What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

Animal Kingdom - Excellent conception, muddy execution. Even though there was a lot more plotting in this than the film I reviled here a coupla wks ago (Blue Valentine), I had much the same problem with it. The director chose to portray the messiness of crim life by making the dramatics equally messy. I know i'm an old fart for requiring highly-conceived structure & dialogue when so many appear to have embraced naturalism and organic performance in place of classic forms, but i cant let go of the feeling that "behavior" is the job of actors & "perspective" is the job of writers & directors and that no movie is complete without both. I fear it all is starting to pass me by, but it still stinks of laziness to me.

That could be why i spent most of the 2nd half thinking what a wonderful premise for a play this would be. SPOILER - A teen orphaned into having to board at the home/headquarters of a crime family, with the story of the demise of the enterprise told by the comings & goings of cops & robbers from the house. When the innocent witnesses too much of the guilty, the family is forced to wonder if the "thickness" of blood is diluted by generation. Arthur Miller meets The Godfather. Not a doubt in my mind that Mama Smurf (matriarch of the family, slipperily played by Oscar-nominated Jacki Weaver) could be as great a character as Willie Loman or Blanche DuBois in the hands of the right playwright.

Anyway, much good movie-making up in here, if not particularly my kind. 3.2/5
caught this last night. some good acting and decent plotting but not a lot of dramatic tension. it suffered from the central character being written as a cipher and followed through with a leaden performance. there were two fine performances paired with interesting characters - joel edgerton and ben mendlesohn - but rest were pretty meh. it could have been much, much better.oh, while i am at it, can we just give the impressionable-youth-mentored-and-corrupted-and-loyalties-challenged-before-finding-his-moral-bearings plot a rest?
I liked Animal Kingdom, and I know expectations were part of it, but I was disappointed with it. It was getting great reviews, including here IIRC for the most part, but overall I didnt think it was much better than average. The lead teen was a little weak, but overall I did like the acting. Having watched this only a couple days after seeing Warrior, I wish Edgerton had a bigger role but he was once again good. I thought Ben Mendelsohn was great and really stole the scenes. Never heard of him before seeing this, but was also impressed by him in Trespass and he was a big reason why I liked Killing Them Softly as much as I did. Animal Kingdom had a lot of potential but I agree with both of you as to why it didnt reach it.
Edgerton was great in the few scenes he was in. I was expecting him to be the character that drove the action. Mendelsohn was interesting and a little mysterious. Of the recent Aussie films, I liked "The Square" the most.
He was great, but since he was billed as one of the leads, I didnt see that coming and wish he had a bigger role.I know The Square was on instant watch, have been meaning to check that one out. I saw another Aussie film a few months ago with Edgerton called Acolytes. A few teenagers find a dead body and track down Edgerton. Not sure if I'd recommend it really, but it was different and interesting, had a real good ending, and Edgerton was once again very good.

Saw They Live

My expectations must have been too high. Thought it was mediocre at best.
Wife and I have tickets to see it at the theater next week. I absolutely love it and have seen it half a dozen times.

I like how I can go to the restroom, order a pizza, check my email and have a smoke while the initial fight scene goes on and not miss anything.

Saw They Live

Wife and I have tickets to see it at the theater next week. I absolutely love it and have seen it half a dozen times.

I like how I can go to the restroom, order a pizza, check my email and have a smoke while the initial fight scene goes on and not miss anything.
He really should have just tried on the glasses.

Valhalla Rising

3/10

Nice visuals, awful everything else. Avoid when options exist.
I didnt think it was great, but it worked for me. Could easily see how people would be bored by it though.
Now I'm definitely a visuals guy- and I only caught part of this... but it's a mess. still nice to look at, but definitely not enough to warrant more than checking out a few minutes to get a feel for the eye-candy.

I watched Brick this weekend. Other than a little bit of difficulty figuring out some of the dialogue (fast talkers), the movie was brilliant.

A very smartly made film noir set at a high school. I would have thought that concept to be very hard to pull off, but it was.
Just saw Brick and pretty well agree with this. The movie is a pretty big stretch, but I'm way more forgiving for a film that's ambitious as this than I am for your standard superhero film, for example. Pretty brilliant film even though it was kind of difficult to understand the kids' "accelerated English" with how fast they talk. I saw that many in this thread thought the acting was poor, but I had no problems with it whatsoever, and would even go as far as saying I thought it was one of the best acting in a movie set in a high school that I've seen.
:goodposting:

Switched to HBO from Showtime so have a bunch of movies to watch finally. Caught Margret last night (written and directed by Kenneth Lonnergan w/ Anna Pacquin, Matt Damon, Mark Ruffalo, Jean Reno). Fantastic cast and fantastic casting- some superfluous/self-involved direction, particularly with his use of slow-motion. I wanted to like this- a lot of it felt honest in terms of dialogue and interaction and the acting felt honest too, but I ####### hated every self-involved character in it. Maybe that's a success for the movie in eliciting fairly strong emotions from me... even if most of them revolved around being annoyed.

