What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

starting randall cobb over.... (1 Viewer)

need2know

Footballguy
my league is a start 3 wr, .5 ppr, 30 yards per return pt, all tds 6 pts(including rtn tds)

starting him along with colston and floyd.

I am starting him over vincent jackson (I could see TB trying to play catch up and getting garbage points, but i am having some serious doubts with freeman and think TB will get blown out).

who else is rolling him out and who over?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there are other posts on this but Cobb was in the backfield more than Benson last week... at least that is what it seemed like. Mccarthy just said they want to get ball in his hands more... almost like he will be a 3rd down back.

so tempted to start him over decker (vs. atl) or b. lloyd (vs. ari), but not sure if I can pull the trigger. thoughts?

I'm starting Cobb over Jennings. Even if Greg plays he's likely not going to be full-go.

I wanted a reason to start Cobb anyway, because I see them game-planning similar to the 49ers game (a lot of dink and dunking). I could easily see another 7 catch 80 yard type stat line. Unlikely he'll get a TD, though.

in a non ppr league with 1 pt per 25 return yards anyone start Cobb over Stevie Johnson vs KC? Fairly tempted to myself (would be my WR#3)

in a non ppr league with 1 pt per 25 return yards anyone start Cobb over Stevie Johnson vs KC? Fairly tempted to myself (would be my WR#3)
In a return league how could you not start Cobb as a weekly WR3? Him and A. Brown would be amazing plays every week.

I went heavy on RBs early in my draft, so Bradshaw is my RB3/flex...still debating weather to start Cobb over him at my flex...Its a league that gives a point per 25 return yards...I wouldn't start him over my 2 WR's but I think he can outproduce Bradshaw

Right now he is on my bench. I am starting Nicks over him in the flex. I would probably start him over my other flex options though (Stevie Johnson, lynch)

He's my number 4/5 WR behind Welker, Wayne, and Demaryus about even with Lance Moore. I'm considering benching Welker in favor of him though. Kinda crazy, but I don't like what I'm hearing from NE concerning why Welker wasn't more involved.

He's my number 4/5 WR behind Welker, Wayne, and Demaryus about even with Lance Moore. I'm considering benching Welker in favor of him though. Kinda crazy, but I don't like what I'm hearing from NE concerning why Welker wasn't more involved.
I have been contemplating the same thing. I think I am going to give Welker one more week. I do want to use Cobb this week though. So it is Welker or Antonio Brown who will be sitting. Leaning brown.

:Look at me:

Dropped DHB for him and not looking back. He's my flex until other prospective RB's are back in the fold.

starting him over Stevie johnson and V Jax in a non-PPR league. Think he is going to be a big factor Th night.

It's either Donald Brown or Cobb in my flex. Not going to roll with Kevin Smith vs. Frisco, so might as well go with the PPR upside of Cobb.

Brown could surprise with a big game at home though...

'need2know said:
my league is a start 3 wr, .5 ppr, 30 yards per return pt, all tds 6 pts(including rtn tds)starting him along with colston and floyd.I am starting him over vincent jackson (I could see TB trying to play catch up and getting garbage points, but i am having some serious doubts with freeman and think TB will get blown out).who else is rolling him out and who over?
Nope. Vincent Jackson? Lol

'johnadams said:
BB said he wasnt as involved as normal because they had a team specific gameplan for tennessee. Take that how you will.

'49er fan said:
I went heavy on RBs early in my draft, so Bradshaw is my RB3/flex...still debating weather to start Cobb over him at my flex...Its a league that gives a point per 25 return yards...I wouldn't start him over my 2 WR's but I think he can outproduce Bradshaw
Bradshaw is going to carve the Bucs up. Their run D is beyond terrible. You may wanna rethink that.

'49er fan said:
Bradshaw is going to carve the Bucs up. Their run D is beyond terrible. You may wanna rethink that.
Brace for the incoming D. Williams ran for negative yardage.(im starting Bradshaw in every league)

'49er fan said:
Brace for the incoming D. Williams ran for negative yardage.(im starting Bradshaw in every league)
:goodposting:

'need2know said:
my league is a start 3 wr, .5 ppr, 30 yards per return pt, all tds 6 pts(including rtn tds)starting him along with colston and floyd.I am starting him over vincent jackson (I could see TB trying to play catch up and getting garbage points, but i am having some serious doubts with freeman and think TB will get blown out).who else is rolling him out and who over?
Nope. Vincent Jackson? Lol
whats so funny?

Yardage heavy league, no PPR, punt return yards count the same as receiving yards, kickoff return yardage is rewarded weird (average returns score basically nothing, but long returns provide substantial bonuses).

I have to start three between Fitzgerald, Marshall, Austin, Lance Moore, Stephen Hill, and Cobb. I will definitely be starting Marshall and Cobb. Third slot will come down between Fitz and Austin.

Have Cobb in many leagues:

Over Bowe and Floyd (return yardage league)

Over DWill and Wright

Over Wright

Over DJax

Maybe over Lloyd

Can't over Austin and Bowe

Maybe over Lloyd (but not AHern as a flex)

Can't over DT (probably would over T Smith, but this is a start 2 WR league)

So if there is no Jennings, I could see some more snaps for Cobb. Tough to think he will get more targets in that system. So 7 or 8 sounds about right. So I think he would be a strong WR3 this week with WR2 upside.

My internal debate is between Cobb and Lloyd and it is ongoing. Didn't think Cobb would be a viable option this early in the season, and totally did not think GB would use him as the de facto 3rd down back. GB will have trouble running the ball all year, and doubt they will have much success Thursday vs CHI.

(Personally, I would like to see some chemistry between Brady and Lloyd... but that topic is for another thread)

Yardage heavy league, no PPR, punt return yards count the same as receiving yards, kickoff return yardage is rewarded weird (average returns score basically nothing, but long returns provide substantial bonuses). I have to start three between Fitzgerald, Marshall, Austin, Lance Moore, Stephen Hill, and Cobb. I will definitely be starting Marshall and Cobb. Third slot will come down between Fitz and Austin.
Cobb over one of Fitz or Austin? And by a venerable veteran in SSOG. Wow. The top's come off this one! :banned: I'm still debating whether to start the Cobbler over Randall Moss and Darius Randall-Bey.

'johnadams said:
BB said he wasnt as involved as normal because they had a team specific gameplan for tennessee. Take that how you will.
Yeah, I don't see how people are down on Jackson. Freeman played as well as he has since his rookie year and he was locked onto Jackson. If you want to start Cobb over Jackson in a ppr, I don't agree, but I can understand it. Playing Cobb over Jackson in a non-ppr is a stretch.

PPR, 3 points for return TDs, 3 WRs, leaning towards starting him over K. Britt and DHB. Britt is supposed to be on a limited snap count this week and I don't like that DHB only saw five targets last week, compared to 18(!) for McFadden and 10 for Streater. Would probably change my mind if Jennings ends up going.

Yardage heavy league, no PPR, punt return yards count the same as receiving yards, kickoff return yardage is rewarded weird (average returns score basically nothing, but long returns provide substantial bonuses). I have to start three between Fitzgerald, Marshall, Austin, Lance Moore, Stephen Hill, and Cobb. I will definitely be starting Marshall and Cobb. Third slot will come down between Fitz and Austin.
Cobb over one of Fitz or Austin? And by a venerable veteran in SSOG. Wow. The top's come off this one! :banned: I'm still debating whether to start the Cobbler over Randall Moss and Darius Randall-Bey.
The return yards make all the difference. Even if he only throws up 30 receiving yards, tack on another 30 in punt returns and suddenly he had a pretty decent day. Get him 59 receiving, 30 on punts, one long kickoff, and a TD in there somewhere, and Cobb is a top 5 receiver. Break off 70 yards in punt returns and you're the #1 fantasy receiver (which is where Cobb is ranked after week 1 in my league). I'm a huge fan in that league of riding marginal offensive weapons with heavy return value- guys like Hester and Cribbs have been quality WR3s, and even passable WR2s.Edit: if Cobb puts up 700-800 receiving yards this year, he'll be a top20 receiver. If he tops 1000, he'll be a top5 guy. Antonio Brown was the #2 fantasy receiver last year, iirc.

The return yards make all the difference. Even if he only throws up 30 receiving yards, tack on another 30 in punt returns and suddenly he had a pretty decent day. Get him 59 receiving, 30 on punts, one long kickoff, and a TD in there somewhere, and Cobb is a top 5 receiver. Break off 70 yards in punt returns and you're the #1 fantasy receiver (which is where Cobb is ranked after week 1 in my league). I'm a huge fan in that league of riding marginal offensive weapons with heavy return value- guys like Hester and Cribbs have been quality WR3s, and even passable WR2s.
You described the scoring systems KR yards as minimal with bonuses. How many KR yards = 1 pt in that system?

You described the scoring systems KR yards as minimal with bonuses. How many KR yards = 1 pt in that system?
0.2 points per yard receiving or on punt returns6 points per TD0.1 point per yard on kickoff returns-2 points per kickoff return attempt. A 20 yard kickoff return = 0 points. A 40 yard return = 2 points, or the same as a 10 yard reception / punt return. A 100 yard kickoff return is as valuable as a 40 yard reception. Take the return, subtract 20, and divide by 2, and that's the receiving yard equivalent. Average 30 per return, and each return is like an extra 5 receiving yards.

Users who are viewing this thread