lots of great discussion on QBBC and Defense by Committee in August and now there's virtually none. It gets thrown into an article and that's that. I know Joe has said he'll never have a subscriber only forum but it would be awesome to have a subscriber forum to post and discuss the articles with the staff actively participating in the discussions. The articles itself aren't what made FBG so great. It was the discussion that generated from the ideas which is pretty much gone now.

I'll add my $.02 to the status of the FBG forums. Joe and company, please accept this as constructive criticism and not a complaint, because everything I get from you is phenominal value for my $26-and whatever annual subscription.

I have noticed that the moderation of the boards has been more and more relaxed in the past few years. I seem to recall Joe stepping in to the bickering reminding us to "be excellent to each other", but not recently.

As with any successful business, FBG appears to have grown and attracted more people. I imagine moderating the forum requires more time than Joe, David, et al have time for.

I would suggest recruiting moderators to help patrol the bickering, personal attacks, and blatant off-topic junk. One word of caution there; being a moderator is a privilege, not a right, and I've seen just as many forums go downhill because of overzealous moderation as I have seen them be under-moderated.

Ideally I would like to see a slashdot-style forum where posts are user - modded up or down (or call it "liked" for the Facebook crowd.) This would allow us to glaze over the bad ("bickering") posts. I'm sure there is another off-the-shelf forum software that allows for this, although that's not my area of expertise.

As an alternative, or in the interim, I would recommend people start using that "ignore" list - when you find a poster continually not adding value, just ignore them. You'll be happier not to read the drivel, and they'll have one less person likely to respond to their post. (ie "don't feed the trolls.") I currently only have one person on my ignore list - I'll refrain from saying who - but I am happier for it.

The second factor in my opinion is the general "anonymous internet snarkiness" of the public. People have been conditioned to be more sarcastic, confrontational, and controversial on the internet than they were 7 years ago. It's not just Footballguys. It's not just fantasy football. It's America in general. It seems that it used to be that more people would think about how they would act in person before posting. There was more civility. But as we've become further removed from a society that communicates face to face, with all the niceties associated with that, we've become more and more like inpolite jackasses. There is very little chance someone is going to punch me when I make a jackass remark to some one on here. There is little reason to really be civil in conversations on the internet anymore. And that of course is reflected here as well. It's too bad.
You are referring to the "Greater Internet F-Wad Theory". Feel free to Google it, it's not safe for work though.

I remember that. It was about three years ago.Fred's comment was "Are you really a 57-year-old guy who calls himself Dragon?"Gotta admit, I laughed.

Anarchy is Yudkin
and apparently rudnicki is hipple

Anyone who has been coming to these boards for years know which names to look for and which names to ignore. End result is that most people who post thousands of messages here have very little to offer. I agree 100% that this is nothing really new here. I have about 20 names I look for where I trust the info. The others are assumed to be useless banter until proven otherwise. However I do not think this has anything to do with new guys or old guys. I did a quick search and the OP was correct - most of the stuff posted by the people mentioned in this thread is to fuel their own pretend ego - not provide info.

Users who are viewing this thread