What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012 San Diego Chargers **** (1 Viewer)

Their fortunes will change when they move to Los Angeles.
Not unless there's a coinciding change in ownership.
Not sure how much it would change Spanos' financial decisions, but the Chargers would go from one of the lowest revenue teams to one of the highest. The $20M+ a year from the stadium naming right alone would put them in the top 10 and I would expect them to generate more money in ticket/merchandise sales in LA.

Los Angeles Chargers.

That'd be better than Los Angeles Raiders, yes?

San Diego Clippers move to L.A. and become L.A. Clippers.

Los Angeles Dodgers have over the years owned and tormented the San Diego Padres.

Then to see the Chargers move up to L.A.? San Diego sports fans will vomit. :boxing:

Their fortunes will change when they move to Los Angeles.
Not unless there's a coinciding change in ownership.
Not sure how much it would change Spanos' financial decisions, but the Chargers would go from one of the lowest revenue teams to one of the highest. The $20M+ a year from the stadium naming right alone would put them in the top 10 and I would expect them to generate more money in ticket/merchandise sales in LA.
He'd just have more money to make bad decisions with. Norv Turner as head coach. Unbelievable.

Why though has Norv not been fired yet?

I think there is some psychological or management concept at work here:The man or men that decided to can Schotty have to constantly hope or dream that it will be justified when the man they chose to replace him with magically transforms into a winning football-coacher.

Anything else is unacceptable. So... who tells the Big Guy he was absolutely 100% an idiot?
The fans tell the owner he's an idiot. And the media reports what the fans are saying. And the owner reads what the fans say. And then the owner moves the franchise to Los Angeles. In addition to firing Norv Turner, his coaching staff, and GM A.J. Smith.Blow the stupid parts up and build from there.
I'm getting the feeling they are going to be in LA next year.
Something has to give on San Diego's stadium situation, right? No changes there as of yet?

We know there has been progress on the L.A. front, the promoters didn't just get permitted in the Coliseum for nothing...

Another painful one...no lead is safe. This team is psychologically damaged. When Rivers got strip sacked, he acted like he was expecting it. No fire left in this team.

And even though the O-line is horrible, absolutely horrible, River's vision is bad. Should have easily hit Gates in the seam that last play, as the safety seemed way out of position creeping over to the post to watch DX.

Want to get the fan base energized? Fire Norv, AJ and O-line coach today.

Then bench Rivers for one game and see what Jesus can do back there. (Rivers should at least get the same punishment Matthews does for one game...that stat of most 4th quarter turnovers for Rivers proves the double standard)

Last edited by a moderator:
How deep is the draft going to be this year in terms of top tier talent?

Watching the end of the game yesterday after Rivers sucked it on that last 4th down it didn't seem like he or Norv cared that they had just lost the game when they were chatting on the sideline, it was like they were having a working lunch after a preseason practice. Weird.

Another painful one...
Just the opposite for me.For the first time in my life, I actually wanted the Chargers to lose. It kind of shocked me when I realized it; I don't think a fan should ever want his team to lose. Maybe it means I'm not a fan right now. I don't know.

But I picked against the Chargers in a pool. I wanted to make sure that Norv is gone. And I wanted the Chargers to get a higher draft pick. All of those interests were served by a loss.

The game was never really in doubt for me. I felt confident the whole time that they'd lose. When Rivers had the ball stripped in the fourth quarter, the script was playing out perfectly.

What I learned yesterday is that Charger games are really fun — a true pleasure — if you happen to be rooting for the other team. I quite enjoyed the game.

Then bench Rivers for one game and see what Jesus can do back there. (Rivers should at least get the same punishment Matthews does for one game...that stat of most 4th quarter turnovers for Rivers proves the double standard)

City and County of Los Angeles: "San Diego Chargers are welcome with open arms up to L.A. upon one condition."

Owner Spanos: "What's that?"

City and County of Los Angeles: "Fire GM AJ Smith and Head Coach Norv Turner. Immediately."

Owner Spanos: "Who do I replace them with?"

City and County of Los Angeles: "Anonymous bloggers from the internet. Anybody. Anybody is better than what's there now."

Offensive skill positions its rather weakI do like a couple of the top end OTs in this draft. Lewan from Michigan would look great at OT for SDGood year for the front 7 on defense too

Offensive skill positions its rather weakI do like a couple of the top end OTs in this draft. Lewan from Michigan would look great at OT for SDGood year for the front 7 on defense too
Hopefully they can lose out and have a shot at one of those tackles.
Well they should have a top 10 pick. HOPEFULLY AJ is gone, because he doesnt spend high picks on oline, he burns late picks and tries to develop. Chargers should get one of these guys if they stay in the top 10: Jake Mathews - OT - Texas A&MTaylor Lewan - OT - MichiganLuke Joeckel - OT - Texas A&M ( probably the 3rd or 4th pick) Jarvis Jones - LB - georgiaManti Teo - LB - NDBarkevious Mingo - DE - LSUthat is 6 really good players, sprinkle in the QBs (barkley and Geno) going in the top 10 and SD should manage to grab one of them

So what do the Chargers do about Rivers? Yes, the offensive line play is a big part of the problem (and why don't you invest more picks in the o line when you have a statue for a qb? But that's another conversation...) but I don't think it's the only problem. The only other QB to fall so precipitously in recent memory is Carson Palmer. He's continued to put up some numbers but do you really want him as the QB for your team? I can see Rivers following a similar path. If only we had someone promising behind him. It's yet another one of AJ Smith's failings. Once upon a time, this team had Rivers behind Brees, Michael Turner and Sproles behind LT, etc. Now we have Charlie Whitehurst and Jackie Battle/Ronnie Brown? Why?

Another painful one...no lead is safe. This team is psychologically damaged. When Rivers got strip sacked, he acted like he was expecting it. No fire left in this team.

And even though the O-line is horrible, absolutely horrible, River's vision is bad. Should have easily hit Gates in the seam that last play, as the safety seemed way out of position creeping over to the post to watch DX.

You're a fun read Dan, but then you go off and insert something mind-numbingly ridiculous like this. I'd never watch another Chargers game in my life if they benched Rivers for Whitehurst.

Hopefully they can lose out and have a shot at one of those tackles.
Well they should have a top 10 pick. HOPEFULLY AJ is gone, because he doesnt spend high picks on oline, he burns late picks and tries to develop. Chargers should get one of these guys if they stay in the top 10: Jake Mathews - OT - Texas A&MTaylor Lewan - OT - MichiganLuke Joeckel - OT - Texas A&M ( probably the 3rd or 4th pick) Jarvis Jones - LB - georgiaManti Teo - LB - NDBarkevious Mingo - DE - LSUthat is 6 really good players, sprinkle in the QBs (barkley and Geno) going in the top 10 and SD should manage to grab one of them
A glut of 4-8 teams right now competing for the 6th slot. Hopefully the Bolts lose out and we get in the top 5 and have a shot at Joeckel.

You're a fun read Dan, but then you go off and insert something mind-numbingly ridiculous like this. I'd never watch another Chargers game in my life if they benched Rivers for Whitehurst.
lol...you know me...I spout off right after the game, then cool back down during the week.But after I cooled back off, I started think of it from another standpoint..safety (versus my initial thought of punishment). O line is totally decimated now (in addition to being horrible)...I started having nightmares of Rivers getting hurt (a la Brees). Then I see ESPN talk about it too...saying Whitehurst is more mobile and might "survive" better....

So maybe my initial crazy idea not so bad (even if for entirely wrong reasons....lol)

I'd enjoy seeing Whitehurst play. From a fan's perspective, weeks 14-17 are essentially 2013 preseason games. Winning or losing doesn't matter (apart from the draft slot); it's just about preparing younger guys and seeing what they can do.

I don't think that would be the right move from the coaches' perspective, though. They should just be trying to win every week. Not to save their jobs — that's a lost cause. But just because winning is the whole point of playing a football game.

'DanFouts said:
'tommyGunZ said:

lol...you know me...I spout off right after the game, then cool back down during the week.But after I cooled back off, I started think of it from another standpoint..safety (versus my initial thought of punishment). O line is totally decimated now (in addition to being horrible)...I started having nightmares of Rivers getting hurt (a la Brees). Then I see ESPN talk about it too...saying Whitehurst is more mobile and might "survive" better....

So maybe my initial crazy idea not so bad (even if for entirely wrong reasons....lol)
Safety is a valid concern. The o-line was horrific BEFORE Sunday's injuries.

early Xmas present.

AJ did a good job for a few year but he really has regressed and got a little too full of himself.

I doubt he's unemployed long, good luck to whomever hires him

'Maurile Tremblay said:
Please don't hire Andy Reid. Please don't hire Andy Reid.
As an Eagles and Chargers fan I second this. Do not hire Reid. His game day coaching is avg at best-poor clock management, cant adjust. Over past 6 years he has not been any better then Norv. Questionable talent evaluation, mismangaement of coaches, stubborbn in his game plan design. The NFC and NFC east was weak in the first half of his 14 year (yes 14 year!) eagle career and they capitalized on that. The d was built around the previous regime picks and Jim Johnson (his hire, ill give him that) made it work. Since Johnson gone the d has been avg and this year historically bad. Im cursed as the chargers and eagles are the same, talented underachievers and now both have alot less talent.

Wow...what was that game?

I admit, Rivers proved me wrong..I thought he would end up the game with a concussion and broken leg by the first quarter. Offensive line was thinner but more aggressive in upfield blocking. They were playing with more fire since they were all 3rd stringers I guess.... :confused:

Bad part is we are not making playoffs, and each win at this point makes it more unlikely we get Matthews or Joeckel..well, maybe they go shutdown corner in first, then OT in second...

And DX...you are awesome.

Another bad part....my lack of faith and not starting Rivers this weekend...(thanks R Wilson for your poor FF performance..)

Commitment to Mathews and the run game gets you what?

A win.

Commitment to Rivers and the pass game gets you what?

Turnovers and losses.

Lesson: Commit to Mathews, commit to the run game, it opens up the passing game, and getting the win.

Now was that so hard, Norv?

P.S. Started DX and was worried. Started Torrey Smith and wasn't worried. D'oh!

I posted at the end of last season that I hoped they'd bring in Mike Nolan as HC. Now that Cam Cameron is available that would be the perfect combination. Part of me would like to see the team shift its focus to a power running game but Cameron is one of the best OC's in the NFL.

So what do the Chargers do about Rivers? Yes, the offensive line play is a big part of the problem (and why don't you invest more picks in the o line when you have a statue for a qb? But that's another conversation...) but I don't think it's the only problem. The only other QB to fall so precipitously in recent memory is Carson Palmer. He's continued to put up some numbers but do you really want him as the QB for your team? I can see Rivers following a similar path. If only we had someone promising behind him. It's yet another one of AJ Smith's failings. Once upon a time, this team had Rivers behind Brees, Michael Turner and Sproles behind LT, etc. Now we have Charlie Whitehurst and Jackie Battle/Ronnie Brown? Why?
Short sighted decisions like trading up to get Mathews is a major reason. At the time it seemed to me the team had too many holes in the starting lineup to move up for a RB, let alone sacrificing depth by packaging multiple high picks. I also hated trading up to draft Hester but at the time it was much more difficult for a rookie to make the team so getting the guy they wanted made more sense.I'd like to say Rivers would bounce back with a better OL but sometimes a player develops bad habits out of necessity of the situation. If Rivers didn't force any throws and just threw the ball away whenever the pocket collapsed... SD wouldn't even have 5 wins. Yeah, he misses open guys... just like every other QB that's on the move at the snap of the ball. Some people say David Carr never recovered from the OL HOU had assembled in front of him. This could be a similar situation.

Chargers | Could show interest in Jake Long Sat Dec 15, 01:08 PM

The San Diego Chargers could show interest in Miami Dolphins impending free-agent OT Jake Long if he becomes available this offseason.

this would be huge! I imgaine 31 teams would be drooling all over themselves to snag Long. Why on earth Miami wouldnt franchise him is beyond me

Chargers | Could show interest in Jake Long Sat Dec 15, 01:08 PM The San Diego Chargers could show interest in Miami Dolphins impending free-agent OT Jake Long if he becomes available this offseason.this would be huge! I imgaine 31 teams would be drooling all over themselves to snag Long. Why on earth Miami wouldnt franchise him is beyond me
While I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it, seems like one of those "throwing #### at a wall to see what stick" type reports. We don't even know who will be making those decisions next season so it seems nothing more than SD being a team that desperately needs a tackle(for the 4th season in a row).

Chargers | Could show interest in Jake Long Sat Dec 15, 01:08 PM The San Diego Chargers could show interest in Miami Dolphins impending free-agent OT Jake Long if he becomes available this offseason.this would be huge! I imgaine 31 teams would be drooling all over themselves to snag Long. Why on earth Miami wouldnt franchise him is beyond me
While I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it, seems like one of those "throwing #### at a wall to see what stick" type reports. We don't even know who will be making those decisions next season so it seems nothing more than SD being a team that desperately needs a tackle(for the 4th season in a row).
True, but it's a perfect match. No way do I see the Chargers ponying up for him though. I fully expect them to have another crappy year in SD and then move to LA in 2014.

Commitment to Mathews and the run game gets you what? A win. Commitment to Rivers and the pass game gets you what? Turnovers and losses. Lesson: Commit to Mathews, commit to the run game, it opens up the passing game, and getting the win. Now was that so hard, Norv? P.S. Started DX and was worried. Started Torrey Smith and wasn't worried. D'oh!
See what happens when you commit to Mathews?

Who sits this week? Everyone? No-one? Seems silly to put Rivers out there.
We won't see it but I'd love to see L.Green get a lot of playing time. I'm afraid he's the type of "project" player that gets wasted during a regime change. Most new GM's/coaches aren't nearly as patient or invested in the last guys project. This could very easily be his only chance to show something if they shift toward a more run oriented offense like I was hoping for at the end of last season. The defense could win games if the offense was more of a grinding running game with fewer TO's. People that think this offense needs more targets in the passing game are confused imo. They haven't had any time to pass to the targets they do have for the past two years.

Sal.palantonio was on philly radio this am saying ESPN is.reporting that Andy Reid is NOT on the chargers short list for head coach. :excited: :goodposting: :thumbup:

Daniel Jeremiah:

San Diego ChargersOut: Norv TurnerMy prediction: Jon Gruden. This is the perfect opportunity for both parties. Gruden gets a proven veteran quarterback in Philip Rivers and a decent amount of authority in player personnel, while the Chargers get a big-name headline grabber to help sell tickets and revitalize the offense.

They're hiring a GM first and then that guy will be hiring the next coach. Which means whoever the coach will be won't be getting the lead in roster construction. I imagine that rules out several possible coaching candidates immediately.

Should someone fire up the 2013 thread? I think we need to wash ourselves completely clean of the 2012 season.

They're hiring a GM first and then that guy will be hiring the next coach. Which means whoever the coach will be won't be getting the lead in roster construction. I imagine that rules out several possible coaching candidates immediately.Should someone fire up the 2013 thread? I think we need to wash ourselves completely clean of the 2012 season.
:goodposting:

They're hiring a GM first and then that guy will be hiring the next coach. Which means whoever the coach will be won't be getting the lead in roster construction. I imagine that rules out several possible coaching candidates immediately.
That's unfortunate. Seems like a dated line of thinking. Ultimately, to get a quality HC you have to give him enough power to draft the players that fit his system best. While the HC/GM combination position may not be best I do think both are working so closely together their hire should more or less be a package deal. If David Caldwell got hired I would hope that might raise the likelihood that Mike Nolan would at the very least be a candidate. Nolan as HC, Cam Cameron as OC, and Pagano as DC would be solid imo.Should be an attractive position to fill with a playoff caliber defense and a playoff caliber QB. The positions that really need to be addressed are OL, CB, and RB. The last two can be fixed quickly(not will, but can) while the first is in such shambles that it will take at least a few seasons to fix. I guess the silver lining is they can't possibly find guys off the street that play much worse... grasping, I know. If Gaither can get healthy and Vasquez is willing to be the lowest paid starting RG in the NFL I wouldn't mind seeing them back. I'll be disappointed if any of the rest of them are in a Charger uniform in 2013.

It's hard to imagine Gaither playing for the Chargers again. I know that cutting him would be a huge cap hit, but there've been newspaper reports (or at least tweets by newspaper reporters) of numerous unnamed teammates being disgusted with his lack of work ethic and dedication.

Maybe a new coaching staff can do something with him, but he just seems like a lost cause right now.

Users who are viewing this thread