I watched Brick this weekend. Other than a little bit of difficulty figuring out some of the dialogue (fast talkers), the movie was brilliant.

A very smartly made film noir set at a high school. I would have thought that concept to be very hard to pull off, but it was.
Just saw Brick and pretty well agree with this. The movie is a pretty big stretch, but I'm way more forgiving for a film that's ambitious as this than I am for your standard superhero film, for example. Pretty brilliant film even though it was kind of difficult to understand the kids' "accelerated English" with how fast they talk. I saw that many in this thread thought the acting was poor, but I had no problems with it whatsoever, and would even go as far as saying I thought it was one of the best acting in a movie set in a high school that I've seen.
Subtitles FTW.

Subtitles FTW.
I don't think my on demand provider offers the option of turning on subtitles.

Very ambitious but I was bored with the dialogue 15 minutes in. Didn't help that they made JGL look like a goober.

Saw They Live

See what I mean - it's revered as a classic here! No wonder I was disappointed with this mediocre film.

Saw They Live

See what I mean - it's revered as a classic here! No wonder I was disappointed with this mediocre film.
Just wondering - did you go in expecting a legit sci-fi movie or did you know it was going to have Carpenter's brand of humor? It's hardly a masterpiece of film making but it's brilliant in its own way. I remember more about They Live than 99% of the movies I've seen.

I watched "Mama" tonight in an inner city theater. Very good horror flick; similar in plot and execution as The Grudge. Black folks were screaming and laughing throughout the movie. :thumbup:

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Beautiful movie. A natural companion piece to The Tree of Life. Amazing people live in such abject poverty.

'Mr. Mojo said:
'cstu said:
'cosjobs said:
'Mr. Mojo said:
Saw They Live

I just ran out of bubblegum.

'cstu said:
'Mr. Mojo said:
'cstu said:
'cosjobs said:
'Mr. Mojo said:
Saw They Live

Just wondering - did you go in expecting a legit sci-fi movie or did you know it was going to have Carpenter's brand of humor? It's hardly a masterpiece of film making but it's brilliant in its own way. I remember more about They Live than 99% of the movies I've seen.
I thought it would be a legitimate sci-fi with some humor (I loved The Thing and really like Big Trouble in LC) . It started pretty slow and ended kind of suddenly. Of course I liked the bubble gum line, but it took soooo long to get to that point.

'cstu said:
'Mr. Mojo said:
'cstu said:
'cosjobs said:
'Mr. Mojo said:
Saw They Live

I thought it would be a legitimate sci-fi with some humor (I loved The Thing and really like Big Trouble in LC) . It started pretty slow and ended kind of suddenly. Of course I liked the bubble gum line, but it took soooo long to get to that point.
It definitely has a strong following. Alamo is having three screenings and all sold out a week in advance, at $2/ticket more than new releases.

The Three Stooges

No, I did not pay to rent this. Free with HBO.

This was a bad idea to begin with. I like remakes. But unlike Carpenter's The Thing - a movie where the remake improved upon the original - we have a movie attempting the impossible task of trying to be as funny as the original Stooges. This movie was awkward before the extended baby urine gag. Once I got to the baby urine, that was enough.

'Mr. Mojo said:
'cstu said:
'cosjobs said:
'Mr. Mojo said:
Saw They Live

I just ran out of bubblegum.
I haven't seen it in like 20 years, but I recall enjoying it.

rewatched Pulp Fiction since I saw it last like 15 years ago. Amazing as everyone in the world says by now. I personally feel the movie would have been just as good or if not better if the movie was in chronological order but this is a masterpiece for the ages.

Looper:

Really wanted to like this one, but it fell flat for me. I am a huge time travel geek, and at the core there is a decent movie here. However by the end it just blurs into a CGI, telekinetic mess with ideas that didn't seem to go anywhere. Much better time travel movies out there to view instead of spending a couple hours on this one. 5/10
This is pretty much exactly how I perceived the movie. Lots of things in place for a great movie: acting, writing, plot, etc. But not the critical darling I was promised.
Not the critical darling but I still was very entertained. Definetly worth checking out.
Certainly worth a rental.
Agreed.

rewatched Pulp Fiction since I saw it last like 15 years ago. Amazing as everyone in the world says by now. I personally feel the movie would have been just as good or if not better if the movie was in chronological order but this is a masterpiece for the ages.
Hmm... part of what I love about the movie is that it's not linear.

The greatness of the movie is that it follows the traditional narrative arc (setup, inciting incident, rising action, mid-story cool-down, apparent defeat, then the hero saves the day by overcoming his inherent weakness/fatal flaw, etc.) in order, yet the scenes are not.

The Woman In Black - 7.25/10

As someone who is not generally a fan of the horror genre, I thought this one was sufficiently creepy. Starts slow and it's nothing earth shattering but I enjoyed myself.

'jdoggydogg said:
The Three Stooges

This was a bad idea to begin with. I like remakes. But unlike Carpenter's The Thing - a movie where the remake improved upon the original - we have a movie attempting the impossible task of trying to be as funny as the original Stooges. This movie was awkward before the extended baby urine gag. Once I got to the baby urine, that was enough.
Plus they cut out the Kate Upton scene :thumbdown:

As someone who is not generally a fan of the horror genre, I thought this one was sufficiently creepy. Starts slow and it's nothing earth shattering but I enjoyed myself.
almost got this a few times from my library but passed. I will have to check it out now.

Looper: I don't get the love for this; thought it was average at best. The ending was given away pretty early and pretty much killed any suspense. Willis needs to stop. Never liked the guy and his shtick is played out. JGL needs to stick to dramatic roles. Him as a badass just doesn't work. 2/5

Looper: I don't get the love for this; thought it was average at best. The ending was given away pretty early and pretty much killed any suspense. Willis needs to stop. Never liked the guy and his shtick is played out. JGL needs to stick to dramatic roles. Him as a badass just doesn't work. 2/5
And after watching
, I hate it. (Link filled with spoilers)

'jdoggydogg said:
The Three Stooges

Plus they cut out the Kate Upton scene :thumbdown:
are you kidding me? I never watched the film but I recall the Upton scene creating a brouhaha before the release, I cant believe they would actually cut that scene from the film altogether

The greatness of the movie is that it follows the traditional narrative arc (setup, inciting incident, rising action, mid-story cool-down, apparent defeat, then the hero saves the day by overcoming his inherent weakness/fatal flaw, etc.) in order, yet the scenes are not.
interesting :goodposting:

Switched to HBO from Showtime so have a bunch of movies to watch finally. Caught Margret last night (written and directed by Kenneth Lonnergan w/ Anna Pacquin, Matt Damon, Mark Ruffalo, Jean Reno). Fantastic cast and fantastic casting- some superfluous/self-involved direction, particularly with his use of slow-motion. I wanted to like this- a lot of it felt honest in terms of dialogue and interaction and the acting felt honest too, but I ####### hated every self-involved character in it. Maybe that's a success for the movie in eliciting fairly strong emotions from me... even if most of them revolved around being annoyed.
Nobody else saw this? It affected me- want to see how others felt about it.

I liked it, too. Old fashioned, creepy, suspense in scary setting.
And...
I like that it breaks with traditional ghost convention with the ending. Normally once you help a vengeful spirit out that spirit finds peace and leaves you alone. But this one keeps on with the hate even though the main character didn't even have anything to do with her kid.
No really, it's a spoiler. Don't click the link if you don't want to be spoiled. I'm not kidding.

'jdoggydogg said:
The Three Stooges

Dumb idea for sure. They should make a biopic about them, not attempt to do their slapstick with actors portraying Moe, Larry, Shemp, and Curly.

'jdoggydogg said:
The Three Stooges

Dumb idea for sure. They should make a biopic about them, not attempt to do their slapstick with actors portraying Moe, Larry, Shemp, and Curly.
I agree that the baby pee scene didn't work, although Curly changing diapers which initiated it was pure Stooge all the way, but not every scene in the original Stooges worked either.I enjoyed it overall and thought it was a faithful and respectful representation of the Stooges and their humor. Not the funniest movie I have seen but I still laughed a lot during the first and third acts.

And how in the world did The Thing remake/prequel improve on the original? It copied the original and didn't do a very good job of it.

Saw the following over the weekend:Silver Linings Playbook...quirky and dark, but touching and enjoyable.The Impossible...powerful...recreation of tsunami is amazing and horrifying...very emotional movie...left me touched and drained.Life of Pi...as all have said, visually stunning...an odd movie...I had no background if book/story...enjoyed it but didn't love it. Worth seeing once. Robert Parker is an amazing CGI creation.

Id like to watch Looper again, still unsure how much I really liked it, but I dont recall anything supporting the bolded.

Id like to watch Looper again, still unsure how much I really liked it, but I dont recall anything supporting the bolded.
When they are talking in the diner, JGL says 'So if I die, you disappear' (or something like that). I would have wagered any amount that that was how he was going to save the day at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread