What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Expectations for Week 3 (1 Viewer)

It's hopefully the week us Ryan Mathews owners have been waiting for since we drafted him a month or so ago.

Many of us received some relative value on the dollar watching Mathews slide from a projected Top 5 back pre-preseason/pre-clavicle break, to an upside RB2 who slid in drafts as others went for more (*ahem*) durable options like Fred Jackson. (That's not to say FJax is not durable; more like "Hey, you never know what's going to happen week to week in this crazy world we call FF.")

Anyway, here we are. Week 3, with Ryan taking the field as the projected starter against an Atlanta D who was shredded by McGahee last night, and let the Chiefs RBs roll up a combined 132 and a TD against them in Week 1s tilt. This does not seem to be the same stout ATL run D as last year, but they may just needed to get their sea legs under them, and are rolling after a tidy defeat of Manning's Broncs. Then again, they have to be on the road on a short week.

On Mathews side is an Oline that enabled the likes of Battle, Brinkley, McClain and Brown to put up 120 and 2 last week against the woeful Titans, and they are riding a 2-0 streak as well. Mathews is rested and likely itching to go. That said, while the Chargers running game wasn't able to get it going against the Raiders, it's not as if they were facing top echelon Ds the last two weeks.

So, prognosticators, what are you expecting from the guy we are counting on to elevate our team's play in the halfback slot? Will he get the full load or will the team ease him in and use Battle in rotation? Will he show some rust or will he be raring to take on 20+ carries? Will SD prove they are for real this year, or will they fold like a house of cards, even at home, to their first real challenge of the season in an all-around well-balance team in ATL?

I am imagining Ryan as a lock for 100 all purpose -- 18 for 75 on the ground, 4 for 25 through the air -- and a TD to boot.

You?

:football:

ETA, or should I say, ETR(emove) the various extraneous t's I used in his last name....

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no point to ease him in, he should get a full load as his cardio is fine.

22 carries/110 rush

6 rec/48 rec

1 TD

McGahee shredded a pass prevent Atlanta team while down 27-7, let's not confuse the facts here.
Fair enough point, MOP, not trying to purposely mislead here. Yes, McGahee picked up 77 yards came in the first half which Denver was battling back from being down 10 points after the first quarter. But looking at the play-by-play, Denver's pass/run ratio was still about 60/40 in that half (22 pass plays to 15 run plays).And all that said, this still does not seem like the more vaunted Top 5-6 ATL run D of last year.

McGahee shredded a pass prevent Atlanta team while down 27-7, let's not confuse the facts here.
Fair enough point, MOP, not trying to purposely mislead here. Yes, McGahee picked up 77 yards came in the first half which Denver was battling back from being down 10 points after the first quarter. But looking at the play-by-play, Denver's pass/run ratio was still about 60/40 in that half (22 pass plays to 15 run plays).And all that said, this still does not seem like the more vaunted Top 5-6 ATL run D of last year.
I would not want to start him his 1st game whichever week it is. I would want to see it simmer a week 1st, and I know you never would mislead STC.

He will get normal use. He will get whatever he was going to get if was there in week 1 and 2. Maybe a little more with fresher legs. A bone is either healed or it isn't. If he is a cleared, there is no reason to ease him in.

I would not want to start him his 1st game whichever week it is. I would want to see it simmer a week 1st, and I know you never would mislead STC.
I agree with this but in my case I have no choice with Forte down.

That's a fairly simplistic synopsis. I believe he had something like 60 yards in the first half, including a 33-yard gain...Correction: someone below had it exactly right (77 yards)...should have kept reading...

I think i'll play it safe and stick with another option 1 more week.
How is benching a fully cleared Ryan Mathews the safe play? Who are you playing over him?I expect 15-55 with 6 rec-60 and a td
Going to stick with Morris one more week to see if Mathews can handle hits and make sure he isnt eased back. I dont want to start him and he gets 8 carries. Maybe if we read later this week that he wont be limited i'll change my mind.

How is benching a fully cleared Ryan Mathews the safe play? Who are you playing over?
assuming you drafted after the injury, it's possible he was your RB3. Or if you drafted Spiller after him, I can't see playing Mathews over Spiller

My options are SJax and him in one league, and him, CJ21, and Ridley in another. I think I'm rolling with him in both (as both are PPR)

1 carry for 0 yards (gets stuffed at the line). Out for the rest of the game and possibly another few weeks with a broken MANICURED fingernail.

1 carry for 0 yards (gets stuffed at the line). Out for the rest of the game and possibly another few weeks with a broken MANICURED fingernail.
Hey look, our first injury joke. Good one

FLOOR: 15 touches for 50 yards and 0 TD -- as Atlanta jumps out to another early lead and SD is forced to throw into that tough ATL pass D.

LIKELY: 23 touches for 125 yards and 1 TD -- likely a 70/30 split between rushing/recieving

UPSIDE: 28 touches for 200 yards and 2TD -- If he has heart, he could be out to prove himself tonight and make a statement

I, for one, welcome our porcelain overlord. Fact is, if you have a questionable play (i.e. McFadden v Pit....or Peterson v SF....Stewart v NYG...etc.) then Mathews gives you much more upside (with attendant much more risk).

Heck I am rolling him out there this week over McFadden and I am not even panicking on McFadden...I just think Mathews has a better matchup.

I'm starting him this week over Doug Martin
I am faced with the same decision, and I'll probably do the same... :unsure: I drafted Matthews at the end of the second round of a 14-team league, and Martin at the end of the third (3rd round reverse). Dallas, whom Martin faces, is ranked 23rd versus the run. The Falcons are 25th versus the run. Last years running defense stats (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense/year/2011) would seem to be a wash as well.

packaged a deal where i basically sent Morris to a skins fan for Mathews (was more involved but thats the jiff of it as I didnt trade anyone I havent picked off waivers this year) I could have waited a week held onto Morris and played it safe but I was afraid Mathews would smash faces and the guy would back out. Granted this is my RB3/Flex behind Murray and Lynch but i think the gamble was the best move and dont question it.

Heck I am rolling him out there this week over McFadden and I am not even panicking on McFadden...I just think Mathews has a better matchup.
:unsure: I do not own Mathews and wouldn't start him over McFadden anyway. The Steelers need to travel to Oakland and will be without Harrison and Polamalu. Mathews owners are getting excited to throw him into the mix, and some believe he's going to have a huge day. I'm very glad I do not own him.

i like to make up words, use run on sentences, bad grammer, and random punctuation. Is this gonna be a problem? lol

He will get normal use. He will get whatever he was going to get if was there in week 1 and 2. Maybe a little more with fresher legs. A bone is either healed or it isn't. If he is a cleared, there is no reason to ease him in.
Charles rogers broke his clavicle twice.

It's kinda funny seeing all the injury jokes. Just reminds me we know very little, in general. here we are bashing the former consensus top 5 pick, forecasting an injury, while we are now eating crow one way on Peterson (everyone was downgrading him), eating it another way on Chris Johnson, and its completely irrelevant on the one guy that INJURY was what all the talk was about (remember how everything surrounding DMAC was ALL about the injury, yet he's sucking with no injury at all and we are ignoring him and predicting doom for another guy.)

'Funkley said:
'hines said:
How is benching a fully cleared Ryan Mathews the safe play? Who are you playing over him?I expect 15-55 with 6 rec-60 and a td
Going to stick with Morris one more week to see if Mathews can handle hits and make sure he isnt eased back. I dont want to start him and he gets 8 carries. Maybe if we read later this week that he wont be limited i'll change my mind.
So starting a shanahan running back is suddenly a safe option? :confused:

'Warpig said:
wamp wampThis is kind of like the class clown who isn't funny but instead just makes everyone feel awkward for him.

Norv Turner has already said that Mathews will shoulder the load once he returns. So I think this is spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread